Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosauria: Some may still exist

Led7Zeppelin

What are all of your thoughts on the Dino scenario, could they really still exist?

Now before you answer take head of the fallowing facts:

-- Some say "no" because our atmosphere is different... This isn't Jurassic Park they've stayed on the planet the whole 65 mil years, so obviously they would have plenty of time to adapt..

-- Too big to hide? Take your eyes away from the television, the average size of a dinosaur was about as big as a dog.

-- Most sightings of dinosaurs aren't of Dinosaurs but of an unknown creature resembling a dinosaur. For instance the fresh bones found in Alaska of duckbilled dino's and horned dino's that were first thought to be of a goat before they were identified.. No the temperature didn't preserve them for 65 million years, they actually estimated it to be a surprising 15 year old bones, which is amazing...

-- The Lost Island thesis is the most popular in books but is also the most plausible, for if an island was lucky enough to have not of been touched by the outside world for 65 million years, then perhaps they do still roam...

--Take note that dinosaur sightings are just as frequent as Bigfoot, tho not from hillbillies, but rather from tribes and other villages.

So what do you all think, yes, no, maybe so... Let's hear it...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Undeadskeptic

• psyche101

• Led7Zeppelin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are all of your thoughts on the Dino scenario, could they really still exist?

-- Some say "no" because our atmosphere is different... This isn't Jurassic Park they've stayed on the planet the whole 65 mil years, so obviously they would have plenty of time to adapt..

How would they overcome all the resident animals in their niches? We seems to have a balance happening here. A Dinosaur populaton would alter that balance.

-- Too big to hide? Take your eyes away from the television, the average size of a dinosaur was about as big as a dog.

Some tourists found a 2 inch furry lobster on the bottom of the sea in the middle of nowhere a couple years ago. We get around quite a bit these days. A living Dinosaur would be well recognised by anyone I would think?

-- Most sightings of dinosaurs aren't of Dinosaurs but of an unknown creature resembling a dinosaur. For instance the fresh bones found in Alaska of duckbilled dino's and horned dino's that were first thought to be of a goat before they were identified.. No the temperature didn't preserve them for 65 million years, they actually estimated it to be a surprising 15 year old bones, which is amazing...

Hrrmzzz.............. not able to believe a 15 year time frame. Do you have a source?

-- The Lost Island thesis is the most popular in books but is also the most plausible, for if an island was lucky enough to have not of been touched by the outside world for 65 million years, then perhaps they do still roam...

Why would one relic population survive when all others perished? I believe most Islands are fairly well documented. A vaugue possibility in this instance, but overshadowed by other factors. PNG has been investigated for the very reason more than once by intrepid explorers.

--Take note that dinosaur sightings are just as frequent as Bigfoot, tho not from hillbillies, but rather from tribes and other villages.

?? More than 400 + sightings a year? Once again, do you have a source? Bit hard to swallow that one........

The Mokele Mbembe tale appears somewhat exaggerated. I believe just as many, or more naitives siad "Rhino" not "Dino".

A resounding no. Expeditions have failed to provide a trace of evidence. Only anecdotes. The fossil record spells a fairly good record.

Although, I do understand the fascination. I remember feverishly reading up on Mokele Mbembe. The deeper you look, the more dissapointing it gets. A really good read, if you can overlook the creationist credentials is the site of Jonathan Whitcomb, (I feel his investigations do not force anyone to change their own religious beliefs.) his Ropen stories are fascinating. His accounts of his expeditions to Umboi Island show his dedication is strong. He self funds a great deal of his research. I have always admired his dedication to the subject.

In addition, I do believe Led Zepplin were phenomenal. You have mighty fine taste in music there.

How would they overcome all the resident animals in their niches? We seems to have a balance happening here. A Dinosaur populaton would alter that balance.

Overcome resident animals in thier niches? You have to realize they've adapted along side everything else if indeed some have survived, no animals would effect thier niches, especially if they lived in the Congo where most have been reported... A vast amount of jungle remains unexplored, most of which is jungle so dense that you could be standing inches away from an unknown creature and not even know, most people who dismiss this subject have no idea just how vast and dense it really is out there.

