Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Foxboro State Hospital

Ashe Romeo

The first time I ever heard about this place, I was fourteen years old. Some kids in my poetry class at school were bragging about having gone there and knicked some old files. Being the quiet girl who hid herself behind Paradise Lost in high school, I had developed the habit of eavesdropping, so I decided to listen a little bit.

They were showing off this old patent record. The woman involved, according to the record, had been repeatedly subjected to electroshock therapy, with no results.

I don't know if the file was for real or not, but it certainly seemed legitmate enough. It's not like these boys in my class were smart enough to perpetrate such a thing (they were jocky football players, for hell's sake.) so yeah, it kinda freaked me out a little bit. I also wondered why this woman was forced to endure shocks if they so obviously were not working.

Years later, about a month ago, to be exact, I finally visited this place. Oh my ****ing god.

Now, I don't claim to be psychic. I don't think I'm any kind of medium or all that, but the second I got there--hadn't even gotten out of the car--I didn't like it. I wanted to get the hell OUT. I felt this odd suction in the middle of my guts--like my heart was being pulled towards my stomach. It took a lot of self restraint to not roll down the window and puke everywhere. I don't know if that means the place is haunted or not, but my instincts were telling me "this place is bad, you don't want to be here, tell Israel to drive the hell away now." It was the most oppresively claustrophobic feeling I had ever gotten in my life. To say that I wanted to get out is an understatement--I needed to leave. For several minutes, I legitimately struggled with the physical need to vomit and the want to break down and cry. It was awful.

Awful, but it disippated a little bit.

They're in the process of tearing down the place. There's really only one building left, and the windows are all caved in, covered in plastic. It was eerie, gave the sense of being watched. We didn't go in, we only lurked, but the feeling I got when we pulled in was just...totally overwhelming. I don't want to go back. My boyfriend wants to visit, to look for a straightjacket or something for a souvenier (men -.-) but I'm wary of returning. Anyone know anything? Here's a video I found, with pictures and music from the Silent Hill 2 OST (good choice, IMHO)

0:54 gave me a chill...I saw that hallway. It's part of the basement, very visible from the outside. I don't want to think about what it must have been like for the patients, there. Those long, dark corridors *shudder*

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• Evo

• morosity

• Ashe Romeo

Sounds scary as hell, but im a stupid 16 year old boy. I wouldve gone in there anyways ;)

If your BF does go tell him to take pictures!!

Those poor paitents went through hell...realy sad and all those emotions must be still there and you must have picked up on them when you went there. I would be leary on returning also. Thanks for the story and link...realy interesting !

the sounds scares me...

what a place..

I'll never try to explore it...

I have this bizarre interest in abandoned mental health facilities - well, any mental health facilities to tell the truth!, although abandoned ones are significantly more creepy than the ones that are still running. I once went to a party held in a social club on the grounds of a local asylum and I was more interested in looking at the big foreboding building than dancing and having a laugh! lol. I think the thing that fascinates me most is that the human mind is such a complex and confusing thing, occasionally dark and evil - but thankfully mostly light and good. When I was a young girl I was desperate to be a psychiatrist or work in an asylum, so I think that's where my fascination stemmed from!.

The feeling you got could possibly be from residual energy, many people who stayed there were probably very disturbed and had their own 'warped' energies that might have sunk into the actual building itself. If lots of the people there were very depressed, this would also add to the atmosphere surrounding the place - a sense of sadness and woe, that although you know is irrational, it still effects you because the building has seeped up so much from the past and it'll continue radiating those emotions until it's gone. If you do return, simply focusing on your breathing and imagining a ball of light around you may help to stop the panic you felt - just take comfort in the fact that the building won't hurt you and if the place is haunted, the ghosts probably won't hurt you either, it's simply a build up of emotion from years passed.

I'd just like to add - I tried to watch the video but when it got halfway through I really freaked out and had to close it, lmao... the soundtrack makes it feel really ominous :unsure2:

Odd.......they should have destroyed the patients records...or put them in storage........:(

Too bad it's being (or has been) torn down. If the foundation was good and the structure still sound it would have made an interesting renovation project with maybe a club being built on the main floor. The buildings history alone would've made the place quite an attraction.

It is being torn down, but there are two of the buildings that are still standing.

And I find it amusing that the music freaked you all out so much. It's actually taken from the Silent Hill 2 OST, which happens to be one of my favourite videogames of all times. :) Doesn't bother me one bit anymore. Great, huh? <_<

But yes, it is very odd that they didn't do anything to get rid of the records...some of them must have been overlooked. I believe that was part of the basis for a film called Session 9, which was centred around Danvers.

• 2 years later...

