Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Hunters tricks?

kalight

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I hope my posting is ok. I'm a big fan of Ghost Hunters from the beginning. The Halloween special has me wondering.. If you look at a waveform image of the audible voice phenomenon in the start of the show "you shouldn't be here", it is spoken twice and both are identical (like a recording). Later in the show when Grant's collar is tugged, did anyone else notice that all three times his right hand was in his pocket. He could have pulled a string that ran up his jacket and was attached to his collar. I hope I'm wrong, because I love this show and, well I'd rather sit through a boring non event show that think that I was being fooled. I hope I posted this in the correct forum, like I said, I'm a newbe and yes, I have seen a ghost that scared the crap out of me. :blink::no::cry:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Korbus

• theGhost_and_theDarkness

• Amnesiac

I love Ghost Hunters and watch it every week.

Now that I think about it, I do remember his hand being in his pocket when it happened, i'm not sure if it was every time though. His collar wasn't being pulled down though, it was pulled out so I don't know if they could've faked it.

The voice was weird. It did sound like someone was just playing a recording. I think it was too loud and clear to be real. :unsure:

I hope it wasn't faked.

Hi I am new here!

I watched that episode, and while I didn't notice 1 specific thing something about it did same kind of fake. Right? I will rewatch.

I said the exact same thing to my mom about the voice when she was watching. I mean it was totally identical. I found it strange.

Doesn't the preview for tonight's Ghost Hunters say, "Tonight, all of TAPS secrets are revealed" ?

Oh, and welcome to the forums kalight and zorbe. :st

Edited by John07

I thought the exact same thing!! In fact, I said something as soon as I heard it. Both voices are identical. I didn't really pay attention to the collar tug though.

My opinion is that. . .they are under contract, they have to do what they are told. . .even if they don't like it. So, if there are any shenanigans, I imagine they don't extend outside the show (but who knows? They have always seemed extremely professional, though, so I doubt it.) I still have great respect for them when they aren't filming. . .but on TV its a show. JUST a show. Its for entertainment, and all shows like that ought to have disclaimers at the bottom. They are going to be expected to "find" something every show. I believe they started it with their hearts in the right places. . .if you notice, there were alot more debunkings and alot fewer "hauntings" in the earlier shows.

I believe they continue it because they get compensation. . .and don't be fooled, of course they do. Even if they don't get it from Sci Fi (Or Pilgrim, which I'm pretty sure they get something from them), they get it from receiving more donations due to increased popularity. I'm sure the places that are on there that get a hefty amount of tourism after being labeled "haunted" give really good donations. More donations means they can buy better equipment. Increased popularity also brings other things. If they, which I believe they do, have a genuine interest in ghost hunting, more doors are being opened for them to travel to more places outside of the show. This leads to increased chances of finding real evidence. . along with using their better equipment.

So. . .don't feel bad if they do fake stuff. If they do, I'm sure they have good reasons for doing so. They were around before the show, and they were very serious. . .I can't imagine they'd become so corrupted by "fame" that they gave up on "real" ghost hunting for good.

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

I said the exact same thing to my mom about the voice when she was watching. I mean it was totally identical. I found it strange.

Doesn't the preview for tonight's Ghost Hunters say, "Tonight, all of TAPS secrets are revealed" ?

Really, that'd be interesting! Like a "Remember all that stuff we found? Well, we fooled you! And here's how not to be fooled again, by us or by others!"

I haven't seen the previews, so I don't know. ..But it would make for a good show.

I'd be crushed if it was all fake. :cry:

The voice didn't sound at all the same to me when it was said the second time. I do agree there is something fishy about it, but I don't think the team is to blame. Jason and Grant are NOT the kind of people to fake things, they care too much about the field to do it themselves, and I know that they would not allow SciFi to fake something on the show if they had anything to say about it. SciFi could, however, do it and not run it by the team first. TAPS simply does not fake their evidence, however appealing the idea seems to some, I do encourage those that think so to become familiar with the founder and co-founder first. :/

I just do not think that these guys would up and change their mind for one episode after having contributed so much to the field so far. They love what they do, they wouldn't ruin it by hoaxing. If you've never heard them rant about hoaxers, they get incredibly animated and fume quite a bit about it, and after listening to them several times on different subjects, I just can't see them being such hypocrites.

