Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A haunting in conneticut

Hans Dolbrook

There is very little "truth" in the movie version. The trailer looks awesome and I plan on seeing the movie, but I realize there is no truth in it whatsoever. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the parents themselves. Who puts their terminally ill child in the basement where they used to do embalming? Who makes their child face that kind of cold reality, especially being terminally ill. Then, when the electric bill gets too high, the father takes away their lightbulbs down in the basement, so they are completely in the dark, terrified. Also, let us not forgot that the Warrens were involved. Anything with them is a lot of rubbish.

That aside, the movie looks awesome from an entertainment perspective.

p.s., Hi Sweet Pumper..... Sorry, I just could not get through that book (Shoemaker).... It was soooo depressing...

Edited by amybutts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sweetpumper

• Oubli

• stargazer123

• SystemOfADown

p.s., Hi Sweet Pumper..... Sorry, I just could not get through that book (Shoemaker).... It was soooo depressing...

LOL. I guess you gotta enjoy that stuff.

seriously, nobody did ever research the history of that house/ground?

I think they did.Somewhere ,I can't recall if it was on the tv show or not, but it was mentioned about one of the funeral owners or employees

commited **********, which is sex with dead corpses. This is something engaged in mainly by men.In fact there was a house of prostitution in Paris that had a room that was decorated like a funeral parlor, and the prostitute would be made up to look like a corspe. This is a true story, and I have seen it mentioned in several books.

I think John Zaffarini has something about the case on his website, as he was one of the investigators, and Lorraine Warren is his aunt.

Originally it had been a private home. I guess alot of this stemmed not from when it was a regular home, but became a funeral parlor.

And to answer someone's question,who would pay 100 dollars for a book, well some of those very fancy art books with full color glossy photos can be 50 dollars or more, though the reason this book is priced so high, is because of all the publicity that's all.

There is very little "truth" in the movie version. The trailer looks awesome and I plan on seeing the movie, but I realize there is no truth in it whatsoever. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the parents themselves. Who puts their terminally ill child in the basement where they used to do embalming? Who makes their child face that kind of cold reality, especially being terminally ill. Then, when the electric bill gets too high, the father takes away their lightbulbs down in the basement, so they are completely in the dark, terrified. Also, let us not forgot that the Warrens were involved. Anything with them is a lot of rubbish.

I didn't know the terminally ill boy slept in the basement, or don't recall it since I haven't seen it in awhile. Also didn't know the father took the light bulbs away.I know my parents NEVER would have picked such a place for us to live in,no matter how cheap. I might go see it, but you know how Hollywood deals with true events, they fictionalize half of it.

I saw the trailer in the movie theater, and it looked pretty scary, but as usual I'm sure they show the scariest parts of the movie to grab you and get you in the seat.

If only the people who did the movie trailers, actually made the movie. 

It’s funny how the trailer is always the best part of a lot of these movies these days.

I think they did.Somewhere ,I can't recall if it was on the tv show or not, but it was mentioned about one of the funeral owners or employees

commited **********, which is sex with dead corpses. This is something engaged in mainly by men.In fact there was a house of prostitution in Paris that had a room that was decorated like a funeral parlor, and the prostitute would be made up to look like a corspe. This is a true story, and I have seen it mentioned in several books.

some men are really pigs! anyway I dont recall it bein mentioned in the show. Actually IMO the background research is paramount in understanding a haunting.

So I dont understand why it wasnt mentioned in the show.....im puzzled by this.

I think John Zaffarini has something about the case on his website, as he was one of the investigators, and Lorraine Warren is his aunt.

Originally it had been a private home. I guess alot of this stemmed not from when it was a regular home, but became a funeral parlor.

ty Ill google John Zaffarinis website..

I saw the trailer in the movie theater, and it looked pretty scary, but as usual I'm sure they show the scariest parts of the movie to grab you and get you in the seat.

If only the people who did the movie trailers, actually made the movie. 

It’s funny how the trailer is always the best part of a lot of these movies these days.

Hollywood has lost his prime. Better look for asian or spanish movies they are scary. (I the spanish movie REC who was much superior to Quarantine, the american version)

I didn't know the terminally ill boy slept in the basement, or don't recall it since I haven't seen it in awhile. Also didn't know the father took the light bulbs away.I know my parents NEVER would have picked such a place for us to live in,no matter how cheap. I might go see it, but you know how Hollywood deals with true events, they fictionalize half of it.