Some tourists found a 2 inch furry lobster on the bottom of the sea in the middle of nowhere a couple years ago. We get around quite a bit these days. A living Dinosaur would be well recognised by anyone I would think?

A two inch furry lobster at the bottom of the sea? Did they rent a submarine? If so it could have been entirely by chance. Have you ever heard of the Caleocanth? A fish thought to have died out millions of years ago was recently found, and it's actually fairly large, and it too was found by chance, a lucky fisherman... Now put a 2 foot reptile in a place hardly ventured in by anybody but tribes...

Hrrmzzz.............. not able to believe a 15 year time frame. Do you have a source?

!5 year time frame was an estimate, the remains were "fresh", even if they were frozen they couldn't of lasted 65 millions years, and in Alaska, not even an extreme out there... Besides they weren't buried but found "out in the open"... No source i'm sorry, I saw it on television and after googling this is all i came up with...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v...4/dinosaurs.asp

It's under Dinosaur Sightings.

Why would one relic population survive when all others perished? I believe most Islands are fairly well documented. A vaugue possibility in this instance, but overshadowed by other factors. PNG has been investigated for the very reason more than once by intrepid explorers.

Why not? The shark did, and has remained unchanged for millions of years.. The sea is as explored as the moon, there are probably hundreds of islands undiscovered.. Of course the possibilities are thin, but it is possible an island could go "untouched" by the outside world. The finding of a three meter dinosaur in the belly of a whale may account that somwhere out there an island may contain ancient life (Also on that link above)

?? More than 400 + sightings a year? Once again, do you have a source? Bit hard to swallow that one........

The Mokele Mbembe tale appears somewhat exaggerated. I believe just as many, or more naitives siad "Rhino" not "Dino".

Oh yea, well over four hundred, if you count Nessie and Champ as pleasiosuars, then certainly it stands near even with bigfoot. Once again a bit hard, but no source, I don't lie in my arguments, I'm not here to prove something right with false information. The Mokele Mbembe tale had documented reports, in fact one about a tribe growing incredibly ill over a huge carcass that took months to eat due to it's size that rotted but was still eaten. The people who went to investigate reported the creature being eaten was unknown but had the describtion of a long necked animal with four legs, the tribe said the creature was brought down near the village, most of them saying without hesitation that it was Mokele Mbembe, of course thats the name they gave it...

A Rhino looks nothing of the decriptions gave by witnesses, that big horn would be hard to miss.

A resounding no. Expeditions have failed to provide a trace of evidence. Only anecdotes. The fossil record spells a fairly good record.

Although, I do understand the fascination. I remember feverishly reading up on Mokele Mbembe. The deeper you look, the more dissapointing it gets. A really good read, if you can overlook the creationist credentials is the site of Jonathan Whitcomb, (I feel his investigations do not force anyone to change their own religious beliefs.) his Ropen stories are fascinating. His accounts of his expeditions to Umboi Island show his dedication is strong. He self funds a great deal of his research. I have always admired his dedication to the subject.

In addition, I do believe Led Zepplin were phenomenal. You have mighty fine taste in music there.

It's straight to keep an open mind, and I have no set answer to whether i believe they still exist or whether they don't, but what good does it do to dismiss the things in our world that defy the B/S we learn in school, Scientists think they know it all, it does my heart good to make them feel stupid...

Lol, Led Zeppelin was phenomenal, they were the best..

Some tourists found a 2 inch furry lobster on the bottom of the sea in the middle of nowhere a couple years ago. We get around quite a bit these days. A living Dinosaur would be well recognized by anyone I would think?

