Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

bill to eliminate ALL pitbulls in montana

SoulFire

I thought it would be cute to put up some pictures of the pittbulls that i'm talking about>

the brown one is called charais and the black and white one is called ruby :)

post-63784-1232491268_thumb.jpg

post-63784-1232491285_thumb.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulFire

• MissMelsWell

• Queenofthefairies

• BrigitTheGreat

Well yeah it has to do with genetics. I just meant that I don't think the color nose shows signs that their geneticaly different when it comes to size or anything like that. You can have a fawn pittie and a red pittie and they can look exactly the same in size and build but be two different colored noses. The color nose doesn't say anything about size or temperment or anything like that. It's just a color. Like how some people don't like black dogs. Or how a lot of people don't like brindle pits. Even though the color of their fur tells nothing about their personality. So some people think red pitties are more special then blue nosed pits. I say I doubt it...I really do. You think that the fact that the Colbys come in a bigger size has something to do with their nose color? I doubt it. They just happen to have a red nose and their breeders just happen to breed them to be bigger. You can do the same for a blue and black nosed pit. Just pick out the biggest of the litter and there you go.

no, that's not what i said at all. i said that different bloodlines have different genetics (just like people). several varieties of red nosed pits have the genetics to be very big. most breeders breed red nosed pits with other red nosed pits, so they usually end up being big. since there are several different varieties, most people just refer to them all as red nosed, instead of a specific name. i also said that from what i understand, some blues are very large because of their bloodline.

**black lab sends 8yr. old to hospital:

Terrible article, it gave no description of the animal, or the attack, just that people are mad. LOTS of dogs get labled as labs, but they aren't labs, they're mixed breeds with pits, or dals, or pointers etc... (I know, lots of dogs get labled as pits that aren't... well aware of that.)

**Owner charged with harboring viscious animal after lab attack

Again, the sentence "which the owner described as a black lab" doens't say much like the article above. It's probably another cross breed. Also, any dog chained to a porch, with no vaccinations, no vetinary care, and no attention (as stated in the article) is an abused dog. Abused dogs will attack, no matter the breed.

**15yr. old girl sent to hospital by lab/shep mix

We've already discussed this... shepards bite, they're herding.

This dog had a history of aggressive behavior, was it previously abused? The article doesn't say.

**4yr. old air lifted to hospital after being mauled by a boxer & a lab at a daycare center

The dog in this case was a lab mix. I would ask, mixed with WHAT? Look at the picture. The boxer mix was not removed from the home, and did not appear to be involved in the attack.

**infant mauled & killed by lab/pug

Read the article. They don't know which dog attacked and killed the baby. And a 2 month old infant was left ALONE as in UNATTENDED in a swing with dogs around? That's just stupid! Sad, but these people shouldn't have dogs OR children. Any moron knows you don't leave babies unattended with pets, pets are often jealous over new babies in the house and will do things they would not normally.

**young girl mauled by cocker spaniel receives 30 stitches

**2yr. old's face has to be stitched up after being bit by a cocker spaniel in the park

These two regarding cockers don't surprise me in the least... not at all. The ONLY dog I've ever been bit by (save my grandparents aussies), were cockers. I had a cocker for 7 years that was a HORRIFIC biter. Cockers are known for their fear aggression problems due to 50+ years of unchecked overbreeding. Cockers WILL maul, but that is not their nature to do so. The prepensity for a cocker to maul is a failure of the breeders to control their breeding stock and breeding lines.

i can post link after link after link and you can refute them all, for one reason or another, i'm sure. so look MMW, you make very good points and i respect your opinion. you have presented your feelings about this respectfully and in a very educated manner. i can really appreciate that & i know that you've put alot of thought and effort into your posts. you know what you know & i know what i know. nothing is going to change that. we agree that there are alot of pits out there that are "problem dogs" and they need to be dealt with. we agree that there are alot of irresponsible breeders and owners and they need to be dealt with. we also agree that banning an entire breed of dog isn't the way to deal with it. lets leave it at that, ok, and hope someone, someday, will come up with a sensible solution. that being said, i don't have the energy or time to continue with this thread. good luck with you dog MMW, peace.

