Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thylacoleo carnifex

Undeadskeptic

My father dug up a Marsupial Lion jawbone, about a decade ago while on a dig with the Queensland Museum.

That was a fun day.

The jawbone is actually in the QM as part of the display IIRC (well it was last time I was in the museum anyway).

Other then that, it's a fascinating idea.

Have to ask around next time I'm out bush if anyone's had any odd sightings (not that I don't already, but this time it's not just Burranjor or UFOs)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Undeadskeptic

• Stormcrow

• Sir Wearer of Hats

My father dug up a Marsupial Lion jawbone, about a decade ago while on a dig with the Queensland Museum.

That was a fun day.

The jawbone is actually in the QM as part of the display IIRC (well it was last time I was in the museum anyway).

Other then that, it's a fascinating idea.

Have to ask around next time I'm out bush if anyone's had any odd sightings (not that I don't already, but this time it's not just Burranjor or UFOs)

I'd bet it was, was the dig near Brissy? Is there a neaby field? I am trying to plan a trip to Riversleigh, if there is a close site the public can access, Im there!

I am going to the Museum over the festive break with my son, I will look out for that jawbone. Very cool indeed.

Where do you go bush? Do you hunt?

Edited by psyche101

Nice work! And so quick. AND you did this with your eye's squirting blood? Well done. :D I cannot focus when that happens.

Better than nice work, thank you very much indeed!!!

The ear flop I mean appears in some of the frames you have posted. Look closely at the highlighted example, and then the one directly below it, when you wipe your eyes. ANd

when the gif has the black line come down (I assume the start of the animation) it is in a bounce first up - look closely at the head on the second bound.

I thought the gait similar to a greyhounds?

Cannot find a darn animated gif right now, bugger, these illustrate what I mean I think

No more links till you munch out and take a nap missy. :D

Thank you! Admittedly, the blood spurting made it very difficult.

Quick post because it's 8AM and I didn't mean to wake up but I'm still a nutter so I had to check anyway. x)

You're right about the floppy ear bit on the highlighted frame, but I was thinking if the ears were erect then like the tail, being so small in such poor quality they probably wouldn't be as defined as the whole body. In the GIF below, you'll notice the tail is noticeable in only about six of fourteen frames (you'll also see in the frame below the highlighted one where the ears aren't visible, the tail is also missing).

Also! Youtube'd more and found some grayhounds in slow mo--it's the best I could find, but you'll only notice things until the end (just let it load and drag the cursor to about :31. It's pretty boring otherwise, even for being a thirty-seven second video. :lol:).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ETH-SgpKY

Their head dips and picks up noticeably and their spine curves near the flank. The head and body in the GIF below stay pretty horizontal and the legs don't stretch out quite as far--buuuuuut that could just be the quality, rofl.

Yeah, the black bar at the top is apart of the video itself. I meant to stabilize it and take it out, but it was like 1AM and I completely forgot. XD!

(And that second picture is PRICELESS. It should be used on ihashotdog.com.)

Edited by Ebonykrow

Physce, your post is ever-quiker making my belief in Tassie dissapear :lol:

linked-image

Oh. Jesus.

If that things was running at me, I wouldn't move. Running from an angry greyhound is like trying to calm a little person by naming off all the words we use for them, starting at "gnome" and ending at "midjet".

I'd bet it was, was the dig near Brissy? Is there a neaby field? I am trying to plan a trip to Riversleigh, if there is a close site the public can access, Im there!

I am going to the Museum over the festive break with my son, I will look out for that jawbone. Very cool indeed.

It was a while ago, but it was on someone's property.

Outside of Ipswich (about 40 minutes outside).

Do you hunt?

Only mysteries, I'm a vegetarian.

As for where - my uncle has a cattle station outside of Barcaldine.

Other times it's up to Cairns where I have other family.

Wearer of Hats, you do know you are living my dream right? Hunting mysteries in Oz, *sigh* :D

Any unexplained experiences so far?

Wearer of Hats, you do know you are living my dream right? Hunting mysteries in Oz, *sigh* :D

Any unexplained experiences so far?

A couple of "odd sightings in the sky", your traditional "off in the distance, at sunset" animal sighting, being in thick bush with a "something" (something enough to scare the ex-police dog that was with us to whine). Animals tracks of creatures that shouldn't be there...

My father as well has had the odd encounter or two.

His most unnerving was going to a house in the middle of the bush, where the occupant was being terrorised by "something big, and smelly" that left a stain on the stairs that scared her dog, a big horse of a thing, so much it only ever used the back door. Then he saw a tree. That was gone the next moment he looked. He and his partner hightailed it back to the car, and the shotguns (he's a copper).

