Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

52% is PATHETIC in this environment!

MasterPo

The WEATHER!!! The best in the country!

That's a matter of opinion. I live in Southern California and I miss the rain :( . I can count how many times a year it rains on my hand, and the summer is almost as bad as the arid regions of Arizona. Between 90-105 every day for 4 months.

Maybe I'm just tired of the desert....I should move up north.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AzTide

• eqgumby

• BlindMessiah

• AROCES

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This topic is stupid - no offense, Po. But it really is petty. Obama won, but rather than congratulate him and his supporters, you try and disparage him and throw something silly in our faces.

Ridiculous.

This topic is stupid - no offense, Po. But it really is petty. Obama won, but rather than congratulate him and his supporters, you try and disparage him and throw something silly in our faces.

Ridiculous.

I'm not crying about the out come unlike the Dems in 2000. It is what it is.

But if you look at what the media is saying (and the Obama supporters) it was a landslide. Heck, I was watching CNN last night and they were practically having orgasims over the election!!

2% over half is far from a landslide. 6% difference from McCain is not a mandate.

If the were such a ground swell of overwhelming support for him he would have gotten well into the 60's or beyond.

I'm not crying about the out come unlike the Dems in 2000. It is what it is.

Really? I suppose I should go see an optician :geek:

What you want me to list some friends?

Ye and it is not stable and hence the economy collapsed.

Collapsed you do realize the economy was a complete disaster when Regan took over from Carter.

And it can be argued the success of the 90's is related to Reagan’s economic actions in the 80's.

Damn I tried to go back in time and see if I could find a thread on Bush just after the 2000 election. It would be neat to compare the 2 threads. I can't go back as far as 2000 can any of the mod's pull a dino out and dig up a thread that old.

Damn I tried to go back in time and see if I could find a thread on Bush just after the 2000 election. It would be neat to compare the 2 threads. I can't go back as far as 2000 can any of the mod's pull a dino out and dig up a thread that old.

Didn't this site start in 01 after the elections were long over?

What you want me to list some friends?

Ye and it is not stable and hence the economy collapsed.

He he. Yeah, names and addresses!

Just that I have never heard it put that way. I was there, and pretty poor, but things were pretty good. I was young and just starting.

What about those who didn't? I know people who didn't. The end outcome was not a positive one. It was a lot of short termism that doesn't produce and end positive for the majority.

I'm not sure what the short-termism means. Reagan's plans were long term solutions, that would've continued to work had they been continued.

As to people who don't prosper, you realize that there will always be those who do not, right?

You realize that people have choices in their lives, and that many choose to be in stasis, choose not to avail themselves of opportunity, and choose to live off others, no matter what the economic situation is.

People don't do well for various reasons...some may simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and have to move on. The possibilities are endless.

But the outcome of the Reagan years was positive, predictable, and illustrative. If anyone wasn't doing better in 1987 than they were in 1980, I cannot imagine why. All marginal rates were dropped, the top ones by 42%. Inflation dropped from double digits into the 3-4% range, interest rates dropped by 75% in some cases, and people had more of their money in their pockets.

Our defensive capability was increased, and our national security and position were solidified. The 444 day hostage crisis that was created by Carter's appeasement and lack of preparation ended...on Reagan's inauguration day, for reasons that were well known to Iran, and feared by them...

And, the rich got richer.

And that is bad how?

Think about it...

The rich, who work their asses off to get that way, also provide opportunity to people through their efforts. Not many people have ever gotten a job from someone who wasn't rich. Free enterprise promotes individual freedom, and that is the cornerstone of American success. If the rich succeed, we all succeed.

I'm not sure what the short-termism means. Reagan's plans were long term solutions, that would've continued to work had they been continued.

As to people who don't prosper, you realize that there will always be those who do not, right?

You realize that people have choices in their lives, and that many choose to be in stasis, choose not to avail themselves of opportunity, and choose to live off others, no matter what the economic situation is.

People don't do well for various reasons...some may simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and have to move on. The possibilities are endless.

