Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Oprah cause the economic crash ?

UM-Bot

Oh My gosh, Im not sure how to respond. Blaming a book and Oprah for the state of the economy... oh my gosh.... no no no.. What is the matter with this Phillip Tilly, that is the silliest thing iv ever heard really....

i should add this under the forum General off topic discussion, under the post "People are dumb - Stupid things you have heard other people say"

:td:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oen Anderson

• MID

• conspiracybeliever

• Lt_Ripley

Oprah is surrounded with a full staff of advisers that tell her the trends. She's not the mastermind that many believe her to be. I wouldn't call her "weak minded" but some of the things she promotes would somewhat attest to that. The "weak minded" are really her many followers or whatever trend the media pushes. In fact, Obama has both Oprah and the media to thank. Fewer and fewer people have any identity to speak of, nor do they bother to aspire to an identity and a great deal of those who do tend to be narcissistic which isn't good either. (No, I'm not calling Oprah narcissistic).

I'm not so sure that Oprah is influence enough to sway a nation but the fact remains, when she talks, people jump! Many, many people.

Edited by jbondo

Oprah is surrounded with a full staff of advisers that tell her the trends. She's not the mastermind that many believe her to be. I wouldn't call her "weak minded" but some of the things she promotes would somewhat attest to that. The "weak minded" are really her many followers or whatever trend the media pushes. In fact, Obama has both Oprah and the media to thank. Fewer and fewer people have any identity to speak of, nor do they bother to aspire to an identity and a great deal of those who do tend to be narcissistic which isn't good either. (No, I'm not calling Oprah narcissistic).

I'm not so sure that Oprah is influence enough to sway a nation but the fact remains, when she talks, people jump! Many, many people.

she's not the mastermind ? She didn't have her world handed to her by birth like Bush or the Kennedys. She built it . One foot in front of the other. She didn't have advisors when she went to collage , became a journalist and was told by peers she'd never make it . She started of on the lowest rung , to in front of the camera on a local show where she connected with an audience. You can't have advisors do that. You either connect or you don't . She invested wisely and started her own production company. She does run her businesses. Although with all the balls in the air she has going I'm sure she has help now.

Here's the point ................ Bush had advisors too when he ran various businesses . Like Harken Energy that failed yet he managed to sell all his stock before it did which was suggested as illegal ( martha stewart did the same and ended in jail) but the case was quietly dropped for bush.

or failed Spectrum 7 Energy Corp or Arbusto ? and his latest .... the USA.

Weak minded would have been those who voted twice for him with that track record.

In the end why do so many , especially men it seems . hate/dislike/get angry over Oprah ? only 2 reasons I can see - jealousy and/or fear of strong opinionated women. plain and simple. If it's another reason please share.

ps - interesting fact - her life and business dealings as a ceo has been studied in various business schools. at Harvard no less .

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5214.html

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I'm a woman and I don't hate/dislike or get angry over Oprah. Well sometimes I get angry at Oprah. Because as I said previously she's so full of herself now. I don't think she's a genius, financial or otherwise. I think she's a very intelligent woman that made some good decisions. I think she did have help getting where she is. I think she had a lot of connections or made them on the way up. I think a lot of it is luck, being in the right place at the right time, etc. And I know she always says she doesn't believe in luck but I think a lot of her success has been luck.

This was the best read EVER!

Oprah caused the worse financial catastrophe since the Great D?¿...LMFAO!!!

Just as well, we already know Dick Chaney is an alein, Elvis is still alive, and there are Bigfoot on Mars. Why not Oprah pushing America to its knees?!

