Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

do you think science is a threat to society?

behaviour???

I think science is good for society, it is religion that is the real threat to society, as well as politics, and controlling cooperation's. B)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ravergirl

• Mattshark

• The Silver Thong

• AlexG

There have been plenty of discoveries made by NASA and other organizations that have helped man. There is also the colonization to consider, it's more about preserving life IMO. There have already been extinction events here on earth, we have so far been lucky that one hasn't happened since we first walked. Colonizing another planet doubles our chances of survival as a species. :tu:

Well, I suppose that is a very good reply. But as we have seen, the other planets are not fit for human habitation. Unless there is a chance we evolve into such species, that can survive on such conditions on the other planets. Unless we have the technology to make another planet into a habitable place for earthling species, and even if we have, (it is possible that we do have)it will take a long time and have to work over generations. And even if so, mars is more likely a planet we are thinking of, a small planet with so little gravity cannot hold the air and water. It may well disperse into outer space.

Actually, I was hoping on more work on the sun so that it will not expire so soon. But I also think it is beyond us.

I think science is good for society, it is religion that is the real threat to society, as well as politics, and controlling cooperation's. B)

I think we should leave religion out of this. Religion is "ok" in moderation. But I cannot really say the same for the other two.

Edited by AGoodWriter

There have been plenty of discoveries made by NASA and other organizations that have helped man. There is also the colonization to consider, it's more about preserving life IMO. There have already been extinction events here on earth, we have so far been lucky that one hasn't happened since we first walked. Colonizing another planet doubles our chances of survival as a species. :tu:

Not to mention the possibility of constructing a lunar base for mining operations. If Helium-3 is nearly as abundant on the moon as estimates have shown, we could easily end our energy crisis. Another possibility is the construction of satellites which concentrate solar power for use on earth: source.

And yet another good reason to continue space exploration is that it's an exciting field of scientific research, one of the few which attract children and motivate them to pursue higher education.

Not to mention the possibility of constructing a lunar base for mining operations. If Helium-3 is nearly as abundant on the moon as estimates have shown, we could easily end our energy crisis. Another possibility is the construction of satellites which concentrate solar power for use on earth: source.

And yet another good reason to continue space exploration is that it's an exciting field of scientific research, one of the few which attract children and motivate them to pursue higher education.

Actually I'm glad that there is more interest in space exploration. There was a huge following during the apollo missions, but it kind of lagged a little with the shuttle missions. Now since the Mars lander there has been a recent surge of interest. I find this stuff fascinating myself, and personally I feel our future is in the stars, but that's just me.

Actually I'm glad that there is more interest in space exploration. There was a huge following during the apollo missions, but it kind of lagged a little with the shuttle missions. Now since the Mars lander there has been a recent surge of interest. I find this stuff fascinating myself, and personally I feel our future is in the stars, but that's just me.

It costs a lot of money to do space travel. And it still has a certain amount of risk.

They are not the fault of science. That is the fault of people. Seems looking crime rates though that society is actually improving and we are getting better at catching criminals (thanks to science). Biochemical warfare was used far more in WW1 than now was it not. Engineering people is obviously a matter for opinion (and the variation with in its use is further debatable) but do either of these things affect you day to day life? I'm sure the massive reduction in crime over the last 50 years does.

So in regards to the OP's question, no science is not a danger, man is. Science is just a study of the world around us and its made our lives safer and longer.

Well alot of that can be contributed to making abortion legal. Especialy considering places like Planned parenthood targets the poor. So to me, crime isnt acualy down at all. The criminals are just being murdered before they become criminals.

Well alot of that can be contributed to making abortion legal. Especialy considering places like Planned parenthood targets the poor. So to me, crime isnt acualy down at all. The criminals are just being murdered before they become criminals.

Who do you think you're kidding here, dude?

You know, I actually think all of our problems are because we drink way too much coke. It's somehow connected to every single problem on Earth.

Who do you think you're kidding here, dude?

You know, I actually think all of our problems are because we drink way too much coke. It's somehow connected to every single problem on Earth.

I've been aheavy coke drinker all my life, and then two years ago I just stopped.

I had a coke the other day, and I can't for the life of me see what I liked in that taste.

It costs a lot of money to do space travel. And it still has a certain amount of risk.

I already gave examples where space travel can more than make up the costs, and what risk?

Oh great the abortion murderer calling crowd. So my mum had an abortion because she could not afford a child, so is that foetus a criminal then? How about my friend who did after her contraception failed?

What I see as the biggest problem is that people are just not very bright.

What I see as the biggest problem is that people are just not very bright.

Uh huh. Where do you stop with the pro-life thing anyway? So its stopping a potential fully developed human being from growing, and is therefore murder. Right, so surely a sperm is counted as a potential human being? So you can be called a murderer for letting a sperm die?

So we can't let any sperm or eggs die.

That could be exhausting.

So you can be called a murderer for letting a sperm die?

If that's the case then every teen age boy in the world is a serial killer. :lol:

Half of all zygotes (the things "pro-life" advocates think we should protect) naturally die during the first 2 weeks after conception. God doesn't seem to have much respect for them, so why should we?