Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Congratulations America

Bogeyman

Substance abuse is mostly caused by a chemical imbalance, one of them being depression.

You think these people were kids at one time that thought "oh jeez, I think I want to be an alcoholic bum when I grow up" ?

Only I think they should be forced into rehab & therapy because they affect society negatively as a whole, when they don't get help.

of course some are lazy but most are ill.

Bull.

Therapy and free rehab are available.

Democrats have made it CLEAR that you can't force any one into therapy or to take their anti-psychotic medication.

In a perfect world, they would get their crap together.

But I am totally raising the BS flag on this "it's an illness" thing. That is an excuse. "Oh it's not my fault, it's an illness without a cure. Pass the crack pipe". BS.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hazel Eyed Lynx

• eqgumby

• The Silver Thong

• momentarylapseofreason

I won't disagree. It is jacked up. The biggest mistake is throwing more money at it, as well as quoting BS statistics designed to make people think we have people dieing in the streets and OTHER people stepping over them because they don't have insurance. I mean people LITERALLY think this goes on, and it does NOT. Hell, I have a step-mother and father that COME to the US from Canada for health care! Cardiac, triple-bye-pass care, not a hangnail!

No, I don't know what it's like, and I never let it happen. Do you know what it's like to work 2 full time jobs with a ruptured disk just so your family doesn't wind up in the streets? We all have our stories sister, and mine are as valid as yours.

The fact you think those statistics are BS is just crap. people DO die on the streets, people who CAN'T get insurance. Its a fact and I don't care if you want to believe the statistics or not. Want to know what happens if you get sick in jail? I know a homeless man from when I was a child who got throat cancer while he was in jail.. they cut a year off his sentence and let him go because they didn't want to pay the medical bills. SCREWED UP, HUH? It happens, get yer head out of the sand.

Yeah, I've worked 2 jobs with a broken ankle and no transportation. Riding the bus, and paying my own danged medical bills because I couldn't get health care. You know what your stories validate? That YOU didn't fall through the cracks, but people do EVERY SINGLE DAY and if you're too blind to see that, you're part of the problem, and I want nothing more to do with the problem.

So you advocate kidnapping or jailing them, which is what forcing someone into rehab would be even if they haven't commited a crime against someone. Illegal substance abuse is a crime but the jails are filled up with violent criminals as it is. You also can't force anyone into therapy any more than you can force them to take medication that has already been prescribed to them.

Edit to clarify.

All i know is that many more mentally ill are on the streets here. I think sleeping on the streets may be considered a danger to oneself in Europe. And yes, we have homeless people, just not as pronounced, and they don't seem as mentally ill as many here. There are heroin addicts in the larger cities and I heard there are many in Switzerland.

Maybe we don't see as much them (the mentally ill ) on the street because they get good mental health care ?

I really can't figure out why it's different.

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

The fact you think those statistics are BS is just crap. people DO die on the streets, people who CAN'T get insurance. Its a fact and I don't care if you want to believe the statistics or not. Want to know what happens if you get sick in jail? I know a homeless man from when I was a child who got throat cancer while he was in jail.. they cut a year off his sentence and let him go because they didn't want to pay the medical bills. SCREWED UP, HUH? It happens, get yer head out of the sand.

Yeah, I've worked 2 jobs with a broken ankle and no transportation. Riding the bus, and paying my own danged medical bills because I couldn't get health care. You know what your stories validate? That YOU didn't fall through the cracks, but people do EVERY SINGLE DAY and if you're too blind to see that, you're part of the problem, and I want nothing more to do with the problem.

New Report Shows How Many People Are Likely To Die In Washington Due To Lack Of Health Coverage

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/102095.php

Two working-age Ohioans die every day due to lack of health insurance

Email To A Friend

Printer Friendly

Comments

Add to Reddit Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us

Marc Kovac

March 19, 2008

By MARC KOVAC

Review Capital Bureau

COLUMBUS -- Two working-age Ohioans die every day due to a lack of health insurance, according to a study released by a national group Tuesday.

From 2000-06, upward of 5,100 Ohioans age 25-64 died because they did not have insurance to help pay for routine, preventive and other needed medical care, according to the Families USA data.

"The conclusions are sadly clear: A lack of health coverage is a matter of life and death for many people in the state of Ohio," Ron Pollack, the group's executive director, told reporters during a conference call.

Families USA is a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit group that advocates for affordable health care. Pollack joined Sen. Sherrod Brown and U.S. Rep. Betty Sutton, both Democrats representing Ohio, in announcing the study results and urging federal action to expand coverage for the needy.

