Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Oprah cause the economic crash ?

UM-Bot

I see many who think she is selfish ( as if most here are not ? ) or somehow didn't make who she is today needs to do a bit of research . Opinions are fine but uneducated ones just make you look bad. .. yet I don't see the Bush family or the Kennedys' financing schools or after school programs privately. As for where she's at ? She did the footwork. She didn't have 'Daddy' like someone else did to get him into positions .

Do I watch Oprah ? no. I'm too busy too. But I'm not jealous of her money or success either. I only think it pathetic when someone is born with it all and then states they 'worked ' for it.

No doubt the woman has flaws , we all do.

Charity biography

Oprah founded Oprah’s Angel Network to encourage people to make a positive difference in the lives of others.

Oprah signed a wooden dog bone for an auction benefitting the Mississippi Animal Rescue League.

Oprah gave 300 members of her audience $1000 each to donate to a charity of their choice.

Winfrey helped design and signed a pair of shoes for the Stuart Weitzman charity shoe auction benefiting ovarian cancer awareness and research.

Causes supported

Abuse, Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, AIDS, Animals, Cancer, Children, Creative Arts, Disaster Relief, Economic/Business Support, Education, Environment, Family/Parent Support, Health, Human Rights, Hunger, Miscellaneous, Peace, Poverty, Rape/Sexual Abuse, Women

Our advice on how to contact celebrities »

Charities supported

Oprah has supported the following charities:

* Charlize Theron African Outreach Project

* Clinton Foundation

* Elevate Hope Foundation

* Free The Children

* Heifer International

* Mississippi Animal Rescue League

* Mpilonhle

* Oprah's Angel Network

* Project Cuddle

* V-Day

* Women for Women International

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/103-oprah

I don't think Oprah is really the issue here, the premise of the article as I see it is influence. Tilley took a high profile celebrity, Oprah, and used an exagerated example to make the point that influence is a tool of the money matrix. That's what I get out of it. The article never says Oprah crashed the economy, it only begs the question to get our attention, then Oprah is used as a "tool" to show how influence can affect the masses. Oprah may be good or bad but she is not the issue, only the tool. That's how I see it anyway.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oen Anderson

• MID

• conspiracybeliever

• Lt_Ripley

EVIL OPRAH WILL DOOM US ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D AND THEN REIGN SUPREME OVER ALL OF MANKIND :lol:

Doubt she is that influential . America being "windgat" is what caused the economic collapse . (Meaning America being arrogant and ignoring the rules of a market economy caused the economic collapse )

EVIL OPRAH WILL DOOM US ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D AND THEN REIGN SUPREME OVER ALL OF MANKIND :lol:

Doubt she is that influential . America being "windgat" is what caused the economic collapse . (Meaning America being arrogant and ignoring the rules of a market economy caused the economic collapse )

Tilley did an article a few months ago called "2012 and the Economy" in which he claims the economic crisis has been deliberatly engineered by the monied elite. If he is correct this crisis will get worse until total collapse of the economy in 2012. Maybe Americans are more ignorant than arrogant. Most people ignore Tilley but the guy has been consistently correct right down to the housing crisis and the Government buying into banks and businesses.

Tilley did an article a few months ago called "2012 and the Economy" in which he claims the economic crisis has been deliberatly engineered by the monied elite. If he is correct this crisis will get worse until total collapse of the economy in 2012. Maybe Americans are more ignorant than arrogant. Most people ignore Tilley but the guy has been consistently correct right down to the housing crisis and the Government buying into banks and businesses.

Sorry , but I don't buy into the conspiracy thing. The housing market collapse was inevitable and anyone with half a brain would have seen it coming . You cannot lend money to without doing good credit checks. America probably needs a new credit act like in South Africa . If it was'nt for that act our economy might have gone down the drain sooner than I predicted.

South African economy will collopase between 2014 and 2017 . It takes about 20 years for an African country to collapse after independance.

America needs to wake up raise taxes and pay of their debt or their in real trouble . An so the world. They are the defenders of freedom and democracy and the only country standing between China , Russia(to a lesser extent) and the terrorists destroying our Society of democracy and freedom.

An so the world. They are the defenders of freedom and democracy and the only country standing between China , Russia(to a lesser extent) and the terrorists destroying our Society of democracy and freedom.

Did I just here that come from someone that isn't American? :o

It sounds to me like this guy is attempting to create a blame for the current (and rather complex) economic situation in places which are everywhere but where it actually lies. One wonders if he actually studies the matter beyond his illusions of a "monied elite" and speculations about Oprah's influence...

