Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama: Recession could delay rescinding Bush

AROCES

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• AlexG

• questionmark

• Tiggs

So, to those who thinks trickle down does not work, explain.

What's to explain? We saw the effects of voodoo economics, aka trickle down, in the 80's. It doesn't work. It doesn't create jobs (when the era of Reagan-Bush ended, unemployment was at 7.4%). It just serves to concentrate wealth at the top.

WASHINGTON — Democrat Barack Obama says he would delay rescinding President Bush's tax cuts on wealthy Americans if he becomes the next president and the economy is in a recession, suggesting such an increase would further hurt the economy.

Nevertheless, Obama has no plans to extend the Bush tax cuts beyond their expiration date, as Republican John McCain advocates. Instead, Obama wants to push for his promised tax cuts for the middle class, he said in a broadcast interview aired Sunday.

"Even if we're still in a recession, I'm going to go through with my tax cuts," Obama said. "That's my priority."

So the tax cuts on the middle class still go through, and he will see where we are before rescinding Bush's tax cuts on the top 1%.

I don't see what your problem is with this, other than it's Obama. Do you really want someone who's so inflexible that he can't adapt to changing conditions? (i.e. McCain)

What's to explain? We saw the effects of voodoo economics, aka trickle down, in the 80's. It doesn't work. It doesn't create jobs (when the era of Reagan-Bush ended, unemployment was at 7.4%). It just serves to concentrate wealth at the top.

When asked if he will tax the rich still if the economy stays weak, he said he has to reevaluate. Why???

So the tax cuts on the middle class still go through, and he will see where we are before rescinding Bush's tax cuts on the top 1%.

I don't see what your problem is with this, other than it's Obama. Do you really want someone who's so inflexible that he can't adapt to changing conditions? (i.e. McCain)

Why not tax the rich regardless of the economic condition if that is the best thing to do?

When asked if he will tax the rich still if the economy stays weak, he said he has to reevaluate. Why???

Would you prefer him to be like bush who "stays the course" in Iraq for three years, doing the wrong thing, or would you prefer him to get the latest information based on the changing economy that we have and make the right decision?

Are you more worried about him changing his plan, or doing the right thing? what is more important?

Why not tax the rich regardless of the economic condition if that is the best thing to do?

Because given the unprecedented financial meltdown going on, it might not be the best thing to do.

Do you advocate picking a position and sticking to it regardless of the facts on the ground? Do you want a leader that is that inflexible?

Oh, wait. You supported Bush, didn't you?

Never mind then.

Edited by AlexG

The rich do get taxed, look at the plan.

The rich do get taxed, look at the plan.

Don't wiggle around, he said he increase the tax on the rich. But will reconsider if the economy stays weak.

Explain then, why?

Because given the unprecedented financial meltdown going on, it might not be the best thing to do.

Do you advocate picking a position and sticking to it regardless of the facts on the ground? Do you want a leader that is that inflexible?

Oh, wait. You supported Bush, didn't you?

Never mind then.

OK, we are getting somewhere here.

It might not be the best thing to do because...... go on say it.... ;)

OK, we are getting somewhere here.

It might not be the best thing to do because...... go on say it.... ;)

I don't know that it's not the best thing to do. And I'll lay odds that the Bush tax cuts do die. But Obama is keeping his options open.

Would you prefer him to be like bush who "stays the course" in Iraq for three years, doing the wrong thing, or would you prefer him to get the latest information based on the changing economy that we have and make the right decision?

Are you more worried about him changing his plan, or doing the right thing? what is more important?

Stay on topic now..... :)

Tells us why do you think he might not raise taxes if the economy stays weak....

Tells us why do you think he might not raise taxes if the economy stays weak....

'might not raise taxes' means letting the Bush cuts on the top 1% expire.

Why do I think? That's not the topic. And I'm not surrounded by any number of high powered economic advisors.

If it's the best thing to do, yes. But this nonsense 'regardless of the economic condition', is this typical libertarian thinking. Cause if it is, it's not too good.

'might not raise taxes' means letting the Bush cuts on the top 1% expire.

Why do I think? That's not the topic. And I'm not surrounded by any number of high powered economic advisors.

Yup, might not. He is already telling you, his promise of tax increase on the rich might not be a good idea.

If it's the best thing to do, yes. But this nonsense 'regardless of the economic condition', is this typical libertarian thinking. Cause if it is, it's not too good.

So, do you agree now that tax increase on the rich ,might not be good when the economy is weak?

Ask him, I dont know the guy.

If you were to contact someone like Alan Goolsbee who advises him he would give you a better answer. Its pretty clear that more economist support obama than mccain, so whatever he is doing gets support of more people that know the economy far better than you or I do.

Personally, the latest plan I have seen hasnt changed much at all, so any minute changes that might be being offered are not big enough to make an issue out of. Minor nudges here and there are going to be done to both mccains and obamas plan as the economy freaks out for the next week or two...

Wouldn't you be a bit concerned if mccains plan hadn't changed after the bailout? Has his changed? have you checked?

Yup, might not. He is already telling you, his promise of tax increase on the rich might not be a good idea.

Yes, isn't it good to have someone who considers how things are, and doesn't let ideology or slogans lock him into an untenable and potentially incorrect decision.

As a conservative, you just don't like flexible thinking, do you?

Ask him, I dont know the guy.

If you were to contact someone like Alan Goolsbee who advises him he would give you a better answer. Its pretty clear that more economist support obama than mccain, so whatever he is doing gets support of more people that know the economy far better than you or I do.

Personally, the latest plan I have seen hasnt changed much at all, so any minute changes that might be being offered are not big enough to make an issue out of. Minor nudges here and there are going to be done to both mccains and obamas plan as the economy freaks out for the next week or two...

Wouldn't you be a bit concerned if mccains plan hadn't changed after the bailout? Has his changed? have you checked?

oh , I thought you are one of those who can simply figure it out.

Well, let me help you then. He won't raise taxes on the rich for that will weaken the economy even further, and he needs it to recover if he wants a second term.

Yes, isn't it good to have someone who considers how things are, and doesn't let ideology or slogans lock him into an untenable and potentially incorrect decision.

As a conservative, you just don't like flexible thinking, do you?

Nice try!

The thing is you have argued that trickle down does not work, and now you are very understanding if Obama would give it a try since the economy is stagnant.

oh , I thought you are one of those who can simply figure it out.

Well, let me help you then. He won't raise taxes on the rich for that will weaken the economy even further, and he needs it to recover if he wants a second term.

Then you can provide some proof of that. I have looked at his plan and it taxes the rich(the same as it had), so you must be looking at something else. Provide a link or something to show that he is no longer taxing the rich.

You remember how to post a link right?

He won't may not raise taxes on the rich for that will might weaken the economy even further in this unprecedented economic chaos

I fixed it for you. Now it's correct. Very certain and doctrainare, aren't you?

I'll be around to continue this at about 8:30 EST.