Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious death of Sigmund Adamski.

karl 12

http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article578.html

On the afternoon of Wednesday, 11th June his body was found on a coal tip at Todmorden. There were no footmarks to indicate that anyone had climbed the 12 ft high heap of coal.

Two officers from the Todmorden Force, PC Alan Godfrey and a colleague, arrived at the scene at 4:10 pm. On seeing the burns, they immediately suspected a crime, and the police investigation began. His wallet, watch and shirt were missing and the rest of his clothing was intact.

His body was clean as if he has stepped from a shower. The most unusual aspect of the body's appearance were irregular marks on the back of his head, neck, and shoulders where the skin had been burnt off. The precise cause of the burns – possibly some sort of corrosive agent – was never identified.

The burns were estimated to have been inflicted 2 days before his death. There were traces of greasy substances on the burns, possibly an ointment which had been used to treat the wound. Analysis failed to identify the ointment. He had one day's growth of beard, and he had eaten well, although forensic examination showed that he had not eaten on the day the body was found.

His body had been exposed to the pouring rain for at least a day. Medical examination concluded that death occurred somewhere between 11:15 am and 1:15 pm that day, and the body had been on the coaltip beside the busy railway line for perhaps 3 or 4 hours. His widow believed that he had been kidnapped and tortured. The inquest returned a verdict of death caused by heart failure due to a shock or fright.

The incident was linked to UFOs and orange fireballs which had been seen in the area during the week that Adamski disappeared

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/yorkslincs/...i_mystery.shtml

Zigmund’s body was lying on top of a pile of coal. He was wearing a suit but his shirt, watch and wallet were missing.

On the back of his head, neck and shoulders were mysterious burns which attracted lots of attention.

James Turnbull, the coroner who dealt with Zigmund’s death, says it’s the biggest mystery of his career.

The coroner was baffled because although Zigmund had been missing for five days, he only had one day’s growth of beard.

He says, "The question of where he was before he died and what led to his death just could not be answered."

James also said a strange ointment that appeared to have been used on Zigmund’s burns could not be identified by forensic scientists.

Exhaustive checks failed to reveal any record of Zigmund having been treated at any hospital during his missing five days.

It was at this point that questions began occurring, regarding the origin of this inexplicable ointment and who applied it to Zigmund.

In the past 20 years there has been many claimed sightings in the Pennine hills around Todmorden. It’s regarded as the Britain’s UFO hotspot. But serious UFO watchers dismiss most of these Pennine sighting as just lights in the sky.

Interestingly,one of the two policeman who discovered the body witnessed a UFO five months later in Todmorden-it was also witnessed by five other (separately located) policemen and P.C. Alan Godfrey was made to re-sign the offical secrets act with an added statement telling him not to talk about the Adamski case or his own sighting ever again.

Policeman Alan Godfrey´s sighting:

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case722.htm

In November and December 1980, the eastern side of Britain was experiencing a major UFO sighting wave. There were chases of UFOs by police cars near the coast, a UFO that overflew an oil rig in the North Sea, and the wave culminated in the famous events on the East Anglian coast at Rendlesham Forest. Just a month before these landings beside those NATO air bases, one of the most impressive alien abduction cases took place in the small Penninemill town of Todmorden, West Yorkshire, right in the centre of Britain's most active window area known locally as "UFO Alley".

Police Constable Alan Godfrey was on patrol on the night of 28 November 1980. Just before dawn he drove along Burnley Road on the edge of Todmorden looking for some cows that had been reported missing. They were only found after sun-up, mysteriously relocated in a rain-soaked field without hoofmarks to indicate their passage.

Giving up his nocturnal hunt, Godfrey was about to go back to base to sign off duty when he saw a large mass a few hundred yards ahead. At first, he thought it was a bus coming towards him that took workers to their jobs in town and that he knew passed about 5:00 a.m. But as he approached, he realized that it was something very strange. It was a fuzzy oval that rotated at such speed and hovered so low over the otherwise deserted highway that it was causing the bushes by the side to shake. The police officer stopped, propped onto his windscreen a pad that was in the patrol car to make sketches of any road accidents, and drew the UFO. Then there was a burst of light, and the next thing he knew he was driving his car again, further along Burnley Road, with no sign of the UFO.