This entire conceptual paradigm of the rich being somehow evil is absolutely astounding...

The origin is in a single place: The Congress of the United States, that august, 8% approval-rating body of inept "representatives" which hasn't done its job in well over a decade, and which caused the problem we see today, entirely.

Further effects we've seen profoundly in the past few months. 2012 is an easy year to use, because if proposed policies are implemented by the incoming administration, with the concurrence of the Congress (which is a no brainer), we'll see 2010 as the year when the Congress takes a radical shift for the better, and the Obama administration is lame duck. In 2012, Obama's 4 years as president will come to an end, and his political career will be essentially over, and we'll be able to fix the situation once and for all.

However, based on Obama's economic advisory team picks (save a token Democrat or two that are there for show), and his silence on his campaign positions and promises, one can be assured that he may well be developing plans to completely p*** off Reid and Pelosi, by doing the right thing...at least economically in-part. If so, and we can all only hope this is what the current situation with him means, he will be acting in his own best interest, as well as that of the country.

As I've said before, this guy's not dumb. Pelosi and Reid are...but Obama has more savvy, whatever his record is. If he plays his cards right, he may alienate the left wing of his party, but he'll gain huge favor with the American people. If he doesn't do that...he'll be a Carter...four years of ignominy followed by a rousing, career ending defeat, and all he'll have at the age of 51, lifetime Secret Service protection...and alot of years to contemplate what the first black President of the United States could've done.

He knows full well what Joe the Plumber meant to his future. He also knows full well what the market crash in the days following his election clearly indicated.

I'd be willing to bet that he's got plans up his sleeve, and is being vehemently advised regarding them, and that he may well surprize many of us...

This is not to say that the Supreme court may not go completely to hell under his watch, nor that we'll be drilling for oil in America in the next four years, even though we should be. But I have the strangest suspicion that his economic policies (vis-a-vis marginal rate increases, capital gains increases, and other taxes), are being re-formulated to conform what what his advisors, and hopefully he, through intense study and learning, have come to realize is actually beneficial for the economy of the Unites States, and the world as a whole.

It's not Oprah, nor the "monied elite". And, it's not President Bush. It's the Congress who caused this.

The fact that they are the one's who are trying to "fix" it is distressing in extremis....but those are the facts. Obama is being very quiet, and I think there's something hopeful, at least a little, in that fact.

In large part, listening to Tilley is like listening to someone who talks incessantly from a skewed and irrelevant perspective, and interferes with a pertinent conversation that others are engaging in.

It sounds to me like this guy is attempting to create a blame for the current (and rather complex) economic situation in places which are everywhere but where it actually lies. One wonders if he actually studies the matter beyond his illusions of a "monied elite" and speculations about Oprah's influence...

This entire conceptual paradigm of the rich being somehow evil is absolutely astounding...

The origin is in a single place: The Congress of the United States, that august, 8% approval-rating body of inept "representatives" which hasn't done its job in well over a decade, and which caused the problem we see today, entirely.

Further effects we've seen profoundly in the past few months. 2012 is an easy year to use, because if proposed policies are implemented by the incoming administration, with the concurrence of the Congress (which is a no brainer), we'll see 2010 as the year when the Congress takes a radical shift for the better, and the Obama administration is lame duck. In 2012, Obama's 4 years as president will come to an end, and his political career will be essentially over, and we'll be able to fix the situation once and for all.

However, based on Obama's economic advisory team picks (save a token Democrat or two that are there for show), and his silence on his campaign positions and promises, one can be assured that he may well be developing plans to completely p*** off Reid and Pelosi, by doing the right thing...at least economically in-part. If so, and we can all only hope this is what the current situation with him means, he will be acting in his own best interest, as well as that of the country.

As I've said before, this guy's not dumb. Pelosi and Reid are...but Obama has more savvy, whatever his record is. If he plays his cards right, he may alienate the left wing of his party, but he'll gain huge favor with the American people. If he doesn't do that...he'll be a Carter...four years of ignominy followed by a rousing, career ending defeat, and all he'll have at the age of 51, lifetime Secret Service protection...and alot of years to contemplate what the first black President of the United States could've done.

He knows full well what Joe the Plumber meant to his future. He also knows full well what the market crash in the days following his election clearly indicated.

