Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who fancies a riddle?

thebarman

What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?

Yeah, I know easy....

A stamp....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• thebarman

• Potholer

• zentient

THE MISSING DOLLAR:

Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent.

Where did the other dollar go????

25 dollars is what they were charged. Thus each actually paid 8.3333333333333333333333333333333 dollars before getting the three bucks back. So the 8.3333333333333333333333333333333 times three equals 25 dollars plus the three that was return brings it to 28 dollars and then of course you have to add the 2 dollars the bell hope took, which brings it back to 30 dollars. Dollar never disapeared. It is just weird and incomplete math.

That made my brain stumped a tiny bit until I relised the math wasn't right. I then went back and devided 25 by 3. To find out what they really payed. And then worked out errors and up to the point where I figured it out. Ta Da.

Edited by Kevin7557

Here's the answer Kev...erm, and i still cant work it out.

The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.

riddle spot

Here's the answer Kev...erm, and i still cant work it out.

The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.

riddle spot

Sorry but that answer is wrong. Technically they all paid 9.3333333333333333333333333333333 each. Mathmatically I gave the right answer. The question was where did the dollar go and the answer is it went nowhere. Cause you have to remember that the bellhop kept 2 dollars which leaves the 28 dollars that they would have had together. Which then is devided by three getting the result of 9.3333333333333333333333333333333. So technically I am not wrong.

A man was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

You have a barrel of oil, and you need to measure out just one gallon. How do you do this if you only have a three-gallon container and a five-gallon container?

If your sock drawer has 6 black socks, 4 brown socks, 8 white socks, and 2 tan socks, how many socks would you have to pull out in the dark to be sure you had a matching pair?

What is broken every time it's spoken?

How did Mark legally marry three women in Michigan, without divorcing any of them, becoming legally separated, or any of them dying?

Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?

1. I'm sorry. (I don't know that is a hard one you need more details to guess this)

2. Nice die hard question. You fill the five gallon container and empty it into the three gallon container. Leaving you with 2 gallons. Then you dump the three gallon container out and dump the five into the 3 again leaving the 5 empty. You now fill the five gallon again. empty it into the 3 gallon which leaves you with 4 gallons in the five gallon. Empty the 3 galloon out and then fill it with the five gallon again which then leaves you 1 galloon left in the five galloon. I bet there is an easier way but that is the way I figured.

3. 2

4. Silence

5. Really carefully. LOL. He is morman.

6. 10

• 3 weeks later...
A man was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

You have a barrel of oil, and you need to measure out just one gallon. How do you do this if you only have a three-gallon container and a five-gallon container?

If your sock drawer has 6 black socks, 4 brown socks, 8 white socks, and 2 tan socks, how many socks would you have to pull out in the dark to be sure you had a matching pair?

What is broken every time it's spoken?

How did Mark legally marry three women in Michigan, without divorcing any of them, becoming legally separated, or any of them dying?

Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?

1. He said, "I will be sentenced to 6 years in prison".

2. Fill 5g container and tip it into the 3g container, leaving 2g. Tip that 2 back into the empty 3g container. Now fill the 5g and pour into the 3g, this will leave 4g in the 5g container. Empty the 3g, fill it from the 5g and you got 1g left in the 5g container!

3. 5

4. Silence

5. Polygamy is illegal in the US, so he must have been the priest/minister/official who conducted the ceremony (i.e. he married them to other people).

6. 7

My new riddle:-

You are in a room with 3 switches that connect to 3 light bulbs in a different room (the lights are currently off).

You can turn the switches on and off as many times as you like, but you may only enter the room with the lights once.

You cannot see the room with the lights from where you are.

The puzzle is to find out which switch works which light bulb..........

All correct Zentient.

And I believe the answer to your one is: Switch on the first one for a minute, then switch it off. Then turn on the second switch and enter the room. The bulb connected to the first switch will be warm, the bulb connected to the second will be on and the bulb connected to the third switch will be off and cold :D

One man shows another a photo, when asked who is in it, he replies "Brothers and sisters I have none, that man's father is my father's son."

All correct Zentient.

And I believe the answer to your one is: Switch on the first one for a minute, then switch it off. Then turn on the second switch and enter the room. The bulb connected to the first switch will be warm, the bulb connected to the second will be on and the bulb connected to the third switch will be off and cold :D

One man shows another a photo, when asked who is in it, he replies "Brothers and sisters I have none, that man's father is my father's son."

Correct :tu:

Your question: The photo is of the man's son

New question: After walking south one mile, east one mile, then north one mile I find myself back at my starting point. How is this possible?

You're at the North pole?

The more you take away from it the larger it becomes; the more you add to it, the smaller it becomes. What is it?

You're at the North pole?

The more you take away from it the larger it becomes; the more you add to it, the smaller it becomes. What is it?

Correct!

Answer to yours: A hole

I can see these are too easy!

Will be back later with something more difficult......

In the meantime, thisis a brain teaser by Lewis Carroll:

I have a Russian friend whos has 3 sons.

The first son is called Rab and became a lawyer.

The second is called Yrma and became a soldier.

The third son became a sailor. What was his name?

Correct :D

Here is a list, should keep you occupied :P

1. What is true to the last?

2. What do you lose everytime you stand up?

3. What should you always try to keep, since nobody else really wants it?

4. What occurs once in a minute, twice in a moment, but not at all in a split second?

5. What do you look into everyday?

6. What always comes at the end of everything?

7. What is it hard to beat?

8. What stays hot longest in the fridge?

9. What smells the most in a pig-sty?

10. What gets wetter the more it dries?

11. What can you break without hitting or dropping?

12. What does a girl need for brushing her teeth, combing her hair and keeping the rain off?

I know they're pretty easy, but have fun :lol:

Wow!

Ok, not sure about all of these yet, but here goes:-

1. errr.... the truth?

2. your seat

3. ?

4. the letter "m"

5. a mirror? the past?

6. the letter "g"

7. a drum with a hole in it? an ostrich egg?

8. chilli pepper/sauce

9. the pig?

10. a towel

11. silence

12. ?

1. errr.... the truth? Nope. I'll give you a hint, try finding a not often used definition of 'last'

2. your seat Try again :)

3. ?

4. the letter "m" Yep :D

5. a mirror? Right again :w00t:

6. the letter "g" Correct

7. a drum with a hole in it? The answeris 'A broken drum', but I'll accept a Drum with a hole in it :lol:

8. chilli pepper/sauce Correct :P

9. the pig? Nope :ph34r:

10. a towel Got this one right too

11. silence Yep ^_^

12. ?

Let me know if you give up :yes::P

9. What smells the most in a pig-sty?

Your lap.

Your nose?

Both correct Juupy :D

Now you guys just have to answer 1,2,3,12 :P

Nope :lol: It's a ridiculously obvious answer :P

Correct :D

your lap

3. What should you always try to keep, since nobody else really wants it?

your opinion

12. What does a girl need for brushing her teeth, combing her hair and keeping the rain off?

A toothbrush, a comb and an umbrella

i think i remember these riddles in a book i got from primary school...

one of the riddles was, what has two heads, four eyes, six legs and a tail?

1. a shoe!

Yep B)

Tigger, you got 2 and 12 right.

Number 3 was 'Your temper'

And the answer to yours is a man and his dog (I think :P )

A man hosts a party and invites the following people:

2 mothers

1 grandmother

3 grandchildren

2 sons

2 daughters

1 brother

2 sisters

1 father-in-law

1 mother-in-law

1 daughter-in-law

3 children.

Everybody came, but there were only 7 people. How does this work?