Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is LOST so familiar

MysticOnion

The popular TV series LOST seems so familiar to me somehow and yet I can't quite place where or when I heard about certain things. You know when they were down the hatch pressing a computer button every 108 minutes? I read that somewhere a long time ago - maybe back in the seventies when I was young but I don't remember where I read it or if I saw it on a TV programme or what? The whole Dharma initiative thing is very familiar too - again something out of the 1970s. Its as if I sort of remember something but I am not quite sure - can anyone shed any light on this at all?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MysticOnion

• eight bits

• Agent X

• Dementis Inferi

Supposedly, Lost is heavily influenced by James Hilton's novel. Lost Horizon, which was made into a classic 1930's film.

In the 1970's it was made into a movie musical

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070337/

Maybe that accounts for some of your associations.

Supposedly, Lost is heavily influenced by James Hilton's novel. Lost Horizon, which was made into a classic 1930's film.

In the 1970's it was made into a movie musical

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070337/

Maybe that accounts for some of your associations.

Hmm... I don't recall ever seeing that but I was very young - maybe I watched it with my Dad or something. I seem to remember a show a bit like the prisoner or six million dollar man or wonder woman - something like that...

Well, the bomb that is activated automatically when it detects that it has been attacked might be Dr. Strangelove.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

But the idea of personally deactivating a ticking bomb is a staple of many, many melodramas. Always "just in the nick of time," too :).

And never cut the green wire! (or is it always cut the green wire?)...

Well, the bomb that is activated automatically when it detects that it has been attacked might be Dr. Strangelove.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

But the idea of personally deactivating a ticking bomb is a staple of many, many melodramas. Always "just in the nick of time," too :).

And never cut the green wire! (or is it always cut the green wire?)...

LOL - I love those series - but I dont think I ever watched Strangelove.... or maybe I did ...

I have always been interested in old sci fi series - some of the concepts were great and as a kid I gazed in wonder at my TV set wondering if we'd ever have a real six million dollar man...

LOST seems to have that quality but its as if- I dunno.. maybe its like the stuff of dreams... the sort of thing you daydream about maybe.

I like LOST. It's one of the few really interesting and engaging shows these days.

I like LOST. It's one of the few really interesting and engaging shows these days.

i love the programme it gets your brain working and there is not many t.v shows that can do that at the mo.

Back to the real question y it might be familliar, i was told it based on a book a very dark book about death, couldn't tell u if its true or not.

post-83359-1232319722_thumb.jpg

I think it is terrible.

I think it is terrible.

Do you mean terrible as in horrifying/grotesque/scary or

terrible as in not very good/c**p?

The popular TV series LOST seems so familiar to me somehow and yet I can't quite place where or when I heard about certain things. You know when they were down the hatch pressing a computer button every 108 minutes? I read that somewhere a long time ago - maybe back in the seventies when I was young but I don't remember where I read it or if I saw it on a TV programme or what? The whole Dharma initiative thing is very familiar too - again something out of the 1970s. Its as if I sort of remember something but I am not quite sure - can anyone shed any light on this at all?

The show draws on many influences to synthesize the plot and look of the show. So it's quite possible that you may have seen some of the source material...

Sort of like "Harry Potter" - it's a modern synthesis of bits and pieces of many sources that came before it.

• 7 months later...

Hi, first time poster.

I really remember in 1967 seeing a black and white tv commercial for these people because of the bare chested guys working in a tropical environment. Totally new to me. Did the army advertise on tv in 1967? I was very interested.

I LOVE LOST!

• 11 months later...

Hi i am Jennifer.

I love lost TV show. MY all friends watch this show. This is still very famous show.

If you've ever seen Gilligan's Island, then you've seen Lost.

The two series are actually quite a bit alike. Lost is just more serious.

There's lots of weird things happening, even incidents of time travel, and of course, there's weird scientists who can do anything but get them off the island.

I also enjoyed LOST right to the very end. It seems I was one of the only people on Earth (besides my GF) who enjoyed the very emotional ending, too.

I also agree with the others on the fact that you've likely encountered the source material before. Cuse and Lindelof draw upon many influences from literature, tv, film and theatre to tie the show together.

Just look at the cultural and literary references for one single episode (arguably the best episode of the show) and you'll see.

Season 4 [Episode 5] - The Constant's references

I felt the way Lost ended, while not perfect, was wonderful and fitting to the general theme of the show. And I balled my eyes out. :)

Lost borrowed from many, many sources for the story. The show gives a lot of nods to the source materials with all the books seen in the hatch or quoted by the characters or read in the book club etc.

Readers of Kurt Vonnegut especially will notice a lot of parallels.

I'm a huge fan of the show and I thought it may interest you to know that the Dharma Initiative was an actual organisation developed a long time ago. On youtube you can look up "Dharma Initiative - Mysteries of the Universe"

Mysteries of the Universe was a real show in the 70's or something. Maybe it'll ring a bell.

Plus, the Lost producers added as much stuff about realistic history into the show. All the books they refer to in the show have some kind of historical importance or at least are real and relate to the storyline of Lost somehow.

Some examples are A Separate Reality by Carlos Casteneda or Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. It's fun finding all the secret stuff they hide away in the show!

• 2 months later...

If you've ever seen Gilligan's Island, then you've seen Lost.

The two series are actually quite a bit alike. Lost is just more serious.

There's lots of weird things happening, even incidents of time travel, and of course, there's weird scientists who can do anything but get them off the island.

You are rite friend.