Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A name says it all! (perception/inference)

MasterPo

In the Joe Plumber thread I started it wasn't my intention to infere a link from B. Hussein Obama to Saddam or anyone else in that thread. The thread was about the wacky tax concept being proported as helpful. Those who have read my posts before well know if I want to make a connection I'm not going to be subtle about it. ;)

Howver.....all the comments have served to prove my point from a prior thread:

Perception is 9/10th reality!

I have long said that if he is elected the terrorist element will interpret this as a sign that a B. Hussein Obama administration will go soft on them.

In fact, in the other thread here I said no one would vote for a President named "Charles Manson" or "Adolph Hitler" because of the inference it makes. I was slammed for saying that.

I was slammed for this opinion, being told no one will make that kind of association or care about the President's name.

So now, that theory was accidentally put to the test - I used a man's given legal name - everyone including a mod assumed I was trying to link him to Saddam.

Thank you all for proving my point!!

I hope you learned something about yourselves from it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlindMessiah

• MasterPo

• Fluffybunny

• Vampwitchenstein

This is a nice way of pawning off a childish name game that you have been playing. It wasnt your intent, and you know it, otherwise you would have used the name he uses; barack obama. He doesnt use hussein, just as mccain doesnt use sydney. You tried to play the link and get people riled up and you know it.

You used it for the obvious reason and are now trying to backtrack.

It is sad that a grown man would sink to such a thing. It reflects poorly on you.

Perception is 9/10th reality!

Yes... and our perception of you is one of a hateful right wing propagandists. So in your own words, you're honest and correct at least 10% of the time.

This is a nice way of pawning off a childish name game that you have been playing. It wasnt your intent, and you know it, otherwise you would have used the name he uses; barack obama. He doesnt use hussein, just as mccain doesnt use sydney. You tried to play the link and get people riled up and you know it.

It is sad that a grown man would sink to such a thing. It reflects poorly on you.

100% agreed.

Saying that's not how you intended it to be taken is completely false.

Personally I think all these 'stinky plane', Hussein Obama', and 'assassination plot because he's black' threads are disgusting and only going to get worse as well as multiply within the last days before the election, and if Obama wins, afterwards too.

When will society, mankind grow UP and get past this sick crap?

Edit: One of my favorite (but acknowledged stale) sayings when appropriate (mostly for silly stuff & said in jest) is 'Your Mama just didn't raise you right!'

I can say as far as this kind of stuff is concerned, mine did.

Edited by BlondiGeist

When will society, mankind grow UP and get past this sick crap?

Never. Did you ever read the poem by John Hall Wheelock, "Earth?"

Just so I'm clear about the rule around here...

It's ok to refer to Sarah Palin as "Phalin"

It's ok to refer to the McCain/Palin ticket as "McPhalin"

It's ok to call President Bush a longer list of nasty names than there is space here to name

It's ok to slam me with all the above bad names

And it's ok for a certain forum member to constantly refer to me a "Poo"

But I can't use a man's legitimate middle name?

Evidently you're peachy keen with the "McCan't" and "Phalin" references? I've certainly not seen you (or any mods) take the authors of those sophomoric smears to task for those transgressions.

Quit whining. I get called the BlindMess all the time.

Quit whining. I get called the BlindMess all the time.

That's part of my point: I took it in stride and never once complained! :yes:

It's ok to call President Bush a longer list of nasty names than there is space here to name

No its not right to make fun of peoples names, yours or anyones. It is childish. As I said it is third grade mentality that an adult should be past. The fact that it is his legitimate middle name has no bearing on the discussion and you know it, for the simple fact of what the name is linked to.

You can keep playing coy, but it isnt working, and NO ONE is buying it. It looks silly. You have tried to pull a childish name related trick based on the fact that the guys middle name happens to be the same as a dictator we have been fighting with. He doesnt use it, for good reason. By you using it, you are trying to get that knee jerk reaction that comes with the name saddam hussein. You can try to deny it, but you'd be lying. Its been tried across the country and failed miserably. If George Bushs' middle name was Hitler, or Dahmer it wouldnt be any cooler to use that against him.

You can use his middle name all you want, but you look like a childish desperate person without the skills to be able to discuss the democratic process at an adult level, so you have to resort to use the guys unfortunate middle name to tear the candidate down. Its like you cant come up with anything better; thats sad. I personally would be embarrassed, but that is just me and I can discuss things at a higher level than that.

Evidently you're peachy keen with the "McCan't" and "Phalin" references? I've certainly not seen you (or any mods) take the authors of those sophomoric smears to task for those transgressions.

I have never had anyone complain, and I havent seen anything glaring at me, so it hasnt been an issue.

If you will re-read (or read it the first time) my OP in this thread I said I had no intention of starting all this. But now I am glad it did because it clearly shows all what slaint a number of people here clearly have, shows that I was right about concept of "perception" as it relates to a name, and proves that I am a bigger man than most since I haven't resorted to calling anyone names or slams.

Thanks for helping an ol' conservative out. :tu:

I have never had anyone complain, and I havent seen anything glaring at me, so it hasnt been an issue.

Yet you've made it an "issue" in this one instance. Mmmkay. Clear as mud.

Thanks for helping an ol' conservative out. :tu:

no.no...not that much modesty.... the word is reactionary

Yet you've made it an "issue" in this one instance. Mmmkay. Clear as mud.

No one is going to agree on everything and things are judgment calls. Watching you, somethings you post I agree with, some things I think are out in left field...thats the way it is.

I am entitled to my opinions and I find this situation particularly wrong, so if you dont like it and feel I am out of line feel free to take it up with Saru. :tu:

That's part of my point: I took it in stride and never once complained! :yes:

Nor I. I just resorted to there tactics and mocked their screen name. :tu:

I'm for using all the names people want but the mods disagree and they're the deciders. ;)

Is there ever a time when a good Bush joke can't fit?

Perhaps because the right isn't so worried about political correctness. I mean I got warned yesterday for flame baiting by referring to Obama, McCain, and Bush as Hussein, Sidney, and Walker as a joke. I think people get a little too uptight.

Sorry MasterPo. I truly didn't think you cared. I won't call you that again now that I know it bothers you.

Sorry MasterPo. I truly didn't think you cared. I won't call you that again now that I know it bothers you.

If it were me I'd just start calling you SoCrazy. :lol:

Call me anything you want. Just don't call me late for dinner! ;)

Seriously, didn't bother me. Just using it as an example.

Seeing as I'm one of those who reacted, MasterPo, you wouldn't be surprised to see me post here?

As for perception - why is it surprising that perception influences us? I'm sorry, but I didn't think anyone was unsensitive (I used 'un' specifically because of the perjorative of 'insensitive') enough to not think it does?

I see no problem with using names as humour or a sign of familiarity, I've been called a few by my friends!!

What I find particularly intriguing about the whole US election, though, is the blind partisanship. Are people in the US really this tribal? Honest question, not meant to slight anyone.

What I find particularly intriguing about the whole US election, though, is the blind partisanship. Are people in the US really this tribal? Honest question, not meant to slight anyone.

A fine question, indeed.

My apologies to the board for being guilty of delving into tribalism the past couple evenings. A toast to either president-elect, and I wish him to exceed all hopes and expectations. I bid you a fine evening!

Are people in the US really this tribal?

You have no idea. Although I think people in general are fairly tribal.