I thought it would be cute to put up some pictures of the pittbulls that i'm talking about>

the black & white one is awsome.

the black & white one is awsome.

I know! she's MASSIVE and is still classed as being a puppy she's bigger now than in that photo which was taken months ago. they are both incredible dogs of pure breed heritage. :)

I prefer red nose pittbulls

I prefer brindle pits. I don't care about nose color but I LOVE brindle pits. They're the best. :)

Aww they're so cute!

no, that's not what i said at all. i said that different bloodlines have different genetics (just like people). several varieties of red nosed pits have the genetics to be very big. most breeders breed red nosed pits with other red nosed pits, so they usually end up being big. since there are several different varieties, most people just refer to them all as red nosed, instead of a specific name. i also said that from what i understand, some blues are very large because of their bloodline.

I'm sorry I must have misread your post. I thought you were implying that red and blue nose pits were different when you were saying how "red nosed pits and several varieties of colbys get WAY bigger than that" when I'm sure any Pit Bull red,blue, black nosed could get big depending on how the breeders breed them, not just red nose. I guess it's just because you have more experience with red pit bulls. I just don't consider nose color to have anything do with characteristics other then color.

"blues get even bigger, but he doesn't like them. he says they aren't as intelligent or trainable."

^And that just bugged me because I like blue pits. They're just as intelligent and trainable as a red pit and they don't get any bigger unless that's what the breeder is breeding for. AND did I mention I love blue pits. :) lol so I got a little angry. It just makes me wonder how much knowledge he has on Pits if he's saying something like that. I guess he's just a red nosed Pit lover and he's a little biased.

Yes they are cute bridgitthegreat and gentle as hell :)

I'm sorry I must have misread your post. I thought you were implying that red and blue nose pits were different when you were saying how "red nosed pits and several varieties of colbys get WAY bigger than that" when I'm sure any Pit Bull red,blue, black nosed could get big depending on how the breeders breed them, not just red nose. I guess it's just because you have more experience with red pit bulls. I just don't consider nose color to have anything do with characteristics other then color.

i figured you had misunderstood what i was saying, but reading back over my post, i didn't write a very good explination either. why didn't you just read my mind, damnit :lol: . i've typed all of this while i'm at work, in between customers. sometimes i get in a hurry and maybe don't write something correctly.

"blues get even bigger, but he doesn't like them. he says they aren't as intelligent or trainable."

^And that just bugged me because I like blue pits. They're just as intelligent and trainable as a red pit and they don't get any bigger unless that's what the breeder is breeding for. AND did I mention I love blue pits. :) lol so I got a little angry. It just makes me wonder how much knowledge he has on Pits if he's saying something like that. I guess he's just a red nosed Pit lover and he's a little biased.

IDK. i said initially that i don't know anything about them. maybe ty had a bad experience with some blues. maybe someone else told him that so he's never tried them. maybe it's like liking ford or chevy ;) . i honestly don't know why he thinks that.

anyway, like i said a few posts up, i'm burnt out on this thread. thank you for your input. you seem intelligent & passionate about animals. that makes you cool in my book :tu: .

I found this photo (had to sneek into my ex-husbands MSN Spaces to get it LOL) of my Lab/Pit/Dane mix... he was such a beauty, such a big dope, such a sweetheart... BUT, he did catch a kid who tried to break into our backyard. The kid reached his arm through the fence and the dog grabbed on to his arm, then yanked and kept him pinned up against the other side of the fence until the police got there (the kid was already being chased by the cops). PRobably a good thing the fence kept the kid and dog separated, or I think ti could have been a very different outcome. See his pretty pink nose? :D

The hairy greek dude would be my exhusband, this pictures must have been taken when Codes was just over a year old. The fish is a REALLY REALLY big Steelhead. Cody's mamma was a pit/lab mix, his pappa was a Dane. What you can't tell in this pic is that this dog was tall... his backend was slightly higher than the front,,, we called him affectionately, the "Sloper Dog".

