Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shaking Bed

Jinxx

Hi guys!

Last night I was well into the land of nod, and at around 2:11AM [first thing I did was check my clock] I was woken up by my bed shaking under me. At first I thought I was half asleep and imagining it, so I sat up and hit the light on my bedside table and it was still moving. It did it for around 2/3 minutes and then stopped.

My bed isn't a flimsy effort, it's a double bed with a mattress that is a foot thick and very, very heavy - it takes 4 people to take it off my bed for me.

The only thing i've ever experienced like that was during the UK earthquake last year. Saying that though, this was a quicker shaking, almost like a vibration of some kind?

Anyway, I don't really know what to make of it, I checked earthquake reports and asked around and nobody else felt anything, so I've ruled that out in my head already. Can anyone offer any insight as to what this was?

[My room is haunted, which is why i'm posting here...could a paranormal being have that much strength to cause a bed to shake?]

• Like 1

Assuming it wasnt an earthquake... do you have any animals in the house? Possibly the furnace vibrating the floors/bed? I would look for the most logical explanation first before you make that jump to paranormal. :tu:

Assuming it wasnt an earthquake... do you have any animals in the house? Possibly the furnace vibrating the floors/bed? I would look for the most logical explanation first before you make that jump to paranormal. :tu:

Thanks for replying! :)

Nope, we don't have any animals in the house. I spoke to my sibling this morning to ask if he'd felt anything around that time and he said no he hadn't, and he was awake at the time. The furnace/boiler tank is above/in his room, so if there is any activity from that he gets it before any of us, so I don't really know what happened :S

Sounds like you've watched 'The Excorsist' one too many times. :D

Reminds me of the time when I was about 11 or 12 and saw 'The Excorsist' for the first time. The very next morning at around 6am there was a small earthquake in the region. We never have earthquakes in central NY, but of all the mornings that the 1 rare one happened, it was that morning. LOL - scared the living daylights out of me too.

I have a sleighbed. We got it when we were living in New Jersey. I felt it shake down there, and now I still do up here. Before the sleighbed, just had the basic bed on a frame, with wheels on the bottom, and a flimsy headboard. I don't remember the bed shaking then. I wonder if a particular bedframe picks up vibrations. I thought at first it was occurances of our New Jersey haunted house, but I am having doubts that our bed is doing this in our house now. It's just a thought I'm running with here. Just a thought.

Hi guys!

Last night I was well into the land of nod, and at around 2:11AM [first thing I did was check my clock] I was woken up by my bed shaking under me. At first I thought I was half asleep and imagining it, so I sat up and hit the light on my bedside table and it was still moving. It did it for around 2/3 minutes and then stopped.

My bed isn't a flimsy effort, it's a double bed with a mattress that is a foot thick and very, very heavy - it takes 4 people to take it off my bed for me.

The only thing i've ever experienced like that was during the UK earthquake last year. Saying that though, this was a quicker shaking, almost like a vibration of some kind?

Anyway, I don't really know what to make of it, I checked earthquake reports and asked around and nobody else felt anything, so I've ruled that out in my head already. Can anyone offer any insight as to what this was?

[My room is haunted, which is why i'm posting here...could a paranormal being have that much strength to cause a bed to shake?]

Hi Jinxx,

Let me say straight off that I'm skeptical about paranormal experiences so, if you are a firm believer, then please don't take offence at what I say (I won't at your belief! :P )

When I was younger I had all the usual 'paranormal' sleep experiences. Falling/flying, bed shaking etc, etc. As I learnt more about what the mind is capable of projecting upon us (not in the real sense, but what it can make us believe) I have looked back at those experiences with a degree of skepticism. Hypnagogic hallucinations can be extremely realistic - and even have a 'residual' effect that what we dream/hallucinate about seems to be occurring in our waking experience. The 'shaking bed' dream is a (relatively) common one, but as far as I know has not been associated with any sleep disorder such as S-P (sleep paralysis). Not to say it isn't, but no studies that I could find looked into any links.

One thing you could do to check if any actual bed shaking took place is look for evidence. If your room had a wooden floor, then a shaking bed will certainly mark that floor. Maybe cellotape a piece of chalk to the headboard and touching the wall (if it is against a wall) and see if this indicates the bed physically shakes.

My suspicion is that it doesn't, but please experiment to find out.

My bed was moving at one time but it turns out I had put something under the bed that was slightly too big to fit under there. What this did was put the whole mattress on a pivot point and it would appear to move slightly when you would shift your weight or move around in bed. It really freaked me out for a while because even a slight shift in weight would cause the movement and the object under the bed was so small that I never thought it would cause that to happen.

Check under your bed for anything that might lift one edge even a tiny bit. At the same time, moving beds or the feeling of someone poking you through the mattress is a very common thing to have happen when your house is haunted. If you want it to stop, next time it happens, ask it to stop. Just speak a loud and say hey im trying to sleep I don't bother you when you are sleeping do I? Say whatever you feel is appropriate but try not to sound really angry unless your first attempt is ignored.

i remember my first bed shake, it was a wierd experience. it was in my dorm room and the only thing that could move was me or the matress. the bed itself was a solid block of wood and wieghed 200lbs, it was flush to the floor aswell.try wakeing up to the matress shaking and not seeing anyone there and have it continuosly shake while your praying to get what ever it is out of there and then suddenly stop.

poltergeist in the home?

some have been reported to be quite powerful. tossing objects, moving people.

