Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aquatic ape Theory

Ghost Rflection

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Ghost Rflection

• makaya325

• louis_last

Hope this is the right place for this, but I would like to know what peoples thought are about it.

Here’s a link about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

It’s Wikipedia so it’s not a perfect source, but I think it give the overall idea.

The problem is all the actual evidence contradicts it.

The problem is all the actual evidence contradicts it.

What about the fossils found where ancient dried up lakes are. It seems like a better explanation of why we don’t have much hair as ape relatives. Most animals in the savanna did not lose hair because of overheating.

What about the fossils found where ancient dried up lakes are. It seems like a better explanation of why we don’t have much hair as ape relatives. Most animals in the savanna did not lose hair because of overheating.

Sorry it is not a theory (Despite the title) it is an unsupported hypothesis and has for now been dismissed because it is not supported by evidence.

We also die quickly in tropical water and can't hold out breath too long.

Sorry it is a defunct, scientifically invalid idea. It was examined and discarded.

perhaps you'd like to research 'sea gypsies' who used to spend their entire lives living at sea and in tropical water and their remarkable free diving abilities then when you're done pop them in your pipe and smoke them.

kind regards

perhaps you'd like to research 'sea gypsies' who used to spend their entire lives living at sea and in tropical water and their remarkable free diving abilities then when you're done pop them in your pipe and smoke them.

kind regards

Perhaps you should look up how quickly you will die if you stay in the water permanently. Even in tropical water you'll die of hypothermia reasonably quickly.

Perhaps you should look up how quickly you will die if you stay in the water permanently. Even in tropical water you'll die of hypothermia reasonably quickly.

how quickly? i thought hypthermia applies only in cold waters? so ur saying temperature doesnt affect who gets it?

Sorry it is not a theory (Despite the title) it is an unsupported hypothesis and has for now been dismissed because it is not supported by evidence.

Sorry it is a defunct, scientifically invalid idea. It was examined and discarded.

Apologies are not need in this case because weather it is a theory or hypothesis is not an important point. I find it belittling in general when people start the ‘sorry’ nonsense over ideas that they don’t agree with. It’s not as if it has no support. During the time it was being looked in to the promotion used for the hypothesis was poorly done. People always seem to become defensive when their egos are at stake, and they don’t have enough evidence to dispute. I don’t 100% agree with how its promotion was done. I think I was an easy promotion to take advantage, and didn’t have as much to do with the idea its self.

It’s not as if it suggested that our ancient ancestor sprouted a tail, but give explanations, and in my opinion better explanations, as to why our bodies formed the way we did. The fact that babies lungs aromatically close when submerged in water, and the part about losing hair. If anything it gives better explanations then the regular theory. What knowledge do you have that disputes these ideas other than it was dismissed.

Edited by Ghost Rflection

how quickly? i thought hypthermia applies only in cold waters? so ur saying temperature doesnt affect who gets it?

The theory doesnt suggest the they were in the ocean, but in lakes and streams. I would think those waters would be warmer. Plus because we can’t know doesn’t mean we couldn’t. the body would have changed to adapted to land. Plus because we can’t now doesn’t mean we couldn’t. the body would have changed to adapted to land.

The theory doesn’t suggest the they were in the ocean, but in lakes and streams. I would think those waters would be warmer. Plus because we can’t know doesn’t mean we couldn’t. the body would have changed to adapted to land. Plus because we can’t now doesn’t mean we couldn’t. the body would have changed to adapted to land.

but this change couldnt have happened over the short course of primate evolution, which is young compared to early mammals. our ancestors, 1st mammal after the kt event, probably was some thing partially aquatic

but this change couldnt have happened over the short course of primate evolution, which is young compared to early mammals. our ancestors, 1st mammal after the kt event, probably was some thing partially aquatic

I’m not sure about the timing. Within generation traits of animal species can change. With the right mutation who knows what the timing really could be. Woops, sorry for the repeat sentence and type-o.

I've never heard any proponents of the aquatic ape theory claim that they would have remained in water permanently so i fail to see how that's relevant but even so the sea gypsies traditionally would spend most of their day in and under the water from a very young age. pipe. smoke it.

I've never heard any proponents of the aquatic ape theory claim that they would have remained in water permanently so i fail to see how that's relevant but even so the sea gypsies traditionally would spend most of their day in and under the water from a very young age. pipe. smoke it.

dont argue with mattshark, bc he knows his marine biology far more than anyone else here

dont argue with mattshark, bc he knows his marine biology far more than anyone else here

If Sasquatch was aquatic, he'd know more, in my opinion. :P

Nah, I have to give props to Mattshark; the theatre doesn't need em, and I have no use for a cardboard replica of Lincoln.

Edited by The Chupacabra King

This sounds like an attempt to legitamize mermaids, just fresh water ones.

I don’t think it was originally used for that. It was actually used to promote woman’s Lib in the 60s or 70s, but that’s the main reason why I think it got dismissed because of poor marketing. I have seen people use it for the idea of mermaids.

I don’t think it was originally used for that. It was actually used to promote woman’s Lib in the 60s or 70s, but that’s the main reason why I think it got dismissed because of poor marketing. I have seen people use it for the idea of mermaids.

It was dismissed through a lack of evidence.

I'm sure they do. How does it support the hypothesis exactly?

Since all the evidence doesn't.

It was dismissed through a lack of evidence.

You’ve stated this already. I’m not trying to argue or pick some sort of fight, but it would be great if you could state in depth or briefly, your preference, what evidence is missing. I know one of the problems with it had to do with bone density in the fossils that was not conducive to water living.

Apparently not very much about sea gypsies though.

24hours roughly

Hypothermia occurs can occur in any water below body temperature. Heat loss is faster in water than in air and even in 30c water you are losing heat all the time.

You’ve stated this already. I’m not trying to argue or pick some sort of fight, but it would be great if you could state in depth or briefly, your preference, what evidence is missing. I know one of the problems with it had to do with bone density in the fossils that was not conducive to water living.

http://www.aquaticape.org/

A nice look at the problems with the idea.

I'm sure they do. How does it support the hypothesis exactly?

Since all the evidence doesn't.

you claimed that

We also die quickly in tropical water and can't hold out breath too long
and
Perhaps you should look up how quickly you will die if you stay in the water permanently. Even in tropical water you'll die of hypothermia reasonably quickly

regardless of whether the aquatic ape theory holds any water (no pun intended) I'm pointing out the reasons for it being invalid you have put forth are irrelevant as no proponent of the aquatic ape theory has ever claimed they would have stayed in the water permanently and that you are wrong about these reasons you have given for why it's impossible for primates to spend the majority of their lives in the water as there are humans who still live like this even today. pipe.

Edited by louis_last