But the outcome of the Reagan years was positive, predictable, and illustrative. If anyone wasn't doing better in 1987 than they were in 1980, I cannot imagine why. All marginal rates were dropped, the top ones by 42%. Inflation dropped from double digits into the 3-4% range, interest rates dropped by 75% in some cases, and people had more of their money in their pockets.

Our defensive capability was increased, and our national security and position were solidified. The 444 day hostage crisis that was created by Carter's appeasement and lack of preparation ended...on Reagan's inauguration day, for reasons that were well known to Iran, and feared by them...

And, the rich got richer.

And that is bad how?

Think about it...

The rich, who work their asses off to get that way, also provide opportunity to people through their efforts. Not many people have ever gotten a job from someone who wasn't rich. Free enterprise promotes individual freedom, and that is the cornerstone of American success. If the rich succeed, we all succeed.

He also gave the military a pay raise...got ME out of poverty.

Giving the military a pay raise is a HUGE boost to the economy. Its like 8 percent or better of the population getting a raise! I know it helped me, and gave thousands of contractors jobs too!

Giving the military a pay raise is a HUGE boost to the economy. Its like 8 percent or better of the population getting a raise! I know it helped me, and gave thousands of contractors jobs too!

I'd never thought of that point. Excellent response...

I like that when people complain about having the US Military bases around their homes and towns. Then when the base is gone and businesses start closing down and home values fall and such they realize it wasn't really all that bad.

I like that when people complain about having the US Military bases around their homes and towns. Then when the base is gone and businesses start closing down and home values fall and such they realize it wasn't really all that bad.

An excellent example of the government stimulating the economy as well. :)

One of those things that was very important, and needs to be done again.

Our military deserves to be paid more....more. What those people do deserves alot more.

You get rid of pork, you cut government programs that don't help America, and increase military and defense spending---which includes compensating our service people adequately---you boost the economy big time.

I don't live anywhere close to a military base and my community is doing just fine. To look at the military to carry a town is backwards let alone an economy. What is bad is that some feel the military is a stable resouce that has no end.

I don't live anywhere close to a military base and my community is doing just fine. To look at the military to carry a town is backwards let alone an economy. What is bad is that some feel the military is a stable resouce that has no end.

Usually a basetown develops its economy around the existing military base, as personnel spend their money on goods and services in the local area. Nothing is backward about that. If the base, and all its personnel, suddenly disappear, all the businesses that catered to it will probably go under. Thus, a town's economy usually suffers when a base closes. This is especially true if the town is relatively small.

Remind me again - what were the Bush majorities?

I'm not sure it's such a pathetic majority...

No Democrat's actually won a higher percentage of the vote since Lyndon Johnson took 61% in 1964...and of course, that was pretty much a no-brainer at the time, given what had happened a year earlier.

It's about average this year.

Republicans in the last 10 elections where they won have averaged 56% of the popular vote; democrats, 53% in the last 10 elections where they've won.

In the 56 presidential elections which have been held in our nation's history, it is interesting to note that 30% of the winners never won an absolute majority of the popular vote, and, three of the losers in those 56 elections received a plurality of the popular vote, and; one loser actually received an absolute majority of the popular vote (Samuel J. Tilden, Democrat from NY, lost to Ruthrford B. Hayes in 1876, while winning a 51 to 48% majority of the popular vote..which at the time constituted about 250,000 votes).

I don't think Obama's vote percentage was anything special at all...

I rather think Reagan's 51-41 margin in 1980 , and his 59-41 margin in 1984 were rather distinctive, as they accounted for 23 million votes in his favor between the two elections.

We'll likely be seeing something like that again in 2012...if the republicans return to their roots, and Obama does what he has stated he intends to do...

You might be surprised at how much the defense industry contributes to your economy, depending on where you live. And of course it's not a must-have, but for many towns it's a huge part of the economy. HUGE. Maybe it works otherwise in Canada. And members of the military and their families are a large part of the community as well, like it or not.

It's not about looking to make the mil carry a town, it's about recognizing the reality of the impact they have on an economy.

An excellent example of the government stimulating the economy as well. :)

Haha, indeed. Or perhaps the military doesn't count.