Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what does this blackbird mean

lea326

Hi,not sure if anyone knows what this could mean, but its freaking my sister out and her kids are terrified. My nephew was woken a few nights ago and said there was a blackbird in his bedroom it was in the middle of the floor eating what he thinks was a biscuit, he leant over said hello,it then looked at him made a noise then ran under his sisters bed. Hes only 4 and was petrified, his mum couldnt find anything in the room. Then whats really got us worried is a few nights later his 3 year old sister was screaming her head off , she said that there was a bird in the corner above her brothers bed, my sister couldnt see anything and when she asked what it was doing she said nothing just looking at me....Please if anyone has any suggestions what this could be let me kknow,just hope its something good...

:( in my culture the blackbird is a sign of death or hardtimes if its seen in a dream or at all its not a good sign not trying to freak you out though

Hi,not sure if anyone knows what this could mean, but its freaking my sister out and her kids are terrified. My nephew was woken a few nights ago and said there was a blackbird in his bedroom it was in the middle of the floor eating what he thinks was a biscuit, he leant over said hello,it then looked at him made a noise then ran under his sisters bed. Hes only 4 and was petrified, his mum couldnt find anything in the room. Then whats really got us worried is a few nights later his 3 year old sister was screaming her head off , she said that there was a bird in the corner above her brothers bed, my sister couldnt see anything and when she asked what it was doing she said nothing just looking at me....Please if anyone has any suggestions what this could be let me kknow,just hope its something good...

Find it and let it back out of the house,Birds sometimes get into a house by open windows or open door and in a blink of an eye it can happen,In no way should you think it is something super natual.Just find it and set it free.

:( in my culture the blackbird is a sign of death or hardtimes if its seen in a dream or at all its not a good sign not trying to freak you out though

& what culture is that?

Any bird in the house is a sign of death i think, if you are into the superstious belief.

there is a possiblity that a blackbird has somehow found its way into ur home and shud try 2 find an exterminator...other than that...im not japanese but its a symbol of death and shud b looked into....good luck...

yeah blackbird means death or hardtimes. :(

(if ur superstitous)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it like the "Black Dog" of Celtic (Irish) (I think, I'm notorious for messing up the origin of the myths I've read, sorry) myths that if you see it, it means someone near to you will die, but if someone else sees it following you, then you'll die?

And aren't Ravens a sign of wisdom in Norse Mythology (or messangers for the Gods)?

ETA: No, they're tricksters in a number of cultures.

Maybe that's what was going on, one of them was having a laugh at the poor kid's expense.

Edited by Wearer of Hats

Yeah, I was told that blackbirds represent death. It's just a superstition though. Last summer, I found a dead blackbird in my pool. The neighbor told me it represented death. I shrugged it off, laughed a little. She was serious, so I then proceeded to slowly walk away, lol.

Here we are 5-6 months later, and no death. So I doubt it means anything. Just a hungry blackbird who managed to get in your house.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure it's nothing, just a hungry bird. ;)

Have you considered that the Black bird is a ghost?

I know its kinda nonsense, an animal ghost? psh.

Well. its possible.

And usually the younger you are, the more aware of these type of things you are.

Just a guess. Looking at all the possibilities.

Yeah, I was told that blackbirds represent death. It's just a superstition though. Last summer, I found a dead blackbird in my pool. The neighbor told me it represented death. I shrugged it off, laughed a little

Well in that case it DID represent death.

The death of the Blackbird.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, are we talking about a blackbird or a bird which is black? Because I can't find any mention of the blackbird being an omen of bad things to come.

Birds which are black, though....they get a lot of negative press.

Assuming it is a blackbird, I'd imagine it's just got trapped in the house. Alternatively, they're having nightmares. Young children, to the best of my knowledge, can have very vivid nightmares or night terrors that can take the form of something they actually see while feeling awake. I certainly know that my niece and I both had nightmares like that when we were around that age.

Edited by Samael

are you sure its not there minds playing tricks on them these have happened at night and shadows turn into weird shapes as they merge with dark walls and such.

Blackbirds are one of the commonest UK birds and we see them all the time. The OP is also from the UK, so maybe it just flew in through an open window and got trapped inside the house.

I wonder if the OP is coming back to the thread.

• 4 years later...

One kid had a dream and the other (from context, I'd guess she was in the room when he had it) built on it? Small children aren't famous for being able to tell dreams from reality.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

When we lived in New Zealand, we had a species of bird called a fantail often find their way inside the house due to its design. Local Maori friends told us it was a harbinger of death and it was a terrible portent of doom. One of the fantails got trapped so regularly (chasing spiders I assume) that is became friendly enough I could catch it by hand easily and gently put it outside.

No one died then, or has died since. Superstitions are what you make of them, I'm afraid. If you want to be afraid you will be. I walk under ladders regularly just to put my mind at rest, :)

It means, Winter is coming.

Ha ha ha but it needs three eyes.

My guess one has had a dream and the other heard about it and dreamt it too. Otherwise there is a bird in the house. Put some food out see what happens.

1. Do as the good book says: “Don’t panic”

2. In no instance did the black bird cause any harm to your children or even threaten to do so explain to them that they have nothing to fear. Perhaps the black bird is being misunderstood...

3. Lookup some black bird or raven folklore and mythology with your kids – it is not all bad. In fact, there are a lot of positives to the black bird lore. Example:

The raven often has a bad press, for being a carrion bird it is ultimately associated with death, and consequently considered a bad omen by many, or a forewarning of war.

But there is much more to this enigmatic and intelligent bird than death, darkness and destruction. Raven is a trickster, a protector, a teacher, and a bringer of great magic.

http://www.squidoo.com/raven-symbolism-lore

4. Read some positive black bird stories to your children.

5. Remind the children to be calm the next time they see the black bird. It will not hurt them because it is on their side – a very special visitor indeed!

6. Encourage their curiosity: “Was it watching over you last night or playing a trick?”

Don’t fear your dark little visitor – cherish it!

Kids are huge copycats. When one child experiences something, it's not at all uncommon or unlikely, that another child or sibling will claim similar experiences.