It would have been very hard to fake the pulling of the jacket, as it was pulled outward, not down, and there were temperature fluctuations at the time as well. The voice, I've heard a lot of theories about. A walkie talkie being overheard, a true fake planted by SciFi, really just whatever you can come up with. If it was a fake run by SciFi, I don't think the team was aware of it because Grant completely flipped out over it, he was really, truly excited (and they are rather bad actors if you've noticed in the pitches and the reveals when they've had to perform for the camera, such as while at "work" or when explaining the meaning/use of a word or equipment), but you'll notice that Jay didn't really hear it as well--he certainly didn't hear it full on the first time, while it was RIGHT behind Grant, along with the camera crew. I do think that the voice was probably set up by SciFi, but that the team was not aware of it.

I'm not going to argue here about whether or not TAPS has faked evidence or not. I have my suspicions but I'll keep them to myself for the time being. I just want to know why people think if Sci-Fi is making them fake evidence, why we shouldnt hold it against them? They're the #1 respected team in the world. If they are faking things for ratings and money, that means their credibility is gone...and so is a great deal of the paranormal investigation field's credibility.

I also want to know why some people are so convinced Jay and Grant could never eeeever fake anything. Since when did the people on this forum become close personal friends of Mr. Hawes and Mr. Wilson? When exactly were they declared saints who are infallible and never do anything wrong? Again, I'm not here to debate whether they have faked anything or not. But this position some people are taking...that Jay and Grant wouldn't fake anything...is ludicrous. You don't know them. They are people in your tv screen. They are just as human and capable of mistakes and wrong-doing as you and I. They are not gods, and I think that, to be truly open minded, you have to at least consider it a possibility that they are capable of faking things. They DO have a motive. Again, not saying they did or didn't. But it's possible. I just think some people have to understand that.

That is my two cents. I hope no one is offended.

What makes me believe they don't fake anything is that when they go into an investigation they're trying to disprove the claims. They don't always find evidence and say every place they find even a little bit of evidence is haunted. I'm not saying that means they'd never fake it, but It makes me believe them more.

Even if they are the real thing and they don't fake their evidence there are still going to be people who don't believe until they have their own experiences. No amount of proof is going to convince everyone.

What makes me believe they don't fake anything is that when they go into an investigation they're trying to disprove the claims. They don't always find evidence and say every place they find even a little bit of evidence is haunted. I'm not saying that means they'd never fake it, but It makes me believe them more.

Even if they are the real thing and they don't fake their evidence there are still going to be people who don't believe until they have their own experiences. No amount of proof is going to convince everyone.

Just because some people believe they fake some stuff doesn't mean we don't believe in ghosts. I just don't believe in ghost hunting on television. . .for the simple fact that, once they sign their show over to someone else (in this case Pilgrim) its no longer about ghost hunting. Its about entertainment and ratings. Pilgrim doesn't give a rat's a** about ghost hunting. They care about making money and getting the show watched.

There's a great possibility that, when they signed whatever contracts they did, they didn't know what they were getting themselves in to and that they did it with their hearts in the right places. And just trust me when I say that contracts are HELL to get out of. You will be made the most miserable thing on earth trying to get out of one in some cases. There's a greater good they can achieve by sticking it out with the production company.

Sure, if they are found out, they lose their credibility. . .to some. They wouldn't lose it to me because I know how things work in that business.

There's been a lot less "disproving" in the newer shows and places are labeled "haunted" alot easier. Why would this be? Certainly Jay and Grant didn't get rid of their trademark skepticism because they were sick of it? I'm sure they were persuaded to do so. It doesn't make them bad people and it doesn't make them any less credible. They are under contract! They belong to the production company right now.

And who is to say they even know some of the stuff is faked? It would be better if they didn't. . .it would give more genuine reactions from them. And if they do know? They may despise it, but what are they going to do? And then there's always the option that maybe they don't fake anything. It could be any of them. But you can't say with 100% certainty that they never, ever fake anything. Just like I can't say that they do.

see, the thing is that they're all about the forward progression of the field of paranormal investigation. meaning that, if they were to fake/exaggerate any of the supposed evidence they gather, they'd be setting their cause back miles. i can't rule out that sci-fi would possibly pressure them to fake it, or perhaps as a compromise, fake it for them, but in allowing anything remotely close to that, they'd be sacrificing their credibilty, their values, authenticity, and a whole plethora of damning consequences. nobody's in that deep of a contract, and if they had an ounce of dignity, they'd realize they are where they are today because of the fans of that show, the very fans they'd be betraying by being disingenous on epic levels.

