Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Oprah cause the economic crash ?

UM-Bot

Yeah, and pigs fly.

You must've been asleep. A year and a half ago, the economy was humming along and doing just fine....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oen Anderson

• MID

• conspiracybeliever

• Lt_Ripley

This theory is inherently flawed. The author is assuming that U.S. consumer debt, and only U.S. consumer debt, is responsible for the current recession. This is completely incorrect. While historically high consumer debt levels are certainly significant, there are MANY GLOBAL factors that have caused our current economic environment. Credit, interest rate and banking industry conditions across the globe, subprime saturation, stock market uptick rules, political instability, 30+ years U.S. auto industry mismanagement, etc. etc.

I personally couldn't care less about Oprah or "The Secret". And I've read the book - there's nothing wrong with it if you keep it in perspective. It's just another way of describing cause-effect states of a positive attitude, thinking with success, believing in yourself etc.

But to posit this theory as presented is preposterous. If U.S. presidents do not have much power over influencing economies (and they don't), Oprah surely does not either.

All currencies of the world are linked to the U.S. Federal Reserve Note, so as it goes so goes the world economy. The political instability and industry mismanagement are all controled by the money matrix as is everything in our lives. Don't you see the red haired people?

Yeah, and pigs fly.

Go back to sleep, the money matrix has you!

Being a Capitalist I find it hard to fault Oprah for being clever and making millions of $'s. Isn't it the legions of idiots that listen to her every word and purchase everything she recomends to blame? :unsure: She's lost weight so many times yet gained it all back after promoting weight loss program after program. She tells her audience buy a book and they do it. She says to buy a certain bands c.d. they do it. Now the economy is in the crapper and we blame Oprah. In my opinion as is many peoples opinion, it was a slew of events that caused this economic collapse.

Being a Capitalist I find it hard to fault Oprah for being clever and making millions of $'s. Isn't it the legions of idiots that listen to her every word and purchase everything she recomends to blame? :unsure: She's lost weight so many times yet gained it all back after promoting weight loss program after program. She tells her audience buy a book and they do it. She says to buy a certain bands c.d. they do it. Now the economy is in the crapper and we blame Oprah. In my opinion as is many peoples opinion, it was a slew of events that caused this economic collapse.

Capital is an asset. Since Federal Reserve Notes are a debt based currency, a liability, and our economy is built on this imaginary hinge pin, how can any or us call ourselves Capitalists? That is why it is called the "Money Matrix", we believe we have money when in fact we have debt currency. That my friend is the root cause of the economic collapse. As I said before, I believe Oprah was only a tool in a toolbox of many tools that move the economy closer to the chasm!

wow. the government should use her to swing votes and stuff. like a weapon!

but seriously i agree with you. She's very powerful.

Hey, I could be wrong, but I could swear when this article was first posted it had a picture of Oprah. Now it has a picture of a graph. Is Oprah so powerful that she had UM remove her image from this post?

I disagree with those here who disparage Mr. Tilly. He's an intelligent writer and and innovative thinker that always makes me look at things in a different way.

However, this column makes a lot ofsubtle errors in logic, IMO. For example, people have been abusing credit cards for about 20 years --long before Oprah bolstered the moronic "Secret." By the time Oprah -- who is nothing more than a weak-minded entertainer -- came out for the Secret, we were long on our way to imploding due to spending beyond our means. At best, Oprah may have only nudged a long-term process along -- but I don'tthink she even did that.

Also, the statistical argument about elections is in no way accurate, again, in my opinion. While it may be true that one only has to sway about 6 percent of voters -- you still have to make and effort like you are going after 100% so that you can encompass that group of swing voters.

Politicians don't develop their strategies based on getting that special 6 percent -- they campaign like they are tyring to get 100% -- so to say that you only have to get that small group is all but meaningless.

Even the mad cow example doesn't even cme close to passing the test. A few hundred million in beef sales is chicken feed, even within the paramaters of the beef market. ALso, the market easily recovered after the scare was forgotten.

Remember, we're talking about an economy measured in trillions of dollars -- small changes in individual industries cannot be used as comparisons to the big picture -- you can't take micro examples and make macro conclusions.

Still -- I read Mr. Tilly columns with eagerness every time he brings one out -- he's a great writer and a fascinating thinker.

I guess Tilley has never read the Zen of Oprah! Maybe it's a good time to revisit that lesson?

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that caused our economy to collapse was pure greed. Big business is running the country and the world. Because they are rich we look at them like they are intelligent and everything they do to get rich is intelligent and complicated. It's not. They are just like any ordinary criminal. They have a lot of money and power behind them. Watch Enron, The Smartest Guys in the Room. You'll see what's going on in this country. It's just rich, powerful, greedy theives. That's what caused the economic crash.

Humans will talk themselves into believing anything.
Never! Never! Never have so few words summed up the truth! Good job!

The thing that caused our economy to collapse was pure greed. Big business is running the country and the world. Because they are rich we look at them like they are intelligent and everything they do to get rich is intelligent and complicated. It's not. They are just like any ordinary criminal. They have a lot of money and power behind them. Watch Enron, The Smartest Guys in the Room. You'll see what's going on in this country. It's just rich, powerful, greedy theives. That's what caused the economic crash.

Tilley would say it is not greed but the money matrix that caused the crash. These greedy thieves you speak of are what Tilley calls the monied elite, and he claims they caused the crash as part of a planned conspiracy. He claims in the article that Oprah is only partly to blame, as she was a tool used to heard the unsuspecting where the monied elite wanted them to go. And if Tilley is right, the real crash hasn't even come yet, in his article "2012 and the Economy" he predicts it will crash for good on Dec 21, 2012. Pretty convincing!

naahhh......it is where America is going it just happened that this mishap took smoothly

and fasten the catastrophe of the US......no matter what you say it is the destiny..many americans

ignore this, they live in luxurious life they never think of what the future may come...it is just the billionaires

don't loose rightly they might loose it little by little.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realise Oprah did that. :no: I just thought,"That girls rich, but she is no way nasty." :cry:

Well it is human nature to pass the buck and blame someone else when we mess up..

I believe that secret works just fine. Manifestings what you want in your life though takes time and most people dont want to wait. Throughout my life i have got what i wanted eventually(except for one thing that stubbornly evades me), things that i never thought would happen but they eventually do if your willing to pay the price of time.

I believe that secret works just fine. Manifestings what you want in your life though takes time and most people dont want to wait. Throughout my life i have got what i wanted eventually(except for one thing that stubbornly evades me), things that i never thought would happen but they eventually do if your willing to pay the price of time.

Tilley said in an earlier article that Americans don't want instant gratification anymore because it takes too long!