Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

people with abnormal powers

oz100

I really wouldn't class such abilities as paranormal if they existed, since everyone would be capable of learning how. I would class them like I would martial arts, painting and playing music.... There is not one person who couldn't learn how to paint or play music etc. However some people are just more inclined whether it be mentally, physically or creatively.

Yeah, I wouldn't classify them as paranormal either, but with soceity making it that way, that's why we can't find these topics except on forums like these. People are more inclined for certain things though. That's why it's so hard to classify a word to describe it. I could see someone going into an interview and the interviewer asking "what are your skills?" Heh, if someone is a real psychic, or a magic user, or whatnot, the answer to that question becomes a big one. ^_^

Oh, Lets just say were "special talents".... lol

lol that works =)

Oh, Lets just say were "special talents".... lol

Heh, special as in the short bus special. :lol:

*** removed***

Point taken Aquatus.... Your right....

Edited by WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

Ok, now that you have all sorted out the semantics of the words powers vs abilities, i just want to stir the pot a little more. i do not accept that any of these powers/abilities/gifts/curses are abnormal.

Call them uncommon if you wish (althougn i am not even sure if that is true.I have rarely met a human being without some special gift or talent of some sort)

To me they are no more abnormal than sight or smell. They are simply a function of humanity. Some people posses them in greater degree than others. Some utilise them more than others. Some embrace them wholeheartedly and some deny them. I have many in very minor form and they dont feel any more abnormal than breathing or smelling. They are simply an normal adjunct to every day life and something one can make of as they will.

They can be used for benefit of self or others but also can cause problems and complications. A talented person can become a bit like the one eyed man in the land of the blind to thoise around him.

I think they respond; first to awareness and further to education, training and practice, but this is based on personal observation. I think they can largely be set aside and atrophy without conscious recognition and acceptance of them.

Mine a just a part of me, nothing special. The most useful is to find lost objects, the most impressive is to be able to see the future as regards myself on numerous occasions, or perhaps to read minds, travel in obes and see things in real time space or record conversations . None are particularly useful or profitable . They are just as likely to scare people deeply as to impress them in any way, when they are demonstrated clearly and incontrovertibly.

It is true that a few are more intrigued than scared but they are the minority. Often they include people who have similar personal; skills, talents, or experiences them selves, and are seeking understanding and vindication through sharing.

I suffer from empathy and a certain knowing of people upon first meeting them....

I suffer.... from reality.

I think science has done a terrific job of testing people's so called abilities, gifts, etc... well, not testing them per say, more or less testing the claims. So far, science 1, false claims 0.

Edited by NoTC

I think science has done a terrific job of testing people's so called abilities, gifts, etc... well, not testing them per say, more or less testing the claims. So far, science 1, false claims 0.

I am sorry that reality makes you suffer....your reality & my reality are different....

Science has been wrong before and will be wrong again...

My reality is that magical powers aren't real. Lord of the Rings is only a movie. Nothing more, nothing less. My previous statement was that of obvious sarcasm in that perception of reality does not ALTER reality. In other words, just because one thinks they are special, doesn't mean they are.

Um, no. Science isn't wrong on this one. I can guarantee that. So much so I'm willing to bet my life on it. Like I said, science has put these claims to the test, and they've come up empty handed. Goshity heck. I wonder why.

My reality is that magical powers aren't real. Lord of the Rings is only a movie. Nothing more, nothing less. My previous statement was that of obvious sarcasm in that perception of reality does not ALTER reality. In other words, just because one thinks they are special, doesn't mean they are.

Um, no. Science isn't wrong on this one. I can guarantee that. So much so I'm willing to bet my life on it. Like I said, science has put these claims to the test, and they've come up empty handed. Goshity heck. I wonder why.

This is still just your opinion. Most of it condescending. It doesn't really contribute to this thread. While it is true that science has put some of the claims to the test, not all have been. Though with science constantly advancing, what is true today, may or may not be tomorrow. If you're just going to state your own personal opinion, try to use a little more tact.

And this

Goshity heck.
is in poor taste and offensive. Edited by Meiliken

Now which science are we talking about now??? The science which mainstream goes with or the real stuff the governments use. Cause now I am pretty sure the government wouldn't keep sinking millions into projects like stargazer and stargate if it didn't work. It is actually a well accepted thing amoung governments that pysicik powers are real and in fact at one time or another a major government has ran paranormal research projects and still do to this day. So now I believe your reality is actually a dislusion or an illusion. Reality of that matter is you are wrong. Though false claims must be pointed out and debunked as soon as humanly possible and these people removed from the community for their lies.