The current plan he and I have is investigating Gilroy's "Australian Atlantis" theory.

Not much investigating needs to be done there :lol:

Not much investigating needs to be done there :lol:

Well there are some anomalous things, like OOP art on cave walls, the infamous "Egyptian script" and the like.

It's not Atlantis, but it doesn't mean that it's not something...

Thanks for the links :)

I am sure this one is claimed to have been filmed in South Australia, we do have grasslands like that in places, but I think the general consensus is an African female lion. The head is too bluky for the Thylacine I personally think.

We in the US had the same ego problem when it came to beaver and bison.

We killed off the beaver in the eastern states to the point of extinction; many varieties are lost to us forever including the giant beaver which, according to tribal lore, weighed about 100+ pounds and stood at 4.5 feet in height on its' hind legs. The stories told by early hunters and trappers (aka Mountain men) of bison taking days to pass a single point of land still sends chills through me. Within ten year span the bison were hunted to extinction. What we have in America today are the lesser known, but were just as plentiful; American Buffalo. The buffalo are smaller than the American Bison and have shorter horns.

A few years ago; I believe it was 1999 or 2000; a rancher in the Dakotas found an entire colony of black footed ferrets on his land. These ferrets were said to have become extinct in the late 1800's. According to zoologists who have been allowed into the area for research, the colony is thriving. The rancher refuses to say where the colony is and has support of the government in protecting the ferrets.

The ivory billed woodpecker is still around, however its habitat is still in danger. Fingers crossed they keep multiplying. ;)

We killed off the beaver in the eastern states to the point of extinction; many varieties are lost to us forever including the giant beaver which, according to tribal lore, weighed about 100+ pounds and stood at 4.5 feet in height on its' hind legs. The stories told by early hunters and trappers (aka Mountain men) of bison taking days to pass a single point of land still sends chills through me. Within ten year span the bison were hunted to extinction. What we have in America today are the lesser known, but were just as plentiful; American Buffalo. The buffalo are smaller than the American Bison and have shorter horns.

A few years ago; I believe it was 1999 or 2000; a rancher in the Dakotas found an entire colony of black footed ferrets on his land. These ferrets were said to have become extinct in the late 1800's. According to zoologists who have been allowed into the area for research, the colony is thriving. The rancher refuses to say where the colony is and has support of the government in protecting the ferrets.

The ivory billed woodpecker is still around, however its habitat is still in danger. Fingers crossed they keep multiplying. ;)

I've heard stories about the giant beavers overturning boats and hitting people with their tails etc. They could potentiolly still be alive but not much evidence.

meh probably is still alive considering 85% of our population live within 100km's of a beach and there is heaps of land we haven't covered yet.

Since one of Australia's future plans is to move our population inland (like America) instead of fighting for houses near the beach, within 100-200 years expect a wide range of undiscovered/thought to be extinct species being found while construction begins.

Thank you! Admittedly, the blood spurting made it very difficult.

Quick post because it's 8AM and I didn't mean to wake up but I'm still a nutter so I had to check anyway. x)

You're right about the floppy ear bit on the highlighted frame, but I was thinking if the ears were erect then like the tail, being so small in such poor quality they probably wouldn't be as defined as the whole body. In the GIF below, you'll notice the tail is noticeable in only about six of fourteen frames (you'll also see in the frame below the highlighted one where the ears aren't visible, the tail is also missing).

Also! Youtube'd more and found some grayhounds in slow mo--it's the best I could find, but you'll only notice things until the end (just let it load and drag the cursor to about :31. It's pretty boring otherwise, even for being a thirty-seven second video. :lol:).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ETH-SgpKY

Their head dips and picks up noticeably and their spine curves near the flank. The head and body in the GIF below stay pretty horizontal and the legs don't stretch out quite as far--buuuuuut that could just be the quality, rofl.

Yeah, the black bar at the top is apart of the video itself. I meant to stabilize it and take it out, but it was like 1AM and I completely forgot. XD!

(And that second picture is PRICELESS. It should be used on ihashotdog.com.)

Hrmmzz I see what you mean, the headbob does not seem as obvious side on, funny that.

Hard to make out on the grainy film as you say, but at worst a Greyhound cross?

Location on that one makes it hard for me to accept.

Physce, your post is ever-quiker making my belief in Tassie dissapear :lol:

Hehe, I assure you Tassie is still there!

David Fleay (the first person to captive breed the platypus) caught a Thylacine after the official extinction date, so they at least survived into the 50's on Tasmania. Weather they had enough population to continue the species is in grave doubt.

Fun Fact: David Fleay has a scar on his butt from Benjamin, the famous Thylacine fro the widely seen B & W footage at Tasmania Zoo. Benjamin crept up on him whilst he was in his enclosure, and gave him a nip.

Undeadskeptic, do not ask me how I know about this...............

Oh. Jesus.

If that things was running at me, I wouldn't move. Running from an angry greyhound is like trying to calm a little person by naming off all the words we use for them, starting at "gnome" and ending at "midjet".

:lol:

That is one mean looking dog......

Edited by psyche101

It was a while ago, but it was on someone's property.

Outside of Ipswich (about 40 minutes outside).

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those sandstone deposits on the side of the highway must be rich in fossils!! Dammit, need to find rellies BELOW the range........

All the sandstone in the area comes from out that way - Ipswich through to Gatton. I shudder to think how many finds have been sliced up for flooring.

Thank you. I am going to find a way to get into those farms to excavate, even if I have to go in and buy one goshdarnit.

Only mysteries, I'm a vegetarian.

As for where - my uncle has a cattle station outside of Barcaldine.

Other times it's up to Cairns where I have other family.

Vegetarian....but.....Sam Neil made those excellent commercials! What - just going to waste are they!!!! :D (JK)

Getting around! Ever visited The Tree of Knowledge in Barcaldine before the vandals killed it? What a bunch of so and so's huh! Why the heck would you kill a tree like that? Some people huh! That's some ways inland there. Keen on Rex hey? His laughable Gympie Pyramid didn't put you off?

Pleased to meet you :D Always nice to talk to another local and share views :D

Edited by psyche101

It is very sad to think how badly we can handle things. The Cane Toad is a mistake the wildlife still suffers for here today and the Prickly Pear sent many broke after shelling out their whole life for a fresh start in a new country. Many lost children on the journey, as well as serious conflict with the lands rightful owners. It was a tough life pioneers struggled through to pave the roads to these remote areas.

I hope we learn from our mistakes.

meh probably is still alive considering 85% of our population live within 100km's of a beach and there is heaps of land we haven't covered yet.

Since one of Australia's future plans is to move our population inland (like America) instead of fighting for houses near the beach, within 100-200 years expect a wide range of undiscovered/thought to be extinct species being found while construction begins.

Much of that land is desert too. Broad acre farming offers little cover as well.

I don't think so, considering establishing the coast has flushed out nothing of the like? The Ormeau Yowie has not surfaced despite it's habitat being developed, and a highway going smack through the middle of it?

Besides, creatures tend to welcome man. We have free food. I seriously doubt we will find Thylacoleo and I equally doubt the Thylacine exists on the mainland. The maw and bite preassure of these creatures is incredible, and the bite marks would be instantly recognised. Stock would be too big a temptation for them for them to remain covert.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those sandstone deposits on the side of the highway must be rich in fossils!! Dammit, need to find rellies BELOW the range........

All the sandstone in the area comes from out that way - Ipswich through to Gatton. I shudder to think how many finds have been sliced up for flooring.

Thank you. I am going to find a way to get into those farms to excavate, even if I have to go in and buy one goshdarnit.

We used to go to a shale quarry, until the management changed, and told us to get stuffed.

Getting around! Ever visited The Tree of Knowledge in Barcaldine before the vandals killed it? What a bunch of so and so's huh! Why the heck would you kill a tree like that? Some people huh! That's some ways inland there.

We were there when it happened.

We went to see it the day it happened.

Look at it this way - we were lucky to have rellies to vouch for us, or we'd have been lynched :D

Keen on Rex hey? His laughable Gympie Pyramid didn't put you off?

He raises interesting points to discuss. He's as mad as the moon though. Especially in person.

We used to go to a shale quarry, until the management changed, and told us to get stuffed.

Just criminal. There must be a treasure in that sandstone. If I find a place to get in, I'll let you know.

We were there when it happened.

We went to see it the day it happened.

Look at it this way - we were lucky to have rellies to vouch for us, or we'd have been lynched :D

Wow, hope you bought a lotto ticket that day! Thank goodness for the rellies!

Sad huh. You would think some local would know who did it. I guess everyone uses roundup around there, no way to track the criminal through sales.

He raises interesting points to discuss. He's as mad as the moon though. Especially in person.

Hehe, yes, described to a "T". Not met the man myself, Undeadskeptic has :D He keeps trying to charge him $100.00 for his book!

