Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human Race - Doing the Right Thing?

Xibalba

I know that there are those out there that enjoy life. Good for them. Whenever I look at the things that they claim brings them happiness, fulfillment, even a meaning to life itself, I see only shallow falsities. Instead I harbor inside me an intense feeling of emptiness, a sense that we (the we is significant) are not fulfilling our purpose. I don't claim that there is in fact any purpose to life at all, that I or anyone else has been given a special destiny by a higher power. Perhaps it is like that, a spiritual phenomena. Perhaps it has a scientific explanation, that our very nature on a genetic level is programmed to behave a certain way, yet we have been given the free will to defy it, and while doing so gives us technology and convenience, it also brings sadness. Perhaps it stems from a subconscious awareness of all the suffering and injustice of the world. Or maybe it is simply a feeling with no basis in reality. After all, some people apparently don't feel it. But I'm certainly not the only one.

Don't get me wrong. I think our current way of life, while not without its flaws, is fantastical and allows people freedom in ways our ancestors couldn't have imagined. The rational part of me sees that this is most probably the greatest way of life the human race has ever experienced thus far. Sadly, it is only for a privileged few at this time. But still, the feeling is there. Why?

What I find significant about this feeling is that it doesn't seem to be purely personal - I don't feel empty because I myself am not living the right way. Instead it seems to stem from a sense that we are all doing it wrong. My personal life is fairly decent. I get brief, fleeting pleasure from certain activities, albeit only if I suppress my awareness of the fact that what I am doing is ultimately unimportant. Nothing I do gives me a permanent sense of satisfaction (is it even possible for a human being to be constantly happy without constant stimulation?) This seems to be true for other people (that I have asked) that experience this feeling as well - instead of describing it as a personal depression, they see it as a 'sense' or 'awareness' that something is 'wrong' with the human race, the world, even the universe. Another significant thing about this feeling is that we that experience it function normally. We are able to suppress or distract from it, temporarily, in order to get on with our daily lives. A depressed person cannot do this, their feelings consistently influence the way they function, even to the point where they do not function at all. There was a time once when I believed what I experienced was depression - after all, it kicked in during my mid-teens, a time when hormones run rampant, sometimes maliciously. Not desiring to live with this feeling, I took anti-depressants (two different kinds), even seeing a psychiatrist. The feeling did not go away. If I was depressed, wouldn't I have been cured?

So what is wrong? Clearly something, as this feeling exists, in some way, and is unpleasant. Do you feel it also? Why is this happening?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John from Lowell

• 8th_wall

• Aubrienne_Ellyrias

• Crow Woman

I know what your mean, i think.

I feel it and have allways thought the issue was technology and popular opinion has advanced faster the our genetic evolution.

Distractions from the "void" are found in simple enjoyable motor tasks, but as soon as we stop, it's like "what is everyone doing? This life is crazy."

Its like, my mind wrestles with modern problems, but everyone subcounciosness still think there out in the wild.

So it's not like somthing is missing, to me that emptyness is complexity. And the real meaning of life, is the absence of meaning.

I know that there are those out there that enjoy life. Good for them. Whenever I look at the things that they claim brings them happiness, fulfillment, even a meaning to life itself, I see only shallow falsities. Instead I harbor inside me an intense feeling of emptiness, a sense that we (the we is significant) are not fulfilling our purpose. I don't claim that there is in fact any purpose to life at all, that I or anyone else has been given a special destiny by a higher power. Perhaps it is like that, a spiritual phenomena. Perhaps it has a scientific explanation, that our very nature on a genetic level is programmed to behave a certain way, yet we have been given the free will to defy it, and while doing so gives us technology and convenience, it also brings sadness. Perhaps it stems from a subconscious awareness of all the suffering and injustice of the world. Or maybe it is simply a feeling with no basis in reality. After all, some people apparently don't feel it. But I'm certainly not the only one.

Don't get me wrong. I think our current way of life, while not without its flaws, is fantastical and allows people freedom in ways our ancestors couldn't have imagined. The rational part of me sees that this is most probably the greatest way of life the human race has ever experienced thus far. Sadly, it is only for a privileged few at this time. But still, the feeling is there. Why?

What I find significant about this feeling is that it doesn't seem to be purely personal - I don't feel empty because I myself am not living the right way. Instead it seems to stem from a sense that we are all doing it wrong. My personal life is fairly decent. I get brief, fleeting pleasure from certain activities, albeit only if I suppress my awareness of the fact that what I am doing is ultimately unimportant. Nothing I do gives me a permanent sense of satisfaction (is it even possible for a human being to be constantly happy without constant stimulation?) This seems to be true for other people (that I have asked) that experience this feeling as well - instead of describing it as a personal depression, they see it as a 'sense' or 'awareness' that something is 'wrong' with the human race, the world, even the universe. Another significant thing about this feeling is that we that experience it function normally. We are able to suppress or distract from it, temporarily, in order to get on with our daily lives. A depressed person cannot do this, their feelings consistently influence the way they function, even to the point where they do not function at all. There was a time once when I believed what I experienced was depression - after all, it kicked in during my mid-teens, a time when hormones run rampant, sometimes maliciously. Not desiring to live with this feeling, I took anti-depressants (two different kinds), even seeing a psychiatrist. The feeling did not go away. If I was depressed, wouldn't I have been cured?

So what is wrong? Clearly something, as this feeling exists, in some way, and is unpleasant. Do you feel it also? Why is this happening?

It's not classical depression. It's ennui. You need to find a passion for your life, something to make your soul burn. Good luck.

