Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A name says it all! (perception/inference)

MasterPo

You have no idea. Although I think people in general are fairly tribal.

Could you define this 'tribalism' for me? I am wondering if it's meaning to ppl on this particular thread is the same as mine.

Purely for educational reasons, you can PM me if needed/will corrupt the thread.

Thank you.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlindMessiah

• MasterPo

• Fluffybunny

• Vampwitchenstein

Could you define this 'tribalism' for me? I am wondering if it's meaning to ppl on this particular thread is the same as mine.

Purely for educational reasons, you can PM me if needed/will corrupt the thread.

Thank you.

When I say humans are tribal is that we form small groups, and we stick to them. If there is a crowd of twenty people, 3-5 factions will usually form. Those factions will then stand by each other. When placed in a larger area, like a nation, we break off into factions based on many things like religion or politics. People tend to form "tribes" and hold to them. I've read that the cause of this was that during our early evolutionary development humans lived in tribes with small groups of people ranging from 100-150. I myself am a very tribal person and I guess hypocritical by nature. I have my own "tribe" and so long as these people stick by me, I'll stick by them. For example, if I meet someone who shows kindness to me, and then starts trouble with someone else, I'm going to defend them, even if they are at fault, because they extended friendship to me. This is a perfect example of tribal behavior. I personally am not tribal in the global sense, in that, I don't feel loyalties to large groups, such as atheists or libertarians or Americans, but more tribal on a personal level of individuals. However many people are politically and religiously tribal. Democrats defend Bill Clinton for the sex scandal while Republicans attack him. If McCain wins this election and has a sex scandal, Republicans will defend him, and Democrats will attack him. It's just how people tick.

Thank you.

I Agree.

I have been learning some about the different 'Tribes' of Iraq (and the area) and why us (and US) interfering in their tribal warfare that has gone on for centuries was idiotic to say the least. Just MO. Again, thanx for your input in my little self-learning adventure.

In a civilized society "tribes" are neighorhoods or perhaps communities.

In the bigger picture, you can't stop people from forming bonds with other like-minded or like-cultured people and wanting to live in tha environment. Or to even shun others of different ways. It may not be "enlighted" but unless you plan some kind of dramatic social re-engineering I don't see how it can be stopped, not should it be tried.

In a civilized society "tribes" are neighorhoods or perhaps communities.

In the bigger picture, you can't stop people from forming bonds with other like-minded or like-cultured people and wanting to live in tha environment. Or to even shun others of different ways. It may not be "enlighted" but unless you plan some kind of dramatic social re-engineering I don't see how it can be stopped, not should it be tried.

According to many scientists it would require genetic re-engineering. In addition, what I do, with those on my side, is simply smart. You need allies to get ahead in the world. So as you say, unless there is some lame social re-engineering of enlightenment, to not be tribal, is to fall behind.

According to many scientists it would require genetic re-engineering. In addition, what I do, with those on my side, is simply smart. You need allies to get ahead in the world. So as you say, unless there is some lame social re-engineering of enlightenment, to not be tribal, is to fall behind.

So a person can't find allies amoung the groups/peoples they choose to be with? Isn't the choice of being with a group a defacto formation of an alliance?

I agree you can't live in a cave. But you also have the choice to associate with whom you want and not to associate with whom you don't want.

So a person can't find allies amoung the groups/peoples they choose to be with? Isn't the choice of being with a group a defacto formation of an alliance?

I agree you can't live in a cave. But you also have the choice to associate with whom you want and not to associate with whom you don't want.

I didn't say otherwise. I have people in my life who have similar interests, belief, or common goals, and we are dependable to help each other get ahead. By definition this is tribal behavior and a social alliance of sorts. I think it is only natural, others will say it's primitive. To each his own.

Sounds like you're splitting hairs over what a "tribe" is.

What are you going on about now? I didn't even disagree with you. God.