Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Angel' photographed in hospital hallway

UM-Bot

angel.jpg
When Chelsea Banton was born five weeks prematurely, doctors predicted she had 36 hours to live. Proving them wrong was the first miracle for Chelsea, now an Independence High School freshman. “She spent the first four months in a neonatal intensive care unit,” recalls her mother, Colleen Banton of Mint Hill.

Before Chelsea was 2, she was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia, the first of several dangerous run-ins with the illness that have made her a familiar face in Presbyterian's pediatric intensive care unit.

Among other health problems in her medical history: hydrocephalus, requiring a shunt in her skull and, later, several shunt revisions; life-threatening viruses; and, this past July, fluid retention that required more than a week's hospitalization and three liters of liquid to be drawn from her body.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article + picture | linked-imageSource: Charlotte Observer

News article suggestion submitted by Stance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• Drakus

• St Q

• Dogran

angel? lol its just 3 vertical slits of light from the windows on the left.

I agree, you can clearly see the windows in the refection on the floor.

I agree, you can clearly see the windows in the refection on the floor.

And the mother says that it had been overcast all day, and the sun only came out at that point. One can then conclude the sun came out, and she saw it's reflection. Despite the daughter's suffering, that they were willing to give up on her is kind of sad, there have been people that have suffered a lot worse.

Agreed: very obviously sunlight through windows at left of image. The windows are clearly visible in the reflection on the floor. Angels may or may not exist, but this is certainly no proof of them. Did some divine entity save the girl? Perhaps; perhaps not. If the family wish to believe as much then that's entirely up to them, but belief is a matter of perspective, not evidence. This image is certainly not evidence.

If it makes the Mom of the kid feel better, great, but that is NOT some paranormal apparition of an angelic being. At most, I would take that as "a sign" that someone was looking out for her kid.

Graham Hess: People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people.

But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?

(Signs 2002)

I think that this quote sums experiences like this up pretty well.

Over the years I've become far more open to the fact that IMHO, there are no coincidences. I'm also fully aware that there are times when you see exactly what you want or need to see, subconsciously or consciously. There are things that happen in life that just "feel" different, thoughts that seem to pop into your head at seemingly random times, events that happen that if you analyze them only make sense because of prior choices you made maybe years ago... it forms the basis of one of my favorite sayings "everything happens for a reason". But saying that, I'm also fully aware that this might just be my own personal religion so to speak and I'm just trying to make myself feel better and make sense of things... it could all just be a crock, the jury is still out for me...

The trick is trying to recognize these feelings or thoughts for what they are and not getting them confused with your hopes or fears, the b**** of it is also that it normaly (for me anyway) works in hindsight, as in i can only recognize the truth in the decisions and paths that i took when looking back on them and remembering exactly why i chose this way instead of that way and how it led me to where i am today. Not always though, but mostly.

Anyway, my point is that i think possible "signs" like this can sometimes be intensely personal and it can be a mistake to try and make too much sense out of it, and in turn to try and apply it to the "outside world" and to people that in all honesty will never understand the complexity or depth of feeling that led to your thinking on the subject.

What makes us think that if there are such things as signs and miracles, and I'd even go so far as to say a God, that it would always manifest as a booming voice from the sky, an indisputable image of the virgin Mary or the second coming?

It is quite possible that just suppose there is such a thing, it is completely personal and not meant for anyone apart from those that it was intended for, or are in the position to view it as such. Me personally would look at that picture and see nothing apart from some sun light on the wall, i probably wouldn't even give it a second glance if i was walking down that very corridor at that very time. But that doesn't mean that my take on a situation is right, or maybe it is right, but what IS right? You can't say what's right or wrong, all you can say is what YOU see, what makes sense to YOU. It's never the definitive truth on any subject, and will always be biased.

