Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre,odd,strange, unusual Facts!

karl 12

*Only 4 percent of babies are born on their due date.

My daughter is part of that 4% :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• behaviour???

• Lady Amethyst

• exeller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sense of smell of an ant is just as good as a dog's is.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead".

The tongue of a mature Blue Whale has approximately the same mass as that of an entire adult elephant.

23% of all photocopier faults world-wide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their bottoms.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

One quarter of all creatures on the planet are beetles.

Giant squids have eyes as big as watermelons.

It's against the law for monsters to enter the town of Urbana, Illinios in the U.S.A.

Seaweed is used to thicken icecream.

Out of 20000 species of bees, only 4 make honey.

You use over 70 muscles to say one word.

Lobsters have pale blue blood.

Plants that are not cared for will cry for help, a thirsty plant will make a high-pitched sound that is too high for us to hear.

Snakes have one lung.

In Switzerland, it's against the law to slam your car door.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Koala bears are excellent swimmers.

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

More people are killed each year by coconuts than by sharks.

About 80% of women wear the wrong size bra.

Sri Lanka has the world's highest number of public holidays.

The Pima tribe in Arizona has the highest rate of diabetes in the world.

Four sunken nuclear submarines sit at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

The age of a fish can be determined by reading rings on bones in the fish's head.

Cats spend about 70% of a day sleeping.

Tennis was once called "sphairistike".

Swiss people eat more chocolate than any other person in the world.

There are 160 words for camel in Arabic.

Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs.

The first picture of a kangaroo was seen in England in 1773.

Fossils of sea creatures have been found at Mount Everest.

The Oscar Awards were held twice in 1930.

More money is spent on gardening than on any other hobby.

There are 92 known cases of nuclear bombs lost at sea.

The Iolani Palace of Oahu is the only royal palace in the United states.

Peanuts grow underground.

Mexico City sinks several inches every year.

Lobster used to be poor people's food.

Rain travels approximately 8 mph.

In some parts of Argentina they speak Welsh.

All owls lay pure white eggs.

Only about 10% of lightning bolts strike the ocean.

There are about 600 different shapes of pasta worldwide.

Tipping in Iceland is considered an insult.

A Goldfish kept in a dark room will eventually turn white.

Nepal has an airline company called Buddha Air.

Armadillos can walk under water.

There is a town in Canada called Dildo.

Saudi Arabia is the only country named after its ruling family.

Albert Einstein did not speak until he was four years old.

Peru has more pyramids than Egypt.

The original game of Monopoly was circular.

Nutmeg is very poisonous if injected intravenously.

*Starfish have no brains.

This explains Patrick (Spongebob).

Now what does that say about me that out of all those amazing things I picked that one to comment on.

I sez it sez I'm tired.

And with 2 Daughters and 3 Grandbabies, I love me some Spongebob!!!

*Starfish have no brains.

This explains Patrick (Spongebob).

Now what does that say about me that out of all those amazing things I picked that one to comment on.

I sez it sez I'm tired.

And with 2 Daughters and 3 Grandbabies, I love me some Spongebob!!!

Blondiegeist, thanks for the reply-Spongebob rocks! :)

(as does the brainless echinoderm Patrick starfish)

Edited by karl 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*The live long and prosper sign by Star Trek's Mr Spock is the sign that jewish priests (cohenim) used whilst saying certain prayers.

*Screwdrivers were first used to help knights put on armour.

*Venetian blinds were invented in Japan.

*20% of all road accidents in Sweden involve an Elk.

*In 1776,Croatia was the first country to recognize the United States.

*Leonardo Da Vinci invented an alarm clock that woke the sleeper by rubbing his feet.

*Jodie Foster was mauled by a lion when she was a child.

*There are approximately 100 million acts of sexual intercourse each day.

*Our hearing is less sharp after eating too much.

*The Hydrochloric acid in the human stomach is strong enough to dissolve a nail.

*A new born kangeroo is small enough to fit in a teaspoon.

*14 million people were killed in World War One,20 million died in the flu epidemic that followed it.

*The distance between an alligator's eyes ,in inches, is equivalent to it's length in feet.

*Elephants are not afraid of mice.

*Emus cannot walk backwards.

*A giraffe's erect penis is four feet long.

*A Chamois goat can balance on a point of rock the size of a £1 coin.

*Bats have sex in the air.

*A cow's only sweat glands are in it's nose

*The ancient Egyptians trained baboons to wait at their tables.

*The colour red has been found to promote the hunger reflex in humans.This is why so many fast food establishments use the colour in their logos and decor.

*The risk of a heart attack is higher on a Monday than on any other day of the week.

*90 degrees below zero your breathe will freeze in mid air and fall to the ground.

*The best way for a man to know whether he will go bald is to look at his mother's father.

