Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran plans to build heavy water reactor

<bleeding_heart>

Iran is to begin work in June on building a heavy water reactor which could be used as part of a fuel cycle to produce bomb-grade plutonium, said diplomats in Vienna.

"Iran is to announce soon that it will be beginning work in June on a heavy water research reactor in Arak," 200 kilometres southwest of Tehran, a diplomat close to the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) told The AFP.

IAEA director general Mohamed ElBaradei returned to Vienna Wednesday from Tehran, where he had recieved a promise from the Iranian leadership to adhere to a timetable to finally answer charges it is trying secretly to develop nuclear weapons.

The reactor to be built at Arak would not be in violation of safeguards which the IAEA enforces under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), the diplomat said. But he added it could send a "bad political signal" from Iran to the international community.

Iran has said the Arak reactor would be for research and the production of radioisotopes for medical and industrial use.

On Tuesday, Secretary for Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Hassan Rowhani said the recent agreements with ElBaradei indicated that the remaining issues with the IAEA would be settled in the next two months.

Full Article

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fearfulone

• shirini

• Gazz

• <bleeding_heart>

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

don't understand why we are all being so civil to a government that is constantly playing games.....We already know they have nukes, they support terrorists, violent their own citizens right, and haven’t tried to even help ( as far as I know) in Iraq or with Taliban other then criticize.

Why do we keep letting them get away with stuff like this?

Edited by shirini

whistling2.gif It's the end of the world as we know it...its the end of the world as we know it... its the end of the world as we know it...and i feel fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistling2.gif

What I don't see in this report is the

fact that Iran's nuclear plants are all

under contract to be built by the Russians.

The contract was signed long before the

war with Iraq, and is said to be worth

over $10,000,000,000 yes thats 10 BILLION

with a B.

The russians claim that the nuclear program

the Iranians are active in and working

with the russians under contract are

for the peacful production of electric

power ONLY.

But if they are building a "heavy water"

nuclear reactor that can be used for

the production of pure plutonium.

it is scarey to say the least.

In my opinion this must be taken out in

a pre-emptive strike, we have no choise

if they go ahead with these plans.

There is no way in hell we will let Iran

develop nuclear weapons, or the material

to build them.

Gazz

Iran's nuclear plants are all

under contract to be built by the Russians.

got a source for this? i havent heard this before...that's besides the point...i think once bush wins the election again he will be free to go after the remaining of the axis of evil (iran sudan n. korea)...it'll be a quick ww3 but it'll be bloody.... crying.gif

but we gotta do it in order to keep our way of life

Edited by fearfulone

Thanks wink2.gif ...great links! thumbsup.gif

You know, im starting to think russia wants to become a large superpower again and will do anything to get there...include try and screw the US and UK over...again...crazy russians.... w00t.gif ....i hope we dont have another world war or cold war....i'm not sure i want to live through something like that. I mean, in my lifetime, we've had small wars here and there ( not to demean their importance or loss of lives), but nothing huge...although, if it were to come to draft status, of course i'd defend my country! grin2.gif

Yes thanks.. I was about to post several

links myself.

This is much more than just nuke plants.

The russians are actually selling weapons

and missle technology to the Iranians.

That is why it scares me.

They may not be directly turning Iran

into a nuclear power.. but they are selling

them all of the tools to do it.

Russia defence of this is simple economics.

Russia needs money... badly!

and looks like they don't care what they

sell or to what nation, even if that nation

is a threat to the security of the world.

Or maybe the russians have a deeper

secret agenda in doing this with Iran.

Maybe they think they can sit back and

watch the destruction of the USA via a

3rd party.

Thus launching a nuclear attack against

the USA and being able to claim they had

nothing to do with it.

and while the USA is weakened the russians

could be planning to take advantage of

the situation.

I know this sounds crazy, but these days

anything seems possible.

Gazz

Edit: added comments

Don't forget that in the begining of this

war in Iraq we caught the russians selling

night vision goggles and anti missle

radar and communications jammers to the

Iraqis.

These jammers caused one of our tomahawk

cruise missles to go off course and hit

inside turkey.

Later we fired on a convoy headed out of

Iraq and found out that one of the cars

was full of russian diplomats.

The russians complained about it to the

UN.

Why are the russians so busy with our

enemies?

Hmmmm

Edited by Gazz

Although I would like to see Iran's government gone...I don't think we should start a new war! Iran has been pounded blow dirt for that 25 years by this government, it will need a lot of time and money to bring to an acceptable level and right now we need to first finish what we started in Iraq. We need go to back with a nice long program and fix what was done so in Afghanistan, that way we have them trapped. Remember, Iran government is there because the people wanted them, probably still do. We should not worsen our position in that area.

As for Gazz comment on Russian contract, this is old news, like in late 1980’s, I think

Yeah, i was joking bout the war thing...i think honestly that we will do a good job in iraq eventually...afghanistan is starting to get better off......besides that... gazz i do remember hearing about the iran russian deals in the 80's, u sure this info is current? if so...i think you may be right with the russian conspiracy...i think they still got tension with us from the cold war disgust.gif

Gazz info on Russia and Iran is current but it's an old and still standing contract...those guys are buddies.

wink2.gif now i get the picture.... thumbsup.gif thanks for clearing that up shirini...either way... iran and russia, whether its a continuous friendship or a new one...can not look good disgust.gif

gazz i do remember hearing about the iran russian deals in the 80's, u sure this info is current? if so...i think you may be right with the russian conspiracy...i think they still got tension with us from the cold war

It is as current as the war with Iraq.

Just before this war in Iraq began, Bush

asked Putin to abandon all nuclear

contracts with Iran.

The russian leader said they would not.

and stated that the Iranian contracts

were valid and they would continue as

planned.

Also said that the nuclear plants Iran

was seeking were of a "peacfrul nature"

it is very current.

do some research yourself!