I'd be willing to bet that he's got plans up his sleeve, and is being vehemently advised regarding them, and that he may well surprize many of us...

This is not to say that the Supreme court may not go completely to hell under his watch, nor that we'll be drilling for oil in America in the next four years, even though we should be. But I have the strangest suspicion that his economic policies (vis-a-vis marginal rate increases, capital gains increases, and other taxes), are being re-formulated to conform what what his advisors, and hopefully he, through intense study and learning, have come to realize is actually beneficial for the economy of the Unites States, and the world as a whole.

It's not Oprah, nor the "monied elite". And, it's not President Bush. It's the Congress who caused this.

The fact that they are the one's who are trying to "fix" it is distressing in extremis....but those are the facts. Obama is being very quiet, and I think there's something hopeful, at least a little, in that fact.

In large part, listening to Tilley is like listening to someone who talks incessantly from a skewed and irrelevant perspective, and interferes with a pertinent conversation that others are engaging in.

I'm curious, did you read Tilleys article on 2012 and the Economy, or are your opinions based on the comment I made? If you didn't read his article, please do and then let me know your thoughts on it spacifically. Thank you.

I don't think Oprah is really the issue here, the premise of the article as I see it is influence. Tilley took a high profile celebrity, Oprah, and used an exagerated example to make the point that influence is a tool of the money matrix. That's what I get out of it. The article never says Oprah crashed the economy, it only begs the question to get our attention, then Oprah is used as a "tool" to show how influence can affect the masses. Oprah may be good or bad but she is not the issue, only the tool. That's how I see it anyway.

true ........ yet Rush Limbaugh , O'Rielly , Olberman . Rathers. the View . ect.......... are all influences. For example , how many believed Obama was a muslim ? lots of 'tools ' out there.

America needs to wake up raise taxes and pay of their debt or their in real trouble

like it or not that's the truth.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

America needs to wake up raise taxes and pay of their debt or their in real trouble . An so the world. They are the defenders of freedom and democracy and the only country standing between China , Russia(to a lesser extent) and the terrorists destroying our Society of democracy and freedom.

I would disagree, regarding raising taxes.

We do indeed need to wake up, but the last time we woke up by raising taxes we plunged into a huge recession.Paying off debt has never been done by raising taxes. Raising taxes has only ever provided further debt through government spending, and caused huge job losses.

The way to pay off the debt is to obtain a Congress and a President who pledge to shrink spending, and take action to do it. They must also reduce taxes in order to produce greater government revenues through increased GDP, which will, with reduced spending and smaller government, reduce the debt effectively, and create jobs.

There is no other manner in which this can be accomplished.

linked-imagePhillip Tilley: Did Oprah cause the economic crash? It is possible she is at least partly to blame. A year and a half ago the economy was humming along doing fine, consumer confidence was high and so was the stock market. Then Oprah had the author to the book “The Secret” on her program not once but twice to promote it. The Secret uses junk science to convince gullible people they can have whatever they want if they wish it into existence.

Ten million people bought the book and began secretly using the secret to get what they wanted. A new house or car, a big screen TV, and a vacation to Hawaii were all high on the lists of most people. When the secret wasn’t working, they used their credit cards and took out loans and got what they secretly wanted anyway because they believed the secret would secretly send them money to pay for it all so they didn’t worry. They are worried now because there is no money.

Now we are in the midst of an economic crisis. It is no secret that overextending your purchasing power and expecting a miracle will make you go into delinquency, foreclosure, and bankruptcy. I wonder how many of those readers of The Secret would secretly like to sue Oprah and the author of The Secret for influencing them to foolishly destroy their own lives? A real secret is that influence is one of the mechanisms of the money matrix.

If you don’t believe only ten million people could destroy the economy of the U.S. or that Oprah could influence a crisis in the economy I’ll show you how it works.

In 1996 Oprah had a guest talk about Mad Cow on her program and she said something to the effect that she wasn’t going to eat another burger. Texas cattlemen lost $12 million as cattle prices dropped and beef consumption went down. That was just $12 million in Texas. Total loses nation wide were likely $100 million. So in the past, Oprah has had an influence on at least one sector of the economy and if she endorses a book the author becomes a millionaire, count two of influence on the economy.

If you don’t think only 10 million people can crash the economy, consider how few people it takes to elect a President. There are 300 million Americans, half of them are eligible to vote, 150 million. Half of those eligible to vote actually register, 75 million.

