Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A response thread

Insight

But we don't know what's true or not with out proof.

'

Yes, but you can prove a person wrong simply by disecting what they say, and how they act.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Meiliken

• Insight

• Psikillion

• Vampwitchenstein

There are many people who've gone and have demonstrated their psychic abilities; one being the infamous Yuri Geller. The government has been practising remote viewing for several years. It's not as if psychic abilities haven't been explored or studied by scientists and etcetera. The problem with anyone possessing true psychic talent is that they're made fun of, debunked and disbelieved. John Edward was chided for his abilities and he still has non-believers in the scintific communities. If anyone should be studied, or have their powers studied, I think it should be him.

Another big problem are the fakes and the hoaxers who've made it easy for many to not want to believe in the abilities.

There are many people who've gone and have demonstrated their psychic abilities; one being the infamous Yuri Geller. The government has been practising remote viewing for several years. It's not as if psychic abilities haven't been explored or studied by scientists and etcetera. The problem with anyone possessing true psychic talent is that they're made fun of, debunked and disbelieved. John Edward was chided for his abilities and he still has non-believers in the scintific communities. If anyone should be studied, or have their powers studied, I think it should be him.

Another big problem are the fakes and the hoaxers who've made it easy for many to not want to believe in the abilities.

No there are not. Sorry you are very wrong about Geller, he is an illusionist and has been caught using slight of hand.

No one has ever shown such abilities under controlled conditions.

No there are not. Sorry you are very wrong about Geller, he is an illusionist and has been caught using slight of hand.

Uri Geller debunked

The guy is just a stage magician, but he lies to people and says he's supernatural. Case closed.

And John Edwards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDeVseZ8Fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE5N8z2Aa4...feature=related

Give me a break. You're citing the two absolute WORST examples you could possibly come up with, and you do a terrible credit to your cause.

Edited by Insight

This is a response to the thread, "How many powers do you have?"

Most of what I hear on these sections is random nonsense which sounds like you're just making this stuff up as you go along. It's like your inventing an imaginary world for yourselves, and constantly comparing notes and new ideas. Like a group of people designing a new role playing game, or developing a story for a Manga. or Anime.

I mean, it's fun to talk about this possibility, but it seems like a lot of you actually believe this stuff. Like, you actually believe that you can control fire and air and weather and stuff. And 90% of you are still in highschool, or even gradeschool. It's just mind boggling. I mean, do you show people these powers in real life? Do you show you classmates, and teachers? What about your parents? Or your friends?

If I had powers like that, I would show everyone! I would want everyone to know. I'd want to be tested by scientists! Why? Because if I did, and they proved once and for all that psychic powers were real, it would usher in a completely new stage of human evolution, and catapult the human race forwards. Technology, religion, politics, and military, would never be the same again.

So why aren't people jumping at the chance to display these powers on public? Why aren't people every where constantly trying to get these powers recognized as real? I mean, that would be the FIRST thing I would be trying to do! Even if I could perform the SLIGHTEST, tiniest little feat of psychic power, that would STILL prove it was real, and I'd start talking to as many people I possibly could to prove it to everyone. I would call up scientists, newspapers and TV stations. I would show the world that human being is far more powerful they we understand. And by doing so, it would result in the eventual understanding, and eventually mastering of these abilities.

So why isn't everyone here who claims to have psychic abilities doing that? Are you selfish? You need to keep the power for yourself?

Or is it that you simply can't consistently do anything in front of people which anyone would consider to be "psychic"?

If there are psychics out there, they should be all RACING to scientists to prove their claims!

Why would you call it power its not a power it is a gift. the definition of Power is being strong not psychic

Edited by haidee

Why would you call it power its not a power it is a gift. the definition of Power is being strong not psychic

If you had any of these 'gifts' for example to read minds or control fire etc that would make you superior to normal man and thus more powerful.

If you could demonstrate such ability you would become super famous and likely super rich too. Simply because you can do what everyone else has only dreamed of being able to do.

This all being said why do so many people here have an attitude when they are questioned? If it's one thing I learned analyzing people it's that always become the most defensive when the lie.

If some of you are so sure of your abilities, put some effort into making a controlled test with REAL data and REAL proof.

If some of you are so sure of your abilities, put some effort into making a controlled test with REAL data and REAL proof.

It is not hard to do. Just turn up to a university and they can set up for you free of charge and you'll become famous.

Another common excuse I've heard from alleged psychics or the kids claiming to have powers is that "it's a gift, and I can't use it to show off" or "it's a gift from God and I can't use it for my own personal gain."