Meiliken

No science has already proven this to be real. Look it up. Governments have had projects concerning all matters of paranormal research and powers. It is the main stream which is ruled by old idiots who do not wish to move with the times and hold on to their poor little dillusions and old ways of thinking thus holding back the rest of the world. Science isn't about our opinions it is about understanding reality. Unfortunatly it happens a lot in the other way where new discoveries need to be so obvious that it can't be proven wrong instead of working like huh we were wrong time to move on with our new found knowledge.

Meiliken

No science has already proven this to be real. Look it up. Governments have had projects concerning all matters of paranormal research and powers. It is the main stream which is ruled by old idiots who do not wish to move with the times and hold on to their poor little dillusions and old ways of thinking thus holding back the rest of the world. Science isn't about our opinions it is about understanding reality. Unfortunatly it happens a lot in the other way where new discoveries need to be so obvious that it can't be proven wrong instead of working like huh we were wrong time to move on with our new found knowledge.

You missed the word "some" in my posting. I said "some were tested" as some people are charlatans. Of course there are projects in it. Even I know that. :wacko:

Edited by Meiliken

Since I don't have any "special powers," I don't won't anybody else to have them either! Whoever has one, should have to turn it over, rihgt now . . . to me!

Edited by CausticGnostic

This is still just your opinion. Most of it condescending. It doesn't really contribute to this thread. While it is true that science has put some of the claims to the test, not all have been. Though with science constantly advancing, what is true today, may or may not be tomorrow. If you're just going to state your own personal opinion, try to use a little more tact.

And this is in poor taste and offensive.

Please show me where anyone has posted anything that "contributes" to this thread. Claim after claim is not a contribution. It's like filling a piggy bank with dirt. Telling me to use more tact is derogatory and condescending. I'm not telling you how to respond.

Your OPINION is that it's in poor taste and offensive. Perception does not make it so : )

Look, if you want to argue semantics, you're doing it with the wrong person. I'm not here for that. I present what I have. People choose not to like it. That is not my fault. There are over 6 billion people on this planet, and I can't please them all. The feelings and perceptions do not represent ALL.

Now which science are we talking about now??? The science which mainstream goes with or the real stuff the governments use. Cause now I am pretty sure the government wouldn't keep sinking millions into projects like stargazer and stargate if it didn't work. It is actually a well accepted thing amoung governments that pysicik powers are real and in fact at one time or another a major government has ran paranormal research projects and still do to this day. So now I believe your reality is actually a dislusion or an illusion. Reality of that matter is you are wrong. Though false claims must be pointed out and debunked as soon as humanly possible and these people removed from the community for their lies.

Meiliken

You do realize that Stargazer was in 1962 and Stargate was trashed 14 years ago, right? Do you even know what these projects were?

lol

Here's some information for you. There is a ton of it out there on the world wide web. Or you can visit your local library and check out a few good books about this stuff. It's very interesting.

Stargazer was a project used to research the affects of the atmosphere on telescopes and the long-term effects of high-altitude environments on the human body.

Stargate ran from 1970 to 1995. The CIA terminated the 20 million dollar project, citing a lack of documented evidence that the program had any value to the intelligence community (according to this lovely wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project). In other words, phsycis, remote viewers, etc... (they've got a whole bunch of different names for the same thing) were tested for 25 years and yielded unsatisfactory results.

Despite your best efforts, science has proven the opposite of what you've asked Meiliken to look up.

The fact of the matter is that if you're going to tell anyone they are wrong, you should probably have your facts straight first : )

....Telling me to use more tact is derogatory and condescending. I'm not telling you how to respond.

Perhaps not (re, telling others how to respond) but I intend to tell you. I'm going to tell everyone here that civil discussion involves respecting the opinions and beliefs of others. Certainly neither opinions, nor beliefs are automatically factual (many are based on faith and supposition). And certainly, distinguishing fact from opinion/belief is indeed important. That said, this designation can (and will) be achieved in a manner that is polite, civil, and within the constraints of proper adult decorum.

I refer to the rules here:

3f. Abusive behaviour: Do not be rude, insulting, offensive, snide, obnoxious or abusive towards other members.

I understand where you are coming from, but for example, no govt agency (or anyone else) has tested, or even examined, my claimed experiences. Thus, to me at least, they are still valid claims, particularly as extensive medical and psychological testing has "proven" that, as far as modern western medicine can determine, I am in perfect neurological and psychological health.

Science, in the form of modern medicine, simple lists my claims as "events of an inexplicable nature" or words to that effect, and passes no judgement on them at all.