I'm not entirely surprised by this article, after all, in Tilleys book he outright called Oprah the Anti-Christ, or an Anti-Christ. This he said he got because in an interview with a magazine the reporter asked Oprah what religion she was. Oprah said she created her own religion. Then she went further to say she was not a Christian and in fact her beliefs were anti-Christian, which is proven by her belief in magic like the secret pushes. In Christianity, the use of magic is a sin. Tilley suggested that how can one be anti-Christian unless they are also anti-Christ? Now, using that logic that would make literally millions of anti-Christs, many of us among them. The difference is the other anti-Christs don't have 20 million people listening to them for an hour a day 260 days a year. Heck, half the countries on Earth don't have 20 million people, which makes Oprah more powerful than the leaders of half the Nations on Earth. Is she powerful? You better believe it. To say anything bad about Oprah you don't have to be jealous of her money or success, but you do have to have a pair of brass ones! My hat is off to anyone who can think for themselves and calls it like they see it. Someone has to say the King has no cloths or Oprah could be partly to blame for the faltering economy.

time to get out the tin foil hats and hip waders

linked-image

You'll want the overall ones... I've found when you dip too low in those you get a case of cold, wet nuts. Ah right, you don't have to worry about that :tu: I assure you it was quite unpleasant. :P

This Secret thing is a scam, in my opinion, a cash grab. The ideas in it aren't really that remarkable. If you think you'll succeed, you're more likely to act confident and successful. You're more likely to go for it and make moves. It instills a confidence that realistic thinking can tend to shoot down at times. That seems to be the key factor behind "The Secret"; self confidence. Not sitting around thinking "I want a new car" and then hoping for one to roll up into the driveway for you. More so thinking, "I want a new car" and knowing you can get a new car. You have to get out and work toward it. It's no secret to any smart employer that confident, happy employees are generally more productive than those who are not.

I don't think Oprah had much to do with the current financial situation, if anything. She did promote this book that over simplifies success, but I think she had way more influence on attracting readers to this column than any economic deterioration.

Who influenced you to believe it was the mortgage crisis that is crashing the economy? All the delinquent mortgages could have been paid off six months ago for only $150 billion, so why did the Fed say it needed $700 billion and didn't even use it to pay off those delinquent mortgages? There is more going on here that meets the eye, look deeper!

Where did you get the number of 150 billion from? Say only 1 million loans default. And each loan is for $200,000. Now granted I am just pulling these numbers out of the air, but 1 million times $200,000 is 20 trillion dollars.

The article didn't blame Oprah for the economic crash. It began in the form of a question, then used supporting evidence which as IronGhost pointed out was weak at best. At no point in the article does it say Oprah crashed the economy and not a shred of direct evidence, merely a suggestion. Now Mr. Tilley has influenced you to respond to a statement that was never made, that Oprah crashed the economy. You have to ask yourself that if Tilley can influence someone as intelligent as you with a question and the power of suggestion in an article that takes only two minutes to read, (I timed myself), how much easier is it to influence 20 million bobble heads that tune in to your show for an hour a day every week? I'm going to go out on a limb and say 20 million times easier. I would like to hear your thoughts on this when the daze wears off!

Would you actually like to hear my thoughts?

Try these.

Many news articles, columns, and what-have you state the premise of the piece with a question.

Using a question is device used to state a premise. It is a typical, albeit irritating device. Of course Tilley suggested that she caused the crash...without actually saying it......otherwise, he wouldn't have placed the question to the fore, and we wouldn't be discussing it.

The suggestion is implicit in the format.

Furthermore, Tilley did not in any way influence me, save to have me say that his question , and thereby, the position he was suggesting, was nonsensical, which it is. His evidence was less than weak. He has none. It's a moronic question, leading to a moronic premise...a premise which we happen to be talking about in this thread.

There is no power of suggestion in his article as pertains to me. There is only the prattlings of a mind that has nothing better to do that attempt to have people like you make comments like the above, ignoring the mechanics of journalism, and have other people (well...it appears a vast minority) actually think that Oprah had something to do with the financial crisis.

It is a ludicrous premise, and it most definitely is suggested by including her name in the question.

As to how easy it is to influence 20 million people to tune into a TV show, well, that's easy, if you know how, and Oprah most definitely does know how.

How about you don't bother to comment when your daze wears off...?

My hat is off to anyone who can think for themselves and calls it like they see it. Someone has to say the King has no cloths or Oprah could be partly to blame for the faltering economy.

And, it appears that you buy it as well...

:blink:

check this out:

Opera Winfrey ... Opera Win Free.

Bah!

:hmm:

That's just hilarious - I hope this one was supposed to go in the Jokes section.