*The average person opens the fridge 22 times a day.

*83% of people hit by lightning are men.

*When you sneeze your heart stops.

*More people are allergic to cow's milk than to any other food.

*A rat's performance in a maze can be improved by playing Mozart to it.

*The pupils in goats and sheeps eyes are rectangular.

*All the pet hampsters in the world are descended from one female wild golden hampster found with a litter of 12 young in Syria in 1930.

*Beaver teeth are so sharp that Native Americans once used them as knife blades.

*Rabbits have been known to reach speeds of 47 MPH.

*Cats cannot taste sweet food.

*Deer sleep for only 5 minutes a day.

*The skin of a hippotamus is nearly bulletproof.

*Kiwis are the only bird that hunt by smell....and the only birds that have nostrils at the end of their bill.

*Giraffes have no vocal cords.

*There are more insects in one square mile of rural land than there are human beings on earth.

*A moth has no stomach.

*The only food cockroaches will not eat is cucumber.

*A red sponge can be broken into a thousand pieces but still reconstitute itself.

*If a lobster loses an eye it can grow another one.

*Whales increase their weight 30,000,000,000 times in their first 2 years.

*The albatross can sleep in flight.

*A pigeon cannot lay an egg unless she sees another pigeon,if another pigeon isn't available her own reflection in a mirror will do.

*A female mosquito can produce 150,000,000 young in one year.

*A leech has 32 brains.

*Insects shiver when they are cold.

*A silkworm has 11 brains but only uses 5 of them.

*The aphid's reproductive cycle is so fast that females are born pregnant.

*The bloodhound is the only animal whose evidence is admissable in an American court.

*The polar bear is the only mammal with hair on the soles of it's feet.

*Snails only mate once in a lifetime but it can take up to 12 hours.

*Pecans are the only food that astronauts can take untreated into space.

*Traditionaly a groom must carry a bride over the threshold to protect her from being possessed by the evil spirits that hang around in doorways.

*Syphillis was known as the French disease in Italy and the English disease in France.

*Rabbits love licorice.

*The decibel was named after Alexander Graham Bell.

*In Britain ,31 people have died since 1996 because they watered their Christmas trees whilst their fairy lights were still plugged in.

*Early Greek and Roman physicians beleived the only way to grow a good crop of Basil was to curse loudly whilst scattering the seeds.

*There was once a town in West Virginia called '6'.

*A can of Spam is opened every four seconds.

I saw that one in the last link.. but I still don't believe it. From the full read, it seemed more like the combined sounds of hundreds of shrimp and sea urchins was louder then a blue whale.. not a single shrimp. Also, the use of an underwater listening device contaminates the findings. You can hear blue whales with the naked ear.

Shrimpytastic:

http://clickjack.blogspot.com/2008/02/what...g-in-ocean.html

"The noise of the collected shrimps amounts to an earsplitting 246 decibels, which even adjusting for the fact that sound travels five times faster in water, equates to about 160 decibels in air; considerably louder than a jet taking off (140 dB) or the human threshold of pain. Some observers have compared it to everyone in the world frying bacon at the same time.

The noise is caused by trillions of shrimps snapping their single oversized claw all at once. Snapping shrimps, members of the various Alpheus and Synalpheus species, are found in shallow tropical and subtropical waters

The sound of the "shrimp layer" is the only natural noise that can white out a submarine's sonar, deafening the operators through their headphones."

. The egg was found, but was likely from a dead and dismembered female. Whale Sharks don't "lay" eggs, and this one prolly didn't either. So its just a matter of wording. Change it to "the larges egg every found" and not "the largest egg ever laid"

http://www.utilaproperty.com/AboutWhaleSharks.asp

"Reproduction

The Whale shark was long thought to be oviparous (an egg 14 inches (36cm) long was found in the Gulf of Mexico in 1953; being the largest egg in the world) and was thought to be a Whale shark egg. Lately, pregnant females have been found containing hundreds of pups, so Whale sharks are viviparous, giving birth to live young. Newborns are over 2ft (60 cm) long."

Thanks for the reply -your right about most of those cheeky facts-I'd like to hear the shrimp layer-sounds great! :tu:

No one, I repeat no one wants to have been breastfed by their dads.

Ha ha, I think you'd be scarred for life (or at least emotionaly crippled) -not to mention relentlessly mocked off your schoolchums!

Edited by karl 12

Nice facts that were posted. I'll be sure to check in again see if more were posted.

Where did the one about humans having 4 nostrils come from? I can't find a source.

Thank you, I want to know this too. I went through five pages on here to see if this had already been answered.

This is freakin me out, and now I can't sleep. I can't even read the rest of them until I know.

What a giant post! I read it all and i have to say wow!!

Timothy Leary was Winona Ryder's godfather! I always got a kick out of that..

