Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A haunting in conneticut

Hans Dolbrook

Apparently the movie is pretty goood lol a group of my friends saw this weekend as one of our profs is in the movie and it was filmed out here lol im pretty sure they took a lot of artistic liberties in it though

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sweetpumper

• Oubli

• stargazer123

• SystemOfADown

I have heard mixed reviews. I had a friend who gets scared very easily watch this movie and she was scared to death. She loved it and wants to see it again.

I have another friend who saw it and he said that it’s the 1st movie he ever wanted to walk out of because it was sooo bad!

He said There were a lot of parts that made you jump, like “cat in the cupboard “sort of thing, but nothing of any real substance to make you walk away scared.

I’m going this weekend to judge for myself.

I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I find the psychological aspect of situations really scare me not just the scary apparitions and maybe I felt that is where it was lacking. I really didn't quite feel the fear within the characters it just seemed like the fear was laid out for the audience and it is usually that psychological fear within the characters that plays into my fear.

I hope you like it seeing how expensive movies have gotten to go see these days. Let us know what you thought Sho Sho.

does anyone know what the phrase "one bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys come out to fight."

does anyone know what the phrase "one bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys come out to fight."

I'm pretty sure it is an excerpt from an old poem or book.

I saw the episode "A haunting in Connecticut," which I think was the second installment of the series, and thought it was a good ghost story. I really like the creepy voice of the narrator. I've only seen the commercials for the movie version, and it looks to me like they've just gone overboard on the basic story, blowing it all out of proportion to what may (or may not) have happened. I doubt I'll pay money to go see the movie in the theatre, but I'll probably fork over the $3.99 when it comes around on Pay-per-View.

I remember something close to that

One bright day in the middle of the night

two dead men got up to fight...

back to back they faced each other

drew their swords and shot each other.

If you don't believe this tale so tall...

ask the blindman, he saw it all.

I was bummed. Not really scary. They should have focused on the scary spooky stuff, including the kid that died there and all that. Making us "jump" is not the same as scaring us. I wish these Hollywood types would figure that out.

I remember when the first Alien movie came out in theaters, I went to the restroom, and actually had to take a deep breath before going back in. THAT was scary.

I guess everyone's different. I personally found the movie very intense. There were a couple parts that were designed to startle you even though it was nothing scary (like a mop hitting the ground right after an intense scene) but most of the time it was something scary like the burnt apparition of the boy, a shadow of an apparition, or some other dead thing. I watch A LOT of horror films and this was one of the best/scariest I've seen in awhile. I've seen all the Alien movies and I'm sorry, but they just did not scare me. To me, nothing says scary like the dead. I really have no idea what you're talking about when you say they should have focused on the kid that died there, because that was the central aspect of the whole movie. Either you were in the restroom or you had your eyes closed for half of the movie.

As for how much of the movie was actually truthful, it's hard to say. Every time there is a TV special or a documentary on a haunting, the truth seems to get convoluted. I doubt much of what happened in the movie was based on fact, save for the part about the house being haunted. In reality, hauntings just aren't scary enough.

I remember something close to that

One bright day in the middle of the night

two dead men got up to fight...

back to back they faced each other

If you don't believe this tale so tall...

ask the blindman, he saw it all.

i remember it as(this is the long version):

The famous speaker who no one had heard of said:

Ladies and jellyspoons, hobos and tramps,

Cross-eyed mosquitos and bow-legged ants,

I stand before you to sit behind you

to tell you something I know nothing about.

Next Thursday, which is Good Friday,

there's a Mother's Day meeting for fathers only;

wear your best clothes if you haven't any.

Please come if you can't; if you can, stay at home.

Admission is free, pay at the door;

pull up a chair and sit on the floor.

It makes no difference where you sit,

the man in the gallery is sure to spit.

The show is over, but before you go,

let me tell you a story I don't really know.

One sunny day in the middle of the night,

two dead boys got up to fight.

The blind man went to see fair play;

the mute man went to shout "hooray!"

Back to back they faced each other,

A deaf policeman heard the noise,

and came and killed the two dead boys.

A paralyzed donkey passing by

kicked the blind man in the eye;

knocked him through a nine-inch wall,

into a dry ditch and drowned them all.

If you don't believe this lie is true,

ask the blind man; he saw it too,

through a knothole in a wooden brick wall.

And the man with no legs walked away.