Interesting case, and a while back some discussion on it was attempted on Hazzard's thread (all of 3 posts...), but BUFORA has debunked the alien/UFO side of the story-

http://www.bufora.org.uk/Articles/Zigmund%20Adamski.pdf

It would appear that this case was sensationalised after it was revealed that one of the PCs sent to the scene, Alan Godfrey had a UFO experience of his own. As you've already noted, his UFO experience occured a few months after Adamski's body was found.*

edit:relevence

_____: *A little more on Godfry

http://www.ufocasebook.com/2008/alangodfreycase.html

Edited by Evangium

Thats an interesting story, Makes me wonder how the cattle got to where they were with no eveidence of hoof prints entering the field they were in,

Thanks for the the good read,

Regards;

TFF

Interesting case, and a while back some discussion on it was attempted on Hazzard's thread (all of 3 posts...), but BUFORA has debunked the alien/UFO side of the story-

It would appear that this case was sensationalised after it was revealed that one of the PCs sent to the scene, Alan Godfrey had a UFO experience of his own. As you've already noted, his UFO experience occured a few months after Adamski's body was found.

So how was the case debunked, i cant see where it was explained gow the body with the markings ended up on the coal heap. was it a mafia thing what.

It would appear that this case was sensationalised after it was revealed that one of the PCs sent to the scene, Alan Godfrey had a UFO experience of his own. As you've already noted, his UFO experience occured a few months after Adamski's body was found.*

_____: *A little more on Godfry

http://www.ufocasebook.com/2008/alangodfreycase.html

Sorry to say but that story (Iread it all) is not a debunking of anything, All that is is one persons perspective which proves nothing other than the case remains open and unexplained,

Thats the way I see it,

Regards;

TFF

So how was the case debunked, i cant see where it was explained gow the body with the markings ended up on the coal heap. was it a mafia thing what.

Debunked as in "not killed by aliens".

pages 4-6 from my bufora.org.uk link puts foward that inquiries had revealed that Mr. Adamski had "fallen out" with a male family member days before his god-daughter's wedding. It is believed that this member locked Mr Adamski in a garden shed for the number of missing days. That Mr Adamski was the victim of a family feud. His widow stated that she believed he had been kidnapped, as opposed to missing.

No further comment on the acid (because they were unable to gain access to the forensic records due the case still being open), other than the UFO magazine correspondent's suggestion that he had come into contact with some battery acid whilst escaping from the shed. The burn marks, again another suggestion, this time from a police officer, that Mr Adamski had been recieving moxi-bustion treatment.

Alan Godfrey does not believe aliens were involved.

Conclusion - Possible foul play. Offender still at large. Is very human and quite likely known to the family.

So ET debunked.

Debunked as in "not killed by aliens".

pages 4-6 from my bufora.org.uk link puts foward that inquiries had revealed that Mr. Adamski had "fallen out" with a male family member days before his god-daughter's wedding. It is believed that this member locked Mr Adamski in a garden shed for the number of missing days. That Mr Adamski was the victim of a family feud. His widow stated that she believed he had been kidnapped, as opposed to missing.

No further comment on the acid (because they were unable to gain access to the forensic records due the case still being open), other than the UFO magazine correspondent's suggestion that he had come into contact with some battery acid whilst escaping from the shed. The burn marks, again another suggestion, this time from a police officer, that Mr Adamski had been recieving moxi-bustion treatment.

Conclusion - Possible foul play. Offender still at large. Is very human and quite likely known to the family.

So ET debunked.

