Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Common Sense Voices

coberst

Common Sense Voices

I claim that one cannot enter, for the first time, into the territory of some domains of knowledge while listening to common sense voices. Our common sense will immediately reject some facts because those facts are contrary to common sense.

You must still these instinctive reactions because common sense knows nothing about many things. The physicist must still her common sense reaction at the results of some experiments regarding the inner working of the atom.

The inner working of human nature can be as mysterious to common sense as is the inner reality of the atom.

We can see only what we are prepared to see. Common sense does not prepare us to see many things. We have to creep up on certain matters and withhold judgment until we are intellectually sophisticated enough to judge their reality.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coberst

• John from Lowell

• DBurkland

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure how you are using the term 'common sense'. Each person has their logical thought process and their instinctive or intuitive senses. As I see it, to discover a deeper truth on any matter, one must employ both aspects.

There are many who consider 'common sense' as a description for this process.

John

John

Common sense—the unreflective opinions of ordinary people

This is the definition from my Webster's and this is what I meant in the OP by the phrase "common sense". Like most words one can find many different definitions apparently.

Many people think that common sense is not common; they must be thinking about the definition "Sound judgment not based on specialized knowledge; native good judgment". I am inclined to agree.

I, too, am inclined to accept your ideology.

The very definitions of "paranormal" and "common" show us that we must be willing to step outside the realm of accepted ideas, and venture into those that are not yet charted.

It is absolutely imperative that we not let our thoughts become constrained by surrounding ignorance.