Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deep meditation

Tabelda

<_< I'm new at this meditating thing ... I don't know what to expect i guess. I'm trying to find a state of relaxation, or a way to clear my mind, sometimes trying to focus on my inner voice. Ive tried so many times, Ive targeted on certain things, I've played music... I've laid in bed trying to find an internal peace. Its hard for me to achieve a cloudless mind, or stay focused. The only thing I have ever accomplished is a feeling of vibrations in my body, that's about it. Is this a sign that I've reached a state of relaxation? What are some things you have experienced? Or ways of meditating that works for you? Thanks ^_^ Edited by Tabelda

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John from Lowell

• eight bits

• Tabelda

• Meiliken

Hello, Tableda. Why is this topic in "psychic abilities?" Oh well.

The "relaxation response" (searchable) is a natural condition, just as being awake and being asleep are natural conditions. It is not something that you make happen, it is something that you allow to happen. You allow it to happen by sitting down, shutting up, and staying that way for a while.

As with many things, you get there a little easier or faster, or maybe can stay there a little longer, after you've done it a few times. I suspect that when people say they get bored, they are unsure that meditation has any effects and are waiting for "something" to happen. So, they get "itchy." Doing it a few times clarifies expectations, and so cures the boredom.

Or maybe people are expecting something other than what the relaxation response feels like. It's not very dramatic, but then, that's the idea - to be awake without the drama. Again, doing it even a few times straightens that out.

Like ordinary wakefulness and sleep, there is a time of being in the condition, uninterested in being in any other condition. And also like sleep and wakefulness, it just ends at some point, and you are ready to move into another state. Either sleep or ordinary wakefulness is reachable from the relaxation response.

There are any number of things you can "do with your mind" while you are waiting. So far as I can tell, they all work. It's just a matter of what you like, so long as it doesn't interfere with the shutting up part. Talking to yourself, even silently, is not shutting up.

By "talking to yourself," I mean having a virtual conversation. For example, someone might review their day, plan the next day, add up their investment portfolio. Other people talk to themselves about meditation and their expectations of it. In other words, people say to themselves things they might say to someone else, with involvement in what they would say.

No, put that stuff aside for 10, 15, or 20 minutes.

Some people do use their inner voice during meditation, for example, in mantras (searchable), or occasional admonitions ("shut up" if and when you become aware that you've been conversing with yourself). That is not "talking to yourself" in the sense I meant.

Hope that helps.

<_< I'm new at this meditating thing ... I don't know what to expect i guess. I'm trying to find a state of relaxation, or a way to clear my mind, sometimes trying to focus on my inner voice. Ive tried so many times, Ive targeted on certain things, I've played music... I've laid in bed trying to find an internal peace. Its hard for me to achieve a cloudless mind, or stay focused. The only thing I have ever accomplished is a feeling of vibrations in my body, that's about it. Is this a sign that I've reached a state of relaxation? What are some things you have experienced? Or ways of meditating that works for you? Thanks ^_^

The way that I know that I've reached the state of relaxation during meditation periods is when I feel like I'm light, there's not a sound amongest all the noise around me, and scent of Dragon's Blood enscense becomes almost scentless.

<_< I'm new at this meditating thing ... I don't know what to expect i guess. I'm trying to find a state of relaxation, or a way to clear my mind, sometimes trying to focus on my inner voice. Ive tried so many times, Ive targeted on certain things, I've played music... I've laid in bed trying to find an internal peace. Its hard for me to achieve a cloudless mind, or stay focused. The only thing I have ever accomplished is a feeling of vibrations in my body, that's about it. Is this a sign that I've reached a state of relaxation? What are some things you have experienced? Or ways of meditating that works for you? Thanks ^_^

Hello Tabelda,

One of the things that can happen when you have learned to quiet the chatty mind, is that you will notice more about your body. Your body will make you aware of things you would not notice when you are paying attention to the logical mind.

I, unlike 8 bits, hope that your conversations are not in the nature of a virtual dialogue. That would foster the logical mind and keep you distracted from the inner dialoge you seek. It is not inadvisable to practice a virtual conversation from time to time, we can not go far without our logical thought constructs. However the inner voice you seek comes from the heart. It is the inner guidance from your spirit or the real self.

The perfect place to put this thread is in the psychic abilities forum. That is the best place where those who work with abstract energies will see your thread. We are all psychic in various ways. That is because we are all energy beings connected to each other and all that is. The only way to really appreciate this concept, is to practice meditations that put you in touch with your inner wisdom and knowledge.

Do not be concerned about staying focused, that will come in time. Set your intention to connect and listen to that inner voice. Be kind to your distractions and they will not be as inclined to get in your way. When you recognize a distraction, bring your imagined dialogue back in line with your desired intentions. Learn to love all that you are and you will become masterful.

John

I, unlike 8 bits, hope that your conversations are not in the nature of a virtual dialogue.

Sorry that I was unclear, John.

I recommended that the meditator avoid talking to himself or herself, that is, avoid having a "virutal conversation."

Sorry that I was unclear, John.

I recommended that the meditator avoid talking to himself or herself, that is, avoid having a "virutal conversation."

Thanks for the clearing that up for me.

You can try focusing in on your aura colors too... Concentrate, bring it into your inner eye, and move on to the next..... Maroon, orange, yellow,green, blue,purple .... Happy Harmonizing!

Id suggest softening into your inner-chattering. Like a water droplet that is dropped into a small mass of water, it is first rejected through the outward pressure of the mass of water but once it slows down and softens into it, it becomes one and sends ripples as an after effect. You can ask yourself: What will I think of next? Be the observer.. You might be pleasantly surprised that nothing comes up at all, if if it does, take note of what youre saying - it might be important! Especially if its a flash of thought that came from no where, instead of the usual train of thoughts that proceed from one idea to the next.

Anyway, mantra's work wonders. As well as observing your breathing.

Find what works for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

when I meditate I usually use calming music and incense I found out the best smells are lavender and rose. But any type will work. It also helps me if I take a shower before I meditate bc it helps me relax. I hope this helps you.

• 1 month later...

My own method of meditation begins with a completely quiet atmosphere. No music, no sounds of cars, no televisions. Sounds of nature, or things claming but not overbearing work. Nothing like say for example, whale songs, or instrumental music. Those distract your mind and make you focus on those instead. Lay down on something you're completely comfortable on. Close your eyes and cease all movements except breathing. Don't scratch a single itch, no matter how much it gets to you. These itches are the body letting you feel itself. That's what you need to concentrate on. I usually start at my feet and remove all feeling of it. You'll know when you achieve that part of it, when your feet feel like they've fallen asleep without the feeling of needles. Once you have your feet done, you can continue up for each body part, until the only thing aware of feeling is your mind. Your breathing will slow so much that any on looker might be fearful of you stopping breathing. When the body is completely under, it requires very little oxygen. As oppposed to what others have said about not hearing or anything else, once you truly achieve this, your other senses aside from feeling will be enhanced. Sight(though you won't open your eyes), sound, and smell will all become so acute, you could hear a pin drop in another room, or smell flowers that others will miss. Some people on here will say what I do isn't real, but in reality, this is how hypnosis works unto which psychologists use on patients. That is the best possible way to learn meditation. Start there and only there. Too many people try to instruct you to start from crawling, and jump to running. Start there, and only there. Once you have that mastered, you can advance. Hopefully this helps.

Edited by Meiliken