I understand the theory that the story concludes but then its only opinion and not eveidence of being debunked, I bolded the statement above saying

it is believed and that is a flag that its only speculation, This debunking story holds no water so to speak and is only speculation, I conclude its still a mystery,,

Regards;

TFF

Sorry to say but that story (Iread it all) is not a debunking of anything, All that is is one persons perspective which proves nothing other than the case remains open and unexplained,

Thats the way I see it,

Regards;

TFF

That's essentially what I say about every UFO case, and nobody believes me :lol:

Personally, I'd say that in the Adamski case, the BUFORA explanation is more likely, since one of the researchers/investigators, John Hanson, has almost 30 years policing experience (14 in Criminal Investigation). So, whilst you can truthfully say it's his opinion, it is quite likely that he has investigated the case a little more thoroughly than the average person would.

So I stand behind my assertion that the ET component of the mystery has been debunked

edit: same for your last, also

Edited by Evangium

I understand the theory that the story concludes but then its only opinion and not eveidence of being debunked, I bolded the statement above saying

it is believed and that is a flag that its only speculation, This debunking story holds no water so to speak and is only speculation, I conclude its still a mystery,,

Regards;

TFF

It's certainly a mystery TFF. I have a feeling however that if it hadn't had been on Alan Godfreys watch then it would have been resigned to category of a sad death of an earthly origin much quicker.

Imo it's one of those cases where there were a few interesting coincidences but they're nothing more then that, out there somewhere is someone who's got away with murder, or at least serious foul play in this case.

It's certainly a mystery TFF. I have a feeling however that if it hadn't had been on Alan Godfreys watch then it would have been resigned to category of a sad death of an earthly origin much quicker.

Imo it's one of those cases where there were a few interesting coincidences but they're nothing more then that, out there somewhere is someone who's got away with murder, or at least serious foul play in this case.

Couldnt agree more, Weather its murder or otherwise it remains an open case, Oh and by the way I havent mentioned ufo as being involved, All im saying its not been debunked,

Regards;

TFF

Spot on.

I must admit, when I first heard about the case and the Godfrey connection, I thought there might be something more to it. But following the leads (provided by google), led me to believe that its nothing more than an unrelated coincidence, and that Mr Adamski's real killer (or at least a person of interest who can shed some light on his final days) is still out there.

And it would be a great shame to think that UFOlogy has provided him with an alibi...

edit:typo

Edited by Evangium

That's essentially what I say about every UFO case, and nobody believes me :lol:

Personally, I'd say that in the Adamski case, the BUFORA explanation is more likely, since one of the researchers/investigators, John Hanson, has almost 30 years policing experience (14 in Criminal Investigation). So, whilst you can truthfully say it's his opinion, it is quite likely that he has investigated the case a little more thoroughly than the average person would.

So I stand behind my assertion that the ET component of the mystery has been debunked

edit: same for your last, also

LMBO;

It sure is a wonderful world isnt it? It works both ways, Yaysayers of ufos can not provide evbidence but then again a murder or otherwise case can not be debunked, :lol:

I love it,

Regards;

TFF

Couldnt agree more, Weather its murder or otherwise it remains an open case, Oh and by the way I havent mentioned ufo as being involved, All im saying its not been debunked,

Regards;

TFF

:tu:

Spot on.

I must admit, when I first heard about the case and the Godfrey connection, I thought there might be something more to it. But following the leads (provided by google), led me to believe that its nothing more than an unrelated coincidence, and that Mr Adamski's real killer (or at least a person of interest who can shed some light on his final days) is still out there.

And it would be a great shame to think that UFOlogy has provided him with an alibi...

edit:typo

I'm pretty sure the police never took the ufo angle seriously. Alan Godfrey himself was an excellent officer, he played a key role in bringing to justice 'the black panther' (Donald Neilson). I wouldn't think the police were ever side-tracked in this case, the ufology angle took on a life of it's own seperate from a criminal investigation.

