Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge was 'giant concert venue'

UM-Bot

stonehenge.jpg
A university professor who is an expert in sound and a part-time DJ believes Stonehenge was created as a dance arena for listening to "trance-style" music. The monument has baffled archaeologists who have argued for decades over the stone circle's 5,000-year history but academic Rupert Till believes he has solved the riddle by suggesting it may have been used for ancient raves.

Mr Till, an expert in acoustics and music technology at Huddersfield University, West Yorks., believes the standing stones had the ideal acoustics to amplify a "repetitive trance rhythm".

The original Stonehenge probably had a "very pleasant, almost concert-like acoustic" that our ancestors slowly perfected over many generations

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: The Telegraph
  • Like 1

soooo..

a bunch of hippie druids lugged a bunch of several tonne rocks into place so they could eat mushrooms and have a drum circle and dance around?

awesome.

edit:

*wishes to be a druid*

Edited by the rebirth
  • Like 2

Rock on Brothers!!

We will, We will, Rock You.

^_^

Ah Yes, that's one past life I'll never forget. Those Stonehedge parties were the best!! One big musical shrooming booming love fest. ^_^

• Like 1

Wouldnt it be hilarious if this was correct, and they did use it for some ancient chanting ritual thing? It is probably just some religious monument tho, meant for nothing else but to stand there. i mean all over the world, differant cultures honour their gods by constructing these bizarre things. I think university people get paid too much to come up with silly things like this. I wonder why they only built one though?

And yet...it would make so much sense...

a bunch of hippie druids lugged a bunch of several tonne rocks into place so they could eat mushrooms and have a drum circle and dance around?

Stonehenge...the First Woodstock!

Edited by aquatus1

• 4 years later...

So I guess that's where "The Stones" did their first gig.....

ssssssssssssssss.

" StoneStock "

Makes perfect sense to me. Think vibrations, sound waves, perfect match. That gatherings, rituals, ceremonies took place within the circle of stones seems perfectly right to me. Meditate much?

Oh, Red Rock Canyon in Colorado is a natural amphitheater made up of sandstone monoliths. Naturally formed though, not placed there. The acoustics are phenomenal, actually the word "perfect" was used in several of references I read about the place. This has been reported & documented by local folks back to the year 1900 and it was turned into a park for concerts in the early 1900's. . The Ute tribe native to this area of Colorado used this site, though I don't have detailed info on what they may have performed there.