On election day half of the registered voters vote, 37.5 million. 51% vote for the winning candidate, 19.25 million. That is only 6.4% of the U.S. population, and only 12.8% of eligible voters. You only need to influence 6.4% of eligible registered voters that actually vote to get elected!

10 million people is only 6.6% of consumers. I wouldn’t say Oprah was malicious or intended to crash the economy, she was merely a tool of influence for the Money Matrix. With the Butterfly Effect, what affects 10 million affects us all. A trail of information leads only to the truth. Wake up people, the money matrix has you.

Phillip Tilley is author of The Money Matrix of the New World Order and other articles.

Actually, if you want to blame anyone for eroding consumer confidence, maybe you should start with the Democratic Party of the United States which has been telling the American people for several years that unemployment is the worst ever, that the economy is in recession for years, that covered up the horrible financial shenanigans that were going on at Freddie mac and Fannie Mae, and that forced financial institutions to make very risky loans to people who had no ability to pay. Oprah has a lot of influence, but not quite as much as political party which controls both houses of Congress.

South African economy will collopase between 2014 and 2017 . It takes about 20 years for an African country to collapse after independance.

I don't know enough about it to dispute your estimates, but in another thread you said SA will collapse in 2010.

So which is it?

Edited by crtDzyn

hmmm sound a bit like hitler here trying to blame someone.

it was greed that brought the economy down and in another 10 or 20 years it will be greed again

I remember a time when the Beatles were blamed for making us a Nation of drug addicts. They had no more influence than Oprah. Twenty-five years latter if you were a drug addict you might be qualified to be Mayor of Washington D.C., or a Congressman, or a President that admits to using cocain or another smoking pot. If you ask a young person today that is hooked on drugs if they were influenced by the Beatles, they say, "Are you crazy, that is a crazy idea"! Oprah has been spreading her brand of influence for about 25 years now. It is possible that it is so ingrained into society that if you ask the question, "Did Oprah cause the economic crash", most people would say, "Are you crazy, that is a crazy idea"!

hmmm sound a bit like hitler here trying to blame someone.

it was greed that brought the economy down and in another 10 or 20 years it will be greed again

Was it greed or was it the money matrix?

When I first read this, I thought it must be meant in jest. Reading through the comments about the author's contempt for Oprah ("Anti-Christ"???... Good Lord!), I must conclude this is meant to be taken seriously. Too bad, because it's one of the most ridiculous, shoddiest bits of analysis I've read this year.

A year and a half ago the economy was humming along doing fine, consumer confidence was high and so was the stock market. Then Oprah had the author to the book “The Secret” on her program not once but twice to promote it.

Anyone who thinks the economy was fine a year and a half ago, must have been drinking the Kool-Aid. The stock market has never rebounded from the tech bubble burst; it has never even caught up to where it was 1998. Even when we technically came out of that recession, we weren't creating enough new jobs to keep up with population growth, and the jobs created were a step back for many Americans with lower wages and worse benefits. Income has been declining, relative to cost of living, for all but the top 2%, throughout the Bush years.

Ten million people bought the book and began secretly using the secret to get what they wanted. A new house or car, a big screen TV, and a vacation to Hawaii were all high on the lists of most people. When the secret wasn’t working, they used their credit cards and took out loans and got what they secretly wanted anyway because they believed the secret would secretly send them money to pay for it all so they didn’t worry.

And the evidence for this is... what? Where's the data on the spending habits of readers of "The Secret" to back a statement like that? Personal debt has been rising and personal savings falling for years -- even throughout the Clinton years, when personal income was growing. From the Wall Street Journal:

The personal savings rate (as a percentage of disposable family income) has been tepid for years, and actually fell below zero in 2006. Since then, it has increased slightly into positive territory. Although this perplexes many economists and policy makers, I see no mystery. The erosion of personal savings is chiefly the result of massive debt creation.

A brief review of debt and savings rates since 1960 shows the correlation. From 1960 to 1990, according to the Federal Reserve, the growth of nonfinancial debt exceeded that of nominal GDP by 1.5 times on average, while the savings rate averaged 9% per year. From 1991 to 2000, debt exceeded the growth of GDP by 1.8 times, while the savings rate averaged 4.7%. Since 2001, debt has grown twice as fast as GDP, while the savings rate has averaged a mere 1.4%. The lesson is clear: If the savings rate is to return to healthy levels, we must put an end to the reckless creation of debt.