LMBO;

It sure is a wonderful world isnt it? It works both ways, Yaysayers of ufos can not provide evbidence but then again a murder or otherwise case can not be debunked, :lol:

I love it,

Regards;

TFF

Yes it is amusing (and this is why Hazzard's thread could go on indefinitely). But I am a little curious as to how you arrive at the conclusion the ET side of case is not debunked?

Especially since one of the men who authored the report is quite versed in the art of investigation?

Is this another case of former or current Police Officers and Military are only credible, reliable sources of authority when they say that there is evidence to suggest ET?

The way I see it is, if the course of enquiry strongly suggests (through proper investigative techniques) that a more terrestrial/human explanation exists, then 'aliens' has been debunked.

Please explain.

:hmm:

I'm pretty sure the police never took the ufo angle seriously. Alan Godfrey himself was an excellent officer, he played a key role in bringing to justice 'the black panther' (Donald Neilson). I wouldn't think the police were ever side-tracked in this case, the ufology angle took on a life of it's own seperate from a criminal investigation.

Of course they weren't. From the reports I've read (aliens or otherwise) the only thing that impeded them was technological limitations of the time.

By alibi, I'm refering to this day and age, where the ufology angle has evolved to disregard the fact that (for all intents and purposes) this case is still open, and someone needs to come forward.

After all "aliens did it" is a rather bad taste remark for a case where a family still hasn't had the opportunity to see civil justice done.

Of course they weren't. From the reports I've read (aliens or otherwise) the only thing that impeded them was technological limitations of the time.

By alibi, I'm refering to this day and age, where the ufology angle has evolved to disregard the fact that (for all intents and purposes) this case is still open, and someone needs to come forward.

After all "aliens did it" is a rather bad taste remark for a case where a family still hasn't had the opportunity to see civil justice done.

Yep, I can't argue with that.

Yes it is amusing (and this is why Hazzard's thread could go on indefinitely). But I am a little curious as to how you arrive at the conclusion the ET side of case is not debunked?

Especially since one of the men who authored the report is quite versed in the art of investigation?

Is this another case of former or current Police Officers and Military are only credible, reliable sources of authority when they say that there is evidence to suggest ET?

The way I see it is, if the course of enquiry strongly suggests (through proper investigative techniques) that a more terrestrial/human explanation exists, then 'aliens' has been debunked.

Please explain.

:hmm:

First i would like to say that Hazzards thread is a wonderful ongoing argument and I dont believe Hazzard is ruling ufo visitation out as a whole but he want conclusive evidence in which Sky has provided properly a thousand times and i just love it,

Ok now about your inquiry, First off i have not mentioned ufos being a part of the investigation and I dont really believe it was anything ET, All im saying is this debunking story holds no water, Let me rethink a min. ummm Ok didnt this article say that the investigation was in 2005?

This is 25 years later and a cold case so all they can do is speculate on what happened, The wifes stament says she BELIEVES that he was being targeted as a victim of foul play but that statement in itself is only speculation or she would have proven it was foul play, Anyways you see my point,

Regards;

TFF

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

According to his interview with paranormal investigator Jane Goldman (wife of Jonathon Ross) ,he never stated such a thing and still deems the incident a complete mystery-also in regard to his sighting several months later -it is telling that the same object was also witnessed by five more separately located policemen.

According to Detective Constable Gary Heseltine from PRUFOS (the Police reporting UFO sighting database) PC Godfrey was made to re-sign the Official Secrets Act and on it was also an instruction never to mention either of the two cases again-it seems the UK Government did not want any corellation made between the two incidents (although in fact they themselves made the connection by instructions of non disclosure).

http://www.prufospolicedatabase.co.uk/index.html

Cheers Karl

Edited by karl 12

Exactly; :tu:

First i would like to say that Hazzards thread is a wonderful ongoing argument and I dont believe Hazzard is ruling ufo visitation out as a whole but he want conclusive evidence in which Sky has provided properly a thousand times and i just love it,

Ok now about your inquiry, First off i have not mentioned ufos being a part of the investigation and I dont really believe it was anything ET, All im saying is this debunking story holds no water, Let me rethink a min. ummm Ok didnt this article say that the investigation was in 2005?