Edited by Agent. Mulder

I was woken up by my bed shaking under me.

Did someone put a quarter in while you were sleeping? :P

love those magic fingers

Before classifying your room as being haunted... do you want to share what actual activity happens there, and why it is just that room and not the entire home/building? Why do you consider it to be haunted, and have you actually gotten the run down from a professional investigatior to have that title applied realistically? Because that doesn't make a lot of sense, to me, why one portion out of the entire location would be haunted, and all of the others are a-okay. Spirits are free roaming, there's no gate or portal that stops them from going beyond the door jamb.

Hi guys!

in an intense/stressful (possibly scary) situation, like that must have been, 3 minutes would literally seem like an eternity. why didn't you get up and try to figure out what was going on?

Thank you everyone for replying!

I have a sleighbed. We got it when we were living in New Jersey. I felt it shake down there, and now I still do up here. Before the sleighbed, just had the basic bed on a frame, with wheels on the bottom, and a flimsy headboard. I don't remember the bed shaking then. I wonder if a particular bedframe picks up vibrations. I thought at first it was occurances of our New Jersey haunted house, but I am having doubts that our bed is doing this in our house now. It's just a thought I'm running with here. Just a thought.

I thought about it being the bed, and it very well could be! It's a large, double bed with a heavy metal frame that is pushed into one corner of my room and sits right on the floor, no wheels, and the headboard is also made of thick tubular metal. It could be picking up a vibration, but it would have to be a very strong one to make a bed of its weight/size move. Still, it is possible!

Hi Jinxx,

Let me say straight off that I'm skeptical about paranormal experiences so, if you are a firm believer, then please don't take offence at what I say (I won't at your belief! :P )

When I was younger I had all the usual 'paranormal' sleep experiences. Falling/flying, bed shaking etc, etc. As I learnt more about what the mind is capable of projecting upon us (not in the real sense, but what it can make us believe) I have looked back at those experiences with a degree of skepticism. Hypnagogic hallucinations can be extremely realistic - and even have a 'residual' effect that what we dream/hallucinate about seems to be occurring in our waking experience. The 'shaking bed' dream is a (relatively) common one, but as far as I know has not been associated with any sleep disorder such as S-P (sleep paralysis). Not to say it isn't, but no studies that I could find looked into any links.

One thing you could do to check if any actual bed shaking took place is look for evidence. If your room had a wooden floor, then a shaking bed will certainly mark that floor. Maybe cellotape a piece of chalk to the headboard and touching the wall (if it is against a wall) and see if this indicates the bed physically shakes.

My suspicion is that it doesn't, but please experiment to find out.

No offence taken whatsoever! :)

When the bed first started shaking, I woke up and I was still half asleep and I thought that I was dreaming so I ignored, but it didn't stop shaking, it just carried on so I sat up, hit the light and started feeling around/looking around my room for any sign of what was causing it. I was listening to music at the time too, so after sitting up and seeing nothing I turned my ipod off and took my headphones out to see if i could hear anything, I don't know if this has anything to do with it? I will experiment with that tonight to see if it happens again, thanks!

My bed was moving at one time but it turns out I had put something under the bed that was slightly too big to fit under there. What this did was put the whole mattress on a pivot point and it would appear to move slightly when you would shift your weight or move around in bed. It really freaked me out for a while because even a slight shift in weight would cause the movement and the object under the bed was so small that I never thought it would cause that to happen.

Check under your bed for anything that might lift one edge even a tiny bit. At the same time, moving beds or the feeling of someone poking you through the mattress is a very common thing to have happen when your house is haunted. If you want it to stop, next time it happens, ask it to stop. Just speak a loud and say hey im trying to sleep I don't bother you when you are sleeping do I? Say whatever you feel is appropriate but try not to sound really angry unless your first attempt is ignored.

Hey :) I checked under my bed and all that I have under there is a low box that is a foot smaller than my bed, so it doesn't come into contact with the frame/mattress at all.

It's the first time that it has happened, so it freaked me out quite a bit to be honest! Thanks for the advice!

i remember my first bed shake, it was a wierd experience. it was in my dorm room and the only thing that could move was me or the matress. the bed itself was a solid block of wood and wieghed 200lbs, it was flush to the floor aswell.try wakeing up to the matress shaking and not seeing anyone there and have it continuosly shake while your praying to get what ever it is out of there and then suddenly stop.

That sounds like quite an experience, did it ever happen again?

Before classifying your room as being haunted... do you want to share what actual activity happens there, and why it is just that room and not the entire home/building? Why do you consider it to be haunted, and have you actually gotten the run down from a professional investigatior to have that title applied realistically? Because that doesn't make a lot of sense, to me, why one portion out of the entire location would be haunted, and all of the others are a-okay. Spirits are free roaming, there's no gate or portal that stops them from going beyond the door jamb.