Since "The Secret" didn't come out until the end of 2006, and was not featured on Oprah until February of 2007, I really don't see how you can blame a problem of consumer debt that began to exceed income in 1991.

And, I say all this a person who openly loathes "The Secret." I'm on record as never being able to quite forgive Oprah for foisting what I think is a positively dangerous, irresponsible, half-baked philosophy on the public. But wrecking the economy? I think not.

Actually, if you want to blame anyone for eroding consumer confidence, maybe you should start with the Democratic Party of the United States which has been telling the American people for several years that unemployment is the worst ever, that the economy is in recession for years, that covered up the horrible financial shenanigans that were going on at Freddie mac and Fannie Mae, and that forced financial institutions to make very risky loans to people who had no ability to pay. Oprah has a lot of influence, but not quite as much as political party which controls both houses of Congress.

I would tend to agree...

However, I'd place the blame for the mess on Congress as a whole. The Democrats are most certainly the majority, and have been, and are in fact the major problem, but I also think the Republicans, at least the majority of them in Congress today, haven't been effective in demonstrating the problem, or proposing solutions as they should be...

I think their ineffectiveness has been at the root of the last two election cycle's results.

When I first read this, I thought it must be meant in jest. Reading through the comments about the author's contempt for Oprah ("Anti-Christ"???... Good Lord!), I must conclude this is meant to be taken seriously. Too bad, because it's one of the most ridiculous, shoddiest bits of analysis I've read this year.

Anyone who thinks the economy was fine a year and a half ago, must have been drinking the Kool-Aid. The stock market has never rebounded from the tech bubble burst; it has never even caught up to where it was 1998. Even when we technically came out of that recession, we weren't creating enough new jobs to keep up with population growth, and the jobs created were a step back for many Americans with lower wages and worse benefits. Income has been declining, relative to cost of living, for all but the top 2%, throughout the Bush years.

And the evidence for this is... what? Where's the data on the spending habits of readers of "The Secret" to back a statement like that? Personal debt has been rising and personal savings falling for years -- even throughout the Clinton years, when personal income was growing. From the Wall Street Journal:

Since "The Secret" didn't come out until the end of 2006, and was not featured on Oprah until February of 2007, I really don't see how you can blame a problem of consumer debt that began to exceed income in 1991.

And, I say all this a person who openly loathes "The Secret." I'm on record as never being able to quite forgive Oprah for foisting what I think is a positively dangerous, irresponsible, half-baked philosophy on the public. But wrecking the economy? I think not.

Using data from the Federal Reserve is part of the problem since they only release data that doesn't implicate them as the problem. The problem is Federal Reserve note currency which is a Fiat debt based currency(each dollar must be borrowed into existence). Each Federal Reserve note is really someones debt.

Using data from the Federal Reserve is part of the problem since they only release data that doesn't implicate them as the problem. The problem is Federal Reserve note currency which is a Fiat debt based currency(each dollar must be borrowed into existence). Each Federal Reserve note is really someones debt.

Agreed. Our entire financial system is a game of make-believe. We probably should never have gone off the gold standard. We're probably evolving off the monetary system, but this is the price of that transition. A lot of imaginary zeros have gone to money heaven and many more will follow.

Even if Oprah's intention was to encourage everyone who watched her show to buy the book and hoped with all her heart we would use 'the secret.' Wouldn't it be the fault of all the people who actually thought it would work and spent time doing other things instead of just working? It actually escapes me to understand how anyone not willing to make things happen for themselves would be willing spend time doing something so useless.

:huh:

This theory is inherently flawed. The author is assuming that U.S. consumer debt, and only U.S. consumer debt, is responsible for the current recession. This is completely incorrect. While historically high consumer debt levels are certainly significant, there are MANY GLOBAL factors that have caused our current economic environment. Credit, interest rate and banking industry conditions across the globe, subprime saturation, stock market uptick rules, political instability, 30+ years U.S. auto industry mismanagement, etc. etc.

I personally couldn't care less about Oprah or "The Secret". And I've read the book - there's nothing wrong with it if you keep it in perspective. It's just another way of describing cause-effect states of a positive attitude, thinking with success, believing in yourself etc.

But to posit this theory as presented is preposterous. If U.S. presidents do not have much power over influencing economies (and they don't), Oprah surely does not either.

If it proves to be true Oprah Winfrey is the cause of the present crash, it also proves the Americans (the inhabitants of the USA that is) are a gullible lot.

God help us: they are the only left socalled 'super power'.