This leaves little doubt unfortunately.....

you know, most, if not all, of the time i watch the attempts at debunking, they come off rather reaching and unconvincing, but this is quite compelling. it's as if his arm is paralyzed during the entire event. the first reaction is a pretty over-the-top, as if he were being yanked backwards, thought the jacket's movement doesn't correlate. then, the fact that after something like that happens, he leaves his hand in his pocket. the disappearing camera and the collar adjustment just prior only add to the suspicion. this is pretty damn disappointing.

this is devastating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfocjCX2sc...feature=related

Edited by Amnesiac

see, the thing is that they're all about the forward progression of the field of paranormal investigation. meaning that, if they were to fake/exaggerate any of the supposed evidence they gather, they'd be setting their cause back miles. i can't rule out that sci-fi would possibly pressure them to fake it, or perhaps as a compromise, fake it for them, but in allowing anything remotely close to that, they'd be sacrificing their credibilty, their values, authenticity, and a whole plethora of damning consequences. nobody's in that deep of a contract, and if they had an ounce of dignity, they'd realize they are where they are today because of the fans of that show, the very fans they'd be betraying by being disingenous on epic levels.

That's true. . .and I tell myself that often. If they really wanted out, they could do it, it'd be a battle, though. Maybe they think its best to just go along with it. If they're caught they can explain it away. Of course, that may just be me holding on to a few strands of hope that they really are genuine. . Which, I still think they are. From what I've heard, outside of the show they're very professional and very strict. My brother met them once before the show took off and said that they were all really serious about what they do. That's what leads me to believe that something else is going on with the show. . .that there must be some reason that they'd do it besides just being underhanded.

I had to practically sell my soul to get out of my contract, and that was with medical problems. . .and I wasn't even making anyone that much money. Anyone could have taken my place. I found myself thinking that I could have saved myself alot of time and money had I just stuck it out. And it wasn't even a contract with a major company. I can only imagine how ruthless one of those might be. Pilgrim signed on a bunch of unknowns that wanted to show the public what they do. They didn't expect the show to take off like it did. . .but it did, and suddenly they were sort of on top of the world. Maybe they're just sort of blinded by it. Remember, the show was originally supposed to be fiction using people BASED on Jason and Grant. . .That speaks loads.

But, you're right, it would be betraying the fans. There's no way fans will be able to forgive them. Not all of them, at least. I'm sure the die hards will still like them. I'll still like them. . .because I never expected anything more than entertainment from the show from the beginning. I love ghost hunting, but I just don't trust any of it that's on tv. Even reality shows are staged up to a point. . .so, c'mon, what can you really expect.

And, BTW, great video! I didn't even notice that one "tug" that it showed towards the end.

you know, most, if not all, of the time i watch the attempts at debunking, they come off rather reaching and unconvincing, but this is quite compelling. it's as if his arm is paralyzed during the entire event. the first reaction is a pretty over-the-top, as if he were being yanked backwards, thought the jacket's movement doesn't correlate. then, the fact that after something like that happens, he leaves his hand in his pocket. the disappearing camera and the collar adjustment just prior only add to the suspicion. this is pretty damn disappointing.

this is devastating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfocjCX2sc...feature=related

I saw this last night, and am totally disgusted. Why so many put these two on a pedistal is beyond me. There is NO damage control for these events. They should be ashamed..jmo..JN

see, the thing is that they're all about the forward progression of the field of paranormal investigation. meaning that, if they were to fake/exaggerate any of the supposed evidence they gather, they'd be setting their cause back miles.

Ive seen this type of argument again and again. But it really doesn't make any sense. In effect, it says they are not faking anything because they wouldn't. Now, I know you also went on to say you don't rule out the possibility of things being faked, so I am not being critical of you here. Just saying that I had seen that argument before in response to questions I've raised.

I just want to know why people believe TAPS would never fake anything when they have both motive, opportunity, and no one here knows Mr Hawes or Mr Wilson personally. Again, I am not making the argument that they are faking anything. I just want to know how people can presuppose that they wouldn't. My point is just that everything, even TAPS, should be questioned.

And my other point I want to state is, if TAPS is being prompted to fake evidence by the network or production company, even if they have a contract, that makes them equally culpable in the fraud. They don't get a free pass just because they have some contract. There seems to be this underlying notion that we should look beyond the tv show because that's just entertainment. But off camera they wouldnt do that. Well, how am I supposed to believe that? And why should I?

I used to be of the opinion that they wouldn't fake anything, but after seeing various debunking videos and realizing that the SciFi network is really running the show, I'm forced to be left wondering if they can truly be trusted anymore.

That makes me a sad panda.

Edited by Moonie2012

My opinion is that. . .they are under contract, they have to do what they are told. . .even if they don't like it.

See, I don't completely buy this. At least, not yet. I'm trying to think of what I would do in the same situation. If I were, say, Jason Hawes, and Sci Fi and Pilgrim Films asked me to fake evidence, I'd say no. If they said, "you're under contract. You do what you're told." I'd say, "I quit. Got a problem with that? Sue me. In court, I'll expose your network and your production company for attempting to defraud the viewers who believe what they are being shown is reality."