Ironic.

A psychic has never won the lottery. And they'll tell you they can't use it for personal gain. So here's a little challenge.... if you claim to be psychic, win the lottery, and donate it to charity. Then you won't be using it for your own personal gain. Anyone care to attempt this?

: D

• 4 weeks later...
People need to have more confidence in themselves! If you have a statement to make, make it as if it's the truth, and make damned sure you have some facts and information to back it up, and defend it. And if you have an opinion, share it as though you are right! Don't tip toe around who's right and who's wrong. Two people can't believe different things and both be right. That's simply impossible. 1+1=2. That's it. 2+1 doesn't equal 2. Neither does 3+1. And no matter how much I believe they do, it doesn't make it true.

Truth is, and always has been, objective, not subjective.

well, I for one think schrodingers cat is dead :P

on the "it's my opinion" note, it mitigates the statement. You are obviously not one for mitigation, however it does have its place in the world largely in facilitating a constructive discourse when viewpoints differ. They can also be inappropriate or excessive even causing plane crashes as malcolm gladwell cites in outliers. You asked about why ppl say it's 'just their opinion' when factually everyone knows it is just their opinion, well it's smooth out the communication process from a psychological point of view.

btw NoTC, you're not really grasping 'personal gain' are you? granted most, possibly even all of the people on this site are making up excuses because they haven't got more powers than anyone else, but your line of reasoning is still logically flawed. So, I'm thinking the headlines would say "psychic wins biggest prize in lotto history, gives all to charity". I can't imagine what sort of personal gain (*ahem* *fame*) would come out of such a scenario, can you? but I agree that the excuses made are as unfortunate as children calling sick to school. What really confuses me though is the cynics who just chill on this forum to pick on anyone who says something that doesn't agree with them, or even the people who pick on kids who are making exhaggerated claims. If you got picked on as a kid, go to a therapist or something, this ain't helping. If that's not the problem, well I hope you find whatever solution works. Me? I guess I've always liked standing up for the little guy, so maybe I should hit up a therapist too...

• 2 weeks later...

I myself have tried providing evidence of my paranormal ability on this forum. I do agree that a lot of people make up abilities, but I also believe it's really not that simple as revealing it to the world, then being rewarded with all this oh, so grand change...I have HONESTLY been extremely tempted to reveal my abilities to the world along with my identity (and indeed, I have giving many successful psychic readings to friends and teachers), however, with that revelation comes a sacrifice; I LOVE being psychic, but if I reveal my identity to the world, it becomes my life; I want paranormality to be APART of my life, NOT to consume it. Right now, I want to build my career...graduate from college, become a language interpreter....travel around the world, translating for thousands of people. Later on in my life, when that is done, then maybe I will try and give more evidence of my abilities, along with my identity.

Keeping my identity secret helps me to accomplish my dreams. I don't have to be pressured to prove this or that at this or that time. I can be part of paranormality when, where, and how I so choose. And I don't want to usher in a world of change in terms of religion and philosophy, just a normal guy who happens to possess abilities. The only big changes I care about right now are about my eventually going to China next year. As far as the lottery goes....I shrug. I don't know why I don't see lottery numbers. Of all my visions, not one of them has EVER been about the lottery. :)

:)

• 1 month later...
I so agree with you , don't encourage those people to talk , corner them with their own claims and humiliate them , make them lose every single bit of credibility they have. :yes:

Edit : typo

Wow, you like to hurt people huh? I think that mentality speaks for itself.

I hate it when people say, "But that's just my opinion".

For one thing, OF COURSE IT'S YOUR OPINION! Who's else would it be?

Second, when you say, "That's just my opinion", you make it sound like your opinion doesn't really matter. As if you need to say, "That's just what I think, but if you think something different, then you can be right too."

But that's crap. What if I'm wrong? Who cares if it's just "My opinion" if I'm totally off base.

Just because somebody FEELS a certain way about something doesn't mean they are right. And regardless of what anybody says, being wrong IS dangerous. Being wrong about something and living life under a lie is not good for you, or anyone.

And third, just because you choose to believe something doesn't mean it's real, or can become real.

An opinion is a simple comment. An opinion isn't a fact supported by evidence. An opinion is a personal idea about a subject. An opinion is usually shared to draw attention to one's self. However, a statement of fact is a continuing of a productive conversation. And asking a question is a precursor to being able to form a factual statement. Factual statements lead to the exploration of reasonable theories.

