Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegans/Vegetarians

Belle.

Looking through the highly news-worthy articles in "World of the Bizzare" as you do, I came across a thread in which somebody declared vegan/vegetarianism was a cult. Yes, a cult – unfrickingbelievable. :cry:

Because why the bleep didn't I get the memo!?!?!? I've always considered I'd look awesome in some naff High Priestess get-up.

So in honour of getting to know my fellow cult-members ;) tell me about yourself. How you became one, any funny stories, difficulties you've had and any great recipes you would like to share.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fylgja

• Sherapy

• chaoszerg

• Starr Destin Mathews

LMAO at a *veggie cult*...Can't help you out Belle, I'm a meat eater, but I do have a great receipe for veggie stuffed zucchini... :)

wow - talk about a secret cult - so secret none of us even knew we were members!! HAHA :) I guess since I have been a member for over 20 years I want a cool outfit too. I always wanted to be the Grand PooBa, like in the Flintstones.

I am not vegetarian or vegan, neither is my wife though she claims she is vegetarian because she is not really fond of meat and never has been since she was a child, but we both have noticed that some vegetarian/vegans have that weird-trippy-flower-child-meditated-once-too-many-times-cult look on their face. Is this our imagination or is it because they are into something else that accounts for this appearance.

Edited by Rosewin

I'm an evil plant eater too. I'm very excited about our world domination plans to force feed everyone granola and tofu.

I have to say the most frustrating thing about being vegetarian is how threatened people feel just by your presence. They even hear the word "vegan" and they immeidatly start with the, "well I like meat I can't stop eating it," even if no one said anything about them quitting meat. Or, my personal favorite, they start doing this, "Oh, Juicey steak! Big mac! Salmon! Yummmmmmm." Like we are not already exposed to meat every freaking day of our lives that we are out and about. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm veg because I care about animals, I care about the environment, eating animal parts and products is gross, and eating plant foods is healthier.

Looking through the highly news-worthy articles in "World of the Bizzare" as you do, I came across a thread in which somebody declared vegan/vegetarianism was a cult. Yes, a cult – unfrickingbelievable. :cry:

Because why the bleep didn't I get the memo!?!?!? I've always considered I'd look awesome in some naff High Priestess get-up.

So in honour of getting to know my fellow cult-members ;) tell me about yourself. How you became one, any funny stories, difficulties you've had and any great recipes you would like to share.

That is entirely out of context Belle.

If you would describe a cult as a group of people that believe or act a particular way and are not very tolerant of people who believe differently. Do research on said belief or act or can lable their choice then that CAN be described as cult.

OTHER CULTS:

Trekkies

Horror Movie Buffs

Broken Lizard Fans

PETA

Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Comic Book Kids

People who watch Monty Python

Juggalos

ETCETERA>>>

Thats why things can be labled "cult classics"

I'm an evil plant eater too.

And I am your Padawan learner ;)

I'm very excited about our world domination plans to force feed everyone granola and tofu.

Your evil knows no bounds.

I have to say the most frustrating thing about being vegetarian is how threatened people feel just by your presence.

I don't think many feel threatened it's just that there are some who are like religious fanatics who try to force their will on others, but that goes both ways as their are some who probably try and force others to have meat in their eating habits.

"Oh, Juicey steak! Big mac! Salmon! Yummmmmmm."

It's our signal to summon other meat eaters, kind of like Batmans bat signal, we are planning to have a giant light like him that beams a steak in the sky for all of us to see the call and come running. :P

Anyway, I'm veg because I care about animals, I care about the environment, eating animal parts and products is gross, and eating plant foods is healthier.

I like animals too and plants, I just also like some in my stomach also. :tu:

Edited by chaoszerg

I'm a proud Omnivore. I've never felt threatened by anyone who claims to be a vegan/vegetarian. Except for the fanatic ones who act like I'm the Antichrist if I eat a steak.

I don't see it as a cult. I just see it as a personal choice. I could care less how anyone chooses to eat. I do get amused at some people who say they are vegetarian but they still eat fish and chicken. I also get amused at people who say they are vegan and proudly say they don't eat ANY animal products, yet they use lotion with lanolin and wear leather Birkenstocks.

Other than that, I say eat whatever works for you and makes you feel good.

Wow, you can't even have a exclusively veg thread without them coming in and convincing themselves that it's okay for them to eat meat.

you can't have an exclusive thread in UM. You can try, but it will never ever happen. Because everyone hates being discriminated against, even people who eat animals. and also what kind of non-cult trys to start an exclusive thread on a public forum anyway????Especially on about not being a cult.

Edited by ravergirl

I don't think many feel threatened it's just that there are some who are like religious fanatics who try to force their will on others, but that goes both ways as their are some who probably try and force others to have meat in their eating habits.

