Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Religion Demographics

DC09

Christians 33.4%

Muslims 18.5%

Nonreligious 16.1%

Hindus 13.4%

Buddhists 5.9%

Atheists 3.7%

Chinese folk-rel 4%

New-Religionists 2.6%

Tribal Religioni. 1.5%

Sikhs 0.3%

Jews 0.3%

Shamanists 0.2%

Confucians 0.1%

Baha'is 0.1%

Jains 0.1%

Shintoists 0.1%

Other Religioni. 0.3%

http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Edited by Kellalor

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• WorkMonkey

• fearfulone

• man_in_mudboots

OMG!! 67% of us are going to hell!!!

Or if you believe Al Qaida, 81.5%!

Edited by DespondentDave

No... it is not necesary for you to be muslim to enter heaven. Everyone will be judged according to their works on earth, not faith.

hmm....I was under the impression that there were more followers of Islam in the world than there were of Christianity.

Possibly so Seraphina , looking at the statistics a little closer though I believe they may have grouped Christians , Catholics , Prodestants , Jehovas witness and alike all under the heading of Christian .

And group Shites and Sunni (spelling?) muslims under one group as well...

Edited by PsychicPenguin

OMG!! 67% of us are going to hell!!!

Wrong, actually.

At the very least; purgatory.

There's a fun little clause in Christian that lets good pagans go to purgatory. And purgatory itself is only a temporary step before being allowed in heaven.

I am a Christian, Anglican to be exact. I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church. I think it is mainly a Catholic idea. I don't believe that anyone that doesn't believe what I believe will go to hell. I really don't know and I will not pretend that I do know for sure and condemn everybody that doesn't agree with me.

At first I was able to ignore all the religious debates, but it is getting to be quite sickening. I can't look at this messege board anymore without being bombarded with several God vs. No God threads. It seems to be all anyone cares about anymore, disproving that God exists. There is no solid proof one way or another to whether or not a God exists, face it. The reasons that I have for believing in God are purely personal. I have experienced God, and there is absolutely nothing anybody can say that will ever make me feel and believe differently. I wish I could give you more answers but I can't. Bye for now.

No... it is not necesary for you to be muslim to enter heaven. Everyone will be judged according to their works on earth, not faith.

We as Catholics have also always taught that those who are "ignorant" or do not know of the truth can be saved through living a good life of works and faith. We do however differ from the Muslims in saying that whomever is "saved" through "ignorance" is done so by God's "graces flowing through the Catholic Church to the world."

I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church. I think it is mainly a Catholic idea.

And yes, it is predominately us Catholics that believe in purgatory. And just to clarify, purgatory is a CLEASING period of our humanity so that we may be pure when we enter heaven...it is NOT an alternative to heaven/hell, like there's a third possibility...it is a purification on the way to heaven.

Possibly so Seraphina , looking at the statistics a little closer though I believe they may have grouped Christians , Catholics , Prodestants , Jehovas witness and alike all under the heading of Christian .

Yes they did do this, but more in depth studies have shown Catholics are at 20% on their own, Islam is, however, the FASTEST GROWING faith in the world.

Edited by fearfulone

I am a Christian, Anglican to be exact. I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church. I think it is mainly a Catholic idea. I don't believe that anyone that doesn't believe what I believe will go to hell. I really don't know and I will not pretend that I do know for sure and condemn everybody that doesn't agree with me.

The only real Christian denomination, in my opinion, is Roman Catholicism.

All the others were founded off charlitans looking to make a dollar and gain power off of people who desperately looked for answers.

The only real Christian denomination, in my opinion, is Roman Catholicism.
thumbsup.gif

i completely agree, i did not want to make this thread into a religious debate though... wink2.gif

Uh well.. actually most other denominations condemn catholics as being "not real christian" or even "cult"... anyway.. good job for accepting evolution and not using sola scriptura thumbsup.gif

We as Catholics have also always taught that those who are "ignorant" or do not know of the truth can be saved through living a good life of works and faith. We do however differ from the Muslims in saying that whomever is "saved" through "ignorance" is done so by God's "graces flowing through the Catholic Church to the world."

Matthew 7:21-27 - To enter the kingdom of heaven, it is not enough to call Jesus "Lord, Lord." One must DO the will of the Father (v 21).

Luke 6:46 - "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" What right do you have to claim He is your Lord if you don't obey? None! Your master is the one you obey (cf. Rom. 6:16; Matt. 6:24). If you don't obey, He's not your master.

Acts 10:35 - To be acceptable to Him, one must fear Him and work righteousness

Matthew 7:21-27 - To enter the kingdom of heaven, it is not enough to call Jesus "Lord, Lord." One must DO the will of the Father (v 21).

Luke 6:46 - "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" What right do you have to claim He is your Lord if you don't obey? None! Your master is the one you obey (cf. Rom. 6:16; Matt. 6:24). If you don't obey, He's not your master.

Acts 10:35 - To be acceptable to Him, one must fear Him and work righteousness

Catholicism has no concept of sola scriptura ... so quoting bible verses doesn't mean a lot.

Catholicism has no concept of sola scriptura ... so quoting bible verses doesn't mean a lot.

If they have no concept of scripture alone then why was the bible written by the founders of catholocism? Is the bible therefore lies? Do catholics denounce the bible as the word of god? Since all religious doctrine is derived from the bible then every offshoot of Christianity practices sola scripture, not just protastants...surely?

Edited by WorkMonkey

The Roman Catholic church has changed a lot. So if I have to answer your questions from Catholic's point of view...

Is the bible therefore lies?

The answer will be different according to your interpretation. Many details in the bible is wrong, but the major theme is still correct.

Do catholics denounce the bible as the word of god?

No

Since all religious doctrine is derived from the bible then every offshoot of Christianity practices sola scripture, not just protastants...surely?

Sola scriptura is not a Catholic concept. It was invented during the reformation, and later became an integral part of Protestant movement. Today not some denominations do not practice this concept any longer.

I dont understand then how Catholics can have no concept of sola scriptura, since the scripts are the only reference we have to gods alleged will.

How does one determine the critera for gaining access to heaven if the bible is not to be wholly believed?

Im no expert in this and have only just given myself a crash course on this whole sola scripture thing so answers would be appreciated.

Edited by WorkMonkey

I'm wondering about that myself tongue.gifgrin2.gif

Anyway.. the criteria to go to heaven is to be holy. A long time ago it was through indulgency letters.. and today by giving away 10% of your income to the church wink2.gifwhistling2.gif

Oh.. the 10% rule is also gone from the Roman Catholic church, making it the cheapest alternative to go to heaven. laugh.gif

Uh well.. actually most other denominations condemn catholics as being "not real christian" or even "cult"... anyway.. good job for accepting evolution and not using sola scriptura thumbsup.gif

That makes little sense, considering Roman Catholicism is the original Christian religion. That would mean if the denominations' claims were valid they themselves would be cults of a cult.