So, in my assessment, the true score is more like; science's ability to disprove all claims 0. Scientifically proven claims 0. Which is something i am happy to live with. Paranormal and psychic abilities, or what ever we call them, are difficult to prove in a scientific sense. But this does not mean they cannot be quite clearly verified , demonstrated, and supported with clear physical evidence, at a personal and interpersonal level.

The one true "defence" science has for its denial of actual paranormal /psychic events, which are witnessed and verifiable, is to call them coincidences. Im sure some are, but others can be shown not to be, through their accompanying context, while others are simply so improbable as to be mathematically almost impossible, especially when repeated, rather than one off occurences.

So if i demonstrate an ability to accurately see the future once, that is possibly credible as coincidence, depending on the context. If i do it a dozen times coincidence becomes far less probable. A hundred times, and coincidence is almost statistically impossible as an answer.

If i can see/find one lost object etc.

If i can travel, through obes, to a part of the world, and see or listen to something there, then have that independently confirmed as existing /happening in the real world at the same time? Once; possible concidence. A dozen times ?? A hundred times? Something real, independently verifiable , and inexplicable in scientific terms.

Edited by Mr Walker

Ok, now that you have all sorted out the semantics of the words powers vs abilities, i just want to stir the pot a little more. i do not accept that any of these powers/abilities/gifts/curses are abnormal.

Call them uncommon if you wish (althougn i am not even sure if that is true.I have rarely met a human being without some special gift or talent of some sort)

To me they are no more abnormal than sight or smell. They are simply a function of humanity. Some people posses them in greater degree than others. Some utilise them more than others. Some embrace them wholeheartedly and some deny them. I have many in very minor form and they dont feel any more abnormal than breathing or smelling. They are simply an normal adjunct to every day life and something one can make of as they will.

They can be used for benefit of self or others but also can cause problems and complications. A talented person can become a bit like the one eyed man in the land of the blind to thoise around him.

I think they respond; first to awareness and further to education, training and practice, but this is based on personal observation. I think they can largely be set aside and atrophy without conscious recognition and acceptance of them.

Mine a just a part of me, nothing special. The most useful is to find lost objects, the most impressive is to be able to see the future as regards myself on numerous occasions, or perhaps to read minds, travel in obes and see things in real time space or record conversations . None are particularly useful or profitable . They are just as likely to scare people deeply as to impress them in any way, when they are demonstrated clearly and incontrovertibly.

It is true that a few are more intrigued than scared but they are the minority. Often they include people who have similar personal; skills, talents, or experiences them selves, and are seeking understanding and vindication through sharing.

Thats a good esplaination... I think atrophy has set in with me...lol

Its been so busy and hectic, I haent had time to hear myself think... I gusee this is where the inner voice and the saying comes from...

Cheers!!

Paranormal Bah.

All things are normal. Properly understood however is more of the challenge.

As a scientist [not a sceptic] i find it my nature to prove what i beleive. the beauty behind this is that for special gifts as we are discussing i find myself compelled to create adequate theories to explain these phenomena as if they are indeed real. In doing this one creates the opening for the more close-minded to accept it as possible. So yeah bring it on ill find out how it might actually work.

Paranormal Bah.

As a scientist [not a sceptic] i find it my nature to prove what i beleive. the beauty behind this is that for special gifts as we are discussing i find myself compelled to create adequate theories to explain these phenomena as if they are indeed real. In doing this one creates the opening for the more close-minded to accept it as possible. So yeah bring it on ill find out how it might actually work.

I find that a healthy attitude. Might i ask, however, how you deal with things you know to be real/true but which do not (by their nature) lend themselves to the nature and rigour of scientific verification?

Im talking here particularly, not about things which happen( or exist) purely within your head, but events/ experiences with independent validation, ie witnesses, or measurable change in the environment.

What would you call these types of events/experiences?

Please show me where anyone has posted anything that "contributes" to this thread. Claim after claim is not a contribution. It's like filling a piggy bank with dirt. Telling me to use more tact is derogatory and condescending. I'm not telling you how to respond.

Your OPINION is that it's in poor taste and offensive. Perception does not make it so : )

Look, if you want to argue semantics, you're doing it with the wrong person. I'm not here for that. I present what I have. People choose not to like it. That is not my fault. There are over 6 billion people on this planet, and I can't please them all. The feelings and perceptions do not represent ALL.

You do realize that Stargazer was in 1962 and Stargate was trashed 14 years ago, right? Do you even know what these projects were?

lol

Here's some information for you. There is a ton of it out there on the world wide web. Or you can visit your local library and check out a few good books about this stuff. It's very interesting.

