Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre,odd,strange, unusual Facts!

karl 12

The U.S. State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work is Alaska.

Are you on crack, in winter up here it gets down to 40 sometimes 60 below, I don't anyone damn person in either fairbanks, anchorage, wasilla, or any part of alaska, would be willing to walk in such weather, even in barrow. But then again, how can I know this...........I LIVE IN AND WAS BORN HERE DUDE, we only walk outside in summer, and winter, we ride...............wait, we're mostly drunk so never mind what I just said.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• behaviour???

• Lady Amethyst

• exeller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-54396-1224422949.gif

Scary to think that *the electric chair was invented by a dentist*..cancels appt. for tomorrow...

This is untrue. They can and do become ill if not mated in season, but it is not necessarily fatal. They can be given what is commonly called a "Jill Jab" by the veterinarian (a hormonal injection) that will prevent illness. Of course being responsible and spaying your female ferret prevents this problem outright.

Morrigan thanks for the info,I`m all for debunking these cheeky,strange facts where appropriate.

I had a girlfriend like that once.

Actually, he is buried in St. Marx in Austria, so that fact is not true.

"Although Mozart is buried somewhere in Vienna's St. Marx cemetery, the exact location is unknown; the current monument and 'grave' are the results of an educated guess. Unfortunately, the circumstances of the composer's burial, and the lack of any definite grave, has led to great confusion, including the common belief that Mozart was dumped into a mass grave for paupers. This view stems from a misinterpretation of funerary practices in eighteenth century Vienna."

http://europeanhistory.about.com/library/bldyk11.htm

:P

The U.S. State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work is Alaska.

Are you on crack,

Not any more.

As for Alaskans:

"Over 7% of Alaskans walking to work

John Ryan, KTOO - Juneau

Despite Alaskan`s weather extremes, a greater percentage of people walk to work on the Last Frontier than in any other state".

http://aprn.org/2007/12/12/alaska-news-nig...cember-12-2007/

:P

Edited by karl 12

In the city of York in the UK, it is still legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow in the High Street.

Wow :huh:

I had a jill that died at the ripe old age of 12 she was never mated or jabbed (that sounds like the same thing) jill's kept together often go through the mating ritual i think this can have the same affect as being mated by a hob, she's doesn't have to become pregnant to go out of heat, a vasectomised hob (know as a "jaffa"?) will do the trick. Another one busted.

Absolutely correct about the vasectomised hobs being used for mating without worrying about pregnancy. Never thought about mating rituals between 2 jills before, but it sounds like you are on to something there. Clearly worked for your little girl. Sounds like she had a long and happy life. :D

Very cool lists! I love when I get these in my email, I'm the same way, I have a compelling need to check and see which ones are true, lol.

The flea has the world's most complicated penis.

And if it's wrong, blame Michael caine..

I got that fact from his book...

linked-image

The flea has the world's most complicated penis.

And if it's wrong, blame Michael caine..

I got that fact from his book...

linked-image

Who´d have thought it!

linked-image

The brain continues sending electrical wave signals for 37 hours after death.

A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

1 out of 350,000 Americans get electrocuted in their life.

Close to 73% of girls in Bangladesh are married by age 18.

There is One AK-47 for every Nine people on Earth.

There is 293 different ways to give back change on a dollar.

Americans, on average, spend 18% of his or her income on transportation as compared to only 13% spent on food.

It would take 1.2 million mosquitoes biting you simultaneously to drain all your blood.

The clown fish has the ability to change its sex. If a breeding female dies, the male fish will change its sex and mate with another male.

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

There are 318,979,564,000 possible combinations of the first four moves in Chess.

Bibliomancy is the practice by some people of opening the Bible at random and being guided for the day by whatever verse they see first.

An average person farts 16 times a day.

Barbie's parents names are George and Margaret.

Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.

74% of men in Great Britain admit to thinking about having sexual intercourse with an animal (I´m not one of them).

Julius Caesar’s autograph is worth about $2,000,000.

No where in the state of Michigan is a person more than six miles from water.

Monkeys only smile when they are scared.

The largest number of children born to one woman, who was a Russian peasant, is 69.

The three best-known western names in China are Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.

Five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

Orange, month, and purple are the only words in English that don't have another word that rhymes with it.

The average person laughs 13 times a day.

The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp (marijuana) paper.

A giraffe's heart weighs an incredible 24 pounds.

There is enough water in American swimming pools to cover the whole city of San Francisco seven feet deep.

Penguins eat 13 times their body weight in one day.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

In China, September 20 is "Love Your Teeth Day."

Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination' and 'bump'.

On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.

During their periods womens middle fingers shrink. No one knows why.

Every three seconds a baby is born somewhere in the world.

Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill.

The number one fear of Americans is public speaking. Number two is death.

