Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How a pretty face wins votes

questionmark

The Beauty Bounce: How a pretty face wins votes

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 31/10/2008

Sarah Palin has stormed the American political scene as the plain-talking hockey mum - but being a former beauty queen with expensive clothes and make-up may have had even more impact, new research claims.

Scientists have discovered the "Beauty Bounce" does exist and that for female candidates having a pretty face really does win votes from both men and women.

The research suggests that the much-vaunted £100,000 spent on the vice presidential hopeful's wardrobe and the high salary of her make-up artist really is money well spent.

The study by Northwestern University in Chicago found that while the perception of competence was the biggest vote winner, for women at least beauty could give them an extra boost - especially among men.

"Even female voters seemed to tap into the cultural expectation that women who are attractive as well as competent are more worthy of high status roles," said Joan Chiao, assistant professor of psychology at the university.

While a female candidate's attractiveness had an effect on both male and female voters, good looks was almost all that mattered in predicting men's votes for female candidates.

The team of researchers asked 73 people (35 male and 38 female) to look at the faces of 106 relatively unknown congressional candidates from the 2006 House of Representatives election.

They were asked to rate them on a number of factors including competence, attractiveness and approachability on a scale of one to seven, from 'not at all' to 'very much'.

They were then later asked if they would vote for the same candidates for president.

Overall, voters perceived the faces of male politicians as more competent and dominant relative to female politicians; female politicians were perceived as more attractive and approachable relative to males.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• Space Commander Travis

• Starr Destin Mathews

• SQLserver

Yup, I lost the class Presidency To a Girl named Candy, who Had a Big Rack and Just said she would be Good For everyone.

p***ed me off, because I had a budget and Had Ideas which Could have helped Our student Body, In more ways than Candy, Ever Did. Imo.

My own Friends voted For her, Just by her batting her pretty eye Lashes at them.

Sad, Verry sad, I will be scarred For Life.

OK I'm Over it Now. :rolleyes:

Love Omnaka

Edited For Too much Love.

Edited by Omnaka

They actually had to do a study on this :D

edit: MILF is the in thing ;)

Why are all the women holding tomato's :P

Edited by The Silver Thong

The Beauty Bounce: How a pretty face wins votes

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 31/10/2008

Sarah Palin has stormed the American political scene as the plain-talking hockey mum - but being a former beauty queen with expensive clothes and make-up may have had even more impact, new research claims.

Scientists have discovered the "Beauty Bounce" does exist and that for female candidates having a pretty face really does win votes from both men and women.

The research suggests that the much-vaunted £100,000 spent on the vice presidential hopeful's wardrobe and the high salary of her make-up artist really is money well spent.

The study by Northwestern University in Chicago found that while the perception of competence was the biggest vote winner, for women at least beauty could give them an extra boost - especially among men.

"Even female voters seemed to tap into the cultural expectation that women who are attractive as well as competent are more worthy of high status roles," said Joan Chiao, assistant professor of psychology at the university.

While a female candidate's attractiveness had an effect on both male and female voters, good looks was almost all that mattered in predicting men's votes for female candidates.

The team of researchers asked 73 people (35 male and 38 female) to look at the faces of 106 relatively unknown congressional candidates from the 2006 House of Representatives election.

They were asked to rate them on a number of factors including competence, attractiveness and approachability on a scale of one to seven, from 'not at all' to 'very much'.

They were then later asked if they would vote for the same candidates for president.

Overall, voters perceived the faces of male politicians as more competent and dominant relative to female politicians; female politicians were perceived as more attractive and approachable relative to males.

Full story, source: The Telegraph

LOL then hilary is pretty much screwed if looks are the case :lol:

Yup, I lost the class Presidency To a Girl named Candy, who Had a Big Rack and Just said she would be Good For everyone.

p***ed me off, because I had a budget and Had Ideas which Could have helped Our student Body, In more ways than Candy, Ever Did. Imo.

My own Friends voted For her, Just by her batting her pretty eye Lashes at them.

OK I'm Over it Now. :rolleyes:

Love Omnaka

Edited For Too much Love.

you should have tripped her lol,JK same thing happened to me, the tall thin blonde girl got to be class president,:( she also lost us the brainbowl,when she insisted on taking my place, because I got called to the office, I had us in a 6 point lead, by the time I got back we had lost by 2.