Stargazer was a project used to research the affects of the atmosphere on telescopes and the long-term effects of high-altitude environments on the human body.

Stargate ran from 1970 to 1995. The CIA terminated the 20 million dollar project, citing a lack of documented evidence that the program had any value to the intelligence community (according to this lovely wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project). In other words, phsycis, remote viewers, etc... (they've got a whole bunch of different names for the same thing) were tested for 25 years and yielded unsatisfactory results.

Despite your best efforts, science has proven the opposite of what you've asked Meiliken to look up.

The fact of the matter is that if you're going to tell anyone they are wrong, you should probably have your facts straight first : )

Wrong Project Stargazer. You can't even find information on it online. It is in the line of stargate and it produce very real results and was canned when the perticipants went public and public opinion was extremely low for it thus its death was assured. Though the technology developed during it has more than peaked my interest but I lack necissary funds to do anything with it if I was able to obtain diagrams through freedom of information act. I didn't ask anyone to look up anything I am stating fact. You can claim all you want that this isn't real but at the end of the day it is and will continue to be cause that is reality. Plain and simple.

Plus I highly doubt anyone would continue something for 25 years with no results. That is just a huge waste of money. From the results I heard they got it going quite nicely before they canceled it.

Paranormal Bah.

Nice outlook on it. My outlook is more of an update system. New information comes along and I am reasonably sure it to be true and supported by other things I know then I must get rid of my old info and replace it with this new and this happens at a nice pace.

I find that a healthy attitude. Might i ask, however, how you deal with things you know to be real/true but which do not (by their nature) lend themselves to the nature and rigour of scientific verification?

Im talking here particularly, not about things which happen( or exist) purely within your head, but events/ experiences with independent validation, ie witnesses, or measurable change in the environment.

What would you call these types of events/experiences?

Do you think the government would ever let mainstream science confirm it. They will just keep it a secret and it is interesting to ponder how many of these so called debunkers are on their payroll or getting kickbacks from them. The government wants the power and doesn't want it to fall into others hands.

I would call them... ... ... As they are for what they are.

There was a company that ran education classes for PSI abilities back in the 70's. Don't know if they're still around, but the last session involved testing. We were asked to put a name and address on a slip of paper which was then put into a box. After scrambling the notes we were then asked to pull one note out, then use the skills taught to find that person mentally (psychically) and then verbally describe the person, home, physical well being (or illnesses past and present). Today I have heard the term Remote Viewing used for this skillset.

The control was that no one knew the person, except the person that put the name in the box. We then gave the description and anything else we saw. The information was then confirmed by the student who put the note in the box. Only one person out of 13 had any trouble with this exercise.

The idea was to show us that it is not an abnormal power or ability, but rather just an organized way of thinking that allows you to get in touch with your own abilities. A small percentage of children learn to read automatically, no one knows how to really explain it, they just somehow know it. I think this is in the same category. My husband decided to take the class with me...skeptic of the world!... and he completely "got it".

We were all also given two pennies. The object was to heat one and cool one as we held them in our fists. So we all ran around dropping heated and cooled pennies into each others hands.

If a company can teach us this kind of control, it would seem a snap to provide the proof needed.

Cayce

Things to consider:

Some people can instinctively "read" what a person might be thinking simply through observation.

This means they notice the tiniest muscle movements in the face or body which to some may seem paranormal in nature.

Empathy/Empathic may be the term you're looking for when describing a person who is hypersensitive to the feelings and emotions of others.

This is not necessarily paranormal in nature but may be due to personal experience,culture, drugs, etc.

You really think internet videos are some kind of proof?

Now first off, telekinesis and telepathy can be done, and if you are just too skeptical to believe it, then just stop yapping and go away. You want proof and yet you are denying someone who is trying to show you. That is not someone hungry for proof. NEVER underestimate a child; you may be surprised about what they may know and what they can do.

Now first off, telekinesis and telepathy can be done, and if you are just too skeptical to believe it, then just stop yapping and go away. You want proof and yet you are denying someone who is trying to show you. That is not someone hungry for proof. NEVER underestimate a child; you may be surprised about what they may know and what they can do.

Then why has no one who makes these claims ever been able to do such a thing in controlled conditions? Do you understand why controlled conditions are so important and why a youtube video is easy to fake? Why is there no system for it in brain? There are no sections of the brain able to do this and if you say we only use 10% of our brain (something with no basis in reality) I will petition for remove of your keyboard.