Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Imagine This

coberst

Imagine This

Imagine that you and a thousand other people lived deep in the jungle of Africa. Imagine further that every one of you had been born colorblind and none had any idea what color was. Imagine further that you were an exercise nut and discovered, quite by accident, that if you performed a certain sequence of exercises you developed color perception.

What would you do?

If you tried to tell the others what would they do? Would you be able to convince any one of them to follow your example? How would you explain to them what you had accomplished? Would they eventually kill you like the Athenians did Socrates?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coberst

• The One Who Is

• Raivrso

• carrot sprite

Imagine This

Imagine that you and a thousand other people lived deep in the jungle of Africa. Imagine further that every one of you had been born colorblind and none had any idea what color was. Imagine further that you were an exercise nut and discovered, quite by accident, that if you performed a certain sequence of exercises you developed color perception.

What would you do?

If you tried to tell the others what would they do? Would you be able to convince any one of them to follow your example? How would you explain to them what you had accomplished? Would they eventually kill you like the Athenians did Socrates?

The thing is, If you imagined it. How would you know you were developing color perception if you did not know what color was?

Telling others, they would most likely be skeptical, a few would try it most likely out of curiousity.

Don't explain to them results that they could never conceive. Instead show them how to get results of something they cannot yet conceive. Once they have accomplished the task they may have an entirely different kind of enlightenment than you. You cannot ever purely see through another's eyes, so it is impossible to give them a pure vision of what you see. After they have completed the task and they are on a somewhat similar plane as you, the student may become the teacher. You can learn from what each other has found. Acknowledging the differences and similarities as equal.

In the first place of being able to get them to do the exercise, there must be some force of trust involved.

As history has shown us, if someone is too arrogant with their discoveries they may suffer a fate like Socrates or Jesus. Even arrogance aside, knowledge is power, and to those who feel the power is rightly theirs, they may try and strip you of yours.

In and out groups also play a factor, AKA the witch hunts.

Although history has also shown us, that if the ideas are passed onto others through trust, the ideas can survive past the body of the one who first discovered it. It may be repressed for sometime, but it almost seems as if the ideas can gain a will of their own and flower in their own time.

Many of the most influential writers and artists did not get rich from their works. It was after their death, maybe even decades, or more, that the ideas were appreciated.

carrot

Sounds interesting. I have been trying for 5 years to get people to learn something about CT (Critical Thinking), with little success. Could you give me some advice as to how I might use these Internet forums to accomplish such a task.

If any of us has something worth sharing, we first need to demonstrate its value in terms that others can relate to.

Those that have eyes to see or ears to hear will identify with your insights. This process is resonating with the energy you are expressing.

No matter how good a concept may be that you wish to share, it is unwise to find fault with any who do not wish to see or hear what you wish to express. That energy is counter productive to your desires. Respect can be felt much more than you suspect. Each being has their path to expanding all that they wish to offer to the community. Being in joy for their particular resonation process will honor their choices and encourage them to evaluate what you wish to contribute to the community. Each person chooses who they allow to influence their thinking.

John

Each person chooses who they allow to influence their thinking.

John

Therein lay the rub. CT is about the art and science of good judgment. We have a boot strap problem here. It appears to me that our educational system has taught us to be turtles, which withdraw into our shell at the sight of anything new.

I think that we tend to display two types of turtle responses to our encounter with new ideas. The terrapin withdraws quickly into its shell and the snapping turtle hisses, spits, and snaps when such an encounter happens.

Therein lay the rub. CT is about the art and science of good judgment. We have a boot strap problem here. It appears to me that our educational system has taught us to be turtles, which withdraw into our shell at the sight of anything new.

I think that we tend to display two types of turtle responses to our encounter with new ideas. The terrapin withdraws quickly into its shell and the snapping turtle hisses, spits, and snaps when such an encounter happens.

I respond to new ideas with "gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme." What type of turtle is this?

One I seldom find.

:lol: