Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What to do?

SpaceDoll

I dont know if this is a common subject , as Im new to this site, but I have a daughter who sees spirits/ghosts, well so she says to me, my husbands family have this gift too on their side, I didnt really believe in it until I met him, and his family. I was told she would have this ability too. Its only in the last year that I have really noticed her behaviour. she has just turned 3. She mentions ghosts and points them out where ever she is, its just a random thing, like when we came home one day she said look theres a ghost on our roof, she was so sure of herself, and then later that week she saw one in the window of her bedroom crunching at the window. But curtains were closed and it was dark. She sees them at people homes too. I ask her to describe them to me a in every detail possible, like hair colour , eye colour , happy sad, old young, etc. She descibed one spirit to have white shiny hair , and his eyes were black , and he was happy. THen tells me where they go , up in the clouds ,or away in the trees. SHe talks about allsorts curtains shaking ,wind in her room. but i was there and saw nothing.yells thankyou out the front door to nobody. None of this seems to bother her or upset her, she is a happy person. I recently bought her a chalkboard to draw on and she showed me what she had drawn, it was a board full of circles everywhere, I asked her what was this picture, she said my friends. I dont know if this is just a normal 3 year olds imagination or if I should encourage her on the subject, my husband is of no help on the subject. I just want to make sure I get it right. She I just let it be and see if it goes away.

And she only watchs Kids cartoons, Dora, Einsteins etc.

I made up stories when I was 3 too. Fortunately, my mom had the good sense not to take me seriously.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpaceDoll

• Meiliken

• Rickety

• Lord*Kur

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never sensed ghosts/spirits as a child... Maybe it's the imagination... passed down somehow from genes?

IDK...

Do you recall any person she describes from your memories before you had your child?

It's my imagination... sorry. It probably doesn't make sense. xD

Hi, DownSideUp. Your daughter sounds extremely bright and she's as cute as a button! :]

My best advice for you would be to encourage her in any way possible. She needs support, but, if she still has this amazing ability when she gets older, she will need more support even more. Just don't bring her to a psychiatrist because they could label her schitzophrenic, tell you it's hallucinations, etc. She doesn't need to hear that. Just believe in her.

As for the psychic saying that she's an old soul! I would definitely believe that. I've been told I'm an old soul too. She's probably known those spirits in past lives.

Hope I helped! :]

I made up stories when I was 3 too. Fortunately, my mom had the good sense not to take me seriously.

+1

I nearly made this same statement.

do as she-ra suggested, write down as many details as possible. you can also try doing some research to see if you can find any information that would show how accurate what she is saying is.

the biggest problem as she gets older will come from other people not believing her, severe teasing from other kids etc.

I definitely agree with Odd_Christian. Teasing could start when she gets older.

• 2 months later...
:tu: Otherwise you will have a child that doesn't fit in and who believes in fairy tales. Sorry.

Unfortunately that's a bit of a personal bias. Eh to each their own. But I do agree that people should never force anything on a child other than book smarts. The rest will come naturally by being around people.

Well I definately wont be encouraging her in fairytales, and nonsense like humpty dumpty and mary had a little lamb.

its not like im going to dance around her with a tamborine and silk scarf and sing hail the fairies in pixieland.

Whether it is real or not, or just an imagination. will it influence her in her future, if it doesnt go away.

Don't encourage her to believe in fairy tales(santa claus etc.) no, but do encourage her to learn everything she can about everything. Knowledge is power.

Heh, from my experience, most 3 year olds are not that adept at making up stories, unless they're some kind of prodigy. But then it is always possible that her father, and uncles and such gave her the idea. Never really can tell, but it might be possible.

My advice is just let her be, do not encourage or discourage, take a neutral stance. If you are a natural skeptic then you might discourage which if it is just her imagination would be quashing it. That in my mind is disastrous. If you are a natural believer then you might encourage and begin making what she sees seem important. Asking about every detail and such might also prove disastrous if she sees that she gets attention doing so then would just make stuff up to get more of your attention.

Children most of all need attention and it is up to adults to give them proper attention with 'proper' being defined as not allowing them to manipulate you just to get that attention.

Being neutral to me to me means explaining to her that most people cannot see things so that she should not discuss them with others but that you do not mind hearing about them but reassuring her in a way that she knows you are open, not that she gets extra attention, so that means do not get to excited or show too much emotion.

A child needs to be able to imagine things and also needs to know what the culture views as normal reality. A balance has to be maintained and it is up to them as they grow up to decide if they will maintain the balance, or become a skeptic, or a believer. Once they understand the difference between imagination and reality then there is no harm entering their fairyscapes and playlands for a time to bond.

As you can see most of my post assumes she is imagining and there is nothing more fantastic than that in my mind. It seems she already knows what ghosts are so that kind of makes it harder to know if she actually sees something or is using imagination or even just saying such for your attention. If she had never had the concept of ghosts explained to her and was saying she sees this or that then there would be less confusion on your part as to what she is experiencing. From all you said it sounds like someone has made known to her the concept of ghosts and she is using part imagination and part craving for your attention. As the parent only you can assess which one it is, if you are already giving her lots of attention then it might not be attention cravings, if you do not then this might be exactly the reason.

On the other hand I myself do believe that some but not all children and animals are more open to the supernatural and can really see things adults cannot, at least adults who suppress their abilities as they enter the world we define as reality, so letting her be her without encouraging or discouraging, in time you will know if it is just her imagination or an actual ability.

Edited by Rosewin

She has a wonderful gift. Most children have this but they lose it by time they learn to talk.

She seems to have kept on to it for what reason we don't know but she will probably learn to use it in her adult hood.

I would not discourage this in no way as my father did with me and my brothers the thing is we still seen them but we learned to fear them instead of relizing it was a gift we had we learned to hide it and keeping it in was not good. so let her talk about it let her tell you.

But also stress to her that it is not something she should tell every one just you and your husband perhaps grandparents if they believe but not other kids and if you are in public let her now she should not talk about it around other people. just so they don't judge and it can get her into trouble at school when she starts as teachers will think she needs counseling.

she does not need counseling but the world does not believe in this type of things so the label us.

my brother and I are going through this with our boys his see more than mine but they both see. they are older 9 and 11 but we are trying to teach them we just don't talk about it with friends. but we are open with them about it because with us we seen but our Father told us we were crazy and to not tell anyone because they would lock us up. so it has taken years for us to finally realize we are not crazy we just see more than some.

don't be scare when she tells you either. there are many with us at all times our angels and guardians. and some we don't want with us but that is just how it is and we need to learn to not fear them that is something I'm struggling with myself right now.

Edited by Lewys

I dont know if this is a common subject , as Im new to this site, but I have a daughter who sees spirits/ghosts, well so she says to me, my husbands family have this gift too on their side, I didnt really believe in it until I met him, and his family. I was told she would have this ability too. Its only in the last year that I have really noticed her behaviour. she has just turned 3. She mentions ghosts and points them out where ever she is, its just a random thing, like when we came home one day she said look theres a ghost on our roof, she was so sure of herself, and then later that week she saw one in the window of her bedroom crunching at the window. But curtains were closed and it was dark. She sees them at people homes too. I ask her to describe them to me a in every detail possible, like hair colour , eye colour , happy sad, old young, etc. She descibed one spirit to have white shiny hair , and his eyes were black , and he was happy. THen tells me where they go , up in the clouds ,or away in the trees. SHe talks about allsorts curtains shaking ,wind in her room. but i was there and saw nothing.yells thankyou out the front door to nobody. None of this seems to bother her or upset her, she is a happy person. I recently bought her a chalkboard to draw on and she showed me what she had drawn, it was a board full of circles everywhere, I asked her what was this picture, she said my friends. I dont know if this is just a normal 3 year olds imagination or if I should encourage her on the subject, my husband is of no help on the subject. I just want to make sure I get it right. She I just let it be and see if it goes away.

And she only watchs Kids cartoons, Dora, Einsteins etc.

Hi Downsideup, when i logged in to this website i opened many links to different topics but when i started browsing them one by one i realized i was closing them very fast one by one because i was getting bored and disinterested with the stories but on you topic my heart bit faster and i even registered so that i could reply to you.

I would love if you emailed me so that we could discuss details but may i take this opportunity to tell you your child is right. You say yours is three years, i was around 5years when i had the same case, now i am 24 years but i still remember some of the things i saw and some fit in one of the description you have given as per your child's comments. Should you be afraid?......mmh..........it depends, please send me a mail, kmuishjnr@yahoo.com

i'll be glad to share out more. Cheers.

My son is now 15 and has been able to see spirits his whole life, he's also and empath (which is a whole other set of issues). Some he was afraid of and some he was curious about. When he was 3/4 he'd ask us 'who is that man standing by the tree?', and no one but him could see him, but yet he'd describe people wearing clothes from different eras etc. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have encouraged him more and taught him how discern different spirits. One thing I would have taught him was how to protect him self and that not all spirits are good spirits. Another thing I would have taught him when he was younger was that he should ask that the spirits he encounter be sent to the light as there are many who need help. Now, he know to send spirits to the light and how to protect himself (it was a learning process for both of us). Every now and again when he encounters a stubborn sprits he'll tell me about it...kinda like a guy who would wake him up at night or come and visit him in his bedroom and talk to him. He woudl tell him that he was killed (younger guy in his 20's) and that he was still looking for the person who killed him, etc) and that there were some things he wanted to do besides that he was afraid to go to the light. Eventually he was talked over, but it took several months.

People who can see and hear spirits are like beacons to the dead...they flock to the people they know can see and hear them. This caused some problems in school as he was always distracted by the spirits who would come and see and talk to him while in class. I didn't know this was going on until he started failing school in the 2nd and 3rd grade. The school tried to say he was ADD and because I refused to put him on meds they did some other testing on him to try to figure out how to best help him. It came out in the testing that he said he heard voices...of course they asked him if the voices told him to hurt people or himself and he said no. That was good enough for them and luckily the counselor at the school was excited and said that she wished she would have gone into paranormal psychology. But, until that point, I didn't realize he was being bothered at school. Once it was figured out, we were able to do something about it and his grades gradually went up.

When my son was younger I did tell him that not everyone had the ability to do and see the things he could and becuase of that it made some people afraid. Therefore it was better if he didn't talk about it to people unless they talked about it to him first.

What you choose to do regarding your daughter is personal preference. Either you can try to get her to shut it down, or you can learn and teach her how to use her gift to help herself and others along the way.

My son is now 15 and has been able to see spirits his whole life, he's also and empath (which is a whole other set of issues). Some he was afraid of and some he was curious about. When he was 3/4 he'd ask us 'who is that man standing by the tree?', and no one but him could see him, but yet he'd describe people wearing clothes from different eras etc. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have encouraged him more and taught him how discern different spirits. One thing I would have taught him was how to protect him self and that not all spirits are good spirits. Another thing I would have taught him when he was younger was that he should ask that the spirits he encounter be sent to the light as there are many who need help. Now, he know to send spirits to the light and how to protect himself (it was a learning process for both of us). Every now and again when he encounters a stubborn sprits he'll tell me about it...kinda like a guy who would wake him up at night or come and visit him in his bedroom and talk to him. He woudl tell him that he was killed (younger guy in his 20's) and that he was still looking for the person who killed him, etc) and that there were some things he wanted to do besides that he was afraid to go to the light. Eventually he was talked over, but it took several months.

People who can see and hear spirits are like beacons to the dead...they flock to the people they know can see and hear them. This caused some problems in school as he was always distracted by the spirits who would come and see and talk to him while in class. I didn't know this was going on until he started failing school in the 2nd and 3rd grade. The school tried to say he was ADD and because I refused to put him on meds they did some other testing on him to try to figure out how to best help him. It came out in the testing that he said he heard voices...of course they asked him if the voices told him to hurt people or himself and he said no. That was good enough for them and luckily the counselor at the school was excited and said that she wished she would have gone into paranormal psychology. But, until that point, I didn't realize he was being bothered at school. Once it was figured out, we were able to do something about it and his grades gradually went up.

When my son was younger I did tell him that not everyone had the ability to do and see the things he could and becuase of that it made some people afraid. Therefore it was better if he didn't talk about it to people unless they talked about it to him first.

What you choose to do regarding your daughter is personal preference. Either you can try to get her to shut it down, or you can learn and teach her how to use her gift to help herself and others along the way.

Spoken like a true sage. :tu:

• 10 months later...

I have finally come back to read this post, and its very helpful.My daughter is now 4 and her ability/awareness it still there as she wishes. I could probably write a book from all the things she has told me, but who would want to read it.they probably woulndt believe it and will it be of any use. I guess that I have learnt the most from understanding and finding out what this all means.

I have finally come back to read this post, and its very helpful.My daughter is now 4 and her ability/awareness it still there as she wishes. I could probably write a book from all the things she has told me, but who would want to read it.they probably woulndt believe it and will it be of any use. I guess that I have learnt the most from understanding and finding out what this all means.

It is hard to appreciate what these things mean when you are up close and person as you are. I am involved in a number of relationships with gifted children and teens. I would like to write my own book about some of these experiences. In truth I can not present some of them without disturbing family members who do not wish to accept realities beyond their comprehension.

There is a bigger picture. It involves this generation and the one that follows. It seems that our generation and the next two that follow, are responsible for this shift in consciousness that effects all things everywhere. Kind of mind boggling when you think about it.

My particular focus has been to provide avenues of expression for these abilities with a greater sense of awareness about their potentials. In a my view, these things reflect an aspect of that "return of the divine feminine". Those energies that reside in our instinctual and intuitive sense of awareness. Its goal is integration with our restrictive logical thought processes.

Your 4 year old is one of many on this path.

John

Hi SpaceDoll,

I wouldnt worry at all.

My daughter went through pretty much identical circumstances to your little girl.

I would be interested to know if your daughter had any near death experiences during her life?

My little girl contracted meningitis when she was a month old and died for a few minutes before being revived. Thankfully, after months in hospital, blood transfusions e.t.c, she came out the other side, and is now a happy healthy 7year old.

Even before she could talk, i started to notice she would pay attention to areas of the room e.t.c, that would normally hold no interest to a baby. When she began to talk, she would often point out people that i could not see. At this point, i didnt really take much notice as i thought maybe she was just mixing words up or imagining.

The first time i realised there may be more to it is the night my husbands grandmother died. My husband, my mother in-law and my brother and sisters in-law all travelled down to Sydney (about 800kms away from here) to be with my husbands grandmother as she was dying of brain tumors. I could not go with them as i had my daughter, who was 2 at the time, and we thought it would be too traumatic for her. Anyway, a couple of nights after they left, my daughter woke at about 10.30 at night (not completely unusual for her at that age, both my kids are horrid sleepers!)and started pointing to the blank wall, telling me "look mummy, auntie holly" (holly is my sister in-law). She was also telling me that there was a little boy with a sore leg. It freaked me out a little bit but then i talked myself in to believing that she was just imagining things and she eventually went back to sleep. next morning, my husband called and told me his grandmother passed away the night before, at 10.30. Even then i didnt connect the two, however, i did mention it to my husband and laughed with him about how i got scared for no reason. When they arrived home a few days later after the funeral, my mother in-law told me that my husband had mentioned what my daughter had seen and started asking me about it. As it turns out, my husbands grandmother looked identical to "aunty holly" when she was younger AND she had a brother who died from illness as a child, he had a leg injury which caused him to limp!

I was absolutely gobsmacked! My mother in law was crying tears of joy at the thought that her mother had finally visited my daughter, whom she had never met but desperately wanted to.

From that point on, i listened to everything my daughter told me. She often saw people at random, would quite often tell me things like "mummy, a little girl died here" e.t.c. When she was 3, she saw my husband drinking a beer and said to me "mum, when i used to be an old man, i drank beer... and smoked", unfortunately, when i questioned her more about it, she clammed up and didnt tell me much more about when she was "an old man".

The last major incident was when my dad passed away suddenly in 2005, the night after he died, she said he came to visit her in her room and simply said hello and that he loved her (which at the time annoyed me a little that he didnt give me any real message, since, i have realised that it was a gift that he visited my little girl, as he absolutely doted on her and so i think she deserved to see him more than anyone).

She seemed to just lose the ability after that and only very rarely mentions that she feels, rather than sees, these things.

We didnt really overly encourage her, rather, simply made her understand that we believed her when she told us things. She was never scared of anything she saw and so i dont think that you have to worry about anything :)

My son is quite a bit younger than my daughter (6 years) and we think he is a little miracle too, as it took us about 3 years to conceive him. He has just started displaying similar traits to my daughter and, although he has only just started speaking coherently (he is 16months old), he has already let me know about his little friend, a cat, whom he sees and points out to us every day. My daughter, as far as i know, never saw an animal spirit and so this is a little different and new to us, however, he seems to like his little cat and so i am not worried. He has also pointed out others, but as yet he hasnt identified them by name.

Both my husband and i have keen intuition (knowing if someone is going to drop in for a visit, knowing what the other is thinking, finishing peoples sentences e.t.c) however, nothing that we deem to be psychic. There is no other history of this in our families (as far as we know) and so we have no idea why our kids have this ability. I do think that i have witnessed a spirit on one occasion, however, i would not bet my life that what i saw was a spirit. Other than that, i have had one prophetic dream (there is a post about this here on UM),but have not had any similar incidents since.

Anyway, i know i havent really helped you but at least you know there are others out there who have had similar experience with this.

I wish you and your daughter the best, she is gorgeous :)