Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
coberst

A Sunset is Enjoyed not Criticized

coberst

A Sunset is Enjoyed not Criticized

Criticism emphasizes deliberate judgment whereas enjoyment emphasizes the instinctive and immediate.

Criticism implies judgment and aesthetes (having an affecting sensitivity to beauty) imply perception. To reach a common ground between the two we must consider perceptions that are more than passive but are critical. Also we must adjust our notion of criticism to include “those judgments of value which are instinctive and immediate, that is, to include pleasures and pain”.

If we also narrow our concept of aesthetics (pleasing in appearance) so as to exclude all perceptions which are not appreciations, i.e. which do not find value in their objects, we can reach a “sphere of critical or appreciative perception”.

Thus, aesthetics is “concerned with the perception of values”.

Self consciousness is the precursor of the possibility of worth. For the existence of ‘good’ in any form emotional consciousness is required. “Observation will not do, appreciation is required.”

From this we can assert an axiom that is important for all moral philosophy; and science of morality should it ever come to be. “There is no value apart from some appreciation of it.”

Spinoza informs us that we desire nothing because it is good but that it is good because we desire it. We can find value in that which is not instinctively good only because it is derivative of the instinctively appreciated. “The verbal and mechanical proposition, that passes for judgment of worth, is the great cloak of ineptitude in these matters…Verbal judgments are often instruments of thought but it is not by them that worth can ultimately be determined.”

Quotes from “The Sense of Beauty” by George Santayana

John from Lowell

I would like to think that enjoying life is much more valuable that understand it.

coberst
I would like to think that enjoying life is much more valuable that understand it.

I think that understanding our self and our world is a very important aspect of enjoying life.

John from Lowell
I think that understanding our self and our world is a very important aspect of enjoying life.

I would agree with that. Still in my view is that understanding life itself is not the goal, enjoying life is the goal. We can never really understand all that we would like to appreciate in reguard to our human experience.

coberst

John

I am a retired engineer who started a hobby I call self-actualizing self-learning 25 years ago, which has become the most important hobby of my life, especially as I grow older.

John from Lowell
John

I am a retired engineer who started a hobby I call self-actualizing self-learning 25 years ago, which has become the most important hobby of my life, especially as I grow older.

That is good. I encourage that kind of self empowerment. I do not disagree with the things you have shared with our group here. They are very insightful. I am also retired. I worked in the computer industry most of my life. I have always had a keen interest in knowing how things worked - engineering. It is safe to say I will find my way into some form of engineering even at this point in my life. It is a matter of finding the right material to study. I do not need to earn money. It is the desire for expression that drives my interests in this area.

Have a good day.

John

Cradle of Fish

I have to strongly disagree. You can do both. Not all things fall apart and lose their beauty when they're inspected. Actually, a closer look may reveal even more beauty.