What makes you think that the dinosaurs of today ( if any ) would look like those that you see on television that existed `millions' of years ago? As Led7Zepplin has said , if they did adapt to whatever changes and evolved , they would be nothing like those fossils or creatures you see on Television

What makes you think that the dinosaurs of today ( if any ) would look like those that you see on television that existed `millions' of years ago? As Led7Zepplin has said , if they did adapt to whatever changes and evolved , they would be nothing like those fossils or creatures you see on Television

Like a chicken? A decendant of T Rex? -

In addition, both studies found similarities between the dino sample and the bone collagen of chickens, providing molecular support for the hypothesis that modern birds are descended from dinosaurs.

Until now the dino-bird connection has been entirely based on physical similarities in fossils' body structures (related: "Earliest Bird Had Feet Like Dinosaur, Fossil Shows" [December 1, 2005]).

Source

We have the decendants of Dinosaurs - Birds. What makes you think something well known has evaded this sort of scrutiny? Or are you saying that something might exist somwhere that we have not yet discovered that is also related to Dinosaurs?

The type of decendant you are describing here has already been discovered and documented.

The point of the furry Lobster was a couple tourists in the middle of nowhere found a 2 inch creature at the bottom of the sea. We do get around a bit.

Edited by psyche101

Overcome resident animals in thier niches? You have to realize they've adapted along side everything else if indeed some have survived, no animals would effect thier niches, especially if they lived in the Congo where most have been reported... A vast amount of jungle remains unexplored, most of which is jungle so dense that you could be standing inches away from an unknown creature and not even know, most people who dismiss this subject have no idea just how vast and dense it really is out there.

Yes. Otherwise fossil record would lead us to these hidden populations.

I have a good idea just how dense and dangerous the Congo is. That is not the half of it, disease, Tse Tse flies, it's hell in a hallway.

Here is a fact you may not be aware of that puts the likelyhood of such a creature as Mokele Mbembe in great doubt.

Sauropods have what is called arranged digits. Their "fingers or toes" so to speak extend straight of the end of their wrist (using basic terms here in order to get my point across in the broadest possible sense, I apologise if I sound condacending). Horses also have this sort of Carpal (finger/toe) arrangement. This makes traversing boggy terrain like the swampy regions of Lake Tele and Likouala swamp region impossible for such a behemoth. He would sink straight to his elbows and die as the entire weight of the creature is borne on a very small area. Rhino's and Elephants however have what is called a "carpal spread". This is where the digits "radiate" from the "wrist" to form a walking platform - like snowshoes. This makes it possible for Elephants and Rhinos to enjoy the cooling effects of the water in such hot climates experienced so close to the equator.

A two inch furry lobster at the bottom of the sea? Did they rent a submarine? If so it could have been entirely by chance. Have you ever heard of the Caleocanth? A fish thought to have died out millions of years ago was recently found, and it's actually fairly large, and it too was found by chance, a lucky fisherman... Now put a 2 foot reptile in a place hardly ventured in by anybody but tribes...

Sorry - it was an expedition. My memory has let me down here. However, I maintain that we do get around a bit. And we do spend quite some time researching places like vents on the bottom of the ocean - we also map the arctic shelf. Major underwater studies are constantly being carried out. Here is a link to the Lobster story.

The main thing you are missing with the story of the Coelacanth (apart from the fact it was 70 odd years ogo - quite some time that we have had to catch up on a few species) is that it was unkown to Western Science. Discovered? Depends on your point of view. The locals were quite aware of the fish. They call it King of the Sea and know it is lousy eating. They had been chucking them back for centuries.

As with the Panda, Gorrilla, Okapi etc. etc, before a discovery of a live specimen for decades other proof existed like pelts, bones etc. Not just the odd story that increases traffic to a very poor villiage.

Major war has been raging in the Congo for Years. Many Gorrillas have been shot in the process mistaken for Guerilla's. The area is war torn, not inaccessible.

!5 year time frame was an estimate, the remains were "fresh", even if they were frozen they couldn't of lasted 65 millions years, and in Alaska, not even an extreme out there... Besides they weren't buried but found "out in the open"... No source i'm sorry, I saw it on television and after googling this is all i came up with...

