Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientific Proof of the Supernatural

Dave210

No. There isn't.

yes there is

Bruce Bueno de Mesquita is a political scientist, professor at New York University, and senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. He specializes in international relations, foreign policy, and nation building. He is also one of the authors of the selectorate theory.

He has founded a company, Mesquita & Roundell, that specializes in making political and foreign-policy forecasts using a computer model based on game theory and rational choice theory. He is also the director of New York University's Alexander Hamilton Center for Political Economy.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ravergirl

• Dr. Peter Venkman

• Sherapy

• AlexG

yes there is

No. There isn't.

And yay. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita is apparently a political scientist who makes political predictions. What possible relevance could this have?

yes there is

Actually there is a scientific mathmatical formula derived from star observation that is used to predict the future. I forget what is called but apparantly it is used to predict political outcomes of some sort.

What does that have to do with this:

He has founded a company, Mesquita & Roundell, that specializes in making political and foreign-policy forecasts using a computer model based on game theory and rational choice theory. He is also the director of New York University's Alexander Hamilton Center for Political Economy.

Game theory and choice theory have nothing to do with astrology.

Isaac Asimov wrote the The Foundation Series about 7 books I think, that used math to predict the future. He used a form of mathamatics called psychohistory that can predict the future on a large scale but thats all I can really recall as far as math predicting the future. Well besides getting into the stock market that is.

Did you even read that article?

Yes.

I didn't say that the article PROVES a soul, I simply meant that inferring that there is a soul isn't unsubstantiated. I don't control what kind of freakazoids weigh bodies, I only know that one freakazoid weighed bodies, he found something pretty cool.

Yes.

I didn't say that the article PROVES a soul, I simply meant that inferring that there is a soul isn't unsubstantiated. I don't control what kind of freakazoids weigh bodies, I only know that one freakazoid weighed bodies, he found something pretty cool.

Did you read the part at the end, where it says his results shouldn't be taken seriously?

EDIT: Bad experiments with bad data =/= substantiation.

Edited by The One Who Is

No. There isn't.

And yay. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita is apparently a political scientist who makes political predictions. What possible relevance could this have?

What does that have to do with this:

Game theory and choice theory have nothing to do with astrology.

You might could try tapping in to the program that i watched before jumping all over me.

You might could try tapping in to the program that i watched before jumping all over me.

What he is doing is not using "a scientific mathmatical formula derived from star observation that is used to predict the future." I don't need to watch a sensationalist program to know that.

Did I miss your link to it?

Did you read the part at the end, where it says his results shouldn't be taken seriously?

I think so, using a lose definition.

in any case. my personal belief is that the soul is energy...

It also said that the experiments were not consistant and he recieved many different results. I have always been abit skeptical about this claim of a soul wieghing a couple grams.

Did I miss your link to it?

I can't pull a link but you can watch it on the history channel on the 6th at 5pm.

and you are right, HIS isn't from the stars it is from a program, and sorry I was going to sleep when it was on. but his predictions are startingly similay to Nostra(however you spell it)'s star derived predictions.

I can't pull a link but you can watch it on the history channel on the 6th at 5pm.

and you are right, HIS isn't from the stars it is from a program, and sorry I was going to sleep when it was on. but his predictions are startingly similay to Nostra(however you spell it)'s star derived predictions.

Ah, that guy. I saw the preview for the show and thought of Robert Heinlein's Foundation series and Hari Seldon's Psychohistory.

Ah, that guy. I saw the preview for the show and thought of Robert Heinlein's Foundation series and Hari Seldon's Psychohistory.

huh?

sentence fragment.. WHAT?

Assuming that your 'huh?' was about the Foundation series and Psychohistory, I replied that it was science fiction written before you were born.

So Dave, is there any actual evidence to be found, in YOUR opinion, for supernatural activity, or is this a program that tried to validate biblical principles? have you furthured this hypothesis? or is this just hype?

So Dave, is there any actual evidence to be found, in YOUR opinion, for supernatural activity, or is this a program that tried to validate biblical principles? have you furthured this hypothesis? or is this just hype?

It hasn't even been a day yet. Lets give him time. Like I said though, I think he's on here to hype his book. I don't think he should have done so without even conducting his research, regardless of the validity of said research. He simply cannot defend his claims at this time.

So in order for this theory to be even close to entertainable the Sun would firstly have to be "abruptly and completely stopped, and suspended in space" and then "the Earth would break free from the Ecliptic and continue in its upward path and natural rotation." ???

The opening hypothesis starts off with these extraordinary events as a "given"......the sun stopping abruptly and suspended in that spot......but what ever force stopped the Sun's movement doesn't effect the Earth cause it continues with its normal movement to only break free from its ecliptic.

Sounds like another example of a religious person trying to reconcile their beliefs with contradictory scientific facts.

When you take evidence and draw conclusions from it , that is scientific. When you form a conclusion and then try to find evidence to support it, that is shoe-fitting.

I'm sure your book will be a hot seller.......in specific circles.

prior to the hypothesis he says he has a 'hunch".....IMO this is yet another contingent clause that religion is remarkably adept at ..since they don't know lets make it up and use ' blind faith' as the cohesive anchor....

prior to the hypothesis he says he has a 'hunch".....IMO this is yet another contingent clause that religion is remarkably adept at ..since they don't know lets make it up and use ' blind faith' as the cohesive anchor....

faith is cohesive?

faith is cohesive?
........ ..

isn't it? within the context i am framing it?

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

........ ..

isn't it? within the context i am framing it?

well I don't even know if 'blind faith' is appropriate at all. Is there non biblical documentation of an eclipse on the date of Jesus' death? is there non biblical documentation of an earthquake on that date? and is there non biblical documentation of damage to a Jewish temple on that date?

if there is then 'blind faith' is hardly an appropropriate phrase.

Is there geological evidence? and would an eclipse fit into that time frame?

I think so, using a lose definition.

in any case. my personal belief is that the soul is energy...

the question is what is good evidence?