Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Religion Demographics

DC09

Anyway.. check out this link..  tongue.gif

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

laugh.gif  grin2.gif  laugh.gif  grin2.gif

that links stupid,

How can it proove Roman catholicism as the true church, using only the bible as back up, that is working on the presumption that the bible is the true word of god.

Where is the line drawn between circular reasoning and blind faith?

The whole concept it speaks of is basically doing exactly what god says and he'll be cool with you, that is manipulation to his will, why would a loving, benevolant father manipulate his childrens will to make him happy, instead of protecting them allowing them to make their own mistakes and forgiving them when they slip up.

ps why would god make sin if we had to repent of it to get to him, wouldnt it have been easier to just not make it in the first place?

Please no "God works in mysterious ways" replies, its just a blatant ass cover because you dont know.

Edited by WorkMonkey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• WorkMonkey

• fearfulone

• Azael

Ok ok, i told you i didnt want this to turn into a religious debate, but hell, if you guys want it. I work for a Catholic Apologetics compnay (apologetics means to defend the faith), so i know quite a bit about the Church. The Catholic Church, first off, does believe in the bible...we read scripture 4 times at mass each sunday... first from the old testament, then the psalms, then the new testament, then from one of the four Gospels. And no, we are NOT a sola scriptura church... we believe that you can not use bible alone, but must incorporate traditions handed down from the apostles. It says in scripture "if i were to write everything Christ said, there would not be enough books in all the libraries of the world to contain them," (not an exact quote) so we believe the apostles handed down various traditions, all of which the Catholic Church practices today. Also, the jack chick tracts, which you put a link to, are very anti-Catholic and he is a professed anti-Catholic, so you can not use him as an un-biased view of Catholicism. As far as where we get our traditions go to Early Fathers of Christianity, click on Church Fathers and you will read writings from disciples of the original twelve apostles who kept and upheld the traditions of the apostles.

Oh.. the 10% rule is also gone from the Roman Catholic church, making it the cheapest alternative to go to heaven. 
The Catholic Church has always taught that you should tithe according to the wages you earn...never have the been the "cheapest alternative" because they teach you should give your life to Christ through the Church.

Anyway.. the criteria to go to heaven is to be holy. A long time ago it was through indulgency letters..
You completely mis-understand the concept of indulgences...way to deep to get into in a forum like this, but you dont get to heaven through an "indulgence letter." That was a mis-understanding during the time of the reformation. And funny how Martin Luther, the father of the reformation, was quoted on his deathbed as saying, "what have i done," and going to confession before he passed. hmmm... blink.gif

Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask or send me a message.

Edited by fearfulone

It says in scripture "if i were to write everything Christ said, there would not be enough books in all the libraries of the world to contain them,"

Didn't he ever shut up or something?

This topic will probably be locked sooner or later without comments like that, thank you very much.

Edited by Aslan

Kryso has a look in the room - slowly backs out and shuts the door behind him. One thing I have learnt while being here, never get into religion. To many belifes and opinions. Each to their own - enough said!

Kryso has a look in the room - slowly backs out and shuts the door behind him. One thing I have learnt while being here, never get into religion. To many belifes and opinions. Each to their own - enough said!

thumbsup.gif Thinkest I'll joinest in none involvement.

Edited by stillcrazy

• 3 weeks later...

oh well all religion was created by the freemasons so who cares.

and jesus was a madman

One thing I have learnt while being here, never get into religion

thumbsup.gif i say mods ban the discussion of religion on the forum...i am a devout Catholic and wish to "spread and evangelize" my faith, but this is not the place to do it...too many heated discussions and too many stubborn opinions...its just causes for prejudiced views of people... whistling2.gif

I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church. I think it is mainly a Catholic idea.

And yes, it is predominately us Catholics that believe in purgatory. And just to clarify, purgatory is a CLEASING period of our humanity so that we may be pure when we enter heaven...it is NOT an alternative to heaven/hell, like there's a third possibility...it is a purification on the way to heaven.

indeed. i dont agree with purgatory, its mainly an invention o the church to give hope to people that hought their sins to great to go to heaven i """"""" THINK"""""".

its supposedly a place where love cannot grow, but is purified by means of suffering that are meant to be accepted so as to better the soul they are sent to. it is a step in the path to heaven, however, in the praised work 'the divine comedy' by Dante, it seems to be passed off as a place for those who didnt have courage to side with Satan or God at their individual judgement, and they live there forever in sufferings as bad as hell, only without Satan. there are far too many different interpretations of purgatory for me to accept it now. i do belive that there may be some truth in the matter, but like everything else has been polluted by human teachings.

OMG!! 67% of us are going to hell!!!

just a funny fact, since almost all religions have a special place reserved for those that do not follow just that particular religion, in theroy we are all going to hell. laugh.gif

Most religions have some kind of place where the "bad" folks go because people sense that 1) the world and humanity are headed toward a definite end point (in some way or another) and 2) that there needs to be a reckoning for evil. Many different people of many different religions believe in some kind of after-life-punishment scenario because they have a basic desire to see justice done. The fact that this desire is so universal speaks volumes about who humans are. We long to see wrong put right, and that goes for our lives on earth and afterward.

believe it or not, i once wrote a story about that. it started that sombody hacked into the USA governtments huge computer storage files, and all they took was a file on language traslations. nobody could figure it out until, two months later, the worlds governements got a message from an alien planet, that said a group of aliens were coming to earth, and that they [the aliens] had come to save us humans from a tremendous disaster that had been plaguing us since our species developed, and that we didnt even know it. the aliens told everybody that they were going to give us data to end our problem. they arrived, and said they had a speech prepared for us to hear, in which they would give us the data, and then explain to us the problem we had. i'll quote from the very end:

and then the leader of the alien group that had landed in their transport vessel held up a book. it looked just like any normal earth book. many people were surprised because they had been expecting something fascinating, maybe a massive trasfer of data to computers all over the earth, or a radio trasmission to earths radios, by some specatacular technology that the aliens had that we wouldnt understand, something fitting a more advanced race. yet they got a normal book. the aliens said, "here, in this book, is all you humans need to know to save yourselves from this terrible plague that has you."  in any normal case, the words he would read would have been comforting in their familiarity,  yet in this case were shocking coming form the mouth of a creature that lived millions of light years away.  the alien leader opened his book, and began to read. " In the beginning, God created the heaven an the earth......."
happy.gif