Sorry, and no offence but I require a credible source to believe such an outragous claim. That would be like me presenting Zoo Weekly or Pravda to support my point of view as a source.

Why not? The shark did, and has remained unchanged for millions of years.. The sea is as explored as the moon, there are probably hundreds of islands undiscovered.. Of course the possibilities are thin, but it is possible an island could go "untouched" by the outside world. The finding of a three meter dinosaur in the belly of a whale may account that somwhere out there an island may contain ancient life (Also on that link above)

Unchanged? Hrrmzzz, think I'll call on Mattshark here but I feel quite some changes have happed as far as what type of sharks and the sizes in the oceans have indeed undergone changes.

The possibilities are more than thin as the world is fairly well mapped. Sattelite technology has advanced this area incredibly in the last few decades. Did you check out Jonathon Whitcomb? Marcy/Milt? They put up expeditions for such finds. Although I feel they would serve society far better by donating that time and money to the Leakey foundation.

Oh yea, well over four hundred, if you count Nessie and Champ as pleasiosuars, then certainly it stands near even with bigfoot. Once again a bit hard, but no source, I don't lie in my arguments, I'm not here to prove something right with false information. The Mokele Mbembe tale had documented reports, in fact one about a tribe growing incredibly ill over a huge carcass that took months to eat due to it's size that rotted but was still eaten. The people who went to investigate reported the creature being eaten was unknown but had the describtion of a long necked animal with four legs, the tribe said the creature was brought down near the village, most of them saying without hesitation that it was Mokele Mbembe, of course thats the name they gave it...

A Rhino looks nothing of the decriptions gave by witnesses, that big horn would be hard to miss.

Sightings? Nessie and Champ are only a few a year aren;t they? Ever wonder why all these sighting fail to provide a single piece of footage?

Actually, as I said, as many or more naitives call Mokele Mbembe a Rhinoceros. The few that pointed at the picture of a Sauropod have been far sensationalised over the more mundane account. I just cannot see such a huge creature evading the many expeditions completely. No bones, no tooth, what about the Pygmies that ate a whole one (BTW, the story I heard was Mokele was cursed, and all that consumed the flesh died within 1 year) do they not have a bone or skull left of this creature? Surely they did not eat the bones too? Where's the skeleton?

It's straight to keep an open mind, and I have no set answer to whether i believe they still exist or whether they don't, but what good does it do to dismiss the things in our world that defy the B/S we learn in school, Scientists think they know it all, it does my heart good to make them feel stupid...

I am so very sorry you feel that way about scientists. You will find many very helpful ones in here that are polite and a real pleasure to speak to. I find them great people willing to share that knowledge they have paid for with not only money, but very hard work with us for free!! How good is that!! Who gets anything for nothing these days? I only hope that your time here can show you that you have a misconception of these fine people who are in all honesty only doing their level best to bring more knowledge to all of us. That is not such a bad thing is it?

An open mind is great, but I feel it is very important to remeber that Mother Nature has a set of rules we cannot break. If the description of a creatures breaks Mother Natures laws, it cannot exist. She is one tough b****.

Lol, Led Zeppelin was phenomenal, they were the best..

Were? Still are !! Nobody can play a Les Paul like Jimmy Page can! LOL :D I will never get sick of listening to Zepplin. Love the Page/Plant stuff too. What a guitar player!!!!!!! It is a hard call, but I think one of my all time favourites would be "The Rover" from "Physical Graffitti".

Edited by psyche101

First off you have too realize that everyone who is everyone on the Crypto board knows about the ceolacanth. It is too cryptozoologists as what the holocaust is to political debaters. They fall back on it as an example atleast once during their career.

Firstly. Ceolacanths are not sharks, they are lobe-finned fish.

Secondly. When you read things like "70% of the ocean has yet to be explored" it means beneath water, the majority of land mass, I'd assume around 89% is charted due to satelitte imaging technologies. That 11% I would put towards areas of thick forest like Northern Canada and Russia, and Africa and Southern America. Even 11% might be a little underexaggerated.

