Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

wierd dreams

Umbra-Exsul

i allways had rather strange dreams but these last few peaked even my curiosity. i asked around from my friends that do dream intrepitation sometimes but she couldnt make sense of them either.

so now im thinking what the hell i quess someone here might atleast get a better idea what theyr about.

all of these dreams been on past week monday, tuesday, wednesday and saturday nights

first:

i am inside an Ice cave walking around i feel at peace relaxed, walking around exploring the cave. i come to an dead end and i see someones hand held on the other ice of an thin ice wall, then who ever is in the other side pulls their hand back. the whole wall is lit up but yellow and red light. thin ice wall melted quickly, light didnt seem like fire it seemed like a glow around something than a fire. i was barely able to watch is because of its brightness after the icewall melted, i looked away and waited for the light to die down. after it did i looked back in the same direction and saw a brown haired girl dressed completely in white and wore a silver necklace with red crystal cross. she smiled as i looked at her feeling confused then she ran toward me and hugged me she whispered "ive missed you for so long." i woke up after that.

notes: the cross i know from the jeweler in the town i used to live in. the girl i dont ever remember seeing before not to mention romantic fantasies arent usually in my dreams so not to mention the rather strange location for one. also this dream repeated on monday, tuesday and wednesday.

(saturday nights) second:

i was on some cities streets the city was mostly made up of clay brick houses. some were relativily decent condition and looked like they were well taken care of and others looked like next breath of wind coming in the wrong direction would shatter them into dust. it was dusk in there few torches lit erratically to light the street i walked forward for a while looking at buildings and peeking inside from windows trying to find someone else but the city looked abandoned. i turned a corner saw some kind of dark mist in shape of an man following me, didnt know what it was bit i felt afraid of it and i started running. after running a while i ran straight inside an temple looked like an egyptian temple since there were all sorts of statues and hieroglyphs around. i was looking at them in awe before noticing 9 men dead in a circle middle of the courtyard they looked like they were gutted there were several slashes across each mans chest. i was horrified at the sight, i looked at the entrance that i had ran in the dark mist was there standing just outside of the doorway. i heard someone running from the direction of the dead men and i saw one of my friends dressed like a priestess of some sort and she shouted "What have you done?! Murderer!" i woke up after that.

notes: im more than willing to put this dream on bad movies and some random wierdness. but my friend seemed freaked out when i told her this dream, yes the priestess friend and the one that does the dream intrepitation for me sometimes was the one and the same person.

try not to mind the structure since english isnt my orginal language and sentance structure is bit iffy when translating from finnish to english. as additional note i dont usually put too much weight on dreams so im just doing this out of curiosity :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eight bits

• Umbra-Exsul

• Midas

• John from Lowell

Welcome aboard, Umbra.

Your English is fine, don't worry about that in the least.

I would like to ask a few questions. I don't know how far I will get with either dream, but the answers to these questions will be helpful to anyone who thinks about your questions.

Are you a male?

Roughly how old are you? The decade will be precise enough.

Compared to your own age, was the woman in the first dream older, younger, or about the same age as you?

Do you regularly remember your dreams (whether or not you put much weight on them or discuss them with your friend)?

Does the first dream begin with you already in the ice cave, or do you enter the ice cave from somewhere outside?

Did I understand you correctly that you never leave the ice cave during the dream, nor do you enter the area that opened up when the ice wall melted?

And finally, an essay question :). You mention at the end of your post that you "don't usually put too much weight on dreams," but at the beginning of your post it sounded as if you have at least one friend who does place weight on dreams, and with whom you discuss your dreams. So, could you explain that a little more?

For example, are these the first dreams of your own which you have discussed seriously with your friend? Does your friend discuss her dreams with you?

Welcome aboard, Umbra.

Your English is fine, don't worry about that in the least.

I would like to ask a few questions. I don't know how far I will get with either dream, but the answers to these questions will be helpful to anyone who thinks about your questions.

Are you a male?

Roughly how old are you? The decade will be precise enough.