This is how information turns into new ideas, and how new ideas turn into information. It's the only ingredient in human progression.

People need to have more confidence in themselves! If you have a statement to make, make it as if it's the truth, and make damned sure you have some facts and information to back it up, and defend it. And if you have an opinion, share it as though you are right! Don't tip toe around who's right and who's wrong. Two people can't believe different things and both be right. That's simply impossible. 1+1=2. That's it. 2+1 doesn't equal 2. Neither does 3+1. And no matter how much I believe they do, it doesn't make it true.

Truth is, and always has been, objective, not subjective.

I agree with all of that, but when bringing truth to anyone, the delivery method should always be considered. Ramming religion down a persons throat doesn't work, so neither will logic. Social workers learned this long ago. If you don't know how to talk to people to get them to learn, screaming it at them isn't going to do it either. Most people gain wisdom over time. Let them.

Great post, Insight. One of the few I can actually reply to without jumping on anything.

...Okay, I lied about that last part.

This doesn't really apply. 10 is just a representation of a number, not the actual number itself. In binary it means something different than in hex, which means something different than in decimal. But the actual numbers represented in decimal by 10 and 10 will always add up to the number represented by the decimal 20, even in binary or hex.

A human, however, isn't just a representation of something. If I freeze time and walk around the room to look at someone from different angles, he'll still be exactly the same unless I poke him or something. Psychic abilities, etc, are the same way.

However, the word used to represent the person might represent something entirely different in another language. The properties of language very often don't mesh with the physical world, unfortunately.

I suppose the people claiming extraordinary powers could be speaking some sort of pseudo-English where the words have different meanings, though...

By the way, my power is to write in censored text.

Heh, just to throw a monkey wrench in there. If time were stopped, and light requires time to move, you wouldn't see them because the light would not be bouncing from the surface of their body into your eyes. The most you would see would be light waves. Sorry, couldn't help myself on the science aspect of time stop and sight.

But in some way shouldn't we (as in us geezers & world weary and/or wise ones) be at least supportive of the young 'uns expressing and expanding their creativity and imagination? Maybe encourage them to explore what they can do with their knack for the fantastical? That is, just the ones who can't post irrefutable video of their demonstrations of claimed powers and abilities.

I know I was an easily crushed teenager... the only thing I remember about school distinctly was the one teacher who praised something I had wrote. The rest of it is one big long memory of screaming, stinking Hell.

Wisdom most don't learn until late in life. Good job.

Changing the written unit of measurement does not change the measured value. Arabic symbols of 10 mean ten. Binary symbols of 01010 mean 10. Roman symbols of X mean ten.

But either way, 10 + 10 = 20 in Arabic numerals. 01010 + 01010 = 10100 (20 in Arabic) in binary symbols. X + X = XX (20 in Arabic) in roman symbols.

Changing the language does not change the law.

Case closed.

Really people, why argue the semantics of a number? Pointless.

to an extent i think you are right, but it's not like these kids are making cool paintings of people with magical powers or writing books or directing their own short films, they're just making up nonsense and convincing themselves its true. It's not healthy, children should be out catching minnows and frogs and building tree houses and gambolling through meadows with lambs not convincing themselves that they have magical powers on the internet, you also have to consider the fact that many of them have probably been taken in by websites which exploit their naivety and ultimately will probably take money from them at some point in exchange for magical powers training dvds or some such utter b******s.

it's never too late to go out and catch some frogs and minnows and build a treehouse and gomboll through meadows.

Oh no, you better not watch tv either. It rots your brain. :wacko:

Oh and music, video games, and comic books make teens violent! :w00t:

I completely agree.

True. I think I'll post that quote above my computer desk. I need to remember to do that more, not 'schedule' every minute of time I'm out of the house.

Thanx. :)

A happy medium is what's required. As time advances, technology advances and people advance. A better suggestion is that instead of concentrating on fantasy all the time, don't forget reality and spend time interracting with it. I did hiking and catching frogs and everything else, but I also played video games, watched tv, filled my days with meaningless stuff. Finding the medium is what's needed.

I love that about the tree house and all, but my brother was out there catching frogs and minnows and such and turned into a teen who was really into psychic abilities and the paranormal, he claims he has psychic abilities now at thirty something. He could have but he doesn't choose to share them with me. My mother read the book so your child is psychic when he was a kid or something like that. I have a problem with kids who think there psychic and the grownups just go gaga over them and exploit them on TV like that one show about kids who seen ghosts. While I beleive there are psychic powers and children are ripe for abiltites, I don't think a big deal should be made of it all because what if we have a child who is simply delusional and we are encouraging it? As for psi balls and all that, what in the world is that all about? And all the kids coming on here, with this ability and all, its sad when it's not true. But we don't know what's true or not with out proof.