The parents have done interviews and talked about it themselves. The father admitted to getting angry at the boys for leaving the lights on all night because they were scared, so he took the lightbulbs away. The entire family just sounds a little unstable.

• 2 weeks later...
The parents have done interviews and talked about it themselves. The father admitted to getting angry at the boys for leaving the lights on all night because they were scared, so he took the lightbulbs away. The entire family just sounds a little unstable.

I just rewatched the episode of "a haunting" and noted the vocal tone of that woman, and she exudes "drama queen".

I think people like that p*** off ghosts to the point that they summon all their powers to drive the nuts out

linked-image

HAUNTING 2009 MOVIE

here's the poster and trailer.looks awesome!

I'll probably end up seeing it even though I know I won't be able to sleep that night because I'm a glutton for punishment in that respect. I do get a kick out of the whole "based on true events" theme as most of the times it is so loosely based its ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

wow! that is like maximum freaky. ha i just got the chills because ive moved to atleast 3 haunted houses before so i too know exactly how you feel when you say that you felt watched in that house. my first house was in prosperity, sc and i just always got that feeling that if i turned around, some weird ghost or spirit would materialize right in front of me. What I found bizarre was that I thought i was going crazy. Like i wondered if anyone else got the same feeling. Only my lights in my room would come on or only my computer voice would talk by itself. Then about 2 months ago i was talking to my older bro who's a freshman in college about the house and said that he experienced the same thing without me even telling him what happened to me there. So I was spooked. My second house was in prosperity too. It was a good thing that I loved this house, but i was taking a bath one time and the closet door latch unlatched itself right in front of my eyes. I locked it back up; it did it again. It was a very old house so i thought "oh no big deal, this house is old enough to be my great great grandma" well when I made sure for the third time that the door was locked and a towel stuffed in front of it to stay shut, that it wouldn't/couldn't possibly open. I seriously witnessed the towel move, the door unlatch, and slowly creek open. I was little at the time so ofcourse i jumped straight out of that tub and was out the door before you could say split. But gah ever since I've just been a bit paranoyed about my closet door being opened or my lights being on. I always make sure that my feet are under my covers and that everything is turned off. So far the haunted house I'm living in now hasnt given me any problems....... yet. this is to that gilbert person who lived in the house that had some kind of indian burial ground thing.

Edited by clairebear262

I saw the thing on the discovery channel about the "true story". I was about ten minutes into it when I said to my b/f "This has GOT to be a Warren's case. . ." I had almost admitted defeat until about 2/3 of the way into it when the woman said she saw something about some psychic investigators in the paper and I was like "Here it comes!!" . . .and, sure enough. . . It was the Warren's that they called in.

I would take any investigation done by them with a grain of salt. Including this one.

I'll still probably eventually see the movie. :D

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this.

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking! If my kids were complaining about something like that, I would let them sleep in my room and I'd go sleep in the basement. If he was that ticked about the electric bill, it would have been a simple solution. That's what I would have done if my child was too scared to sleep down there. I wouldn't even have to believe them, I'd just do it to prove a point. If it came down to it, I'd move my bed and everything down there and give them my room.

If there were any ghosts or "demons" keeping me awake down there, they'd have a whole different kind of demon to deal with. I'm not very nice when something keeps me awake, I don't care what it is. :devil:

I was actually reading an article where the author of "In a Dark Place" was interviewed. He admitted most of the crap in the book was made up. I guess the family could not keep their stories straight, so he went to Ed Warren and asked him what he wanted to do. Ed told him to make it up and make it good. He was under contract, so he did but made a statement after the book came out stating he embellished most of it.

The people who live in the house now say nothing weird has ever happened and that the most frightening thing they experienced there were on-lookers coming onto the property and knocking on their door to see the "haunted house". This is just another Amytiville hoax. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy a ticket to see the movie, I'm a sucker for a scary movie. But, that is all it is, just entertainment.

I was actually reading an article where the author of "In a Dark Place" was interviewed. He admitted most of the crap in the book was made up. I guess the family could not keep their stories straight, so he went to Ed Warren and asked him what he wanted to do. Ed told him to make it up and make it good. He was under contract, so he did but made a statement after the book came out stating he embellished most of it.

