Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dragons and Nessie

Althalus

Just a quick question, could the tales of the loch ness monster (nessie) be modern versions of dragon tales and myths that used to be so common back in the middle ages? and if so were there more of them, did they actually exist? my reason for asking this is that most of the dragons of folklaw are water dragons, and they lived in water as the name suggests, this also coupled with the fact that most of them are depicted as having long serpentine bodies, just as Nessie is supposed to have.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Kismit

• PurpleStuart

• VamphyriGurl

Good point, Al. That makes sense, the water being a great place for them to hide. :s6

Or could nessie have been a plesiosaur , and Dragons just dinosaurs that where around a lot longer than we realised

after all the bible hold beliefs that man and dinosaurs co-existed .

There was an episode of Horizon recently on which it was thought that the idea of dragons stemmed from the discovery of fossils of winged dinosaurs, such as Archaeopteryx, which were considered to be the remains of infant dragons.

In the past other dinosaur fossils have been interpreted as being the remains of sea serpents, dragons and other monsters, when no other explanation existed. It is easy to see how, with apparant perfect physical evidence, people long ago would have considered "dragons" and other such creatures, as existing without question.

i think dragon's are an entirely different species from dino's,and that their still around today,we just have yett 2 prove their existence...........well...its just a theory... :-\ :s9 lol

hmm, ok....

Lol dean , that sounds like something my husband would say .

Saruman I like what you said but I just wanted to play devils advocate for a second and see if I can keep a little life in this thread,

Yesterday I was reading an article that said that there had been several crater holes found in the earth that date to around the time of the extinction of dinosaurs . Allthough thes wholes where made over a longer period of time than originally believed.

This being the case it would have left more opotunities for some Dinosaurs to have survived longer than others , and may be winged dinosaurs had a greater chance because thay had a better view of and a better form of transportation to travel to warmer more hospitable climates.

So maybe dinosaurs have been here longer than we believe and maybe draggons are a direct link to living dinosaurs.

Kismit,

It's certainly possible that winged dinosaurs existed at the same time as early man, but as far as I know there haven't been any fossils of winged dinosaurs found dating to anything more recent than 65 million years ago, which leaves a pretty big gap in the fossil record if they did survive up until only a few thousand years ago.

There were however, very large reptiles roaming around only a few thousand years ago, massive crocodiles and other huge carniverous reptiles 10 feet in length. These beasts could have easily been the source for the dragon legends, as they would have definately been around at the same time as humans. Incidently, very large humanoid ape creatures also existed at these times, ( Gigantopethicus <sp> for example ) which may have been the source of some of the worlds Bigfoot and Yeti type legends.

If we look back far enough, it may be possible to link many more of the world's cryptid legends to now extinct creatures that lived alongside early humans.