Forty percent of Americans iron their clothes while wearing their underwear or being completely naked.

US Dollar bills are made out of cotton and linen.

Cat urine glows under a black-light.

There have been over fifty million Mr. Potato Heads sold since it came out in 1952.

According to a study by the nation's largest auto insurer, most accidents occur between 3 and 6 p.m. on Friday.

There are 66 million different possible pizza combinations on the Domino's pizza menu.

Prince Charles and Prince William never travel on the same airplane in case there is a crash.

One billion seconds is about 32 years.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

An average person uses the toilet 2500 times a year.

By age 20 we lose 20% of our sense of smell. By age 60 it is 60%.

31% of employees skip lunch entirely.

Annually Americans eat 45 million turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born on the very same day: February 12, 1809.

You lose 60 hairs a day.

If you eat enough carrots, your skin will eventually turn orange.

Every year the Pentagon survives approximately 50000 hacker attacks.

Women take three times longer than men when using the toilet.

A kangaroo can only jump if its tail is touching the ground.

Americans are responsible for about 1/5 of the world's garbage annually. On average, that's 3 pounds a day per person.

Annually, the amount of garbage that is dumped in the world's oceans is three times the weight of fish that is caught from the oceans.

There is enough iron in a human being to make one small nail.

Heres a neat one.

What is the color of grass? Green ... nope

What is the color of the sky? Blue ... nope

Grass is every color but green as the sky is every color but blue. Due to the fact that these colors are refracted from the object and therefore is is the color you see.

"Sorry but the number of people alive are not higher than all the dead people ever."

#Err,yes it is.

http://www.mwilliams.info/archive/2004/11/...ive-or-dead.php

"No one knows how long humans have existed."

#Err,the rough scientific approximation is about 100,000 years before the races split;some of the earliest human remains and fossils have been found surrounded by thousands of empty middim (shellfish) husks leading to speculation that man was semi aquatic in nature and the long chain fatty acids in said foods facilitated,through the mechanism of schizophrenia,the awareness of consciousness (or intelligence) in our primate nature.

"In my religious book which is the Quran it mentions that we are like 2 or 3 percent compared to how many people existed before us."

#With respect,there are a great many ´religious´ books out there all saying completely different,contradictory things-perhaps because we are attempting to deal with ´facts´, it is unfair to raise the subject of religion or ´non provable beleif systems´ because there is no evidence for any of it and all it deals in is speculation,conjecture,heresay,rumour and guessswork.

"Don't forget the flood that wiped out a variety of humans."

#Yes there are flood myths in many different counties throughout the world but the ´abrahamic global flood myth´ has been proved unequivocably and undeniably false,spurious and wrong by modern day science.

"We are so similar today because the people on Noah's both were from the same town."

#I don´t know what to say to that other than it is wrong and whoever is teaching you this as ´factual knowledge´ is either lying, misinformed or deluded.

Edited by karl 12

Very cool lists! I love when I get these in my email, I'm the same way, I have a compelling need to check and see which ones are true, lol.

In a single breathe,a Blue whale can inflate over 2000 balloons ;)

Our DNA is 60% similar to that of a banana.

In my religious book which is the Quran it mentions that we are like 2 or 3 percent compared to how many people existed before us.

And the books of "Harry Potter" mention magic powers and the ability to fly on a broom...

nice list, just a few problems

*Squirrels cannot contract rabies.

Not true, a squirrel can get rabies, its just rare, because it has to be contratced through a bite, and anything that would bit a squirrel is likely to kill it, or it would die of its wounds quickly.

*Shrimps are the loudest thing in the ocean.

I looked this one up and down and I still can't find a real source.. but found at least 30 sources saying blue whales are the loudest things in the ocean. And only second to Howler monkeys as the loudest creatures on earth.

*The largest eggs in the world are laid by a shark

While sharks do have eggs, only two species actually LAY eggs. Both of these are small eggs, about the size of a chicken egg. The rest keep them inside their bodies until they hatch, and then give live birth to the babies. I know I know.. nit picking....

*The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

Almost.. but not really. It wasn't solid, the water was still flowing under an "ice bridge" that had built up over the running water.

( http://www.niagarafallslive.com/Facts_abou...agara_Falls.htm )

Some really good ones in there, thanks!

I adore lists like this - if this list would've been ten times longer i'd have stayed up 'til three reading it all.

The one fact I can't believe though is the very last one, how can six billion people be more than the entire amount of people that have ever died? Ever? :mellow:

The one I loved was the rich Grecians keeping their children hairless with the olive oil!

Great list

!!

Heres some more:

When young and impoverished, Pablo Picasso kept warm by burning his own paintings.

Why did he paint them first?

