Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New clues in Lusitania's sinking

UM-Bot

news icon rWhen the lusitania went down, it left a mystery behind: What was the cause of the second blast? After nearly a century of investigation, argument and intrigue, clues are starting to surface.

On May 7, 1915, the RMS Lusitania, jewel of the Cunard Line, was on a New York-to-Liverpool run when it was attacked by a German U-boat 12 miles off the coast of Ireland.At 2:10 p.m.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: NPR

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Gatofeo

• Oen Anderson

• Archer1945

Sheesh ... had to get down to the bottom of the article to learn they found ammunition.

Lousy job of reporting. Writer needs to remember the "inverted pyramid" method of writing news reports.

To wit:

"In his hands lie pieces of history: seven gleaming rounds of .303 ammunition, probably made by Remington in America and intended for the British Army. Ammunition that for decades British and American officials said didn't exist. Yet all around Andrews are mountains of jumbled rifle cartridges that glint like pirate's treasure in the robot's light.

Gregg Bemis, the American venture capitalist who planned and paid for this expedition, says if they're lucky, the dive team could find as many as 4 million bullets."

They are cartridges, not "bullets." Bullets are the projectile. Cartridges consist of the case, projectile, gunpowder and primer.

Remington Arms made millions of rounds of ammunition for Britain, before the U.S. entered World War I. Though the U.S. was supposedly neutral, it exhibited clear favoritism to Britain, France and other enemies of Germany. The finding of a few cartridges is hardly proof, but if they find thousands of rounds then history will be rewritten.

The big mystery about the Lusitania is not addressed in this report: Who tipped off the Germans? Carrying munitions with innocent civilians aboard is contrary to international law.

A number of suspects have come to light over the years, but nothing definitive.

I have my own theory: This crucial piece of intelligence, that resulted in the deaths of more than 1,100 civilians, probably came from a bigmouth dock worker in a bar, and overheard by a German agent or repeated down the line until a German agent or someone sympathetic to Germany heard it.

Bars are a favorite hangout for agents seeking information, because drinking lowers inhibitions and bits and pieces of overheard information can be pieced together.

Somehow it was verified.

Contrary to propaganda, German U-boats took great pains to positively identify their target. Similarly, whoever sanctioned its sinking would have almost certainly had irrefutable proof of the munitions.

I believe the sinking of the Lusitania resulted in the famous poster that warned, "Loose Lips Sink Ships!"

There's a world of truth in that statement.

I wonder what is with NPR making as if this was a big mystery? I thought it had been well-known for a number of years that the Lusitania was carrying munitions and this was not the first time it had done it. Remember the Germans had posted a list in the newspapers of ships that would be targets because they were known to carry munitions in violation of the U.S.'s declared neutrality. I'll just it was announced it was not carrying munitions this time so they could get some Americans among the passengers who were going to be sacrificed.

In his book The Money Matrix of the New World Order, author Tilley claims the Germans sunk the ship because of the Monied Elite that were on board to send a message that they knew who they were and could get to them. Also the ships manifest showed the ammo was indeed on the ship making it fair game. Ultimatly what sunk the Lusitania is what sinks all ships, more water coming in than is going out and gravity. Mystery solved.

• 1 month later...

You know, the fact that The Lusitania was carrying munitions for the British Military has never been in question. In fact, the ammunition was listed in the cargo manifest. However, I do find it intriguing that the cruiser was called back before it got to the survivors. I think Churchill knew that there would be no end to the war if the US did not enter. On the other hand, the Zimmerman Telegram pretty much ensured our entry to the Great War.

Loading Manifest of the Lusitania

The Fallen Angel

I've heard that the reason the German sank the liner so near to land, rather than in the mid-Atlantic, was an attempt to limit civilian casualties.

In any case, carrying war materiels in a passenger ship is a severe violation of International Law and makes the vessel fair game for sinking under that very Law.

Moreover, there was no "surprise" factor here. The German Goverment announced in big city American newspapers in advance that they were indeed going to sink the Lusitanioa.

Edited by OldTimeRadio