Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

oklahoma lake monster

Celticfan34

Does any one believe this thing could exist out there. I had never heard of it until I saw lost tapes on animal planet, what does everyone think does it exist or is it fake?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drago

• catutie

• Stormcrow

• Undeadskeptic

Does any one believe this thing could exist out there. I had never heard of it until I saw lost tapes on animal planet, what does everyone think does it exist or is it fake?

Most likely fake, but still fun to think it exists. I had no idea it was a legend until lost tapes ether.

Whoa, hold on there a minute buddy. Oklahoma lake monster? I need more information, if this is close I might need to go check it out for myself.

Whoa, hold on there a minute buddy. Oklahoma lake monster? I need more information, if this is close I might need to go check it out for myself.

Are you talking about the Oklahoma Octopus? That's less than an hour's drive away!

That is the one, watch the episode of lost tapes called "Oklahoma Octopus" and get a general view of it. Just don't get sucked underwater. :D

A another Lake Monster. Hmmm....I wonder how many of these lake monsters are there.

Probably just a Sturgeon.

Although this just gave me an idea for a another Novel to write after I finish my other two.

I live in Oklahoma. We have a... Very long tradition of fish stories here. One that keeps cropping up is centered in Broken Bow Lake. The story goes that two unidentified divers were checking underwater for a good place to build the Broken Bow Dam. They found a cavern in some rock and one of the divers was curious and looked in.

The story then deviates one of two ways: Either one of the divers turns on a light and sees the reflection from a massive eye staring back at him, or they both turn their lights on and illuminate the entire head of the beast, which is supposedly a massive catfish large enough that it could have swallowed both of them whole.

Of course no one ever identifies the divers or says exactly where they were looking to find this cavern, which would probably be buried under the dam at this point in the lake's history.

Of more interest to most people is the alligators that we know for a fact are in the lake.

I live in Oklahoma. We have a... Very long tradition of fish stories here. One that keeps cropping up is centered in Broken Bow Lake. The story goes that two unidentified divers were checking underwater for a good place to build the Broken Bow Dam. They found a cavern in some rock and one of the divers was curious and looked in.

The story then deviates one of two ways: Either one of the divers turns on a light and sees the reflection from a massive eye staring back at him, or they both turn their lights on and illuminate the entire head of the beast, which is supposedly a massive catfish large enough that it could have swallowed both of them whole.

Of course no one ever identifies the divers or says exactly where they were looking to find this cavern, which would probably be buried under the dam at this point in the lake's history.

Of more interest to most people is the alligators that we know for a fact are in the lake.

Alligators. Impossible. Their only found in the south eastern of the USA in Louisana, and Florida.

Edited by MysteryMike

"American aligators are found in the southeastern United States: all of Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, Eastern Texas, the southeastern corner of Oklahoma and the southern tip of Arkansas."

-Wikipedia

Alligators. Impossible. Their only found in the south eastern of the USA in Louisana, and Florida.

Haven't you seen that movie?! Lake Placid ('course, takes place in Maine, but same idea!).

Anyway, as far as animal migration (or disposing of exotic pets), you really have no idea what's possible...

An anaconda was found in the northern area of Lexington (Kentucky) in the 90s, and I'm guilty of losing a 7ft iguana when I was about six. He got too big to stay inside the house 24/7 so we got a harness to take him outside for walks, and he jerked the leash out of my hand (7ft iguana versus 6 year old girl? Not a difficult decision) and disappeared into the alfalfa field. We looked for him for days, and the only thing I turned up was a turtle. We also had a cockatiel fly to our house from some unknown region of the world. :lol: NOT! to mention the black jag that was shot in Missouri sometime later last year. The list goes on.

Just had to post. x)

Given that, I don't think it would be impossible that a group of fresh water octopus lives in the lake. You can seriously turn up some weird stuff.

Supposedly the alligators were accidentally introduced to the lake when they were purposefully introduced into a wildlife refuge at a nearby river. That's the widely believed version of events, as they definitely aren't native to it.

Supposedly the alligators were accidentally introduced to the lake when they were purposefully introduced into a wildlife refuge at a nearby river. That's the widely believed version of events, as they definitely aren't native to it.