This is 25 years later and a cold case so all they can do is speculate on what happened, The wifes stament says she BELIEVES that he was being targeted as a victim of foul play but that statement in itself is only speculation or she would have proven it was foul play, Anyways you see my point,

Regards;

TFF

Fair call :)

But other lines of inquiry led to sources that the wife's statement lend credibilty to...

Though, I do see your point. Agree to disagree? :)

And noting the string of coincidences in this case, it's ironic that the BUFORA investigation cannot come to any solid conclusion on aspects of the case, since they haven't been deemed appropriately interested parties who can view certain, official records..

And yes, Hazzard's thread is a wonderful (if not addictive) thing. In the time I've been following it, I don't think we've had more than 3-4 people actually say there's no such thing as aliens or UFOs, just varying degrees of definitions to what is 'proof'...

Edited by Evangium

Thanks for the reply.

According to his interview with paranormal investigator Jane Goldman (wife of Jonathon Ross) ,he never stated such a thing and still deems the incident a complete mystery-also in regard to his sighting several months later -it is telling that the same object was also witnessed by five more separately located policemen.

According to Detective Constable Gary Heseltine from PRUFOS (the Police reporting UFO sighting database) PC Godfrey was made to re-sign the Official Secrets Act and on it was also an instruction never to mention either of the two cases again-it seems the UK Government did not want any corellation made between the two incidents (although in fact they themselves made the connection by instructions of non disclosure).

http://www.prufospolicedatabase.co.uk/index.html

Cheers Karl

You're welcome Karl,

Was the interview before or after the BUFORA report?

From what I have read, the Adamski case took on the UFO aspect almost one year after Godfrey's sighting

On 27 September 1981 the paper carried a front page banner headline, one of the few ever afforded a UFO story by theBritish press "Amazing UFO death riddle". Among the more significant errors in the article were statements to the effectthat PC Godfrey had his encounter on the same day that Adamski's body was found, and that the body was found on thesame day. Adamski had disappeared. The description of the circumstances surrounding the discovery of the body wasfair enough, but the whole tone of the article was clearly designed to lead the reader to conclude that Adamski had beenkilled by aliens.In fact, the article was a masterpiece of provocative journalism. It made no attempt to suggest any down-to-earthexplanations for the death and ended by stating that 'ufologists' regarded Adamski's disappearance as a close encounterof the third kind - in other words, that he had met , and presumably been abducted by aliens. MUFORA considered this aludicrous and quite unjustified assumption: the group had spent several months researching the case and had found nota shred of evidence to support such a theory.The 'Sunday Mirror' had, in fact, contacted MUFORA a couple of days before the article went to press, wanting quotes.The group, not knowing the nature of the piece, and being refused any information about the newspaper's other sourceson the grounds of 'ethics' was reluctant to be associated with the article, and refused to make any comment.The international UFO GROUP CONTACT, having been alerted to the Adamski/Godfrey story by FSR, claimed therewas 'world-wide interest' in the case and that it was 'the biggest UFO story for years'. But claims are difficult to reconcilewith the facts. None of the MUFORA team, or Alan Godfrey or Lottie Adamski, had noticed any evidence of the allegedglobal concern. But then it was discovered that one of the so-called local UFO 'experts' who had leaked the story to thepress in the first place was a CONTACT representative.Not surprisingly the West Yorkshire police were unhappy with the impression the media gave that they were seriouslytreating the Adamski death as 'murder by alien or aliens unknown'. Unfortunately the police blamed MUFORA for theslur, and the relationship between the research group and the police, 'so necessary for the Godfrey investigations,especially' - deteriorated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 7

