Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A time traveler's lost time piece ?

UM-Bot

clock.jpg
Alex Zelaya: Archaeologists excavating a Ming dynasty tomb have called in experts after being baffled by a discovery of a watch ring with 'Swiss' engraved on the back. The archaeologists are currently working a documentary with two Shangsi journalists, and are puzzled as to the origins of the timepiece. It is thought that the site had not been disturbed since its creation four centuries ago.

Watches, before their inexpensive miniaturization in the 20th century, were mostly pocket watches, which often had covers and were carried in a pocket and attached to a watch chain or watch fob. Watches evolved in the 1600s from spring powered clocks, which first appeared in the 1400s.

The Ming Dynasty, or Empire of the Great Ming, was the ruling dynasty of China from 1368 to 1644.

linked-imageView Full Article | linked-imageSource: Third Eye Concept

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Golden Hawk

• Leah G.

• Gyrazel

• louie

this is amazing

if its true then our whole physics system is wrong O.o

we would have to start all over

If it's true, then it only proves that they are wrong about the length of time the area has gone undisturbed. I would LOVE to think it's a "time travel" episode, but let's jump to the logical conclusions first and THEN ponder what else it could mean IF those options prove incorrect.

First conclusion for me would be that someone has been in there sneaking around and lost their ring while doing so.

Wow... viral marketing?

Edited by chrisfreak

clock.jpg

Alex Zelaya: Archaeologists excavating a Ming dynasty tomb have called in experts after being baffled by a discovery of a watch ring with 'Swiss' engraved on the back. The archaeologists are currently working a documentary with two Shangsi journalists, and are puzzled as to the origins of the timepiece. It is thought that the site had not been disturbed since its creation four centuries ago.

'Swiss' engraved? Not enough information, engraved with what? I'm sure that engraving methods have changed over the years. What did the tool marks tell them?

Watches, before their inexpensive miniaturization in the 20th century, were mostly pocket watches, which often had covers and were carried in a pocket and attached to a watch chain or watch fob. Watches evolved in the 1600s from spring powered clocks, which first appeared in the 1400s.

More like the 1500's and by the swiss.

The Ming Dynasty, or Empire of the Great Ming, was the ruling dynasty of China from 1368 to 1644.

The time line seems right, where is the mystery?

Edited by Hatch

by the time we find a way to travel backwards through time, if at all, i feel it highly unlikely that we will still be wearing watches. If they found a poorly made piece of **** that said 300th generation i-phone on the back then maybe i could consider it being evidence for time travel.

Time travel if possible could only go forward IMO. Once a moment in time passes it is gone. If we were able to for example follow the path of light from a distant star back to it's origin we are merely seeing it as it appeared when it first passed a certain point in space.

The time line seems right, where is the mystery?

Did you see the pic? The watch is TINY - certainly a product of this century.

It would be nice when (if) they can figure out the year it was made.

Edited by Moonie2012

Time travel if possible could only go forward IMO. Once a moment in time passes it is gone. If we were able to for example follow the path of light from a distant star back to it's origin we are merely seeing it as it appeared when it first passed a certain point in space.

Actually, it would be the contrary. The past was once something... It happned. The future... well. You don't have it....

Did you see the pic? The watch is TINY - certainly a product of this century.

It would be nice when (if) they can figure out the year it was made.

No, I didn't, thanks for pointing that out! That is very small but still anolog. Seems like someone must have left it there, it looks like it could be about 40 years old. (My Mother had one just like it.) Someone must have been there before and tried to leave no trace but failed, obviously. Time travel is a fun theory but if we are ever able to have that ability it would come with horrible price tag. If we were able to go back in time and stop Hitler, someone, maybe someone worse would take his place, someone that was to die in the camps. Talk about a peridox!

Mmm, OoPAs. Commencing boggling in 3... 2... 1.

TeraLink Was Here!

After looking at the picture, you're assuming that it's a watch dial because it looks like one to modern eyes where clocks are ubiquitous. It may well be nothing but an artist design. That's why we let scientists who are familiar with these types of objects work on them rather than arm chair "hypothesisers" from UM.

I was wondering where I left that at :D

I used to see these at the flea market when I was a child. And this one looks just like the ones they sold back in the 70's

Someone else has been in there.

• 3 weeks later...
clock.jpg

Alex Zelaya:

Watches evolved in the 1600s from spring powered clocks, which first appeared in the 1400s.

linked-imageView Full Article | linked-imageSource: Third Eye Concept

Actually the first known pocket watch was made in Germany or France in the 1590's but did not become well known and popular until the 1600's due to the expense. It was then the Swiss stepped in and made the watches of quality that were less expensive.

I would like to know the exact size of that watch, a photo would be great right about now. What puzzles me is the word "SWISS" etched on the back? I would question any watch found in an excavation layer perported to be of the 1600's era, that has any such writing on it. Watches from their conception until the 19th century only had jewelers hallmarks on them, not wording as this watch is suppose to. The exception would be a presentation watch.

Small "ring watches" first appeared in the 1650/60's and were used for ladies fashion, originals are rare and very hard to find today. There was also ladies pocket watches that were about 1/4 to 1/3 smaller than the men's watches of the same periods. The smallest "ladies" ring I've ever seen was barely the size of a man's thumbnail and made in the late 1600's.

I was wondering where I left that at :D

I used to see these at the flea market when I was a child. And this one looks just like the ones they sold back in the 70's

Someone else has been in there.

P.R. You're good kid, real good. ;):lol:

This isn't exactly a unique or new discovery. All kinds of "modern day" items have been found in places they shouldn't be. Have you ever heard of the spark plugs that they find in freshly mined coal?

Actually, it would be the contrary. The past was once something... It happned. The future... well. You don't have it....

The past is nothing but memory (which isnt always correct), the present can be misleading and the future is nothing but imagination. sorry had to put that in, i just think it's always going to be hard to accept something that happened in the past when we were not there to witness it. What happens if all the theories and evidence that scientists have today is all incorrect?We are all guessing at possibilities here.

P.R. You're good kid, real good. ;):lol:

Yeah and they must have mysteriously vanished out of a secret entrance that had not been opened before.

This isn't exactly a unique or new discovery. All kinds of "modern day" items have been found in places they shouldn't be. Have you ever heard of the spark plugs that they find in freshly mined coal?

They found a spark plug in a lump of conglomerate, which is what happens when you leave steel in a a sandy environment for a few decades. Not even speaking as a amatuer geologist here, jsut someone who worked at a metal facility that had been active on the premises for about 30 years, saw plenty of nails and such like that.

As for the ring watch, this is the only other article I've found about it.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3122542.html

Has a picture to. At the moment thee's not enough info to determine wether or not it's a hoax, though it's as possible that it's from somebody who go there first. Happens on occasion, especially with suppose undisturbed digs.