Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Face of a Egyptian mummy revealed by scan..

cerberus

Ancient Egyptian Mummy's Face revealed

The curse of the mummy has long been feared among archaeologists, but now they have found a way to release the secrets of the sarcophagus without incurring the wrath of the ancient Egyptians.

Using the latest medical scanning techniques, the mummified remains of temple priest Nesperennub, who lived before 800BC, have been revealed - without unsealing his coffin.

The British Museum, which has been in been in possession of Nesperennub since 1889, called in a team from the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in London to photograph the remains using a CAT brain scanner.

Scientists took 1,500 images, which were fed into a super-computer to build up a 3-D image of the 35-year-old.

The images reveal Nesperennub, who was an important adviser to the Pharaoh Sheshonq III, was buried with large rings on each hand and a winged scarab dung beetle on his chest to guard his journey into the afterlife.

He also has an earthenware bowl stuck to his head, which archaeologists believe may have become accidentally attached during the embalming process. It appears they may have tried to remove it, but gave up because the sticky resin had stuck the pot to his head too firmly.

The images also show Nesperennub was well nourished with good teeth.

It is not known how he died, although a shallow hole in his skull may be an indicator that he had cancer.

The new technique enables archaeologists to preserve the mummified remains of the ancient Egyptians.

Dr John Taylor, assistant keeper at the British Museum's department of ancient Egypt and Sudan explained: "The sarcophagus is completely sealed at the moment. If we opened it up the skeleton of the mummy would just be destroyed by exposure to the air.

"An important aspect of using the scans is that we are preserving a valuable scientific resource for future research.

"The initial results have absolutely exceeded our expectations."

The pictures will go on display at the British Museum from July 1.

Report by AOL News 7.04.04.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cerberus

• TheOracle

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• Cobalt Demon

Here are a couple of pictures for you Daughter of the Nine Moons thumbsup.gif

post-69-1081386149.jpg

And here is another one

post-69-1081386219.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures for you Daughter of the Nine Moons

Thanks TheOracle original.gif

Cool Pics. The first photos I ever saw of a real mummy was in National Geographic (long, long time ago) of Ramses II.

Dot9M

I could not post the picture links here.. It would not let me.

Sorry about that.

Interesting all the same, eh?

will you get a load of those teeth ph34r.gif hate to think they looked like that when he was alive - could it also be that he was a vampire whistling2.gif

• 3 months later...

Whah he needs braces

He had an earthenware bowl stuck to his head during embalming process? That LOL funny! Kewl pictures. It's funny that they only thought of this technique now. X-ray has been around for what 50-so years?

That is Nosferatu! There is our proof that Nosferatu actually exist!

anyway the reason teeth seems scary is cause it's his upper teeth and the roots of it. But look closely, you should see his lower teeth right under it. At first I was scared to death at the sight until I look closer then I laugh at myself.

Hi,

Unbelievable. Advisor to the pharoah and they manage to get a pot stuck to his head.

I bet the pharoah requsted some other embalmers do the deed when he went. Heh heh.

Maybe he chose to have the bowl on his head so that the aliens couldn`t get to his brains. Earthenware bowls might have been the Egyption equal to a tin foil helmet with forks stuck to it. Heh heh grin2.gif

Sarah

p.s. Sorry but I have totally forgotten how to spell pharoah

Thats really awesome and will help archeaologist all over the world. They wont have to open all the sarcopheaguses althought I doubt this will stop them. It will just give them some pretty pictures to go with the discovery. I am aiming to become an archeaologist and even with this x-ray technique to see whats inside I would want to open it up to see it with my own eyes. The curse might get me though.

I had a teacher who was an archeaologist who was with a whole team who discovered a tomb and opened a sarcopheagus which had a curse on it. They were all relatively young too when they opened it and within 2-3 years they had all died deside my teacher and one day an artifact from the site the dug up appeared on her bed even though it was supposed to be locked up somewhere in egypt. So maybe these curses are something to worry about after all!!! Just repect these peoples reamins and their civilisation and you should be right......I think!!! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A bowel stuck to his head laugh.gif

My people are the greatest!:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that's amazing! The wonders of technology.