Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Philippines foils major terror attack

stillcrazy

MANILA - The Philippines said on Tuesday its security forces had foiled a "Madrid-level" terror attack in the capital Manila by arresting four suspected Islamic militants and seizing a large amount of explosives.

Officials said the four suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiah militant groups had been arrested in separate raids in Manila, including in the Makati business area.

"What we have arrested are elements of the Abu Sayyaf and the JI (Jemaah Islamiah)," National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales told Reuters. "We don't know which was the leading one."

Al-Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiah has been blamed for a series of bomb blasts in Manila in December 2000, including one on a train, that killed 22 people.

Full Story

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• KayEl

• fearfulone

• stillcrazy

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing has happeened here in britain on a madrid scale as well.

so woohoo for us. thumbsup.gif

whistling2.gif

Happy days are here again!

The terrorist will be caught

And it's just a question of when!

Happy days are here again! whistling2.gif

Excuse me while I do the jig.. wiggle.gifwavey.gifwiggle.gifwiggle.gifwavey.gifwiggle.gifwavey.gifwiggle.gifwiggle.gifwavey.gif

what i dont get is they say "al-qaeda linked" leader of the group...why was this guy not arrested earlier?! blink.gif

either way, the terrorists will lose and we will all prove our mighty power thumbsup.gifgunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gifgunsmilie.gifthumbup.gifclap.gifclap.gifgunsmilie.gifthumbup.gifw00t.gif

They dont arrest them straight away because it is of more use to them if they watch them keep them under surveillance and learn as much about everyone in the network as they can. Hopefully in doing this they completley destroy the whole infrastructure, this is the idea although some will inevitabley get through the net.

If they just arrested the guy striaght away then the majority of the others in the cell would simply melt away into the backround and we would get nowhere.

It is exactly this approach that is gettin results, i dont think we realise just how many terror attacks are prevented by our brave security sources. thumbsup.gif