And you put this kinda crap - sorry for the expression - on the front page news? Gees.

Oh and by the way, the principles of The Secret, the Law of Attraction, actually do work - I lived by it by many years myself and have a superb life and freedom thanks to this knowledge, long before the book was ever written. The Secret is not the first to mention this age old principle that many successfully live by.

So, if it works for me, I assume it must have worked for a good amount of those 10 millions you mention too. And, I also assume a good amount of those 10 millions never put it in practice. And, in addition I assume that not all those 10 millions went out and took up a bunch of loans just because they had a book telling them they could get rich by wanting it.

What exactly do you base this silly theory on? Where's your statistics, where's the evidence that these people went out and got broke because of taking up loans as a result of buying The Secret?

Really silly.

-EA

Oh and by the way, the principles of The Secret, the Law of Attraction, actually do work - I lived by it by many years myself and have a superb life and freedom thanks to this knowledge, long before the book was ever written. The Secret is not the first to mention this age old principle that many successfully live by.

So, if it works for me, I assume it must have worked for a good amount of those 10 millions you mention too.

dark...

I think it has likely worked for everyone who has been sucessful.

Whether they know it or not!

How can Oprah be an influence on working people? I rarely watch because I'm always working the normal day shift.

Where did you get the number of 150 billion from? Say only 1 million loans default. And each loan is for $200,000. Now granted I am just pulling these numbers out of the air, but 1 million times $200,000 is 20 trillion dollars.

These are the figures from Gerald Celente who runs the Trends Research Institute and Mish Shedlock a registered Investment Adviser. Thanks for asking.

Would you actually like to hear my thoughts?

Try these.

Many news articles, columns, and what-have you state the premise of the piece with a question.

Using a question is device used to state a premise. It is a typical, albeit irritating device. Of course Tilley suggested that she caused the crash...without actually saying it......otherwise, he wouldn't have placed the question to the fore, and we wouldn't be discussing it.

The suggestion is implicit in the format.

Furthermore, Tilley did not in any way influence me, save to have me say that his question , and thereby, the position he was suggesting, was nonsensical, which it is. His evidence was less than weak. He has none. It's a moronic question, leading to a moronic premise...a premise which we happen to be talking about in this thread.

There is no power of suggestion in his article as pertains to me. There is only the prattlings of a mind that has nothing better to do that attempt to have people like you make comments like the above, ignoring the mechanics of journalism, and have other people (well...it appears a vast minority) actually think that Oprah had something to do with the financial crisis.

It is a ludicrous premise, and it most definitely is suggested by including her name in the question.

As to how easy it is to influence 20 million people to tune into a TV show, well, that's easy, if you know how, and Oprah most definitely does know how.

How about you don't bother to comment when your daze wears off...?

The last paragraph of the article states in part, "I wouldn't say Oprah was malicious or intended to crash the economy, she was merely a tool of influence..." The question Tilley posed and the premise of the article prompted you to assume what he was implying was true. That suggests that in the back of your mind you also believe it or you would not have reacted to it. I like the part where you say he suggested it without saying it, again the power of suggestion and influence. I think influence is the real premise of the article. Again you are very intelligent and I apologize if I offended you in any way.

I thought we were still blaming everything on Marilyn Manson.

As much as I hate her,The only thing she did wrong was talking too much and being selfcentered.I think she is about the most fake person there is,She does what she does just to make people think she really cares and she doesnt,its all just to make herself look good.But in no way can she hurt the economy.

The last paragraph of the article states in part, "I wouldn't say Oprah was malicious or intended to crash the economy, she was merely a tool of influence..."

Which implies that she had some influence on the economic decline. I think we're going around in circles here.

The mere mention of Oprah in contextual association with an economic decline for which the mechanics are, or at least should be well known by now, is nonsensical.

The question Tilley posed and the premise of the article prompted you to assume what he was implying was true. That suggests that in the back of your mind you also believe it or you would not have reacted to it.

No, it prompted me to do no such thing. What it prompted me to do was adress the incedulity and nonsensical nature of the premise, which is what I did. To think that in the back of my mind there was some hint that I thought such a ludicrous idea was true is a skewed interpretation at best.