For arguments sake, just imagine that there is a "God", or collective intelligence or higher power, or whatever you feel most comfortable in calling it. Now imagine that in his/her/their/it's wisdom, are able to fine tune "signs" or messages to individuals based on their very own life experiences, hopes, fears and/or beliefs and current circumstances... like this for instance...

Is it so hard to consider that a possibility?

Or then again, it could all just be a crock. Like the quote from signs says, I think you just have to ask yourself what kind of person you are?

Anyhow, the sign that I'm experiencing right now is that i shouldn't have left it until Christmas eve to my shopping :o

Edited by Drakus

I think that this quote sums experiences like this up pretty well.

Over the years I've become far more open to the fact that IMHO, there are no coincidences. I'm also fully aware that there are times when you see exactly what you want or need to see, subconsciously or consciously. There are things that happen in life that just "feel" different, thoughts that seem to pop into your head at seemingly random times, events that happen that if you analyze them only make sense because of prior choices you made maybe years ago... it forms the basis of one of my favorite sayings "everything happens for a reason". But saying that, I'm also fully aware that this might just be my own personal religion so to speak and I'm just trying to make myself feel better and make sense of things... it could all just be a crock, the jury is still out for me...

For arguments sake, just imagine that there is a "God", or collective intelligence or higher power, or whatever you feel most comfortable in calling it. Now imagine that in his/her/their/it's wisdom, are able to fine tune "signs" or messages to individuals based on their very own life experiences, hopes, fears and/or beliefs and current circumstances... like this for instance...

Is it so hard to consider that a possibility?

Or then again, it could all just be a crock. Like the quote from signs says, I think you just have to ask yourself what kind of person you are?

Anyhow, the sign that I'm experiencing right now is that i shouldn't have left it until Christmas eve to my shopping :o

:yes: (You don't mind I shrank your post a little, it's annoying to have it quoted full just after the original?)

It’s only a reflection to me, but who am I to say anything about the sign meant for someone else.

There are so many “coincidences” in everyone’s life, too many to discard them as meaningless – in my personal opinion, naturally.

Before someone gets impression I’m religious – I’m not. It doesn’t have to be any form of god behind the existence, but the existence doesn’t have to be chaotic or meaningless.

Edit: is, are... I hope I got it right this time

Edited by Helen of Annoy

:yes: (You don't mind I shrank your post a little, it's annoying to have it quoted full just after the original?)

It’s only a reflection to me, but who am I to say anything about the sign meant for someone else.

There are so many “coincidences” in everyone’s life, too many to discard them as meaningless – in my personal opinion, naturally.

Before someone gets impression I’m religious – I’m not. It doesn’t have to be any form of god behind the existence, but the existence doesn’t have to be chaotic or meaningless.

Edit: is, are... I hope I got it right this time

Exactly, I think you and I park our cars down the same street when it comes to this ;)

And the mother says that it had been overcast all day, and the sun only came out at that point. One can then conclude the sun came out, and she saw it's reflection. Despite the daughter's suffering, that they were willing to give up on her is kind of sad, there have been people that have suffered a lot worse.

Lol? What she has suffered puts her in like the top .1% of most suffering people in the world

Lol? What she has suffered puts her in like the top .1% of most suffering people in the world

top 1 % ????? doubt it. she had medical care and family. how many children die by starvation without either ? or by anything else without medical attention ?

how about those children kept in the sex trade world wide ? beaten and abused ? kept like slaves ?

it's all how you look at it.

angel.jpg

When Chelsea Banton was born five weeks prematurely, doctors predicted she had 36 hours to live. Proving them wrong was the first miracle for Chelsea, now an Independence High School freshman. “She spent the first four months in a neonatal intensive care unit,” recalls her mother, Colleen Banton of Mint Hill.

Before Chelsea was 2, she was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia, the first of several dangerous run-ins with the illness that have made her a familiar face in Presbyterian's pediatric intensive care unit.