Off to the tropical fish store as well..LS

Thank you, I want to know this too. I went through five pages on here to see if this had already been answered.

This is freakin me out, and now I can't sleep. I can't even read the rest of them until I know.

Do not fear my four nostril friends-the question was posed in the (very enlightening) BBC trivia Programme Q.I. hosted by Stephen Fry

http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=876

Heres a link

http://www.qi.com/news/item.php?id=202

How many nostrils have you got? Four. Two you can see; two you can't. The two you can't are inside the back of the head to become internal nostrils. These connect to the throat and are what allow us to breathe through the noses.

Now you can go back to bed. ;)

Cheers Karl

the coke company is the only legal importer of cocaine to be used for medicinal purposes

Coke the cola used to have coke as an ingredient

Apollonia is the patron saint of toothaches

Napoleon was 5'6" tall so he wasn't that short

Not possible.

Very possible actually

The bubonic plague to be more exact.

All the plagues that went through Asia to Europe came from marmots in Mongolia. The death toll is more than a billion. Thats why the marmot is second only to the malarial mosquito for killing humans.

Here's some more info on the maniacal murderous marmots from Mongolia http://www.pilotguides.com/destination_gui...olia/marmot.php

Here's some more info on the maniacal murderous marmots from Mongolia http://www.pilotguides.com/destination_gui...olia/marmot.php

Thanks for the link-There is a school of thought that marmots are diabolicaly evil and intent on taking over the world-see video:

Viewer discretion advised:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

Edited by karl 12

Thanks for the link-There is a school of thought that marmots are diabolicaly evil and intent on taking over the world-see video:

Viewer discretion advised:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

Diabolical to say the least!!!!

They have sharp claws and are bloody organized !!!

Timothy Leary was Winona Ryder's godfather! I always got a kick out of that..

Lord Stanley-thats a good one,I certainly didn't know that. :)

Found some interesting ones about animals:

*An experiment with rhesus macaques revealed that they would "pay" to look at pictures of the faces and bottoms of high-ranking females, by forfeiting their usual reward of a glass of cherry juice. With low-ranking females, however, the researchers had to bribe them with an even larger glass of juice before they would pay any attention.

*The male deep-sea anglerfish is much smaller than the female. But he has giant eyes to look for a suitable female and enormous nostrils to sniff out her pheromones.

Having found her, he latches onto her with his teeth and then starts to disappear. Scales, bones, blood vessels all merge into those of the female. After a few weeks, all that's left of the male are the testes hanging off the female's side, supplying her with his genes.

*If diversity and adaptability are the measuring sticks for success, then beetles are the most successful animals on the planet. There are 350,000 known species, with up to eight million more out there waiting for names: new species are being discovered at an average rate of one an hour. If you lined up all animal and plant species in a row, every fifth species would be a beetle. There are about 750,000,000,000,000,000 individual beetles going about their business right now.

*Catfish are swimming tongues: they have more taste buds than any other creature. Their entire bodies are covered with them. A six-inch catfish may have more than a quarter of a million taste buds, not just in its mouth and gills, but on its whiskers, fins, back, belly, sides and tail. The channel catfish has the best sense of taste of any vertebrate and is able to detect less than a hundredth of a teaspoonful of a substance in an Olympic swimming pool full of water.

*The modern cheetah population can be traced back to a single African group of 500 animals that survived the last ice age. Genetically, this means all living cheetahs are as close as identical twins. They are notoriously difficult to breed in captivity because the female needs to be chased by several males before she can ovulate. Akbar the Great, the 16th-century Mogul emperor, kept more than 1,000 cheetahs but managed only one litter. The next cheetah born in captivity wasn't until 1956.

*Nowadays, "everybody knows" that eels are born in the Sargasso Sea, but this has never been proved. No one has ever seen an eel spawn or die there. Careful scientists prefer to call the Sargasso Sea the eel's "presumed" breeding ground. Young eels have been found there, but not live adults or their eggs. Not one eel has been bred in captivity. When you catch an eel, its reproductive system shuts down completely, as if deliberately keeping the secret.

*The male blanket octopus takes sexual discretion to a whole new level. He is 40,000 times smaller than the female and his technique involves tearing off his mating arm, placing it somewhere on her body and then swimming off to die.

Given that this is roughly equivalent to a herring nudging a blue whale, it's unlikely she's even aware of him. Meanwhile, his disengaged arm crawls into her gill slit, where it can live for as long as month, until her eggs are mature. She then retrieves it, tears it open like a packet of café sugar and sprinkles the sperm over her eggs.

*The nocturnal, flightless kakapo from New Zealand is one of the world's rarest birds. As well as being easy prey for rats and dogs, its mating ritual does them no favours. The male constructs a mating court on top of a mountain, excavating several shallow "bowls" connected by a series of tracks, which he keeps scrupulously clean. Every evening, he hunkers down in each of his bowls in turn, pumps up a special air sac and emits a sequence of low-frequency "booms" that can be heard three miles away.