Compared to your own age, was the woman in the first dream older, younger, or about the same age as you?

Do you regularly remember your dreams (whether or not you put much weight on them or discuss them with your friend)?

Does the first dream begin with you already in the ice cave, or do you enter the ice cave from somewhere outside?

Did I understand you correctly that you never leave the ice cave during the dream, nor do you enter the area that opened up when the ice wall melted?

And finally, an essay question :). You mention at the end of your post that you "don't usually put too much weight on dreams," but at the beginning of your post it sounded as if you have at least one friend who does place weight on dreams, and with whom you discuss your dreams. So, could you explain that a little more?

For example, are these the first dreams of your own which you have discussed seriously with your friend? Does your friend discuss her dreams with you?

yes im a male.

few years past 20.

the woman in the ice cave dream was about my age.

yes i do regulary remember my dreams when i dream.

the dream begins inside the ice cave.

yes you did understand correctly i stayed with in the ice cave i allready was after the ice wall melted and i didnt really see anything otherside.

Well i just like entertain the thought that they might actually mean something, so i usually tell her the dreams i have usually just for fun. But i never really put much weight on the intrepitation. since most of the time dreams that i have seem rather unrelated or wierd. So i usually write them down and show send them to her for reading and to keep them for good concepts or ideas to draw or make something out of since i draw, make 3d model and scenes. So i tend to keep most of the dreams written down if i want to get inspiration for something specific. My friend sometimes tells me her dreams but not that often since she doesnt usually remember them and the ones she does remember are usually nightmares and it helps her to over them faster if she tells them to someone.

Thank you for your answers, Umbra.

I don't do dream interpretation, but I would like to discuss yours. I always begin a discussion like this with a statement:

Disclaimer Only the dreamer can interpret a dream. However, there are some stock dream characters and motifs which have been dreamt by many people in different times and places. I can point some of those out, and write about what they have meant to many others who have dreamt them. Only you can say whether they mean the same things to you .

I would also like to discuss only the ice cave dreams for now. If you feel that that discussion has been useful to you, then later on, I would also have a few comments about the other dream. But since I feel that the dreams are related, if I am way off on the ice cave, then I wouldn't be on target with the other dream, either.

OK. You are an unusual person. You don't put much weight on your dreams, but you do record them, discuss them, and even use them in your artistic work.

Places that are not well lit in real life by the sun, such as caves, but also basements, forests, deep pools of water, ... are among the source of dream's favorite representations of itself. That is, your dream seems to be located in your subconscious, unconscious, ... people use a lot of names, I say "source of dreams." As if it were a place that you, the waking you, might visit while you are awake.

And so you do, and look around, going deeper into this part of your mind that is different from your waking self. At this point, a very common plot development is that a "portal" appears or is discovered. By portal I just mean a doorway or passage of some kind, in the sense that you might step through it into an even more unfamiliar place.

You didn't step through. Some people do, some people don't. BTW, a thin wall of ice, the little incident that you could see the hand, and so forth - these are just beautiful.

Part of the motif is that you encounter another dream character, who is on the other side of the portal. This character is often an archetype in Carl Jung's sense, a "stock character" who has appeared in many other people's dreams for a very long time.

In your case, a male dreamer dreams a female character who is friendly, helpful, attractive and approachable (indeed, who approaches you) of the same age... this is, in all probability, your Anima (women dream the same figure, but he is male and called Animus).

Anima is a searchable term, but web searches are tricky. They also turn up a real-life projection figure of the same name. She is bad news, while the dream character is good news. The web doesn't always do a good job of distinguishing them.

Also, there is an unfortunate phrase that comes up about dream Anima, that she is "the feminine side of a man." That doesn't really do her justice, because she is usually a lot more than that.

As we grow up, it is inevitable that we emphasize some of our talents, interests, and approaches to life at the expense of other talents, interests, and approaches. Maybe you were interested in music, but put it aside to pursue drawing, for example. Your interest in music didn't go anywhere. It is still inside you, maybe not very developed, but still there.

Anima is the personification of all of that stuff, all at once. She is all the other possibilities of life that you have set aside in the interest of developing the waking you. So, yes, for a man, some of that probably is "feminine" things, but an awful lot of it is gender-neutral.

The dream taken as a whole is an invitation for co-operation between your waking self and the other parts of yourself which the Anima personifies.

There is usually some hint of the benefit to you of accepting the invitation, of cooperating with your 'other' self to make a whole self. That is what I make of the light you turned away from, a straightforward image of power. That you turn away from the light is about as blunt a comment upon how your waking self has been treating the inner you as symbolic thought ever offers.

The invitation is wasted, of course, unless you, the waking you, pay attention to the dream. Repetition may be a crude device, but it did get your attention. That you did not enter the portal makes me wonder if there is some reluctance in your waking self to deal with the rest of you. However, for this dream, it doesn't matter, since Anima was only too happy to come over to you. The invitation to get to know, and to cooperate with, the rest of yourself was extended.

So, how does this suit you so far?

Edited by eight bits

Part of the motif is that you encounter another dream character, who is on the other side of the portal. This character is often an archetype in Carl Jung's sense, a "stock character" who has appeared in many other people's dreams for a very long time.

In your case, a male dreamer dreams a female character who is friendly, helpful, attractive and approachable (indeed, who approaches you) of the same age... this is, in all probability, your Anima (women dream the same figure, but he is male and called Animus).

Anima is a searchable term, but web searches are tricky. They also turn up a real-life projection figure of the same name. She is bad news, while the dream character is good news. The web doesn't always do a good job of distinguishing them.

Also, there is an unfortunate phrase that comes up about dream Anima, that she is "the feminine side of a man." That doesn't really do her justice, because she is usually a lot more than that.

As we grow up, it is inevitable that we emphasize some of our talents, interests, and approaches to life at the expense of other talents, interests, and approaches. Maybe you were interested in music, but put it aside to pursue drawing, for example. Your interest in music didn't go anywhere. It is still inside you, maybe not very developed, but still there.

Anima is the personification of all of that stuff, all at once. She is all the other possibilities of life that you have set aside in the interest of developing the waking you. So, yes, for a man, some of that probably is "feminine" things, but an awful lot of it is gender-neutral.

The dream taken as a whole is an invitation for co-operation between your waking self and the other parts of yourself which the Anima personifies.

I like these insights. They reflect the nature of the subconscious and its style for communicating with the conscious self.

The thing I like to keep in mind with dreams is that they do come from the self. The part I liked about the first dream was how the girl character was pleased you were connecting in some way with her. This is usually a sign that the conscious self is doing more in the way of reflective thinging and less in the way of logical thinking. In my view, balance is best.

she smiled as i looked at her feeling confused then she ran toward me and hugged me she whispered "ive missed you for so long." i woke up after that.

These kind of exchanges are usually energetic. That is why you wake up at exactly this point. So that you can digest the experience.

John

to eight bits:

thanks eight bits but the thing is, ive allways had talent for physics, computer sciences and Electronics but three or four years ago one of my class mates at the time introduced me to a 3d modeling program that was very basic. ever since then ive been improving my skills with that. about a year ago i started improving on my drawing skills which were by highschool standards maybe D or F grade. but now i can construct a basic outline of a model from a crude drawing or just a written description. well music has never been my thing. the whole thing suits quite well thou so far. to end this well im currently studying computer sciences but how do describe it properly it feels like walking the same exact path in circles. so ive been asking around if i could transfer to 3d- arts and -animation given that i pass the tests to the department. tests which ive been working on to get good enaugh for past year or so.

to john:

i think you are right about the first half your response, since ive been more or less thinking about the same. but since Eight bits mention the anima that makes me wonder certain aspects of my personality since in general im not particularly approachable person and allways somehow managed to stay under peoples "radar" that i usually go unnoticed. my name in here is kind of reference to that since umbra is shadow/shade and exsul is exile both are from latin words.

Your dreams are intriguing.

For your first dream I will say that someone you or might love you will come in a while.

A love behind frozen words. You might never have meet this person, but it will be like finding a part of your soul that is lost. The cross might be something she wear or that even you have given (will give) her. Anyways... the dreams tell of something you will find when the ice melt. What the ice might represent I'm not uterly sure as it can be a fasade that girl might use or something else.

For the other dream I will say this...

Someone and somehow someone will lure you to a trap. You might will be lured into a mess that will be hard to get out off. And your friend might blame you or someone close for something that seemingly you have done.

Be warned... the last dream if it is going to happen, you should try to avoid it by all costs.

Hi, again, Umbra.

I think you misunderstood. "Music" and "drawing" were just hypothetical, concrete examples of one thing someone might empathize, and so necessarily do less of something else.

I didn't mean that your dream had anything to do with music or drawing specifically. I only chose "drawing" as an example because you had mentioned it as one use you have for your dreams that you write down. I only said "music" because it was something that wasn't drawing.

The point was that everybody has made such choices, lots of them, and the possibilities that were set aside have not left the self just because they weren't chosen for development.

Please do think about the Anima aspect some more, since you said you were wondering about it anyway. And if that isn't it, then that isn't it.

• 2 weeks later...

These dreams... I am getting this feeling that they are sort of forced or artificial. I don't know; maybe it's like you said with the movies and such, but only some of the images in the dreams seem to mean something. The dead people in the temple sounds very Blair Witch Project to me :).

First Dream:

You have released this girl from behind a wall of ice.

Something that's been held back for a long time you have finally released.

Is it love?

Have you told somebody you love them recently?

Or maybe you want to? Or maybe you long to tell someone you love them? (Hence the girl being unknown)

You want to stop being so cold (represented by the wall of ice) and tell the person/someone how you really feel.

Second Dream:

An unknown person is following you. This person frightens you.

There is something catching you up.

You are trying to run and hide but this something will always catch you up and be waiting for you when you come out of your hiding place. You have to face it but you are frightened.

This thing has to be done by you and only you - it's something personal.

These dreams... I am getting this feeling that they are sort of forced or artificial. I don't know; maybe it's like you said with the movies and such, but only some of the images in the dreams seem to mean something. The dead people in the temple sounds very Blair Witch Project to me :).

First Dream:

You have released this girl from behind a wall of ice.

Something that's been held back for a long time you have finally released.

Is it love?

Or maybe you want to? Or maybe you long to tell someone you love them? (Hence the girl being unknown)

You want to stop being so cold (represented by the wall of ice) and tell the person/someone how you really feel.

Second Dream:

An unknown person is following you. This person frightens you.

There is something catching you up.

You are trying to run and hide but this something will always catch you up and be waiting for you when you come out of your hiding place. You have to face it but you are frightened.

This thing has to be done by you and only you - it's something personal.

i dont really watch that many horror movies since the result is usually me laughing my *** off because of the effects or due too many cliches and i dont remember seeing Blair Witch Project... and midas odd question have we met? since well that analysis of that first dream is little eerie for somereason. thou there is a one problem in it theres currently no-one that im intrested in that sense thus the wierdness of that dream since that was what my friend thought first.

the wierdness of that dream since that was what my friend thought first

Not weird at all, Umbra. People mistake Anima for the love-of-someone's-life all the time, both in dreams and in real life.

(Although, I think it can be done in real life, but it is very dangerous... a whole other thread, and not for "Dreams and Consciousness.")

Anyway, I'm glad you dropped back in. I never did find out how you liked what I wrote about your ice cave dream (now that we have cleared up, I hope, that my poor choice of examples was just a pair of examples).

i dont really watch that many horror movies since the result is usually me laughing my *** off because of the effects or due too many cliches and i dont remember seeing Blair Witch Project... and midas odd question have we met? since well that analysis of that first dream is little eerie for somereason. thou there is a one problem in it theres currently no-one that im intrested in that sense thus the wierdness of that dream since that was what my friend thought first.

No, I don't believe we have met before :)

I mean, nobody specifically - you just want to have someone to say 'I love you' to?