Cody, 1990-2003.

post-50202-1232493701_thumb.jpg

Edited by MissMelsWell

kool

I know I can't post petitions on this forum so I'm not going to. If you feel the need to do something about this then look up Petition H.B 191. AND watch the video. It always makes me cry. It's on the sight with the petion. K that's all. :)

Little tired of hearing bad stories about pits, attacking people and eating babies etc.,

just once I'd like to hear "Pet Pitbull pulls man from burning building".

It's hardly the dog's fault that the owners are dumbed enough to buy dangerous hounds.

Little tired of hearing bad stories about pits, attacking people and eating babies etc.,

just once I'd like to hear "Pet Pitbull pulls man from burning building".

It's hardly the dog's fault that the owners are dumbed enough to buy dangerous hounds.

here you go johnny. this is some "feel good" information about pits from earlier in the thread:

Pit Bulls serve as therapy/service dogs. The Chako Rescue Association has Pit Bull therapy dogs in Texas, Utah and California. Helen Keller even had a Pit Bull as her canine companion and helper. Cheyenne and Dakota are a team of hard-working Search-and-Rescue Pit Bulls in Sacramento, California. They play an important role in their community by locating missing people in conjunction with the local Sheriff. In their off-duty hours, they do charity work as therapy dogs.

Petey, the faithful dog on the TV show, The Little Rascals, was a Pit Bull. He spent countless hours with children day after day and never hurt anyone. He was one of the most intelligent Hollywood dogs of all time.

There are quite a few celebrities who have Pit Bulls as members of their family including: Rosie Perez, The Crocodile Hunter, Judd Nelson, Usher, Alicia Silverstone, Cassandra Creech, Sinbad, John Stuart, Amy Jo Johnson, Linda Blair, Vin Diesel, and Bernadette Peters.

Pit Bulls are heroes! America's first war dog was a Pit Bull named Stubby. He earned several medals during World War I and was honored at the White House. The Ken-L-Ration dog hero of 1993 was a Pit Bull named Weela. She saved 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses and a cat during a flood in Southern California. A Pit Bull named Bogart saved a four-year-old child from drowning in a swimming pool in Florida. Dixie, the Pit Bull, was inducted into the Georgia Animal Hall of Fame after she saved some children from a Cottonmouth snake.

Sweet!

Thanks for the update, Brigit. <3

That's wonderful news.

--

If the bill did pass. People would still have pitbulls. The bill wouldn't matter and make a difference.

I'd like to know why the kid was looking over the fence anyway :rolleyes:

I'd like to know why the kid was looking over the fence anyway :rolleyes:

lol - i was wondering the same thing.

I was taught froma n early age that you don't go looking into other peoples yards. I was also told that you don't go running up to strange dogs. I had about 10 children come up and pat Molly when I took her to the Australia Day fireworks. Only one kid (he would've been about 5) kept his distance until he had asked if he could pat her. That's a smart kid. Molly wouldn't bite anyone, but you never trust a strange dog :ph34r:

Totally agree- you don't go poking your nose into someone else's property. It's a harsh lesson for the kid, but there it is.

When I was a kid our family pet was a pekingnese. Man, he was a feisty little dog. We lived down the road from the school and there were always parents knocking on the door to complain that little Johnny had been bitten. But then my Grandmother would point out that if the kids lean over our wall to pick her roses from the garden- they'll can't whinge when our dog protects his territory. The kids usually got into trouble then of course as they'd not told Ma they'd been doing something they shouldn't have.

Wow I bet the dog didn't even bite that little girl. Just a little chunk out of the eyebrow, the dog probably jumped up with it's mouth open and hit her with a tooth out of excitment not aggression. Plus she shouldn't have been looking over the fence. If I was that dogs owner I would be extremely p***ed. It's the mothers fault, she shouldn't have let her child look over the fence and if it was the kind of fence you can look over wouldn't the mother notice the dog on the other side? She has a GSD mix and she's talking about Pits being a time bomb waiting to go off..wow. Doesn't she know that GSDs are considered dangerous dogs right up there with Pits, Dobies, and Rotties.

I think my favorite comment would have to be this: "I just think that the residents would be better served with a law that would encompass all breeds of dog, all bad dog behavior, and not a specific breed," said Devine"