Among other health problems in her medical history: hydrocephalus, requiring a shunt in her skull and, later, several shunt revisions; life-threatening viruses; and, this past July, fluid retention that required more than a week's hospitalization and three liters of liquid to be drawn from her body.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article + picture | linked-imageSource: Charlotte Observer

News article suggestion submitted by Stance

Guess what folks...............there isn't a window there! I've been in that hospital..............I'm afraid you're mistaken about the window

Guess what folks...............there isn't a window there! I've been in that hospital..............I'm afraid you're mistaken about the window

Oh so the reflection of the windows in the floor must be fake then, or Ghost windows.

Look at the picture and there is a reflection of windows in the floor, and when was the last time you was at that hospital and did you memorize every location of every window and door in the building in your mind?

linked-image

Oh so the reflection of the windows in the floor must be fake then, or Ghost windows.

Look at the picture and there is a reflection of windows in the floor, and when was the last time you was at that hospital and did you memorize every location of every window and door in the building in your mind?

It looks more like a reflection of the TL lights (on the ceiling?) than the reflection of a window to me.....

Having said that..........imo, it doesn't really matter what sort of reflection/light it is. If the mother saw it as an angel, and was comforted by that idea, then that's what really matters :)

Edited by The_Scorpion

I think you may all be missing the point here. Yes, the light can be explained...I myself don't believe the light is anything supernatural. This girl's doctors said there was no hope for her, and she was about to be taken off life support but she miracously recovered, but why?

I think you may all be missing the point here.

They were addressing the main point of this article title. And the article seems to have been written because of that phenomenon. There's a lot of far worse stuff that happens day in, day out, and it's never mentioned, because there hasn't been anything extra ordinary that's happened. That's a sad truth in itself, unfortunately.

But yes, I also believe it's just a reflection of lights from a window. Certainly ties in with the sun coming out...did the mother not think of that as being a slight coincidence? Also if you notice...the middle bit of light is not in the reflection, which is what you'd probably expect as the light will get distorted when reflecting off the corner of a wall like that.

I can see Jesus's foot too! Lol :)

It doesn't matter if angels exists or not. If you believe in them then they exist. There are time when things happen for the better than no one can explain. If you want to call that angel care then so let it be. Yes, there are people who don't believe in angels. As a matter of fact they most likely don't believe in anything other than themselves. I can say that I have been helped many times when great trouble happened that I couldn't see any possible way out of it. In my great sorrow I asked for help and it was granted to me. So, If you want to call it God or Angels it doesn't matter. I never saw an angel or God for that matter but I believe there is something watching over everyone .

I think the fact that the girl miraculously recovered is just a coincidence with the light thing. These sorts of things do happen, with or without the sun coming out. I accept the miraculous recovery, no problem.

But what really gets to me is that this particular picture and story; I've come across alot on the internet, when clearly the picture is a reflection of sunlight and not an angel. There's such a big "angel" story, yet it is the recovery of the girl that is truly the great news, and that ought to be focussed on more than the picture. If the people want to believe the light is a sign of an angel, that's understandable, but that shouldn;t take the spotlight away from the fact that there was, indeed, a bigger miracle.

The vertical bar of light in the center of the apparition does not exist except on the monitor or camera. In other words, it would not be visible to the naked eye.

Photo A (#1) does not show the reflection of this light on the floor as it would be expected in Photo B.

linked-image

Photo B was inverted at bottom of door to show the expected reflection of light on the floor.

The reflection of light on the door and the right wall are from the window on the far left. The reflection of light on the floor is from the door and right wall (#2 & #3). The rectangles of light on the floor are from overhead lighting. The wall facing the monitor, between the door and the right wall, is hidden from the window. The reflection of this wall can be seen in the floor by the reflection of overhead lighting only.

The vertical bar of light in the center of the image, as it appears on the monitor or camera, is abnormal, not paranormal. Photos of monitors and TV screens have also been proved unreliable.

Edits in boldface.

Edited by St Q