"90% of women who walk into a department store turn to the right.Noone knows why."

lol i turned right and i remembered this fact and i was like..holy **** o_o

"90% of women who walk into a department store turn to the right.Noone knows why."

lol i turned right and i remembered this fact and i was like..holy **** o_o

Welcome child!!!

just kidding

hi lainey xD

Not true, a squirrel can get rabies, its just rare, because it has to be contratced through a bite, and anything that would bit a squirrel is likely to kill it, or it would die of its wounds quickly.

Hmm,it appears you may have got me on that one,although it is a very rare occurrence. ;)

I looked this one up and down and I still can't find a real source.. but found at least 30 sources saying blue whales are the loudest things in the ocean. And only second to Howler monkeys as the loudest creatures on earth.

Found this one:

http://www.frst.govt.nz/news/Snapping-shri...ke-noisy-guides

"Using an underwater listening device, Dr Radford identified snapping shrimps and feeding sea urchins as making the loudest sounds beneath the ocean"

While sharks do have eggs, only two species actually LAY eggs. Both of these are small eggs, about the size of a chicken egg. The rest keep them inside their bodies until they hatch, and then give live birth to the babies. I know I know.. nit picking....

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...haleshark.shtml

"The Whale shark was long thought to be oviparous (an egg 14 inches (36 cm) long was found in the Gulf of Mexico in 1953; this would be the largest egg in the world). Recently, pregnant females have been found containing hundreds of pups, so, Whale sharks are viviparous, giving birth to live young. Newborns are over 2 feet (60 cm) long."

Almost.. but not really. It wasn't solid, the water was still flowing under an "ice bridge" that had built up over the running water.

Good call,heres a nice piccy:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/roswell2/nf1.jpg

Cheers! ;)

Know anymore?

Edited by karl 12

Hmm,it appears you may have got me on that one,although it is a very rare occurrence. ;)

From what I read, any mammal can contract, carry and pass Rabies, though not all of them are effected by it. I think Opossums are ones that aren't effected.

Found this one:

http://www.frst.govt.nz/news/Snapping-shri...ke-noisy-guides

"Using an underwater listening device, Dr Radford identified snapping shrimps and feeding sea urchins as making the loudest sounds beneath the ocean"

I saw that one in the last link.. but I still don't believe it. From the full read, it seemed more like the combined sounds of hundreds of shrimp and sea urchins was louder then a blue whale.. not a single shrimp. Also, the use of an underwater listening device contaminates the findings. You can hear blue whales with the naked ear.

His study also showed underwater ambient noise around New Zealand’s coast gets louder twice a day with the sound of shrimp rapidly closing their claws and sea urchins scraping their teeth on rocks while feeding being major contributors to increased noise levels at both dawn and dusk.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...haleshark.shtml

"The Whale shark was long thought to be oviparous (an egg 14 inches (36 cm) long was found in the Gulf of Mexico in 1953; this would be the largest egg in the world). Recently, pregnant females have been found containing hundreds of pups, so, Whale sharks are viviparous, giving birth to live young. Newborns are over 2 feet (60 cm) long."

Link didn't work for me. :(

Again this is misleading. The egg was found, but was likely from a dead and dismembered female. Whale Sharks don't "lay" eggs, and this one prolly didn't either. So its just a matter of wording. Change it to "the larges egg every found" and not "the largest egg ever laid"

Good call,heres a nice piccy:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/roswell2/nf1.jpg

Cheers! ;)

Know anymore?

:)

Edited by KyrusRose

I'm going to just pick a few of my personal faves and comment on them. :P

*Lipstick contains fish scales.

Oh, thats horrible. Put me right off it, and brought back unpleasant memories of fishing trips and slimy scales... :no:

*The Sanskrit word for 'War' means 'Desire for more cows'.

So all wars are about who has the most cows?

Or cow-rustlers?

*Only 4 percent of babies are born on their due date.

That I can believe!

*Sex between snakes lasts from 6 to 12 hours.

Yeah, I know! Lol, I keep loads of snakes as pets :P

*The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

That I can totally believe as well, gotta invent something handy for peoples growing self destructive nicotene addictions...

*Men with a certain rare medical condition can breastfeed babies.

No one, I repeat no one wants to have been breastfed by their dads.

*Duelling in Paraguay is legal as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Shouldn't it be that it's legal as long as two registered blood donors are at the fight, spectating... y'know, in case of spills...

*European earwigs have two penises.

Who writes these?! More importantly, who pervs on earwigs?!

*No part of Japan is more than 100 miles from the sea.

Ha! Well, I can come right back at ya there, m'dear! Here in the UK we're never more than 72 miles from the sea.

*Prostitutes in Roman times charged the equivalent price of 8 glasses of red wine.

I would of thought you'd need at least that amount of wine before you'd touch one...

These are brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing them! I want to memorise every single one of them!