But was there any justification for the belief that UFOs were involved in Zigmund Jan Adamski's death?THE PENNINE MYSTERYSome of the data are undeniably provocative: the unfortunate man's surname, Alan Godfrey's nearby close encounter,the unexplained burn on Adamski's body was left or found, and Adamski's mysterious five-day disappearance. But all ofthis is merely circumstantial, and certainly offers no support of any UFO connection.But MUFORA had been, for some time, researching it book "The Pennine Mystery" (1983) and various interesting factswere emerging, such as an unusually high number of UFO sightings reported in the area and bright, rapidly manoeuvringlights that were so common that Pennine residents referred to them as 'mystery helicopters'. These lights seemed tododge power lines and had outrun police cars that had chased them over the hills at least once. And interestingly, aspate of such sightings allegedly took place in and around Todmorden between 6 June and 11 June 1980 - the very time Adamski was missing. Clearly this offers no overt links between UFOs and Adamski's death, but it may make suchspeculations a little more respectable.But what reasonable alternatives are there? Perhaps Adamski chose to 'lose' himself, or perhaps he lost his memory andwandered around aimlessly for a few days, finally dying of a heart attack on the Todmorden coaltip. But there wasnothing in his background, emotionally or psychologically, to account for either his running away or an attack of amnesia,and the post mortem revealed no signs of any brain damage that might have precipitated loss of memory. And whatcaused his curious burn?MUFORA members are divided in their opinions about the existence and nature of UFOs; the most any of them will sayis that their existence is likely - given the evidence - but not proven. Unidentified atmospheric phenomena (UAPS) are adifferent matter, however. There is a good deal of scientific evidence that indicates the existence of a natural energyemission in the atmosphere. Perhaps it is concentrated in certain areas - the Pennine range being one of them.Perhaps the unfortunate Adamski came into contact with UAP, whose energy burnt the back of his head and neck andinduced severe shock and disorientation. Finding himself at Todmorden he may have climbed the coaltip to get betterview of his surroundings, and the exertion may have brought on the heart attack.As with all the other theories connected with this case, there are problems. For example, Dr Edwards, who carried outthe post mortem, believes the burn was inflicted a full three days after Adamski's disappearance. And why did no onenotice an obviously disorientated person wandering around the same relatively small area for five days?The mystery remains as provocative as ever - but perhaps some readers already knows the answer....07 February 2006, Author: Jenny Randles - Utopiated - HTML Link

Fair call :)

But other lines of inquiry led to sources that the wife's statement lend credibilty to...

Though, I do see your point. Agree to disagree? :)

And noting the string of coincidences in this case, it's ironic that the BUFORA investigation cannot come to any solid conclusion on aspects of the case, since they haven't been deemed appropriately interested parties who can view certain, official records..

And yes, Hazzard's thread is a wonderful (if not addictive) thing. In the time I've been following it, I don't think we've had more than 3-4 people actually say there's no such thing as aliens or UFOs, just varying degrees of definitions to what is 'proof'...

I see your point about these folks doing the cold case ivestigation and had no interest in the subject when it was happening and looking at it from the outside in but still i argue its still only speculation, Sure there may have been leads that came about because of the wifes statement but then again they made no arrests meaning no conclusive evidence,

Just My unofficial opnion, :P

Regards;

TFF

You're welcome Karl,

Was the interview before or after the BUFORA report?

From what I have read, the Adamski case took on the UFO aspect almost one year after Godfrey's sighting

Hi Evangium,the interview was aired in 2004 and featured on this episode (you can join the site for free and view it):

http://www.tv.com/jane-goldman-investigate...76/summary.html

It features Detective Constable Gary Heseltine discussing how the UK government specifically instructed PC Alan Godfrey never to mention either the Adamski case or his own ´on duty ´UFO sighting ever again.

It also covers the truly bizarre Guarapiranga human mutilation case from Brazil which still remains unexplained:

Warning-contains some quite gory details:

http://www.think-aboutit.com/mutilations/H...Mutilations.htm

Cheers Karl

Oh, this was from 1981. I was wondering why I hadn't heard of it on the news.

So was the UFO angle on this derived entirely from the fact that his name was Adamski?

:-/

Not really feeling the 'alien angle...'