I don't think it's so much her looks that have made her popular, but rather her conservatism that she brought to a campaign that was lacking conservatism.

I don't think it's so much her looks that have made her popular, but rather her conservatism that she brought to a campaign that was lacking conservatism.

IMO, she is an over-aged cheerleader. Give her some pom-poms and she'll take Katie Couric on a little better next time. I can here here cheer now, "Go team fight win, a vote for Obama isn't American."

Edited by SoCrazes

Um.

I don't even know where to begin, this story is so ridiculous.

"Even female voters seemed to tap into the cultural expectation that women who are attractive as well as competent are more worthy of high status roles,"

Well, how did Palin get there, then, being neither?

:cry:

This is all about plain jealousy.

Look at what the Democrats have, Hillary, Boxer, Pelosi.

Women that are annoying to look at.

We do live in a world that does graviate to better looks than not regardless of skill.

B. Hussein Obama is a good example too. He looks good in a suit, is clearly physically more energetic than others, and is more animated in his presentations.

No one is saying that makes him unqualified.

It's amazing how the feminists are throwing Palin under the bus. Shows where they stand too.

Edited by MasterPo

I don't think she's all that pretty. But I am a straight female, so what do I know?

B. Hussein Obama is a good example too.

Pathetic.

I don't think she's all that pretty. But I am a straight female, so what do I know?

I'm a straight male and for a 43 y/o mother she's very attractive. I wouldn't mind being shipwrecked on an island with her! ;)

Oh dear. The sad part is, this is very true.

OK I'm Over it Now. rolleyes.gif

Capitalizing Every Word Like This Can Be Eye Scarring... :P

B. Hussein Obama

OLOL, HIS MIDDLE NAME IS HUSSEIN LOL!!!!!!!11`1111111

I'll get back to you on this.

Well, she did make the cover of Vogue:

linked-image

Personally, I don't think she's that hot either...

Cheers,

SQLserver

Edit: Spell Chunker needed...

Edited by sqlserver

Pathetic.

Now now. Let's be adult. He may be completely wrong but even I wouldn't say B. Hussein Obama is pathetic. Misguided perhaps, but not pathetic. B)

B. Hussein Obama

... :D:rofl::P :P :P :P

Edit: Expect 90 days of this, dude. ;)

Edited by SQL-HUSSEIN-Server

Now now. Let's be adult. He may be completely wrong but even I wouldn't say B. Hussein Obama is pathetic. Misguided perhaps, but not pathetic. B)

You seriously are making yourself looking monumentally stupid, you know. Have any conception how childish you make yourself look?

You seriously are making yourself looking monumentally stupid, you know. Have any conception how childish you make yourself look?

Since when is using a person's full name stupid or childish?

I submit that you have the issue if you don't like what the man's name is!

Since when is using a person's full name stupid or childish?

Well, that's been ok for forever.

You aren't using his full name, however.

Instead, it's more of a:

B. - (who cares about first names?)

HUSSEIN -(LOLOLOLOLO!!!1)

Obama -

His full name is Barack Hussein Obama, not B. HUSSEIN(lol) Obama.

GASP! SARAH PALIN HAS THE SAME NAME AS ROBERT PALIN, A CRIMINAL FROM AUSTRALIA!

LYNCH HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

SQLServer

Edited by SQL-HUSSEIN-Server

Watch it Po, you did say you thought Obama looked good in a suit.

she looks like a rabid gopher LOL

Edited by Starr Destin Mathews

If Palin didn't look nice and dress nice the Libs would be calling her a HillBilly or a Hick.

You could count on that.

Well, that's been ok for forever.

You aren't using his full name, however.

Instead, it's more of a:

B. - (who cares about first names?)

HUSSEIN -(LOLOLOLOLO!!!1)

Obama -

His full name is Barack Hussein Obama, not B. HUSSEIN(lol) Obama.

GASP! SARAH PALIN HAS THE SAME NAME AS ROBERT PALIN, A CRIMINAL FROM AUSTRALIA!

LYNCH HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

SQLServer

:P .