True, his points are interesting, and a good yarn, some people get a little religious about his theories, but I have even seen Rex quoted as saying he knows he is mad as a hatter, and I kinda like that about him, that he does not take it too seriously, some people who read his book believe what he writes a great deal more than he does I suspect, but a loose approach is definitely the way to go with his ideals. (Psst The Gympie Pyramid is just a terraced grape mound). Someone likened him to Steve Irwin, and I got rather cheesed at that, he is no wildlife warrior, just an interesting eccentric character. It would be a hoot to meet him in person.

Er... that "RAAF creature" that begins the thread... doesn't anyone else think it looks pretty faked? A hard outline around the body, and obvious cloning on the 'foreleg'?

Just felt like I should add my 2 cents worth.

The platypus was believed to be a hoax for some time, and occasionally people do sight a tasmanian tiger. Not saying that this proves they are not extinct, but no-one will ever truly know. There is also supposed to be some sort of panther thing running around victoria that has hundreds of sightings but no evidence.

Theres no reason any animal thought to be extinct couldn't still be alive. People still occasionally see bunyips, yowies, whatever you wanna call them. Also, Australia does have some of the most unique widlife. And being isolated for as long as it was, you cant help but wonder.

Er... that "RAAF creature" that begins the thread... doesn't anyone else think it looks pretty faked? A hard outline around the body, and obvious cloning on the 'foreleg'?

Like I told Ebonykrow, all the RAAF pics are like that. There are some of mundane animals, like sheep, but because they're moving and the cameras are crap I guess they look bizaare. They have white lines around them and the legs are blur but some random patches are defined ridiculously clearly.

He raises interesting points to discuss. He's as mad as the moon though. Especially in person

Oh yeah he's a right laugh.

"So Rex I'm a huge fan, love your work love your research I'm just really interested in what you're doing and seeing as you're not in NZ for too long and you've got a pile of copies of that book of yours, maybe I could have one copy... on the house?"

"Well Sam, eet's 60 bucks in Austrar-lieer, eend eets 'bout 80 in Nu Zayland, and you goota think of the postage eend harnderling costs, so it adds up to 100 kiwi dolleers."

:huh:

I'm not kidding he wanted to charge me 100 bucks, for postage and handling included! And I was sitting right next to him!

• 5 months later...
Nooo, not a Patty! D:

I took some stills of it anyway at looking at it frame by frame. :lol:

In the beginning of the clip it starts out a very nice golden color, but as it moves away it gets darker and you can't make anything out. There are definitely at least two distinct markings on the flank, and the ears are erect.

linked-image

Also did my best to spice up a leap I found somewhat uncharacteristic of a canine. But it's late and I still haven't gone to get a snack, so I'm probably seeing things. (I needed to waste my time anyway. Plus it was fun.) It reminds me of something more feline-like, though the body doesn't appear to be extremely long, the legs seem a little short in comparison to the rest of the body. Admittedly, if you look at the thylacine from the right angle, it has a very lion-like appearance in its face ( http://i33.tinypic.com/2nitwl4.png ).

linked-image

Oops! I meant the southern part of Australia.

AHHHH! LINK ATTACK. I'll have a look at them when my eyes aren't spurting blood. XDD!

I was just thinking on this... if it was filmed in SA, was it filmed from a car? It looks to be so, but then, how can if be filmed from a car if the driver's here in Aus are on that side, the righthand side? Wouldn't that make it America then, if the driver was on the left side of the car? And then, wouldn't it rule out a thylacine and bolster up the chances of it being a coyote or a dog with mange?

Then again, if it is filmed in Australia and then perhaps from one of the rear windows (which might be unlikely because it appears a corner of the windshield shows during the clip) and it is indeed in SA, why not? When I zoom right in on the video and fiddle a tad with the saturation, in some of the shots there seem to be phantom 'stripes' on the hindquarters. There seems to be a slight head-bob that has been discussed before, but not so much bend in the back or tail. Thylacines where said to have slightly odd gaits and tails so stiff they couldn't wag them or move them much. A greyhound running has mor action in the head and tail, even the body overall, and a great deal deeper chest.

Yet, this doesn't still rule out mange to me. This site here: http://thylacine.1979.ws/2006/07/avistamie...anas_criaturas/ even though it is in another language, provides some helpful pictures comparing a coyote with mange to a thylacine. From a distance, at speed and only briefly, they could very well pass as one and another. And more still, what about a fox? Leaves a fair bit open...

Reliquus

(sorry if I was bumping an old post, had to share some thoughts and didn't want to spam by making a new one)