Edited by tharacon

I was going to see this movie, but the reviews said it was tailor made for susceptible teenagers. That UNinspired me so I did not go. As for is it true - only if you believe in that nutty couple who investigated it. There is a review from the guy that wrote the book and he said me made most of it up. Also, there was someone on here previously who said they lived in that place and the lady who was featured in the book is a big liar. They said the house was a little haunted but nothing like the movie makes it out to be...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, my 16-year-old daughter took me to see this movie this week. I have to say, I was kind of disappointed. It just was not scary. It wasn't a bad little movie, but I was expecting something scarier. Now, my 16-yo got pretty freaked out, lol.

Keep in mind, the movie is complete B.S. There really is not much truth in it, other than their son was ill. He went into remission before they moved out and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital. These people lived in this house for 2-1/2 years and claimed that the demons raped them. Come on..... would you live in a place for 2-1/2 years if you were being assaulted. The claims just get bigger and bigger.

Funnier yet, I read an article that they are writing ANOTHER book on the ordeal (get ready for a HUGE laugh) with Chip Coffey. LMAO!!!! Oh, that was entertaining.

this does sound similar to another haunting i have heard. A teenage boy and his younger brother slept in the basement of the house. ghosts would haunt them only in the basement. The boy, a normally very nice boy, started hanging out with drugees, blasting Slayer (one of the greatest bands on earth), and fighting with everyone he could imagine. Finally he told his family he had to kill them to stop the spirits downstairs. they sent him to an asylum where he killed himself. the younger brother slept downstairs again and was haunted by the ghosts, but they didn't take an interest in him. The hated him. He slept in the bathroom for a week until investogators came and looked out. they ran infared, sound tests, and wind currents upstairs. nothing. a member of the team opened the basement door and a spirit at the bottom flung a colomn of "fire" at him. he ran. the found out that men killed women and children in the basement of that house. The cops ran in and shot the guys. They now haunt the basement. Sounds kind of the same.

P.s.

every preview of that movie has some kid with something coming out of his mouth, what the hell is that!!??

I've not actually seen the film although watching the trailer has made me want to go to the cinema. IMDB obviously not definitive and definatley not always correct gives it 5.8. When I have seen it I'll give my account of it. I have seen the Discovery docu/drama version and it certainly left it's mark on me. If the film is rubbish then I'd say watch the TV version instead!

It's true, check it out. It's certainly a good read.

1 new from $89.95 11 used from $44.58 1 collectible from $80.00

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Place-Ray-Garton/dp/0440216982

In todays climate (sorry I'm sick of hearing those words too) that's about 40-50 quid! I hope the book does other stuff to, makes you a brew or something at least!

I was too busy trying to decipher the script carved into the dead bodies to be really freaked out by this movie. Yes it had a few creepy moments, but I was unaware that they had allegedly lived in the house as long as they did and were having demonic sodomy problems. The movie conveyed to me that they where there for only a few weeks to a month or two at max.

I'm excited to see this, I am such a horror flick chick!

This story was based on a book called: In a Dark Place-the author soon realized the people telling it were liars & had mental problems.

[edit] Mental state of the family who related this "true" story?

Garton has, however, noted that he doesn't like this book, and is glad it is out of print, saying: "The family involved, which was going through some serious problems like alcoholism and drug addiction, could not keep their story straight, and I became very frustrated; it's hard writing a non-fiction book when all the people involved are telling you different stories —Preceding unsigned comment added by 75.168.175.84 (talk) 20:18, 24 March 2009 (UTC)

I have met the kid who allegedly had cancer, he was a drug addict and he was constantly seeing things. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Bankman (talk • contribs) 00:54, 1 April 2009 (UTC)

Actually, he was diagnosed as a schizophrenic. Luckily, that's covered in the skeptical inquirer article I referenced in my edit. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Skeptic practitioner (talk • contribs) 07:32, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

[edit] No longer haunted

Here's more

The new film "The Haunting in Connecticut" tells the story of the Snedeker family, who in 1986 rented an old house in Southington, Connecticut. Allen and Carmen Snedeker moved in with their daughter and three young sons. While exploring their new home, Carmen found strange items in the basement: tools used by morticians.

The family soon discovered — to their horror — that their home had once been a funeral parlor, and the eldest son began seeing ghosts and terrifying visions. The experiences spread to other family members and got worse: Both parents said they were raped and sodomized by demons; one day as Carmen mopped the kitchen floor, the water suddenly turned blood red and smelled of decaying flesh; and so on.

Finally the family contacted a pair of self-styled "demonologists" and "ghost hunters," Ed and Lorraine Warren, who arrived and proclaimed the Snedeker house to be infested with demons.

The scariest part? It's all true, supposedly.

The Snedekers have told their story many times, including on national talk shows and in a Discovery Channel TV show. The film's poster states in capital letters at the top that the movie is "based on true events." Yet others aren't so sure.