To me, Sci Fi and Pilgrim Films would then have a choice to make. Do they risk going to court to sue the employee who breached his contract knowing that he will blow the whistle on their fraudulent practices? If so, the contract itself will be front and center as evidence. If the contract says, in effect, that TAPS must fake things when we say they must fake things...then their credibility (Sci-Fi, et al) is toast. If it doesn't say that, Id still be blowing the whistle on their attempts at misleading viewers and I'm sure I'd owe them some money for leaving my contract. I lose money, yes, but now it's a matter of public record that Sci Fi and Pilgrim Films are full of fakes. But my hands are clean because I didn't fake a thing.

Then, after my non-compete clause runs out, I'd sign on with a rival cable network for a new show, or whatever.

Now, that is just my scenario. However, I am not a lawyer or anything, so I'm just speculating on what exactly would go down. Does anyone think this scenario is unreasonable or anything? Had it been me in TAPS' shoes, wouldn't this have been an acceptable alternative if asked to fake something? Opinions welcome. Thank you for reading.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I hope my posting is ok. I'm a big fan of Ghost Hunters from the beginning. The Halloween special has me wondering.. If you look at a waveform image of the audible voice phenomenon in the start of the show "you shouldn't be here", it is spoken twice and both are identical (like a recording). Later in the show when Grant's collar is tugged, did anyone else notice that all three times his right hand was in his pocket. He could have pulled a string that ran up his jacket and was attached to his collar. I hope I'm wrong, because I love this show and, well I'd rather sit through a boring non event show that think that I was being fooled. I hope I posted this in the correct forum, like I said, I'm a newbe and yes, I have seen a ghost that scared the crap out of me. :blink::no::cry:

I noticed it too, and I didn't think that the "You shouldn't be here!" voice phenomenon sounded identical the second time, but I did catch myself wondering if someone off the camera said it. I'm sorry. I love Ghost Hunters. I adore Jason and Grant, but there are things I find myself questioning and I don't like to have to do that. I'm really hoping they'll be the ones who carry us over to scientific evidence.

:o

these guys are doing what it takes to "get paid". We all do things at work we dont agree with at some point. If something tugged by collar to the point I lost my balance, not sure my hand would stay in my pocket.

Ive seen this type of argument again and again. But it really doesn't make any sense. In effect, it says they are not faking anything because they wouldn't. Now, I know you also went on to say you don't rule out the possibility of things being faked, so I am not being critical of you here. Just saying that I had seen that argument before in response to questions I've raised.

I just want to know why people believe TAPS would never fake anything when they have both motive, opportunity, and no one here knows Mr Hawes or Mr Wilson personally. Again, I am not making the argument that they are faking anything. I just want to know how people can presuppose that they wouldn't. My point is just that everything, even TAPS, should be questioned.

And my other point I want to state is, if TAPS is being prompted to fake evidence by the network or production company, even if they have a contract, that makes them equally culpable in the fraud. They don't get a free pass just because they have some contract. There seems to be this underlying notion that we should look beyond the tv show because that's just entertainment. But off camera they wouldnt do that. Well, how am I supposed to believe that? And why should I?

well, perhaps you shold've read my post more carefully. i'm actually in agreement with you, and was simply raising those points to illustrate how serious and contradictory this situation actually is. on a side note, i do realize 'it's just a tv show,' and that's fine, but if your mission/vision is to find the truth and so on and so forth, and your show is presented, as well as predicated, on such ideas, then you should be held accountable for what you choose to do with it.

Edited by Amnesiac

well, perhaps you shold've read my post more carefully. i'm actually in agreement with you, and was simply raising those points to illustrate how serious and contradictory this situation actually is. on a side note, i do realize 'it's just a tv show,' and that's fine, but if your mission/vision is to find the truth and so on and so forth, and your show is presented, as well as predicated, on such ideas, then you should be held accountable for what you choose to do with it.

Perhaps you should read my post more carefully, as I stated I wasn't being critical of you. Anyway, no harm done. Just wanted to make sure we had an understanding. Thanks!

I watched it as well and the voice was clear and loud, weird and creepy yes but why was

it so clear and loud? And repeated like a recording!

As for his coat it may or may not of been faked but he looked surprised!

Sci-Fi has the money and most people would like to secure their children's future!

In the beginning i really believed Taps but now it just seems that they are a

little suspicious! I hope that in the future they do something about what's going

on. I just wish this crap never happened, no fake ****!!