Brown and Sutton both said uninsured Ohioans are more likely to delay seeking medical care (due to the out-of-pocket cost), to pay more because their care is not part of plans negotiated by insurance companies, and to be diagnosed with diseases at advanced stages because they did not have routine checkups earlier.

Families USA's study confirmed those trends, noting that about 750 people a year die in Ohio due to lack of health insurance. Pollack said nationally, twice as many people die due to lack of coverage as from homicide.

http://www.the-review.com/news/article/3488841

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Yes, President-Elect Obama hasn't done anything...yet. So, do you really think we were better off 4 yrs. ago with George Bush? Just wanting an opinion.

The country is in an economic slow down after a 49 months of straight economic growth. It's an economic cycle really, no economy grows forever.

Now you can interpret that however you want to.

The country is in an economic slow down after a 49 months of straight economic growth. It's an economic cycle really, no economy grows forever.

Now you can interpret that however you want to.

Why don't you just put this in your signature? You've cited it so often as if that is all you know. You have yet been able to respond to posts on how trickle-down is not an effective economic philosophy; especially, since it was the economic philosophy of Hoover (right before the great depression) and Bush (current economic crisis). We all know that capitalism entails a boom and bust cycle; but, when the fed and treasury prolong the booms for the benefit of those on top, the busts become that much worse. Those on top benefit greatly when they know a severe bust is coming too. This is akin to inside trading but it is inside info of the fed.

Edited by SoCrazes

Why don't you just put this in your signature? You've cited it so often as if that is all you know. You have yet been able to respond to posts on how trickle-down is not an effective economic philosophy; especially, since it was the economic philosophy of Hoover (right before the great depression) and Bush (current economic crisis). We all know that capitalism entails a boom and bust cycle; but, when the fed and treasury prolong the booms for the benefit of those on top, the busts become that much worse. Those on top benefit greatly when they know a severe bust is coming too. This is akin to inside trading but it is inside info of the fed.

See how twisted your thinking is? The Feds check growth to control inflation, not to benefit those on top, GEE!

You gotta stop reading this class envy blogs.

As far as health care goes, well I have never had a "bad" illness but I have been banged up and broken many times and I only had to wait a short time to get looked at. I hear about Canada's Universal health care sucking so bad but I have yet to see it. Yes in my city there have been screw ups and people have died, like a kid here went in with a bad appendix and they sent him home and died, that does happen unfortunatly.

last summer I dislocated my shoulder and ya I had to wait for about 3 hours but I was right as rain later. Guess what? my dislocated shoulder cost me nothing. Right now in A.B. I pay $ 120.00 a month for health care but my company pays for half and that covers everything. As of the new year we will not have to pay health care premiums at all. Complete health coverage and I can sleep at night knowing that if I wake up with cancer or a heart attack I'm cared for and no massive bill will be sent to me for being ill or hurt. I know this is a personal rant but universal health care does work. Plus we have medi clinic's on every damn street corner and I like that. I have no family doctor, very hard to get. I just go to the medi centre's or the hospital depending. I did have to fork out $ 460.00 a couple years ago for an ambulance ride, but as in the states we here to can buy insurance for such things, I had none errrr.

Get Blue Cross as soon as the premiums are gone. No $120.00 a month instead I will buy a $ 50.00 a month insurance policy through blue cross and wow $ 50.00 a month not bad and thats me covered up the wazoo. Universal health care is tricky and costly but for me it's the only right way to do health care.

Absolute BS. People do not die in the streets! That's a lie! Period! Show me ONE!! And I'm not talking about an un-insured crack-addict or a homeless guy who drinks Sterno! I already explained that there are people that are ill that should get care and don't, but this other crap about people dying in the street is FAKE! No one crawls to a hospital and is refused entry while they die outside the doors. No one!

That bit about jail is crap! I dealt with the prison system, and if they cut the guy loose, it was NOT because they didn't want to pay his medical bills. More lies.

My story validates that you should GET A JOB AND GET INSURANCE! Your story validates that YOU SHOULD GET A JOB AND GET INSURANCE! Sorry, your part time work at McDonalds does not count. You're going to have to get a real job.

There are also vast amounts of people that choose not to get insurance. I was one of them for twenty years and the gamble paid off because I was never sick. I spent maybe a couple of hundred dollars a year on healthcare.

That needs to be taken into account when looking at statistics.

Ok, what if you were sick, if you needed surgry or anything else like that. I would prosume that you would get health insurance then?

Edited by Ufo Believer

Ok, what if you were sick, if you needed surgry or anything else like that. I would prosume that you would get health insurance then?

You can't get insurance to pay for a pre-existing condition for at least six months. I would have just paid for it out of the money I saved not paying insurance premiums for twenty years.

Edited by Michelle

See how twisted your thinking is? The Feds check growth to control inflation, not to benefit those on top, GEE!

You gotta stop reading this class envy blogs.

They're trying to control inflation? Perhaps we should stop circulating money that doesn't exist.

Absolute BS. People do not die in the streets! That's a lie! Period! Show me ONE!! And I'm not talking about an un-insured crack-addict or a homeless guy who drinks Sterno! I already explained that there are people that are ill that should get care and don't, but this other crap about people dying in the street is FAKE! No one crawls to a hospital and is refused entry while they die outside the doors. No one!

That bit about jail is crap! I dealt with the prison system, and if they cut the guy loose, it was NOT because they didn't want to pay his medical bills. More lies.

My story validates that you should GET A JOB AND GET INSURANCE! Your story validates that YOU SHOULD GET A JOB AND GET INSURANCE! Sorry, your part time work at McDonalds does not count. You're going to have to get a real job.

Ummm we don't even have to worry about people dieing in the streets. It happens....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f

They're trying to control inflation? Perhaps we should stop circulating money that doesn't exist.

Good luck

The 7 billion $ bail out wasn't enough. Better call Parker Brothers ;)

Good luck

The 7 billion $ bail out wasn't enough. Better call Parker Brothers ;)

Ummm, you mean the 700 billion $ bail out?

Ummm, you mean the 700 billion $ bail out?

Opps thats what my new country cost.;) 700 billion now we're talkin lol plus 150 billion for doing such a good job. LOL

Absolute BS. People do not die in the streets! That's a lie! Period!

Maybe they don't in rural/suburban Florida, but I can assure you they do in urban areas. The homeless often freeze in winter. And the homeless are often given second-class care in ERs that leads to misdiagnoses or no treatment and they're streeted.

--Jaylemurph

Maybe they don't in rural/suburban Florida, but I can assure you they do in urban areas. The homeless often freeze in winter. And the homeless are often given second-class care in ERs that leads to misdiagnoses or no treatment and they're streeted.

--Jaylemurph

Happens all the time in Chicago, NYC, Bosten, even here in Seattle on those few winter days that get down right frozen. It happens in pretty much every major city that have freezing cold winters. *is agreeing with Jey here*

So Yes, Eggs.. it happens. It's not a lie.

Don't forget about L.A. There are still homeless Vetrens of Korea and 'Nam in L.A. that can't get healthcare at all.

Don't forget about L.A. There are still homeless Vetrens of Korea and 'Nam in L.A. that can't get healthcare at all.

I have several relatives that were there and they get excellent health care. In fact, I don't know one person that has ever been in the military that doesn't get excellent health care. Why don't they get it there?

I have several relatives that were there and they get excellent health care. In fact, I don't know one person that has ever been in the military that doesn't get excellent health care. Why don't they get it there?

My father in law is a vet and he gets minimum health care to cover seizure medicine, but can't get any dental and has to use free clinics a lot. Some people just can't get health care, some get it but not full health care and the lucky ones get really great health care. It varies from case to case, but the point is there really are people out there who need it and just can't get it.

Egg you can choose to be ignorant, that's fine. You can ignore the problem, that's fine too. But do us all a favor and do it in quiet. Your only making yourself look bad.

There are just some Vets that were at the hospital and then the hospital finds out that they don't have health insurance. Then their put into an ambulance and are taken to a street and are dumed there.

That's the part I don't understand...vets don't have to have health insurance. All of that is supposed to be covered for the rest of their lives and everyone that I've know has been.

That's the part I don't understand...vets don't have to have health insurance. All of that is supposed to be covered for the rest of their lives and everyone that I've know has been.

It is supposed to be. From the New York Times:

Tens of thousands of reservists and National Guard troops, whose jobs were supposedly protected while they were at war, were denied prompt re-employment upon their return or else lost seniority, pay and other benefits. Some 1.8 million veterans were unable to get care in veterans’ facilities in 2004 and lacked health insurance to pay for care elsewhere. Meanwhile, veterans seeking disability payments faced huge backlogs and inordinate delays in getting claims and appeals processed.

The biggest stain this year was the scandalous neglect of outpatients at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center and a sluggish response to the needs of wounded soldiers at veterans clinics and hospitals. Much of this neglect stemmed from the Bush administration’s failure to plan for a long war with mounting casualties and over-long tours of duty to compensate for a shortage of troops.