I think it sounds more reasonable than some reptile collector dumping them for some reason or another. At least there's not a (great) element of mystery as to why they're there. :lol:

And Paraná of South America are only suppose to be found only in South America, yet a Young Boy Fishing caught a Parana’ with a Mouth full of Very Sharp teeth thousands of miles away in North America, here in Oregon in the Long Tom River just west of the Willamette River north of Eugene many summers back, Invasive Species are all over, there is not a State in the U.S.A. that is not impacted by Invasive Species and what to say the Alligator is not a Natural predator of that region but are in very small numbers, of a released Pet turned Invasive Species…Alligators Living in Oklahoma Lakes are not impossibility at all, not to be confused with the Alligator Gar Fish a very long Narrow Fish with Many Very sharp Teeth.

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

Gar are FUN. They're nasty looking fish, like somebody took an alligator head, squished it down narrow, and stuck it on a big fish body with some armor-scales thrown in for extra measure. Not much use foodwise (Unless prepared very, very carefully, chewing a piece of gar is supposedly 'like chewing on a piece of cotton flavored chewing gum,') but they fight like crazy and are great fun to catch. The release is the hard part - getting your hands anywhere near a gar's mouth is just asking for trouble.

The alligator isn't technically an invasive species here though. I do live in the extreme southeast tip of Oklahoma, and gators do live here naturally. Just not in that lake or river system. They were introduced to the river system as a conservation project, and they spread out from there, though no one is really sure how far. At one point, one of them decided to go for a walk not long after the introduction, and wound up on the highway near a bridge over the river! There was a big deal about that, since most people didn't expect them to really move like that. They picked it up okay and moved it to another river though.

well if this monster was on lost tapes then it has to be real................not. i think that it is fake. there are waaaay to many lake monsters. i learn about a new one everyday. people have way to active imaginations some times.

Gar are FUN. They're nasty looking fish, like somebody took an alligator head, squished it down narrow, and stuck it on a big fish body with some armor-scales thrown in for extra measure. Not much use foodwise (Unless prepared very, very carefully, chewing a piece of gar is supposedly 'like chewing on a piece of cotton flavored chewing gum,') but they fight like crazy and are great fun to catch. The release is the hard part - getting your hands anywhere near a gar's mouth is just asking for trouble.

JESUS. We weren't allowed to play in the water as kids because of alligator gar. XD Scary as freaking hell, those things. I think most lake monsters here in KY are most likely alligator gars, because they're just so prehistoric looking.

well if this monster was on lost tapes then it has to be real................not. i think that it is fake. there are waaaay to many lake monsters. i learn about a new one everyday. people have way to active imaginations some times.

Lake monster isn't technically the same as large fresh water octopus. I don't particularly know why a known animal is being considered a "monster".

One funny thing I found was two of the lakes of people seeing these animals are both man made. So it would have to be something brought in.

wait what was brought in the octopus or the alligators??? :-/

The octopus. Two of the three lakes it's famous for being seen in are artificial. Man-made.

Alligators have been sighted and confirmed in several southeastern Oklahoma lakes, such as Hugo, which is not far from Broken Bow Reservoir. It is a fact that they are migrating northward.

As to the catfish tale about Broken Bow, it is a sort of "urban legend" as you can hear variants about most large lakes. It usually goes something like, "divers were down at the bottom of the dam trying to repair a leak. They spotted catfish bigger than they were and now most scuba divers will not go down there". I've heard the same thing about Table Rock in Missouri and Barkley/Kentucky Lake in Kentucky and Tennessee.

There are a lot of strange tales about Oologah Lake. One claims that there is an alien base in the middle of it which flying saucers come and go from.

Well whatever is in that lake.

It could be an unknown species of large Freshwater Octopus or maybe just a Sturgeon.

It reveals Sturgeons are reasons for the Loch Ness Monster sightings due to the fact they can grow to be 20 feet long.

OK, first off. That show is crap. The acting is awful and you don't see the monster. Second this whole story is BS, I'm going to bed.