Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do salmon use magnetic fields to migrate ?

UM-Bot

news icon rSalmon and some species of sea turtle migrate vast distances back to the places they hatched in order to reproduce.

But how they actually complete such difficult voyages across seemingly empty, featureless expanses of ocean without getting lost has baffled scientists for generations.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• BaneSilvermoon

• www375

• Sag!ttarius

Pretty sure they proved this some years ago, at least it was in the news and on the discovery channel like ten years ago.

Edited by ofnature

well this certainly explains why I keep finding salmon in my magnetic underpants

in your pants??? something smells fishy ... hope it is not you.

Very sorry for the sarcastic stupid remark ... I could not help it. :hmm:

This is not new. They have known this for a while. It has been shown to not be the most accurate and is only suitable to get to a vague area.

Not that it would be shocking if it was new, even we have a degree of magneto reception.

well this certainly explains why I keep finding salmon in my magnetic underpants

I have one word for you, my man..........................Tide :lol:

Couldn't care less how they find their way. As long as they keep finding their way on my BBQ, stuffed with onions and mustard in a tin foil, I'm happy... :lol:

They've been seeing Great Whites making enormous journeys along the Pacific as well. What I've never seen described in any of these studies though is how the animals track their own movements. For example with this article. It talks about it as if it's as simple as the animal recognizing their home location. I'm sure there's more to it than that but I never see it mentioned in detail.

I mean, I can memorize my address as well as I want. But if you drive me a few thousand miles away the only way I'm going to find my own way home is if I just happen to end up back in an area I recognize. (or stop and buy a map)

For some reason, I'm picturing those silver pants MC Hammer wore in the day. :ph34r:

They've been seeing Great Whites making enormous journeys along the Pacific as well. What I've never seen described in any of these studies though is how the animals track their own movements. For example with this article. It talks about it as if it's as simple as the animal recognizing their home location. I'm sure there's more to it than that but I never see it mentioned in detail.

I mean, I can memorize my address as well as I want. But if you drive me a few thousand miles away the only way I'm going to find my own way home is if I just happen to end up back in an area I recognize. (or stop and buy a map)

Well sharks have ampulae of lorenzini which detect electrical fields and it is believed that from this they can detect the elctromagnetic field. This generally explains why sharks are such excellent navigators (and a lot of sharks cover massive distances).

Figured you'd be the one to reply to that :tu: Thank you sir