Well, there's lots more of you than us, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. ;)

you can't have an exclusive thread in UM. You can try, but it will never ever happen. Because everyone hates being discriminated against, even people who eat animals. and also what kind of non-cult trys to start an exclusive thread on a public forum anyway????Especially on about not being a cult.

The definition of a cult is any group that follows a leader. We do not have a supreme vegan leader, so we are not a cult. We are a diverse group of people who happen to have one thing in common: we do not use and exploit animals for our own pleasure.

How many animals get killed in the machines that harvest those veggies? Unless you are growing and picking yourself, animals are still getting killed.

Edited by Pandora7321

I was looking forward to some recipes and there hasn't even been one.

The definition of a cult is any group that follows a leader. We do not have a supreme vegan leader, so we are not a cult. We are a diverse group of people who happen to have one thing in common: we do not use and exploit animals for our own pleasure.

If you want to split hairs babycakes. I am in a cult with no supreme leader. But we have an ideaology and we congregate. You should probably accept it. There is nothing wrong with it. It isn't like you are being brainwashed and bussed off to your group suicide.

Well, there's lots more of you than us, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. ;)

Don't worry once we have eaten up all the animals we shall turn on ourselves and eat each other, and the Vegans shall be fine because they will be full of vegi goodness, which is like kryptonite to us, so you wont be consumed. :D

I was looking forward to some recipes and there hasn't even been one.

Oat Mushroom Patties ingredients list:

¾ lb of mushrooms, diced.

2 garlic cloves, minced.

6 cups of rolled oats.

4 cups of water.

½ cup of onion, diced small.

½ cup of carrots, diced small.

¼ cup of soy sauce.

¼ cup of yeast.

1 teaspoon of oregano.

1 teaspoon of thyme.

½ teaspoon of marjoram.

Instructions for Oat Mushroom Patties:

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.

Add mushrooms, mushrooms and onions and cook until soft.

Add the soy sauce, yeast, garlic, oregano, thyme and marjoram.

Add the rolled oats, one cup at a time, letting oats sink in, then stirring.

Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the mixture is thick at the bottom of the pan.

Cover and set aside for about 20 minutes.

Allow to cool and shape into patties.

Place on an oiled cookie sheet and Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes, turning half way through.

How did I become a Vegetarian?

I simply embraced my humanity,

And I'm DAMN proud of being as close to a real healed human being, as I possibly can be.

I'm not a pig, I am not a snake, I am not a rat, I am not a wolf, I am a HuMan.

How did I become a Vegetarian?

I simply embraced my humanity,

And I'm DAMN proud of being as close to a real healed human being, as I possibly can be.

I'm not a pig, I am not a snake, I am not a rat, I am not a wolf, I am a HuMan.

I am a HuMan.

Which is still a animal.

a real healed human being

LMAO!!!

So in honor of getting to know my fellow cult-members ;) tell me about yourself. How you became one, any funny stories, difficulties you've had and any great recipes you would like to share.

Cult, oy vey I did miss that post... :rofl:

ah shucks I am of the vegan genus ....the venus plant trap of the bunch...

I chose the lifestyle for the humanitarian aspect, wanting to give back, it made sense to me that for every pound of meat i didn't consume i'd free up gobs of veggies for others to eat...world hunger bothers me alot..

the health benefits are astounding I had asthma from smoking ( I quit 10 or so years ago) and its gone.....

its seems to be a tough subject for those that eat meat for some reason it tends to spot light personal insecurities...IMO

i think diet is analogous to religion as long as it doesn't harm others why not......

:P Pandora isn't even a vegan and posted a recipe.

Is that the veggie burger that's put on a bun like a hamburger, or is it meant to be eaten as is?

Edit: It sounds like it makes a lot and there are only two of us...do they freeze well? If they do should it be before or after cooking.

Edited by Michelle

LMAO at a *veggie cult*...Can't help you out Belle, I'm a meat eater, but I do have a great receipe for veggie stuffed zucchini... :)

Yummm...

::wonders if there is a "share your recipes thread" around here somewhere::

LOL Why you trying to refute what I never claimed? LOLs

It's pretty sad to see all the festering hate some people have in their hearts for the greens.

Like they say "jealousy is an ugly thing", LOL I guess we are not the only ones going green :)

The initial reason I became green was because meat productions is the biggest contributors to pollution and world hunger,

and I'm just don't gonna be a part of that, I won't be a part of that, I choose not to be apart of the third world's suffering.

May we all one day find peace, even if 95% of us do drag our heels.

Which is still a animal.

LMAO!!!

Chaz i think Jonny wonny is saying that albeit he/she as a mammal, the standard survival of the fittest doesn't have to be acted on especially since we have evolved to the point we don't'need' to eat meat...we know more now .....

we can certainly prefer to eat meat and many choose to and for me its more about doing it in a way that is concientious, if a person cuts down on meat just 10 percent they make a signifigant contribution to the enviornment .. that ole domino effect.....