Investigator Joe Nickell reports in the May/June issue of Skeptical Inquirer magazine that the Snedeker's landlady found the whole story ridiculous. She noted that nobody before or since had experienced anything unusual in the house, and that the Snedeker family stayed in the house for more than two years before finally deciding to leave.

Apparently being assaulted and raped by Satan's minions for months at a time wasn't a good enough reason to break the lease.

The Snedeker's story first came to light in horror novelist Ray Garton's 1992 book "In a Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting." In an interview in "Horror Bound" magazine, Garton discussed how the "true story" behind "The Haunting in Connecticut" came about.

Garton was hired by Ed and Lorraine Warren to work with the Snedekers and write the true story of their house from hell. He interviewed all the family members about their experiences, and soon realized that there was a problem: "I found that the accounts of the individual Snedekers didn't quite mesh. They couldn't keep their stories straight. I went to Ed with this problem. 'Oh, they're crazy,' he said.... 'You've got some of the story — just use what works and make the rest up... Just make it up and make it scary.'"

Garton, who had accepted the job expecting to have a real "true story" to base the book on, did as he was told: "I used what I could, made up the rest, and tried to make it as scary as I could."

Though the Snedekers stand by their story, it seems there is little or no proof that anything supernatural occurred at the house. Whether or not the Snedekers actually believed their story, they stood to make money from the book deal. They were aware that the Lutz family — of Amityville, New York — profited handsomely from selling the rights to their "true story" of a haunted house. "The Amityville Horror" has long since been revealed as a fiction by investigator Ric Osuna and others. Interestingly, the Warrens were also involved in the Amityville case.

Fiction passed off as memoir or true story is certainly nothing new, from William Peter Blatty's book and film "The Exorcist" to James Frey's debunked bestseller "A Million Little Pieces." Filmmakers have a long history of touting movies as being based on true stories, when in fact they have little or no connection to any real events.

As for "The Haunting in Connecticut," Garton notes, "I suspect the movie will begin with the words: 'Based on a true story.' Be warned: Just about anything that begins with any variation of this phrase is trying a little too hard to convince you of something that probably isn't true."

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090...ting-movie.html

I'm such a horror party pooper :innocent:

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

this family moved into the house cause it was closer to the hospital. due to the fact their teenage son had cancer.

when they moved in they noticed that it had previously been a morgue. as usually the haunting started with footsteps, weird sounds, and unexplained sightings.

the ghost seem to focus on the teenage son. one day the son decided to confront the prescence. after confronting the spirit the son became darker and darker.

he stopped talking to the family, he began playing loud music, he began writing evil things, and when he talked to the family he would start fights.

well after a while he started trying to really hurt the family. after attacking his cousin. he was sent to the hospital. he warned that things would get worse since he was gone.

and they did. after the family returned home the wife went to take a shower, and the husband went to work. the ghost really freaked, it wrapped the shower curtain around the wife. it attack the cousin. it used the car to attack the husband. i mean it literally tried to hit the husband with the car. voices were all over the place, black masses were in the corners of the house. and that was just part 1.

they called in investigators to check out the house the investigators slept in the house, whenever they slept the beds they slept on would rise up, like they were breathing.

one of the rules the invest. had was never walk around the house alone. one of the head invest. got away from the group when he was attacked by something.

the investigators held an exorcisim. during the exorcisim people were thrown against the walls, choked, crosses and statues of mary were being melted. i mean real hollywood movie stuff. eventually the exor. was a big success and the family moved.end of part 2

i dunno if the movies gonna be like that.

but thats what i remember from the show.

Hmmm.... sounds like an updated "Amityville Horror"...

lmao, momentarylapse!

I read the same article. People get mad at me all the time for doing the same thing with the Amytiville Horror. Both were good movies, but take them for what they are, spooky scary stories invented by people trying to make money. Everyone loves a good scary story, just don't fall for the fantasy.

lmao, momentarylapse!

I read the same article. People get mad at me all the time for doing the same thing with the Amytiville Horror. Both were good movies, but take them for what they are, spooky scary stories invented by people trying to make money. Everyone loves a good scary story, just don't fall for the fantasy.

And it's harmful for children/kids that believe in these things.

I'm pretty open-minded actually-but myths/lies need to be busted.

Here's more:

Garton said the paranormal investigators (Warrens) told him to just "make it up (the story) and make it scary" when he approached them with his concerns over the inconsistencies.

Ed and Lorraine Warren, renowned paranormal experts who worked on the Ammityville haunting :angry:are decptive .

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...cut.html?cat=40

I say dig dig and dig again-if you want to know the truth

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

lmao, momentarylapse!

Ich Sehe Alles, und alles ist gerade dabei laut aufzuschreien.

Ich auch................................ ;)