I lived in the hospital this past year for 14 months. It was never torn down it was all remodeled into condos. While there both my boyfriend(who was not a believer) and myself experienced many paranormal activities. We lived in the c wing on the second floor. D wing was the most haunted. People would move into d wing and quickly move out. While there we always got the feeling of being watched. Everytime a fuse would go out in any apartment it would be fuse 13 in the fuse box. I remember being in bed about to fall asleep and hearing a women's voice right over me out loud say three words to me. I don't know what she said but I shot up and told my boyfriend to please take me to the store. I just wanted to get out of the building! We get to the car and drive out of the parking lot and I told him I heard this voice. He said he didn't want to scare me but he heard the same thing! Many people would see ghosts walk through walls into other apartments. Wake up to a man sitting on the corner of your bed staring at you. Knocks on your door and you open and no one is there. Walking up the stairs and seeing a man peeking out the doorway at you and you look down the long hallway and its completely empty. One women woke up in the morning and every cabinet and draw in her kitchen was open! Her front door was locked and she lived alone. I would be in bed and hear my door knobs rattle from in my hallway and both my boyfriend and I would see shadow figures pass by our bedroom door. I always felt like the spirits were curious about us all. Some of them seemed playful. I always felt really sad and depressed for no reason while I lived there and I started to think something was wrong with me! After I moved I have never felt that way again. I felt like that place was totally rubbing off on me. We moved because of how bad things felt there. It mostly got the worst about six months into living there when construction works digging in the back building 55+ communities discovered graves if patients. The town moved the graves across the street where all the other patients were buried. That was September of last year. Like I said once the graves were moved I think it really upset the spirits! I am so happy now that I left! I don't recommend anyone live there. We moved out this past may and we still have never recieved our $500 security deposit back! You can't get intouch with anyone that works there you just get s voicemail with another number to call or an email address. I have been trying since may to get my money back. It's just still a nut house over there if you ask me!

Edited by emily2285

Nice. Nut house. Ignorance. So many people have no clue. That's what is really scary.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the people who investigate this insanely creepy asylum go nuts afterwards (no puns intended?)

Edited by Evo

I think it'd be nice if someone out there was educated at all past the third grade when it came to mental illness.

Being in the medical field I don't find anything creepy or dementing about someone being done ECT(Electroshock Therapy) on. If she was a subject to early tests she would've probably not been in a lot of pain since people who do get ECT are the ones who have psychotic disorders only. Probably would've just felt discomfort because she may not had a muscle relaxant before the procedure, or may have had bad experience with not being able to control gag reflex, but nothing deadly if within a professional's care.

You don't do ECT on a normal person unless you're a sadistic doctor! And unless the hospital was a cult shop of some sort, the procedure would've not been done in the first place. I've seen ECT first-hand myself and it only appears to people like torture since yeah you do use electricity on the person but the amount of time the electricity is used isn't even enough to kill anybody, takes less than 5 seconds. When ECT doesn't produce results, it just means she still suffers the same psychotic disorder before she was subjected to it. But anybody who goes under ECT usually gets the treatment more than once in their lifetime.

But the hospital being eerie, I feel you there. I did my student internship on a hospital where it was said that a lot patients died, due to normal illnesses and stuff. But every single damn day I went there and worked for 8 hours I always felt like someone was watching me despite all the people around me. I've never tried doing night shift when I was there but something about hospitals even as a medical professional creeps the hell out of me.

Being in the medical field I don't find anything creepy or dementing about someone being done ECT(Electroshock Therapy) on. If she was a subject to early tests she would've probably not been in a lot of pain since people who do get ECT are the ones who have psychotic disorders only. Probably would've just felt discomfort because she may not had a muscle relaxant before the procedure, or may have had bad experience with not being able to control gag reflex, but nothing deadly if within a professional's care.

You don't do ECT on a normal person unless you're a sadistic doctor! And unless the hospital was a cult shop of some sort, the procedure would've not been done in the first place. I've seen ECT first-hand myself and it only appears to people like torture since yeah you do use electricity on the person but the amount of time the electricity is used isn't even enough to kill anybody, takes less than 5 seconds. When ECT doesn't produce results, it just means she still suffers the same psychotic disorder before she was subjected to it. But anybody who goes under ECT usually gets the treatment more than once in their lifetime.

But the hospital being eerie, I feel you there. I did my student internship on a hospital where it was said that a lot patients died, due to normal illnesses and stuff. But every single damn day I went there and worked for 8 hours I always felt like someone was watching me despite all the people around me. I've never tried doing night shift when I was there but something about hospitals even as a medical professional creeps the hell out of me.

All true. And I knew someone who was cured of bipolarity with ECT, although they did have gaps in their memory afterwards...

All true. And I knew someone who was cured of bipolarity with ECT, although they did have gaps in their memory afterwards...

Bipolarity? You mean Bi polar disorder? There is no cure.

Bipolarity? You mean Bi polar disorder? There is no cure.

My bad, didn't catch that. It was an experimental treatment. Theres a memoir about it, and the side effects it caused in this person was to lose sense of time and gaps in memory. It didn't work for all and was painful. I can't for the likes of me remember the title. The main character was a woman who suffered bi polarity and went wild for guys with green eyes and was suicidal many times. She had a father who hated her for having to take drugs to control the disorder and called her a drug addict which only made the condition worse. He was also mad at her for not being a lawyer even though he paid her classes at Princeton. The book had the edges of its pages look slightly torn. Anyone know what book this is?

My bad, didn't catch that. It was an experimental treatment. Theres a memoir about it, and the side effects it caused in this person was to lose sense of time and gaps in memory. It didn't work for all and was painful. I can't for the likes of me remember the title. The main character was a woman who suffered bi polarity and went wild for guys with green eyes and was suicidal many times. She had a father who hated her for having to take drugs to control the disorder and called her a drug addict which only made the condition worse. He was also mad at her for not being a lawyer even though he paid her classes at Princeton. The book had the edges of its pages look slightly torn. Anyone know what book this is?

So you knew this person or read the memoir? And the correct term is Bi-polar disorder. Just so you know. :tu:

Edited by coldethyl

So you knew this person or read the memoir? And the correct term is Bi-polar disorder. Just so you know. :tu:

No, I read the memoir. She had a Book sign. I cant remember the title or author, but I can practically narrate the whole story back to someone. I hate it when that happens.

Im just no good with names, but perfect with data.

Edited by Evo

• 1 month later...

I live in Mansfield Mass, the next town over. I have heard about this place, and yes, was alway creepy to drive by and look at.

I drive a tractor trailer locally, and had a delivery there at the very beginning of restorations. I pulled my rig between two buildings, and the hair was standing full up on my arms, and would not go away. I made arrangements to deliver the construction materials in the contractor office, and the guy seemed cool. I asked him if he has ever experienced anything funky around here, and he said a flat out "no". I showed him the hair on my arms, on a 90 degree day, and said, "Dude, this place is completely haunted." He saw the hair standing straight up, and told me, the night guard was scared sh!tless the first couple of weeks, and would be petrified in the morning at the end of his shift. The night guy told him, he spent his nights investigating talking, screaming, banging noises, and there was never anyone there. I had mixed feelings about the place. I wanted to get the hell out, but would have loved to hung around, but time was not on my side, I had other deliveries to do that day.

I had been back there for several more deliveries in the course of construction, still feeling very spooked, and anyone I would ask in passing, all agreed, the place was creepy.

The last delivery I made there, was in 2010, to a company that had leased an office. I brought in some boxes to the front lobby, and I asked the girl behind the desk that I had previously spoke to, if anyone has seen anything creepy since moving in. She looked at me and said, "It is company policy not to talk about it." Then she said in a lower voice, "Alot of us have seen a woman in a robe walking up those stairs quite often" I just said, "Yyyyup" I don't run the Foxboro area anymore, kinda miss that delivery.

http://theshadowlands.net/places/massachusetts.htm

Interesting account, to the OP. It sort of reminded me of a feeling I had when I saw this abandoned school.

I was up in Hendersonville, NC a month or two ago, and my ex decided to show me an abandoned schoolhouse that was by his friend's house-at night time. :unsure2: Apparently, some girl had been killed there years ago and it was haunted. Anyway, We turned the corner of the trees to get a look, and it was just a small two story bricked schoolhouse-rather small compared to schools built these days. I got this horrible sense of dread and felt like I was going to pass out, so I sprinted back to his friend's house.

:rolleyes:

Edited by NikkiAidyn

A lot of lost souls must still be in that place forever enduring their captivity and madness.

• 10 months later...

Ashe Romeo I worked at Foxboro state hospital after it became part of Wrentham state school, I started in 1986 and went over to the Wrentham campus in 1991 when Dexter closed. I worked in the Dexter building which was across the street from the building that is now the condos. The building is now gone and there are stores where it was, a few years ago my hubby (he also worked there) and I took a ride by to see if the area had changed any. I didn't really get a creppy feeling in Dexter building but every now and we had to bring the clients (they were all mentaly handicapped) over to one of the other buildings that didn't have any living in it, but had a big open room so they could dance. We had to bring them thru the tunnels which connected all the buildings underground. Off the tunnels there were rooms where they did EST. There was also a room where they put dead people until they could bury them it must have been really smelly because there was no refrigeration. They also did experiments on the clients one that I know about was the tested the use of flouride on them before they started using it in toothpaste and drinking water. I don't dought that people died from some of these experiments. One thing I would not do the whole time I worked there was go thru the tunnels my self, I had to have another staff person with me and the whole time we were down in them we felt like we were being watched, and every now and then we would hear doors open or close and no one else was down there,

Edited by bsgiga