The people who live in the house now say nothing weird has ever happened and that the most frightening thing they experienced there were on-lookers coming onto the property and knocking on their door to see the "haunted house". This is just another Amytiville hoax. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy a ticket to see the movie, I'm a sucker for a scary movie. But, that is all it is, just entertainment.

This is all true.

I wonder why people feel the need to make stuff up like this all the time????? I know money is sometimes the motive but don't they think these lies will come to haunt them? (no pun intended)

I think we live in a society where nothing is really shocking anymore so every one is looking for that thrill factor. It is like no one wants to hear the glass moved by itself they want to hear the glass flew off the counter and cracked someone's skull open. I don't know what is fact or fiction anymore with half this stuff and it sucks because people who might have really experienced supernatural things or something of that nature and are honest look like nutters because of those that like to exaggerate. I have found though that most of the highly fantastical stories are usually just that fantasy with a little truth sometimes but mostly fantasy.

Edited by stargazer123

There's usually a load of Hollywood movies based on 'a true story' which come out every year and they're never anything special.

I hear ya lol.and I love your avatar EXCELLENT....

Either way...I would still like to catch this movie...I love haunted stories..whether they be fictional or not...well most are... LOL

The trailer looked good...but then again BM here has been caught in those traps before LOL the hyped up movie trailer and BAM...I walk out thinking...what on earth was that??? :blink:

I will see this movie sometime this week, and let everyone know how it was compared to the show, not counting the acting maybe though.

http://www.damnedct.com/damned-interview-ray-garton/

That's the link to the interview. I saw the episode on the Discovery Channel and had been intrigued, even more so once the movie was announced. It still looks scary though, and I will probably watch it because I am a sucker for horror films.

I saw it last night! It was scary! I really enjoyed it though!

As for the light bulb breaking, the Dad was drunk when he did it. Apparently he was an angry drunk. And I would let my kid sleep in the basement. Teenagers love that sort of thing!

One more thing to add, this movie was filmed partly in Winnipeg, my home town. The house they used is in a small town just outside the city.

Edited by Relle

True events seem to make the best movies, imo. :lol: I'm just to scared to watch them. My brother will be really interested in it though. I loved the episode on A Haunting, it was pretty interesting.

To actually experience something like that would really have to make you feel hopeless... Some of it's just so fantastical it doesn't even seem real.

Strangely about 2 weeks ago I picked up a book I have had for a about 6 years and never read. It was called "In a dark place" I read the book in about 4 days and actually really enjoyed it. Then on my way hom from work one day I saw the poster for "Haunting in Conneticut" The book is the same story as the film and was written in 1992 by a guy called Ray Garton. If you read some of the things Ray Garton has to say about the family who lived in the apparent "haunted house" he himself is in doubt that it is based on truth! He actually said himself " I dont like the book and i'm glad it is no longer in print, the family were going through a bad stage of Drug abuse and alcoholism" and went on to say "It is hard to write a book based on "true events" when all the peopl involved give you a different story"

I enjoy these sorts of films and books and I am pretty openminded as far as ghosts go. But the author of the book, who also interviewed the family on a few occasions, doesnt believe himself that the story is true, that doesnt really give you much confidence in the plot and kinda puts me off the film. I'm sure the film itself is a good film and probably very well put together but it was disappointing to learn that the book I enjoyed so much was more than likely the ramblings of a very disturbed, stressed and drug abusing family.

I saw the movie tonight. I didn't think it was good to be honest. Yeah it had a few scenes to make you jump but nothing more.

I saw the movie tonight. I didn't think it was good to be honest. Yeah it had a few scenes to make you jump but nothing more.

I have heard mixed reviews. I had a friend who gets scared very easily watch this movie and she was scared to death. She loved it and wants to see it again.

I have another friend who saw it and he said that it’s the 1st movie he ever wanted to walk out of because it was sooo bad!

He said There were a lot of parts that made you jump, like “cat in the cupboard “sort of thing, but nothing of any real substance to make you walk away scared.

I’m going this weekend to judge for myself.

I was bummed. Not really scary. They should have focused on the scary spooky stuff, including the kid that died there and all that. Making us "jump" is not the same as scaring us. I wish these Hollywood types would figure that out.

I remember when the first Alien movie came out in theaters, I went to the restroom, and actually had to take a deep breath before going back in. THAT was scary.