The psi-ball thing came about when the Dragonball franchise came out in the 70's. Who knows if it has a basis in reality. I don't see it, but you never know. Until all the mysteries of the universe are found, we can never discount the unexplainable.

Unfortunately John Edward has been shown to be a fraud. And an egotistical one as well.

Nor would it be called a gift. Gift indicates being given something. If someone is born with some kind of ability, it is inborn, not given. You're right about the power part though, it's too domineering.

This all being said why do so many people here have an attitude when they are questioned? If it's one thing I learned analyzing people it's that always become the most defensive when the lie.

The bad part of that is it affects skeptics as well. If someone is truly confident, nothing can break it. I like to challenge holy rollers(those that go house to house to peddle religion) and make them question their own faith. If a person is able to be shaken in their confidence in something they believe in, they didn't really believe in it in the first place. Sadly, most holy rollers don't even know their own religion.

Another common excuse I've heard from alleged psychics or the kids claiming to have powers is that "it's a gift, and I can't use it to show off" or "it's a gift from God and I can't use it for my own personal gain."

Ironic.

A psychic has never won the lottery. And they'll tell you they can't use it for personal gain. So here's a little challenge.... if you claim to be psychic, win the lottery, and donate it to charity. Then you won't be using it for your own personal gain. Anyone care to attempt this?

: D

That would take someone truly selfless and altruistic, and sadly, not a single person is. You come into a truckload of money, and no, you wouldn't give it all away. (unless you're already rich) :tu:

The psi-ball thing came about when the Dragonball franchise came out in the 70's. Who knows if it has a basis in reality. I don't see it, but you never know. Until all the mysteries of the universe are found, we can never discount the unexplainable.

I don't believe in psi-balls for that reason.... but...

In a thread I recently posted about esoteric arts and chi gong, I posted an experience I had when I went to a dojo with a 95 year old master who showed me incredible things.

He did something called chi projection where he put his hands near mine and it began to tingle all the way up my arm after about 40 seconds or so.

This 95 year old man concentrated for a bit and then let me punch him as hard as I could in the stomach... Yeah I broke a couple of bones in my hand and he never moved. I put 220 lbs into that punch and this guy was like a 100-120lb brick wall.

His students and teachers showed me some pretty amazing feats of physical endurance and strength I can only describe as nearly super human in nature.

I would almost be willing to bet after sparring a bit to compare my boxing and kickboxing with a couple of them that anyone of these guys could dominate in MMA. They are so fast and their hits while not looking like much rock you internally... Yeah I got my *ss kicked I couldn't land a kick or punch at all and even with some equipment on the blows traveled through my body... The on I remember in particular was an open palm to the chest that made my chest feel like it was caving in. Never did it hard either.

I believe dragon ball used these types of martial arts as a basis for the show...

Unlike me where I was trained to use body weight and work on physique these 'old' school martial arts like Kung Fu and Tai Chi focus more on technique and mental states achieved through meditation and movements.

I myself have tried providing evidence of my paranormal ability on this forum. I do agree that a lot of people make up abilities, but I also believe it's really not that simple as revealing it to the world, then being rewarded with all this oh, so grand change...I have HONESTLY been extremely tempted to reveal my abilities to the world along with my identity (and indeed, I have giving many successful psychic readings to friends and teachers), however, with that revelation comes a sacrifice; I LOVE being psychic, but if I reveal my identity to the world, it becomes my life; I want paranormality to be APART of my life, NOT to consume it. Right now, I want to build my career...graduate from college, become a language interpreter....travel around the world, translating for thousands of people. Later on in my life, when that is done, then maybe I will try and give more evidence of my abilities, along with my identity.

Keeping my identity secret helps me to accomplish my dreams. I don't have to be pressured to prove this or that at this or that time. I can be part of paranormality when, where, and how I so choose. And I don't want to usher in a world of change in terms of religion and philosophy, just a normal guy who happens to possess abilities. The only big changes I care about right now are about my eventually going to China next year. As far as the lottery goes....I shrug. I don't know why I don't see lottery numbers. Of all my visions, not one of them has EVER been about the lottery. :)

:)

Spoken with the wisdom of the ages. Bravo.