An elephant is also large, and has four legs. If the body was devoured/decomposed enough, even the trunk could begin to look like a neck of sorts. Its really hard to tell the genuinity of the reports from so long ago.

You make it sound like some huge conspiracy set by the scientists. Regardless that "B/S" you learn in school will put you through your adult life. Also, if anyone has a right to dismiss things, it is the educated proffesionals that make up these scientific bodies.

But I digress, i'm going to have to side with Psyche on these matters.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/goannas.htm

Goannas evolved in the northern hemisphere in the Upper Cretaceous Period about 90 million years ago. However, in the Miocene Epoch, about 15 million years ago, goannas moved south into Africa and Australia. In Africa, only a few species evolved, but in Australia, goannas evolved into more than 20 species of which at least one is extinct. Goannas may have evolved in such profusion in Australia because when they arrived, there were relatively few medium-sized carnivores competing for the same resources. Africa, however, had a large number of medium-sized carnivores, especially mammals in the dog and weasel families.

First of all, I know Goannas aren't dinosaurs, but I believe that they would act in a similar fashion.

It is well known that if a species is successful they will multiply and spread out, even going as far as ranging into new territories. For example, the Komodo Dragon lives on about 5 islands, not just one. Link They have adapted and swam across open ocean to reach new territories, Australian goannas have been known to do the same thing.

According to the quote from the link I posted goannas have been very successful in Australia, as opposed to Africa because the conditions were more favorable to them in Aus. They had very little competition so now their range is very large, you can find them in most places in Australia now.

A successful population of Dinos (IMO) would be no different. They would breed until they reached the highest population that a given area would support, then they would begin to increase their range. Any Dino living today would have to be very adept at surviving I.E. very successful. The only thing that would make them stop expanding would be natural boundaries such as desert or ocean borders, however as I previously stated, those aren't permanent borders and have been shown as a slight inconvenience. (to put it in my own words)

With a thriving, successful dino population, it doesn't matter how small they may be, or what kind of area they live in, they would be found. Actually, the more time that passes, the chances become higher IMO. :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate

When you use the idiots and liars at AiG as source you really are throwing any credibility away

Are you kidding. Sharks have changed massively. Very few of the 400+ species of shark around now where around when the dinosaurs where. They have changed a huge amount in that time, or do you think the evolution of the hammerhead is remaining unchanged? If you would like a list of modern sharks I could give you one but it would take a while because it would cover about 75% of all shark species, maybe more.

And no there are no unknown islands, satellites have seen to that. Secondly a small island could not support a population of large dinosaurs.

Why would a whale exactly have a 3 metre dinosaur in its stomach. How many large whales eat animals that big? Just 1 and that one eats squid. 1 dolphin eats animals that big but only transient families of the killer whale fall into this category. But since no dinosaur lived in the sea we can rule out that idea. AiG is lying to you so we shall ignore that site.

Pleasiosaurs are NOT dinosaurs and it is a biological impossibility for loch Ness to support a single pleasiosaur never mind a viable population. Lake Champlain is also not capable of holding a viable population (1 is just silly). Tie into this that pleasiosaurs breed on land (they are air breathing egg layers so they have to) we can with absolute assuredness rule this one out.

Now with regards to the idea of a sauropod living in a jungle. Lets try and think about size and space. It doesn't really work does it. It would be walking deforestation. It is simply not possible.

BS tales on the internet are meaningless. Now watch the BBC TV series Congo, they ask the locals about Mokele Mbembe ad ask if it is in the wildlife identification guide that they have with them. They pointed to the rhino.

Now watch the BBC TV series Congo, they ask the locals about Mokele Mbembe ad ask if it is in the wildlife identification guide that they have with them. They pointed to the rhino.

That's actually almost irrelevant to whether there's a dinosaur in the Congo. Different tribes associate the word Mokele-Mbembe with different creatures. Searching for a relict dinosaur under that name would be almost like having one of the members of those tribes come over here with a field guide and start asking Americans "Okay, you say you've seen 'Big Monster.' Could you point to the picture that looks like 'Big Monster,' please?"