I like the part where you say he suggested it without saying it, again the power of suggestion and influence. I think influence is the real premise of the article.

Of course it is. There's no argument there. Such influences, and the fact that they actualluy have some power over some people, is very distressing in the present age.

Again you are very intelligent and I apologize if I offended you in any way.

Thank you for the kind comments.

And no, you did not offend me, and no offense was taken.

How can Oprah be an influence on working people? I rarely watch because I'm always working the normal day shift.

Well, you know, she is!

Alot of people watch her live (she's on at 4:00 pm eastern), and many I know tape her show and watch it later on after they get home...

Her influence is without dispute. People find ways to watch.

I'm a woman and I don't hate/dislike or get angry over Oprah. Well sometimes I get angry at Oprah. Because as I said previously she's so full of herself now. I don't think she's a genius, financial or otherwise. I think she's a very intelligent woman that made some good decisions. I think she did have help getting where she is. I think she had a lot of connections or made them on the way up. I think a lot of it is luck, being in the right place at the right time, etc. And I know she always says she doesn't believe in luck but I think a lot of her success has been luck.

Interesting is that she might say that her help, and her luck came to her by virtue of her harmonizing her thoughts with her highest aspirations. Thus, she could also say that there is no such thing as luck...that random chance opportunity that just so happens to befall some people. Rather, she could say that luck is a mis-understood thing; that it's actually a manifestation of one's single minded desire, which occurs because of one's own intent--that those who perceive it as "luck" simply haven't come to an understanding, or perhaps cannot accept whatsoever that "luck" is a purposeful and created opportunity which is the result of complete belief in one's self as the originator of one's own reality,.and the application of a steadfast, single-minded pattern of thought and behavior in harmony with one's highest aspirations.

In this, she would be espousing aspects of "The Secret", and I'd bet she would indeed say just what I said. Further, she would expect ridicule, and disagreement....but also, complete agreement by the many, many people who have realized that their success in life could be explained by the same premise, and have.

A topic for some discussion, I should think!

Oh My gosh, Im not sure how to respond. Blaming a book and Oprah for the state of the economy... oh my gosh.... no no no.. What is the matter with this Phillip Tilly, that is the silliest thing iv ever heard really....

i should add this under the forum General off topic discussion, under the post "People are dumb - Stupid things you have heard other people say"

:td:

I think you are right, the economic crash is much bigger than Oprah! Okay, pun intended. I thought it was funny.

I see many who think she is selfish ( as if most here are not ? ) or somehow didn't make who she is today needs to do a bit of research . Opinions are fine but uneducated ones just make you look bad. .. yet I don't see the Bush family or the Kennedys' financing schools or after school programs privately. As for where she's at ? She did the footwork. She didn't have 'Daddy' like someone else did to get him into positions .

Do I watch Oprah ? no. I'm too busy too. But I'm not jealous of her money or success either. I only think it pathetic when someone is born with it all and then states they 'worked ' for it.

No doubt the woman has flaws , we all do.

Charity biography

Oprah founded Oprah’s Angel Network to encourage people to make a positive difference in the lives of others.

Oprah signed a wooden dog bone for an auction benefitting the Mississippi Animal Rescue League.

Oprah gave 300 members of her audience $1000 each to donate to a charity of their choice.

Winfrey helped design and signed a pair of shoes for the Stuart Weitzman charity shoe auction benefiting ovarian cancer awareness and research.

Causes supported

Abuse, Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, AIDS, Animals, Cancer, Children, Creative Arts, Disaster Relief, Economic/Business Support, Education, Environment, Family/Parent Support, Health, Human Rights, Hunger, Miscellaneous, Peace, Poverty, Rape/Sexual Abuse, Women

Our advice on how to contact celebrities »

Charities supported

Oprah has supported the following charities:

* Charlize Theron African Outreach Project

* Clinton Foundation

* Elevate Hope Foundation

* Free The Children

* Heifer International

* Mississippi Animal Rescue League

* Mpilonhle

* Oprah's Angel Network

* Project Cuddle