It may take him months to attract a female, during which time he can lose half his body weight. Some females shuffle 20 miles. If both are still in the mood, they mate for 10 minutes and then she walks home again and tries not to get eaten.

*Spiders' silk is five times stronger than steel and 30 times more stretchy than nylon. An average spider will spin more than four miles of silk in a lifetime and this can be collected and woven into garments. However, the spiders' predatory nature makes them tricky to farm: put 10,000 spiders in a sealed room and you will eventually end up with a single enormously fat spider. (Despite their reputation, female black widows only eat one in ten of their mates, although they can get through twenty five partners in one day.)

*Tardigrades are plump, microscopic creatures that fall somewhere between worms and insects. Also known as water bears or moss piglets, they are the toughest animals on the planet. If their water supply dries out, they dry out, too. All life processes come to a complete stop and they become totally inert. In this "dead" state, tardigrades are practically indestructible: they have been frozen to within a degree of absolute zero (-272°C) and heated to temperatures of 151°C. They have been immersed in chemicals and squeezed by pressures six times greater than those at the bottom of the ocean: but, like living granules of instant coffee, with one drop of water they come back to life - even a century later.

*When walruses find a clam, they hold it firm in their lips, create a vacuum around it and use their tongue like a piston to extract the soft tissue. As a special treat, they hoover up seagulls from underneath or suck the brains of seal pups out through their nostrils. Walruses have a sucking power three times stronger than the average Dyson vacuum cleaner, which explains why their stomachs are full of small pebbles.

*The Asian giant hornets of Japan, also known as the Yak Killer, are the super-predators of the wasp family. They are enormous - like flying thumbs, with a quarter-inch sting. Their venom is strong enough to dissolve human tissue and they kill more than 50 people a year. But the Japanese get their own back in style: they serve the larvae raw as hornet sashimi and deep-fry the adults, which are reputed to taste like sweet prawns.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jht...tqifront122.xml

Cheers Karl

*85 per cent of all life on earth is plankton.

*About 70 per cent of all living organisms in the world are bacteria.

..... What?

Plants that are not cared for will cry for help, a thirsty plant will make a high-pitched sound that is too high for us to hear.

I'm not sure about this one, at least I've never heard anything about it being true. I had heard that this was basically a myth.

I'm not sure about this one, at least I've never heard anything about it being true. I had heard that this was basically a myth.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A96E948260

"Researchers from the Agriculture Department have been using electronic gadgets for more than four years to hear corn and other drought-stressed plants make noises as cell structure, break downs from a lack of water traveling from the roots to the leaves. The noises are too high-pitched for humans to hear.

Robert Haack, an entomologist at the Agriculture Department's North Central Forest Experiment Station in East Lansing, Mich., and a colleague, Bill Mattson, said they believed there might be a connection between the noises and the flocking of some insects, such as bark beetles, to drought-damaged trees. But they said they needed more data.

The noises are at extremely high frequencies, in the 100-kilohertz range, while sound heard by humans is no more than up to 20 kilohertz."

:)

..... What?

It appears you may have got me on that one as it's technicaly impossible for both to be correct! ;)

"Plankton are free-floating, generally microscopic plants, animals and bacteria that are part of the lower food web."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/exponentialist/Bacteria.htm

"Bacteria are the oldest and most successful form of life on Earth. They are also known as prokaryote cells, a name which denotes their primacy in the tree of life over the eukaryote cells of animal and plant life-forms. Eukaryotic cells have a nucleus which contain the chromosomes, whereas bacteria have no nucleus. Both types of cells replicate through a process of cell division, and both can form multi-cellular life-forms. Unlike animals and plants, bacteria are not programmed to die and so could go on living forever. However, they are effectively not immortal as they can still be destroyed."

Edited by karl 12

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A96E948260

"Researchers from the Agriculture Department have been using electronic gadgets for more than four years to hear corn and other drought-stressed plants make noises as cell structure, break downs from a lack of water traveling from the roots to the leaves. The noises are too high-pitched for humans to hear.

Robert Haack, an entomologist at the Agriculture Department's North Central Forest Experiment Station in East Lansing, Mich., and a colleague, Bill Mattson, said they believed there might be a connection between the noises and the flocking of some insects, such as bark beetles, to drought-damaged trees. But they said they needed more data.

The noises are at extremely high frequencies, in the 100-kilohertz range, while sound heard by humans is no more than up to 20 kilohertz."

:)

Ah, I see. ^_^ That makes sense, however plants "crying" to me is a little misleading. I would see it as a cause and effect event as opposed to a cognitive response by the plant, but that's just me. :tu: