Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Troops polled .. and it's MCCAIN!

Nxt2Hvn

Poll Suggests U.S. Troops Support McCain 3-1

A Military Times poll indicates landslide support for John McCain, who captures 68 percent of the military vote to Barack Obama's 23 percent.

A poll by the Military Times newspaper group suggests that there is overwhelming support for John McCain among U.S. troops in every branch of the armed forces by a nearly 3-1 margin.

According to the poll, 68 percent of active-duty and retired servicemen and women support McCain, while 23 percent support Barack Obama. The numbers are nearly identical among officers and enlisted troops.

The Military Times, which publishes the Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times and Air Force Times, polled 80,000 subscribers from Sept 22 to Sept. 29. The non-scientific survey gathered 4,300 respondents -- all of them registered and eligible to vote.

A racial divide was immediately evident among the respondents. Nearly eight in 10 black servicemembers chose Obama, while McCain captured 76 percent of white voters and 63 percent of Hispanic voters.

Numbers among men and women respondents were also visibly different. Men overwhelmingly said they would vote for McCain, 70 percent to 22 percent. But among women the margin was much closer: 53 percent support McCain, while 36 percent support Obama.

U.S. troops also said in the poll that they prefer McCain to handle the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- 74 percent said McCain would perform better, while just 19 percent said Obama would.

Four years ago the Iraq War was the single most important issue on which the military voted. But the war now ranks third in importance to these voters. The most important issue among the respondents was character (42 percent), followed by the economy (25 percent) and the Iraq War (16 percent).

There was a racial divide on these issues, as well. Black servicemembers said the economy was the No. 1 issue that affected their vote, and white troops said character was paramount.

Link/Source

Raw Data / Troops polled

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• questionmark

• Tiggs

• Guardsman Bass

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Article:

The Military Times offered certain caveats for its poll, which was open only to its 80,000 subscribers. Responses were entirely voluntary and were not focused on a representative sample of the public, as scientific polls are. The troops polled were also somewhat older than average enlisted servicemembers and included more officers than is representative of the military as a whole.

I'm pretty sure this came up last month, when it was first announced.

From the Article:

I'm pretty sure this came up last month, when it was first announced.

Came up where?

Came up where?

on this forum...use the search function.

Came up where?

It's on the front page of FoxNews website right now. ... So I don't know if it "came up" last month or not...

So, in other words we have an unrepresentative poll of a known conservative bastion (it's not exactly a big secret that military members and officers tend to be pro-Republican) expressing serious support for a conservative candidate who happens to be an ex-military man? Color me unsurprised, and amused by the fact that the OP Poster thinks this is somehow a big deal.

So, in other words we have an unrepresentative poll of a known conservative bastion (it's not exactly a big secret that military members and officers tend to be pro-Republican) expressing serious support for a conservative candidate who happens to be an ex-military man? Color me unsurprised, and amused by the fact that the OP Poster thinks this is somehow a big deal.

Not a "big deal" ... and yes.. I agree expected. Still .... something I wanted to share. Hope you enjoyed! B)

Since the military are the ones who are sent out on the front line by their Commander in Chief, I think that says a lot. If they don’t trust Obama enough to do what’s right for them when their life is in danger why should I trust him with mine?

Since the military are the ones who are sent out on the front line by their Commander in Chief, I think that says a lot. If they don’t trust Obama enough to do what’s right for them when their life is in danger why should I trust him with mine?

I did not trust Ronald Reagan any further than I could throw him in his second term (though I was pleased when he was first elected)...yet I did my duty working for the DoD as required.

I have absolutely no doubt that any soldier will do what is required and what is ordered. No matter who the commander in chief is. And no matter if they voted for the bloke or did not. There is something called "code of honor" there.