Then, of course, the poor guy goes back to his native land with a fascinating tale. Somewhere lurking deep in the urban jungles of America are Bigfoot, Godzilla, and a small localized population of xenomorphs. :rofl:

That's actually almost irrelevant to whether there's a dinosaur in the Congo. Different tribes associate the word Mokele-Mbembe with different creatures. Searching for a relict dinosaur under that name would be almost like having one of the members of those tribes come over here with a field guide and start asking Americans "Okay, you say you've seen 'Big Monster.' Could you point to the picture that looks like 'Big Monster,' please?"

Then, of course, the poor guy goes back to his native land with a fascinating tale. Somewhere lurking deep in the urban jungles of America are Bigfoot, Godzilla, and a small localized population of xenomorphs. :rofl:

lol

Potentially but there are not actually that many people living in the Congo. It is not the most hospitable place on Earth. But again as far as rumours go, the internet is an absolute gold mine for BS ones that have no basis in reality at all. Rhino's are rare in general and very rare in the middle of a rainforest so it is not like these animals would be commonly seen by the people there. The Congo rhino population is considered a relic from when the area was a savannah (the rainforest is 25000 years old, bit young for remnant dinosaurs).

lol

Potentially but there are not actually that many people living in the Congo. It is not the most hospitable place on Earth. But again as far as rumours go, the internet is an absolute gold mine for BS ones that have no basis in reality at all. Rhino's are rare in general and very rare in the middle of a rainforest so it is not like these animals would be commonly seen by the people there. The Congo rhino population is considered a relic from when the area was a savannah (the rainforest is 25000 years old, bit young for remnant dinosaurs).

Well, I don't think it's likely there are dinosaurs in the Congo regardless of that. I was just pointing out the lunacy of asking someone what "Big Monster" was and expecting to get useful information. XD

Well, I don't think it's likely there are dinosaurs in the Congo regardless of that. I was just pointing out the lunacy of asking someone what "Big Monster" was and expecting to get useful information. XD

Well they asked a whole tribe. It is pretty much the most logic evaluation too, rather than the rather (extremely) unrealistic idea of a dinosaur.

Well they asked a whole tribe. It is pretty much the most logic evaluation too, rather than the rather (extremely) unrealistic idea of a dinosaur.

Yes, but they only asked one tribe. And therein lies the problem. I think that it's probably the most logical evaluation too, but their method was no more scientific than that of the creationists who go out and ask the population of only one different tribe.

Yes, but they only asked one tribe. And therein lies the problem. I think that it's probably the most logical evaluation too, but their method was no more scientific than that of the creationists who go out and ask the population of only one different tribe.

I never said it was scientific, it was just for an example.

I never said it was scientific, it was just for an example.

Lmfao. I sense we're going to go on clarifying what we mean forever, so I'm going to resist saying "I never said you did." ;)

sorry, but no. dino's are mostly reported in africa, which tribes now view as more of a rhino. not even close to biff

Dinosaurs are dead. Get over it.

the reason why dino's died out is simple.....chuck norris

the reason why dino's died out is simple.....chuck norris

Chuck Norris doesn't write books...

the words assemble themselves out of fear

Don't let Scientists fool you

<sarcasm>

Beware the evil Scientists. They will lie to you. You can always get the real stuff on the internet.

</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>

Beware the evil Scientists. They will lie to you. You can always get the real stuff on the internet.

</sarcasm>

uh. Alex, you CAN get the real stuff on the internet.

I can't believe anyone could believe that dinosaurs still exist. Then again, people do believe in the FOL, vampires, dragons (I know I shouldn't have said it), and things found on answersingenesis.org. Lack of evidence can never kill true belief!

uh. Alex, you CAN get the real stuff on the internet.

Yes but it is 99% crap. If you don't know how to search you continuously find that crap.