Hey, sure :) We have quite a few happenings around our house, but most of the activity is in my bedroom. Friends who have stayed over have woken in the middle of the night to a figure standing over the bed staring down at them, and I also recently experienced that too. Electrical appliances switching themselves on and off, mostly my television which I took back at first because I thought it was faulty, but they could find nothing wrong with it. A one off experience was laying in the dark trying to get to sleep and seeing a ball of light reflected in a mirror but not in my actual room. Things beings moved, sudden temperature changes, odd smells and noises [all which could indeed be something not paranormal, but they are my experiences.]

I did have a paranormal investigator visit my house a while ago before my friend and I saw a figure; I worked with him and when I told him about activity in my house/room he offered to come and spend a few hours and take a look. The first thing he noticed in my room was my mirror, and he suggested maybe getting rid of it or moving it elsewhere because that is where he sensed most activity. I did get rid of it, and the amount of activity was reduced quite a bit - since i've not had any temp changes or had smells and noises. It was after this that the so called figure began appearing. There are few other things that do happen around the house, and I apologize for not including that in my first post! Sorry!

in an intense/stressful (possibly scary) situation, like that must have been, 3 minutes would literally seem like an eternity. why didn't you get up and try to figure out what was going on?

It was scary; I was very much freaked out. As above, I thought I was dreaming so I shrugged it off, but when the shaking didn't stop I sat up/looked around and turned my light on and then I removed my ipod. By the time i'd taken my ipod off and started to scramble out of bed to alert someone [because my first thought was earthquake] it had stopped.

WRONG it now costs .50 cent, inflation, and I heard about, of course I have no direct evidence.JN :blush:

WRONG it now costs .50 cent, inflation, and I heard about, of course I have no direct evidence.JN :blush:

Suuure... hearsay... gotcha... :lol:

Hey, sure :) We have quite a few happenings around our house, but most of the activity is in my bedroom. Friends who have stayed over have woken in the middle of the night to a figure standing over the bed staring down at them, and I also recently experienced that too. Electrical appliances switching themselves on and off, mostly my television which I took back at first because I thought it was faulty, but they could find nothing wrong with it. A one off experience was laying in the dark trying to get to sleep and seeing a ball of light reflected in a mirror but not in my actual room. Things beings moved, sudden temperature changes, odd smells and noises [all which could indeed be something not paranormal, but they are my experiences.]

I did have a paranormal investigator visit my house a while ago before my friend and I saw a figure; I worked with him and when I told him about activity in my house/room he offered to come and spend a few hours and take a look. The first thing he noticed in my room was my mirror, and he suggested maybe getting rid of it or moving it elsewhere because that is where he sensed most activity. I did get rid of it, and the amount of activity was reduced quite a bit - since i've not had any temp changes or had smells and noises. It was after this that the so called figure began appearing. There are few other things that do happen around the house, and I apologize for not including that in my first post! Sorry!

Makes sense now, thanks for sharing. :tu:

As for the bed, I'm not sure. I know several stories where poltergeist activity is accompanied by shaking beds, as well as malevolent entities, so it could be in your better interest to get another investigator in there.

The same thing happened to me..almost: I too was asleep, and suddenly awakened by an boom. I felt an aftershock, the house was shaking. I got up and immediately looked outside and walked around the house. Nothing unusual was outside and everyone was still asleep. I found it a bit odd that I was the only that experienced this. One theory is that it was my power company doing something....

There is an term for this shaking and hearing booms in the former part of the mornings, but I don't rem what it is.. :unsure:

As I didn't feel the shaking you are describing I can't say absolutely what it is but I can add my two cents. :)

You said it was almost a vibration?

I have two conditions (more but only two relevant) that cause me to wake up trembling or sometimes right before I fall asleep. I suffer from panic attacks and RLS. Some times, right before I fall asleep I have what I call my own personal earthquakes. It's a trembling that runs through my entire body. It feels just like a small tremor. It also will wake me at night especially if I have had a physically tough day or stressful.

May not be what you are dealing with but it's a thought.

:)

HN

this happened to my mom when she was little ... it does happen. all i know is that it happened to her and she was so scared cause she was only like 10. her grandmother was right there and it most certainly did happen. and earthquakes + massachusetts = no, so it happened.

Is there a train track within a few miles of your home?

Actually I had it happen twice. Once during my haunting, and another time a few months ago. I was wide awake but the bottom of the bed began to vibrate. I just laid there like HUH? I told it to stop and it did. I dont know what caused the second one, except for some reason I sensed it was a child spirit messing around. There are NO Earthquakes in Massachusetts is right!! :no:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states...n=Massachusetts

Sorry. Mass. has earthquakes.

A recent one, too, as a matter of fact. 2008 12 21 21:35:36 UTC

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/last_event_state...sachusetts.html

Edited by Ebonykrow

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states...n=Massachusetts

Sorry. Mass. has earthquakes.

A recent one, too, as a matter of fact. 2008 12 21 21:35:36 UTC

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/last_event_state...sachusetts.html

AWWWW Thank you for such informative sites. BTW I know the few we have had, but it didnt effect my area EVER..JN