We are in a time of great transformation. Some will define it as ascenion for both the planet and all who live upon her.

I suspect that you sense the urgency to awaken to this concept. It is the underlying reason for all that is taking place around us.

There actually is nothing wrong. For the first time in several thousand years we are creating desirable changes.

John

Beasts vs Machines

which ones better which one are we. Religion and Society states we are machines expected to serve our purpose. Nature and science however say we are Beasts built to survive. One is forced to choose and in doing so he corrupts his true self rendering a sense of incompleteness.

i beleive it is this confusion of self that causes depression. you wish to belong yet you strive to stand out.

Edited by Nik Xues

• 1 month later...

The global agenda in which significant minorities are implementing, is being furthered each and every single day. We do not have a say, this evolution of technology and science continues to snowball forwards whether we like it or not.

Evolution is furthered by the minority, while the majority of us, we simply live in the framework of it.

You probably sense that we are all doing it wrong, because you surround yourself with paranoia or negativity. News channels will constantly bombard us with depressing news, all around the world, while the entertainment side bombards us with shallow celebrities. Seeing these negative influences repeatedly, will cause you to become disillusioned with the world.

You, as an individual, needs to discover what makes you tick, don't allow yourself to be dragged down by a sense that the whole world is in disarray. Everybody is an individual, many of us are not shallow, many of us are inspirational, many of us are heroes, you need to study philosophy, you need to seek out your heroes and it will change your opinion on the world. You will realise that there are magnificent people out there, doing magnificent things and you yourself could be one of them.

You must look inside yourself and find out what you want to contribute while you're on this Earth. Do something worthwhile, don't feel sorry for yourself.

Don't worry about the whole human race though, its out of your power, you can't account for the actions for everybody. But if you are inspirational enough, you can influence many people into doing the right thing. Your contribution if you will.

I often feel this way too. And I often wonder what exactly I can do.

didn't read the whole thing, but im going to answer your question. i personally think so yes. we are..actually i think america and other countries are. there are some countries where they are perfect almost and actually are smart and not blinded by entertainment and what they see on t.v i think so though we are so ignorant and lazy to make things better even one person changing doesnt make it better it would be awesome if everyone stopped being lazy, ignorant and stupid and beleiving so hard in some stupid things, and just be in an agreement for the whole world to change for best, but it wont happen. i dont see it happening as long im alive actually and i've lost hope.

Edited by Lost Souls

i think so though we are so ignorant and lazy to make things better even one person changing doesnt make it better it would be awesome if everyone stopped being lazy, ignorant and stupid and beleiving so hard in some stupid things, and just be in an agreement for the whole world to change for best, but it wont happen. i dont see it happening as long im alive actually and i've lost hope.

The only way that I know of to change the world is to change yourself.

I have not lost hope. I use compassion and kindness with every aspect of myself. So far it has worked.

John

You are not alone. Everything in life will have mistakes for the Universe must balance negatives and positives. If there is too much positive energy, that balance will break apart. I am always depressed, always seeing flaws, but the thing that always is there is Hope. Hope is something that will always come even in a small amount. But that Hope never drives away the Darkness that fills me, that surrounds me.

yes, the human race is heading down the wrong path in my opinion. But that does not include every human. There are others who want to go against the flow. But there are not enough of those people. People in general are selfish, greedy, lazy. People have gotten too attached to their electronics....

I know that there are those out there that enjoy life. Good for them. Whenever I look at the things that they claim brings them happiness, fulfillment, even a meaning to life itself, I see only shallow falsities.

Aren't you envious that they're able to create complete happiness even if its a falsity? :) I'd be more than happy (duh) with that way of living to be honest.

Instead I harbor inside me an intense feeling of emptiness, a sense that we (the we is significant) are not fulfilling our purpose. I don't claim that there is in fact any purpose to life at all, that I or anyone else has been given a special destiny by a higher power. Perhaps it is like that, a spiritual phenomena. Perhaps it has a scientific explanation, that our very nature on a genetic level is programmed to behave a certain way, yet we have been given the free will to defy it, and while doing so gives us technology and convenience, it also brings sadness. Perhaps it stems from a subconscious awareness of all the suffering and injustice of the world. Or maybe it is simply a feeling with no basis in reality. After all, some people apparently don't feel it. But I'm certainly not the only one.

This simply stems from a feeling that you're not doing what you think you should be doing. I ready a comment that says you need to find your passion for life. This is difficult especially for critical thinkers like yourself. Its in your nature to question everything to a deep level, the world humans/we have created for ourselves is not perfect, it would be ignorant to assume it is. This being the case its an evolutionary desire to seek perfection so you'll always get a feeling of, "There has to be something more..." The problem that arises when trying to look for anything specific is that eventually it will fall to pieces, you end up looking for meaning that can not be disputed by researching physics/pure mathematics etc. This is like trying to mess around with the binary code of life, an incredibly time consuming task. The best thing you can do is to accept a generalization of what you think you should believe in and to not question it too deeply :P.

I get ridiculously wrapped up in these emotions sometimes. At the moment I'm not entirely sure how to deal with them so I let them slide as best I can and wait for something else to happen. The trick to it all is to make sure you're always doing something or at least feel like you're doing something. People who feel like they're doing nothing in any way shape or farm or feel like they're doing the opposite to what they should be eventually end up in a suicide situation.

(Everything I've said here is personal opinion)

I think humanity as a whole has been going downhill ever since we first started using money and worshiping gods. They're just two more reasons for us to kill each other.