Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where is Atlantis?

Grey_Wolf

Atlantis,

I guess we all know what it is or what we have read about it, but i havent read up on it yet...

all i know it was a city that was lost for good...

now they say that it could be in the black sea cause that was connected to the euro continient,

ermmmmm wasnt the whole worlds contenints at 1 b4?

pleae if anyone has any web pages or info on Atlantis i would love to read on it original.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Potholer

• PurpleStuart

• Atlantis Rises

• Monkyburd

I wrote an article on the possible whereabouts of Atlantis. It's in the editorial section. Please click the Editorials button at the top and it's under guest submissions. But in short, I believe Atlantis resides exactly where Plato says it is: in the Atlantic Ocean, beyond the Pillars of Heracles (aka the Straits of Gilbrator) on the edge of the Mediterranean Sea.

Personally, I believe it is not in the Atlantic Ocean, but rather somewhere along the Mediterranean Sea. I don't buy the whole "continent" thing because ancient scholars tended to blow things out of proportion.

So erm...did I miss the part where the evidence was found saying Atlantis existed?

So erm...did I miss the part where the evidence was found saying Atlantis existed?

People have claimed that have found Atlantis everywhere from North America to the Antartic, but none of these claims have been validated.

I believe the true Atlantis exsisted in the Medditerranian area, but they created colonies all over the world at some time. Perhaps a link between the Incas, the Mayas, the Eygptians, and the other "pyramid builders"

True. Colonies may be the reason why so many civilizations are very similiar in nature, but there has to be a central point -- an origin of these people. An island.

I've always liked the idea of it being in Antartica. It's a large landmass that, when viewed as the centre of a map, it is the centre of the world, surrounded by land...I'm quite sure that was part of the desription - that it was an island surrounded by land - though, i havent read up on it much lately.

Here's a site that gives supporting evidence for it being under the South China Sea. The site makes a pretty strong case.

Atlantis in the South China Sea

No matter what anyone says, Atlantis was not on Crete. It's too disappointing to think that the great and amazing civilisation described by Plato can be such a teeny tiny island.

I agree that Atlantis must have existed. The official first civilisations sprang up way to fast to have been developing on their own.

No matter what anyone says, Atlantis was not on Crete. It's too disappointing to think that the great and amazing civilisation described by Plato can be such a teeny tiny island.

Crete? A teeny tiny island? It may not look much now as a half moon, but who knows what resided in the middle of that gigantic crater? Crete aka Santori was one huge island at one point, but it was blown apart by a large volcanic explosion seen all around the world in 1600 BCE. Ancient ruins have been found on both sides of the island nick named the Minoan civilization, after King Mynos. Both sets of ruins show frescos of beautiful art told by Plato in his accounts of Atlantis and show hints of springs that once sprouted hot and cold water. I'm not saying Crete aka Santori is Atlantis, but so far it has all the markers of Plato's story, more so than any other location excavated.

And Antarica is a theorist's dream for Atlantis as it's virtually impossible to search for remains of the lost island there due to the frigit cold and unending and unmeasurable size of the ice caps in the area. But I agree, there has to be a land mass underneath all that ice somewhere.

Isn't it Thera that got blown apart by the volcano? In fact, Thera IS a volcano - albiet half of one since it blew. Crete is the wide island lower...on the edge of the mediterranean sea... ohmy.gif But, by it's position adn the area aroound it, Thera still couldn't have been too much bigger...

Sorry, I got my names mixed up. Crete has some beautiful frescos as well. We studied it in class when I was 13 (ok, so that sounds really unimpressive. The impressive bit is that I still rememeber so much 3 years later) and brushed over Thera as well. I thought that Crete was also believed to have been home to Atlanteans? I've probably just got Thera and Crete confused but hey.

If Atlantis 'sunk' wouldn't it be an idea to map the underwater geography of all seas that would be big enough to have held a civilisation as big as Atlantis?

original.gif

Potholer

When talking about a big civilisation it would be wise of you to keep it in context with contemporary civilisations of the day, take for example, Athens at its peak, had about 300,000 people living in it. If we assume Atlantis was another small city state on an island then I very much doubt it was the size of africa.

Atlantis isn't an ancient civilisation as in Roman or Greek or whatever civilsiation.

Atlantis existed before that and therefore Athens or any other ancient city cannot be used to compare.

At least, that's what I think original.gif

Ahh but it isnt pre-supposed that atlantis was merley an island, It is believed that it could have been a continent.

Now the problem with believing that atlantis was where antartica is , is dates.

Im sure we've all heard of graham hancock and his theories but his theories on the age of atlantis dont match when the antartica was not ice bound , i mean you have to go back hundreds an hundreds of thousands of years ago to suppose atlantis once existed there.

Im not saying it didnt but it means a whole new radical approach on the thinking of just how mankind was formed and when.

A lot to pre-suppose to say the least.

A continent does not merely vanish, There arent many scenarios that would account for thousands of km of bed rock that supported a land mass to the sea bed simply dissapearing and the continent sinking, so it seems far more likely it was a island, and as for antarctica, sounds like a stupid theory someone made because they know it cant be disprooven. ie because the evidence is under many km's of ice formed hundreds of thousands of years ago.

ho ho.

Edited by WorkMonkey

Dates are definately a problem...

Rand Flem-ath, to my knowledge, is a leading writer in this particular theory.

He explains the disappearance of Atlantis using the theory of Earth Crust Displacement. That at the end of the last ice age (about 12000yrs ago) the whole earth crust slid down therefore changing Antartica's postion from out of the artic circle (wait...is the artic circle the northern polar area? Or are they both "artic circles") to within. This theory was first propsed by Charles H. Hapgood.

A little info on it - Earth Crust Displacement

There are a number of old maps that alledgedly show antartica without ice. These maps were made before 1820 when antartica was officially discovered by modern day explorers. For example the Oronteus Finaeus Map and the Piri Reis map.

While reading up on this stuff just now, I found it said that the Atlantic ocean has been mapped with sonar and nothing resembling a continent or island was found. What now then?

Edited by Potholer

The purpose of mentioning the maps was to say that it's possible there was/were more advanced civilisation(s) that we havent got recorded in our history books.

A site with a number of maps that look remarkably similar to antartica.

Maps

Is this stuff off topic?

Meh

original.gif

Potholer

One thing I know for sure,.. Disney doesn't know anything about it! laugh.gif

Where is Atlantis.... dontgetit.gif

It is all made up, darling. original.gif

It was all from Plato's imagination just to prove a stupid point. whistling2.gif

Believe it or not, the ancients can make up fiction also! cool.gif

Where is Atlantis.... dontgetit.gif

It is all made up, darling. original.gif

It was all from Plato's imagination just to prove a stupid point. whistling2.gif

Believe it or not, the ancients can make up fiction also! cool.gif

No-one knows where it is.

But it's so much more fun to believe it's true, however silly and unfounded original.gif.

What point was he proving?

Have any of you guys actaully read Timeous and Creteas or whatever they're called? I haven't and I'm curious to know exactly what plato says about it. Didn't somone post a thread containing them a while back? One of the mods...

People have claimed that have found Atlantis everywhere from North America to the Antartic, but none of these claims have been validated.

whistling2.gif I read something in a fiction novel about Atlantis and the Bermuda Triangle (basis of the book) and I think the guy was trying to prove the existance of it through his novel, or he had some real facts. Even so, it was a great book. Called : Atlantis: The Bermuda Triangle ---- I think it's by 'Greg Dongle' (Pen Name)

Anyways, I think it exists or existed somewhere, the most plausable places I think is just above cape horn, but out in the sea, near the East Coast of the United States, The Indian Ocean, or maybe in the center of the Atlantic. cat.gif

Dates are definately a problem...

Rand Flem-ath, to my knowledge, is a leading writer in this particular theory.

He explains the disappearance of Atlantis using the theory of Earth Crust Displacement. That at the end of the last ice age (about 12000yrs ago) the whole earth crust slid down therefore changing Antartica's postion from out of the artic circle (wait...is the artic circle the northern polar area? Or are they both "artic circles") to within. This theory was first propsed by Charles H. Hapgood.

A little info on it - Earth Crust Displacement

There are a number of old maps that alledgedly show antartica without ice. These maps were made before 1820 when antartica was officially discovered by modern day explorers. For example the Oronteus Finaeus Map and the Piri Reis map.

While reading up on this stuff just now, I found it said that the Atlantic ocean has been mapped with sonar and nothing resembling a continent or island was found. What now then?

This is exactly what Greg Dongle wrote about in his book! I MEAN EXACTLY! It sounds VERY plausable to me. It also showed 'Atlantis' as being Antarctica or something...I suggest reading his book. (Even though it is fiction)

Edited by The Raven

I can't believe that Atlantis was written about by one man, who wasn't even an historian and all other trusted historians of his era never even mentioned such a land and yet, by some people, it's taken as the gospel truth.

Interesting don't you think?

Perhaps proof of this civilization is under the one place left unexplored in the world?

The miles of ice under antartica

Yes Student&Alive, someone has already mentioned that in this thread above. This theory is really only workable if you take into account crust displacement theory as this would allow for some of Antartica to be free from ice as recent as 10,500BC. In his book Fingerprints of the Gods, Graham Hancock references this theory and the maps of an iceless (and at that point undiscovered) antartica from the 16th century to make his case for the possibilty of Atlantis being there. Unfortunately this Crust displacement theory has been widely discredited, even Mr Hancock has retracted his belief in it as a viable possibilty.

It is my belief that there was an ancient civilisation that dated back before the civilisations which current historians mark as the first. I think there is a danger though that by calling it Atlantean, you conjure imagery that has been associated with it by fanasists ever since Plato first mentioned it (not that i'm calling Plato a fantasist mind you). You must remember that Homo Sapiens have been around for 150 thousand years, to presume that civilisation has only existed in the last few thousand years due only to the lack of imperical evidence is a little presumptious, especially as the evidence for earlier civilastions is not sought by mainstream archeology and science. Indeed it is scoffed at by modern historians. We shouldn't believe that just because there is no conclusive proof that we should stop looking and keep our minds open.

Like Atlantis, to find earlier civilisations we must look to the ocean, only a tiny amount of underwater archeology has been done as opposed to the enormous amount of land based digs. This is especial relevent when you realise that nearly all major centres of population throughout history were based around rivers and coastlines and that since that last ice age the sea level has risen by a significant amount (50 metres approx i f i recall correctly, i will have to go check that so apologise if i'm wrong). In the last few years around India at least one major city has been discovered that is at such a depth underwater to date it back to way before current historians believe civilisations started.

Hmm i seem to have gone a bit off topic there, but Atlantis? There is a large submerged shelf, of which the exposed bits are the Azores. It is the closest geographic canidate if Platos description of it being in the Atlantic was correct. Other possibilties are another large submerged shelf southwest of Ireland (which coincides with the 'Hybrasil' of Portalan maps) and also the bahamas.

Purple Stuart, all of what you said is correct, but sea levels have only risen about 25 meters, but that is still a significant amount. It was enough to cover the azorean land mass. Graham Hancock also wrote Underworld about underwater ruins off Alexandria, in the Bay of Bengal, and off Japan. Read it some time! thumbsup.gif